Follow

Jimmy Carter

Character » Jimmy Carter appears in 192 issues.

James Earl Carter Jr. is an American politician, philanthropist, and former farmer who served as the 39th president of the United States from 1977 to 1981. A member of the Democratic Party, he previously served as a Georgia State Senator from 1963 to 1967 and as the 76th governor of Georgia from 1971 to 1975. Since leaving the presidency, Carter has remained active in the private sector; in 2002, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his work in co-founding the Carter Center.

The Poet meets Jimmy

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

Edited By The Poet  Moderator

So, on Sunday, I’m sure you were wondering, “Where is The Poet? I want to congratulate him on the whole “ rigged election thing” (*whispers* that’s the angle I’m going with as things fit together too much…I mean hard work has never paid off before, has it?)!”   Now, instead of an excuse for my absence which involves a lama, a school bus and a xylophone, I use the presidential excuse.

See, at 4:30am Poetic Time (when a lot of you should be asleep, although I did get some congrats from some people who must be real vampires), I, The Poet, was traveling to Plains Georgia. Where is that? And why was I up at that ungodly hour? Easy, I was going to a very special church service.

I was going to worship then and there, although I am a member of a church elsewhere in [Censored], [Censored], because of one man: the President. Actually, the 39 president of the United States, Jimmy Carter!

Plaines is a small town, like the ones a you always hear about. It only has one restrant, one called Mom’s (isn’t that the stereotypical small town dinner?) and according to Wikipedia it has just over 600 people. When we got there, we sort of got lost (strange with such a small town), but after a local pointed us the right direction, we found the “Marantha Baptist Church” (don't ask me to pronounce it!).

Jan--the school teacher/guard
    Jan--the school teacher/guard

Now, I want to take the time to mention the fact that I was traveling with some members of my church and my mother (whom I will refer in this setting as “The Artist”). Anyway, The Artist had just been checked by the secret service agents and was getting her pocket book back, when one of the agents asked if a pair of sun glasses were her’s. As they were very stylish, she thought they were mine, although I had left my pair in the car. As it turns out, they were owned by another Secret Service agent, who was annoyed that his fellow agent had almost given away his glasses (“Hey, Those are mine! You’re giving way my sun glasses”). That was fun.

Anyway, the actual church was pretty small. It was just like any other church (though much smaller). However, it was different because

before the Sunday school taught by the former president, we were told the rules on photography (and such) by the former school teacher of one of Jimmy’s daughter, ms. Jan. She was a strong, forceful but kind spirit. Perfect for controlling the crowds.

Jimmy Carter
    Jimmy Carter

I’ll admit, when Jimmy set his bible on the little podium on the floor (he did not go to the pulpet as he is not a preacher, but a teacher), I was surprised. I had seen pictures and footage of the made during his presidentcy, but it had never occurred to be that his appearance would change in the years sense. However, when the 86 year young man spoke, it was like he was miraculously young again. He really is meant to do this sort of speaking; to teach and inform.

Being a Sunday school service, he spoke of Act 16:6-15 about a woman named Lydia who sold purple cloth. He also spoke about the world current events, such as the Japanese nuclear disaster, the devastation in the Midwest and most majorly   the “Arab spring” (the government turn over in the middle east). He told how his and Rosalyn( his wife)’s non profit “The Carter Fund” has been working in some of these countries and has provided aid to needy countries. He also mentioned how, when he was president, he had been working with the late Egyptian ruler, Admar Sadat, to build a monument on top of Mount Sinai where all people of any faith (Jew, Christian, etc.) could gather. Unfortunately, Sadat was killed after Carter got out of office, so the plans were never completed to make it a reality.

Jimmy Carter
    Jimmy Carter

The main idea of the Sunday school was the uncertainties in life; the moments where you ask, “Why did god want this to happen?” or “Why didn’t god answer my prayers?” Jimmy reasoned that when god closed a door, he opened another down the road. Fittingly, he concluded this talk (or lesson) with a minor talk about Garth Brooks. He told how Mr. Brooks had given him and Rosalyn their own private lesson and concert on music. He referenced Garth’s son “Unanswered Prayers”. He ended with a quote from Garth, “Happiness is not about getting what you want. Its about wanting what you got.”

When he was speaking, you could tell he was enjoying himself. A smile was always on his face. When he wasn’t smiling (which was rare), you could see the smile marks, showing that even through the stresses of being president.

I want to also add that even in older age, he is sharp. His humor was excellent and his wit was sharp (even up to Poet standards). He joked around with Jan and was quick to point out when she forgot to mention one two branches of the U.S. service corps (such as the navy and such). He really brought down the house in a way that the stereotypical Baptist preacher who came later in the actual service could have learned from. It was really cool that I was only a small isle (or several feet away) from such an important man.

I also found it cool that my mom, The Artist, bumped into the former president when coming out of the bathroom. She thanked the man for all he had done and he winked!

He is such a character and I’m glad I got to hear him speak. It was worth waking up at 4:30 am to see him!  

To see more picture from my trip to Plains: check out my photo volume here on Comic Vine " Poetic Pictures"

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By MrUnknown

Interesting! Looks like you had a nice time :)

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By The Poet  Moderator
    @MrUnknown said:
    indeed I did! though I sort of wish I had some Secret service sunglasses as a momento of the trip
    MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By MrUnknown
    @The Poet said:
    @MrUnknown said:
    indeed I did! though I sort of wish I had some Secret service sunglasses as a momento of the trip
    Haha is it to serve as a reminder that it wasn't just one crazy dream?! XD
    The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The Poet  Moderator
    @MrUnknown said:
    @The Poet said:
    @MrUnknown said:
    Haha is it to serve as a reminder that it wasn't just one crazy dream?! XD
    that and if someone complements my shades, I can just say, "Oh thanks, I stole them from a secret service agent!"  : )

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.