Follow

Joe Madureira

Person » Joe Madureira is credited in 301 issues.

An American comic book artist known for his Japanese manga style.

Good Talent on Off Brand

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Grey56

I love Joe Mad's work. Really I don't know if I've ever encountered someone who said they hated it. In all my years of reading I cannot think of a soul whom has ever expounded " I do not like this man's work. ". Maybe under the influence they might have. Yet straight faced - it's hard to not appreciate the technical application of the man's craft. And this is true from each of the historical contexts be they from Uncanny to Battle Chasers or even in the other mediums found in Darksiders.

All this being said - I love it when I hear the man is coming out with a new project. Anytime you have that type of talent coming into the industry it's good, no matter where - and I concede that. The rub though is where it gets applied. Look - I get it; comics is business and business is a ride that takes quarters just like all the others. So when a publisher has a title ( new or old ) that they want to push - you set up some top name folks to write/illustrate for a quick 4 or 6 issues to get it on the move. More books = more pull list titles = profit.

So, why not just get that same talent on the mainstream titles ? Look at what Mad did recently on whatever Spidey title he was on. I can't even remember the title as I fumed to the wife about how I was hacked they didn't just stick him on Amazing. I'm not a regular reader of any Spidey title, truly. But you can bet a hot buck that I'd be picking up Amazing if Mad was helming the art - even if they had a 2nd Grader doing the writing. This is a story which is similar to so many others throughout the industry; plug and play on a title to make the money wheel spin.

All kidding aside though - love the man's work. And this is just my simple way of opining about how I'd love to see him come back to a mainstream work. Hell, I'd love it if he'd pick up Battle Chasers again if he could get the rights to do so. That in it of itself is a subject for more blogging. As it is though, I feel a little relieved now that I've gotten that thought out of my system.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.