'Repo Man' Interview With Jimmy Palmiotti and Dennis Calero

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a lot more common to see films based on comic books than vice-versa. What I also noticed is that the quality of many licensed products is not always, well, the best. However, I can not say this for the motion comic based on the upcoming movie 'Repo Men.'  The gorgeous short adaptation of the upcoming film is brilliantly executed, with a script written by comic writer Jimmy Palmiotti ( Power Girl) and Eric Garcia ('Repo Men' screenwriter). The art in the motion comic is done by artist Dennis Calero. We recently caught up with Jimmy and Dennis to ask them a few question about the differences between working on a print comic versus a motion comic, and they had a lot to say. Check out the motion comic above, directed by Repo Men film director Miguel Sapochnik, and the brief interview with the two creators below. Repo Men hits theaters this Friday, March 17th. The motion comic is also available for download on iTunes.

Comic Vine: How did you get approached to write the script for the 'Repo Man' motion comic?
Jimmy Palmiotti: Jeff Krelitz gave me a call telling me about the project and if I was interested in writing two shorts for it. After watching some parts of the film and reading the screenplay I got the feel of what they wanted and heard the “voices” of the characters in my head and it was pretty easy to dig in from there. I had a lot of good, solid direction.
Dennis Calero: Jeff Krelitz, the producer, and I, had discussed turning Xmen Noir into a motion comic a few years ago.  When the oppurtunity to work on Repo Men, I jumped at the chance.

CV: Is writing a comic script different from writing motion comic?
JP: Its different because there is a bit more direction and time restraints…but I have written for both animation and live action film before, so it really wasn’t a problem. In the end, its all about getting your character defined clearly and telling the story at hand so the point comes across. Its what I do on a daily basis..

CV: Jimmy, what is the script writing process like when you are working with a director like you did with Miguel Sapochnik and Dennis what is it like having a director?
JP: Well, we were doing two different jobs and he has enough talent that I wasn’t worried how he would handle what I was writing. My direction in the script was limited to setting up the situation and getting the point across. When you are working with someone with that much talent, you know handing it off and letting him do their thing will only make the piece even better. I was pretty excited about what Miguel was doing and when I saw the final treatment, even more pleased. I think what he put together with Dennis Calero’s illustrations is simply perfect.
DC: Odd!  Ha!  It was weird, but a satisfying way to collaborate.  I actually learned a lot from Mig, and still am as we work on part 2.  I didn't get to work with Jimmy directly with the first script, so it was much more about working with Mig.  Again, the director had a very cinematic approach to working on the art, and it mainly involved the motion of the "camera."  When you do static artwork, a lot of it is about implying motion and depth, but in this case, we could actually have motion, as well as sound and hearing Jude Law's actual voice come out of my drawing was weird, I assure you.

CV:  How did you prepare? Did you watch the film?If so, did you enjoy it?
JP: I read the script and watch a ton of scenes to get the voice of the characters and feel for the world. I was instantly in love in what I was seeing so again, it was an easy gig. I loved it.
DC: Mig, the director, came from storyboarding and illustration work in film, so he had a plethora of material generated, including complete 3D walk-throughs of the sets for me to look at.  Images of all the equipment plus I did get to see about third of the film, which was fun and dark and oddly humorous, which is a lot like me, actually.

CV: Jimmy, how was it writing with Eric Garcia?
JP: Well, I am a fan of his work…really enjoyed what he did with matchstick men and loved the screenplay for repo men, so knowing what I was working on not only had his blessing… but his talent as well on the script…well, was really exciting for me. The world he creates and the characters he brings to life are so vibrant and flushed out…this was a real treat for me to even be considered for.

CV: Dennis, is it very different drawing for a motion comic opposed to a regular comic? What is the process like?
DC: For me it was.  usually when Double Barrel gets artwork, it's standard sheet work that they have to then digital cut apart and animate.  Because of the way I work, inking primarily digitally, I could actually give them layered fieles which made it easier for them to animate and we could actually have a wider discussion before the art was created.

CV: Is the script for a motion comic much different than a regular comic strip?
DC:  The script isn't, no, but what you do with it is.  The writer calls for a lot of stuff, you know, visually, which gets altered or thrown out as the director decides on different ways to approach the presentation of a scene.  So in a way, I suppose it's a lot like a movie in that aspect.
#1 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio

kind of lost, but ive heard a few people say this has a small bit to
do with the Repo Man musical. anyone confirm that?

#2 Posted by Harlekin (680 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks very similar to Repo the Musical except theirs no music in this one. I still have interest in this but no thanks to the commercials but I have seen some good interviews so that gives me some hopes that this movie doesn't suck.

#3 Posted by MichaeltheFly (6555 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I am in love.

#4 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew she would be a repo victim as soon as i started watching this.

#5 Posted by ninjasquirrel01 (85 posts) - - Show Bio

That concept seems pretty dumb.

#6 Posted by Lokein.Lyesmith (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I refuse to watch this sad, sad excuse for a rip-off.  Repo! The Genetic Opera came out a YEAR before the book this movie is "based" on. The similarities between Repo Men and Repo! are far too close. Please check out the links below.
  http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_17257.html 
 http://spookydan.com/web/2010/02/proof-that-universal%E2%80%99s-repo-men-ripped%E2%80%93off-repo-the-genetic-opera-see-for-yourself/

#7 Posted by NightFang (10070 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that was just cold!

#8 Posted by sora_thekey (8175 posts) - - Show Bio

Did not know there was amovie coming out... 
Loved the Motion Comic BTW!
#9 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3555 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: 
Ha, I knew the movie was coming out, but I didn't know it was based on a comic.

It looks pretty cool.
#10 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt said:
" @sora_thekey:  Ha, I knew the movie was coming out, but I didn't know it was based on a comic.  It looks pretty cool. "
It isn't. The comic is based on the movie
#11 Posted by sora_thekey (8175 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:
" @sora_thekey:  Ha, I knew the movie was coming out, but I didn't know it was based on a comic.  It looks pretty cool. "
It isn't. The comic is based on the movie "

Didn't know that either.... 
This should be intresting! It doesn't happen a lot... 

WAIT! So that was really Jude law's voice? 
I knew it sounded familiar!
#12 Posted by inferiorego (24982 posts) - - Show Bio

Great interview Babs!

Staff
#13 Edited by grimm (525 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lokein.Lyesmith said:

" I refuse to watch this sad, sad excuse for a rip-off.  Repo! The Genetic Opera came out a YEAR before the book this movie is "based" on. The similarities between Repo Men and Repo! are far too close. Please check out the links below.   http://www.horror-movies.ca/horror_17257.html   http://spookydan.com/web/2010/02/proof-that-universal%E2%80%99s-repo-men-ripped%E2%80%93off-repo-the-genetic-opera-see-for-yourself/ " @Lokein.Lyesmith:

It was more than a year. They started doing Repo as a stage production in like 2001. This movie is basically exactly the same except it doesn't have Anthony Stewart Head. I'm really surprised nobody from the original Repo has said anything. I'd be really pissed...
#14 Posted by Lokein.Lyesmith (37 posts) - - Show Bio
@grimm:  Well, it was year from the release of the movie, is what I meant. They've got documentation on doing Repo! for about 10 years now.
#15 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey: Really? Cause I said that it was a motion comic based on the movie in the second sentence.
#16 Posted by ClockworkDrago (102 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lokein.Lyesmith: they even gave out comic books as a gift to the people who watched REPO! on the festival circuit
I watched some of the featurettes on the oficial movie site and the director talked about how people wanted the movie to be done just not with music and since REPO! The genetic opera is some cult flik studios thought they could take the idea but make it more badass

#17 Posted by Lokein.Lyesmith (37 posts) - - Show Bio
@ClockworkDrago:   http://spookydan.com/web/2010/03/repo-men-reviews-are-coming-in-and-it-isn%E2%80%99t-pretty/ Obviously, it's getting rave reviews... lawl
#18 Posted by sora_thekey (8175 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs: I read wrong... My bad...
#19 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3555 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @FoxxFireArt said:
It isn't. The comic is based on the movie "
Well, this is a prime example as to why I should actually read a story before posting a comment. Sorry 'bout that.
I was just glancing through the comments and saw that comment.

Now that I'm done making an utter fool out of myself. lol
The motion comic was alright. Pretty predictable. I mean, how idiotic could this woman be? She must of known that she was overdue. She also knew what he does for a living and didn't even seem to react until he mentioned her son.
It does point out an interesting aspect of organ donation. It's kind of the truth when it comes to things like livers. Sometimes you will get a person who gets a new liver and just keep drinking. I bet that would be even more frequent if artificial livers were a reality.

I wonder if this movie does well it could open up a wider discussion about the human drama that is organ donations. You read some of those stories and it's utterly tragic. Just one of the many reasons I was so pissed when there was that ban on stem cell research. It's that research that could possibly lead to drastic improvements in issues like organ replacements and tissue rejection.
#20 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lokein.Lyesmith: 
so its not based, nor with permission? just pretty much they lifted it?
is it that this is a just a similar and familiar concept being used and
the movies are different ? just curious either way, non-effectual on my
end but it seems to be the biggest news revolving this. if so i do think it
is curious that the originators have nothing to say that they werent at least
mentioned as an inspiration?

#21 Posted by Lokein.Lyesmith (37 posts) - - Show Bio
@CATMANEXE:  Yup. Like I said, Repo! is something they've been working on in clubs and stuff for around 10 years. They finally made it into a movie in 2008. In 2009 a book called Repossession Mambo came out. That's the book that Repo Men is based on. They took the same basic story line "Evil companies head repo man goes AWOL, finding out that his entire career has been a set up to use him for said evil companies own nefarious scheme." Repo! has a drug they use called Zydrate, that people steal and sell illegally on the street. They call it Z. It's a blue glowly liquid. Repo Men's drug is called Q and it's a red glittery powder. 

yeeeeaaaah.
#22 Posted by CATMANEXE (17052 posts) - - Show Bio
@Lokein.Lyesmith: 
i know the Genetic Opera is highly loved and celebrated.
from my understanding though Repo Men hasnt come out yet,
so it would still be hard to say. Im big on musicals, especially
demented rock ones, but have never gotten to RPTGO, other
than listening to some of the music. now considering the fan base
of Genetic Opera, if Repo Man does end up being a direct lift, i hope
they will then at least have the decency to credit the original.
#23 Posted by The Sharp Dressed Lady (285 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @sora_thekey: Really? Cause I said that it was a motion comic based on the movie in the second sentence. "
The third sentence, Babs.

CV has been "pimping" this chinky knockoff junk from across the ocean a lot lately. It's not exactly your most popular material, obviously. Let's focus on comics.
#24 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3555 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Sharp Dressed Lady said:

" @Babs said:

" @sora_thekey: Really? Cause I said that it was a motion comic based on the movie in the second sentence. "

The third sentence, Babs.CV has been "pimping" this chinky knockoff junk from across the ocean a lot lately. It's not exactly your most popular material, obviously. Let's focus on comics. "
Nitpicking a ladies statement aside. As if it really matters if it was the second or third sentence. I really have to ask. What does this mean: 

The Sharp Dressed Lady

said:

" - this chinky knockoff junk from across the ocean - " 

I just certainly hope it isn't as bad as it sounds. Not to mention, in your assertion that everyone on the site focus on "comics". What part of "Motion COMIC" did you not quite grasp?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.