Follow

J.K. Rowling

Character » J.K. Rowling appears in 11 issues.

Real-life author of the Harry Potter series.

Character inspiration in Edinburgh!

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

We recently had our honeymoon in Edinburgh and while there we went on a haunted tour! It went through a cemetery called the Greyfriars Bobby cemetery in Edinburgh (Scotland), it was said that JK Rowling was inspired by the place to write her Harry Potter series!! We were told she used to hang out in the cemetery at lunch and wander about looking at all the stones.

We were shown around the graveyard after the tour as we expressed an interest in seeing what may have inspired her... and here are some pics for you harry potter fans! 

the big building in the back is called Harriets school for gifted children.. supposed to have inspired Hogwarts
     the big building in the back is called Harriets school for gifted children.. supposed to have inspired Hogwarts

Professor mcGonagall?
     Professor mcGonagall?

VOLDERMORT!!!! 
     VOLDERMORT!!!! 
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @.Mistress Redhead.:  i went on that tour when i went to Edinburgh myself , it was pre Potter thou. Cool that you found the scenes of inspiration last one is semi creepy lol.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazystudent: oh really?! it was fun hey? I got SUPER creeped out in the cemetery and did not go into the place with the poltergeist O_O but it was a great tour, we had a blast with the guy who did it, he was soo cool
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @.Mistress Redhead.:  yeah was fun thou quite a few years ago now i went. Cemetary wasnt plesent was very cold and snowing when i went to lol . I am preety sure i went into the poltergiest place since i wanted to check it out , i had a woman take more tour thou lol
    SystemID

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SystemID

I went on this tour with my family when I was 15... gorgeous but would never ever ever want to live there. Nice pictures.

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazystudent said:
    " @.Mistress Redhead.:  yeah was fun thou quite a few years ago now i went. Cemetary wasnt plesent was very cold and snowing when i went to lol . I am preety sure i went into the poltergiest place since i wanted to check it out , i had a woman take more tour thou lol "
    we heard that people have been attacked there, I just got a really off feeling and could not go inside... o_O I scare easily lol 

@SystemID said:
    " I went on this tour with my family when I was 15... gorgeous but would never ever ever want to live there. Nice pictures. "
    Agreed, it would be tough to live there.
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @.Mistress Redhead.:  yeha i am sure they mentioned people being attacked by this ghostly pressence , i just fancied i wouldnt be one of um at the time lol
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lazystudent said:
    " @.Mistress Redhead.:  yeha i am sure they mentioned people being attacked by this ghostly pressence , i just fancied i wouldnt be one of um at the time lol "
    Idk it could be all hype lol
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @.Mistress Redhead.:  it could be or perhaps i was a victim and so traumatized i choose to say nothing happened lol
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mercy_

Niceeeee

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By CellphoneGirl

That is so cool ^_^ I never knew this before.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By xerox_kitty

Yeah, I've been on different ghost tours around Edinburgh.  Most of them take you through that grave yard with tales of Greyfriars Bobby, Burke & Hare, and of course... Harry Potter :p

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

First of all, congrats again on tying the knot, and I hope you loved your Honeymoon :)

Second of all, I'm sorry, but I have to have a shot at HP. Look away if you love the series and don't want to read the following sarcastic comment;

"Wait a second, the Harry Potter series has characters? I thought it was just a bunch of blank faces with names and clichés ascribed to them."

.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox-kitty said:
    " Yeah, I've been on different ghost tours around Edinburgh.  Most of them take you through that grave yard with tales of Greyfriars Bobby, Burke & Hare, and of course... Harry Potter :p "
    well they all go hand in hand ;p 
    suikoden352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By suikoden352

congrats on tying the knot and hope you 2 have a wonderful and long marriage. very kewl how you got to see all that stuff. rowling did suffer through big time depression though and you see in the documentary on the HP6 special features disc how she would walk around weird and creepy places like that because of it and also hear what her thoughts were as she wrote the series. it's really compelling and worth the watch.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Magian

It looks nice and spooky.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.