Follow

Jim Lee

Person » Jim Lee is credited in 1388 issues.

Jim Lee is a Korean-American artist and writer, who shot to fame with Marvel titles such as X-Men in the 90's. He created Wildstorm under Image Comics, which he later sold to DC Comics where he acted as Editorial Director. In 2010, he became Co-Publisher of DC Comics.

Jim Lee Addresses DC's Digital Move

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided
    Late Tuesday last night DC Comics quietly released their iPhone app on iTunes and we incidentally caught wind of the big news shortly after the release. 

Now, it is official. DC Comics has made the move to digital by teaming up with Comixology to release a comic reader iPhone/iPad app on iTunes. DC Source released the official word on the big move early this morning, and Comicvine caught up with DC Comics Co-Publisher Jim Lee to find out what his thoughts are on the decision to go digital, as well as the reason behind the very quiet release.

Because of the way Apple times the uploads of their new apps, we knew there was a good chance the DC app and our titles would be available late last night prior to our official announcement today. Because our titles were pre-loaded into the initial DC app, both the app and the titles appeared early in the app store. Going forward, we will have direct control over the release times of our digital titles.

That said, it's been especially gratifying for DC and the scores of employees who have put in many, many long hours to make this digital program a reality to see the extremely positive reception thus far online.  In fact, I couldn't sleep and spent most of the night drawing and periodically checking various comics sites as the news filtered out. It wasn't hard to notice a very tangible sense of excitement on many blogs and on twitter not just about the arrival of the app itself but the variety of titles DC had to offer. We plan on continuing to pleasantly surprise the fans as we add to our slate going forward!

== TEASER == 
    No Caption Provided
    If you are still not convinced that the release of comics on a digital platform is indeed a fantastic way for DC to branch out to readers both new and old alike, DC Comics will be releasing a ten page preview of Superman issue #700 on their app today in celebration of the release. Additionally, by downloading the DC Comics app, readers will be able to read their downloaded DC titles on all Comixology platforms. 

Once readers download an issue, they will be able to read it on all DC Comics-branded Comics by comiXology-supported platforms,” said David Steinberger, CEO of comiXology. “DC’s taking a bold approach to platform convergence, and we’re thrilled to be their solution of choice.”

For fans who remain unconvinced by the digital idea, this is a fantastic way for them to test it out themselves for free. Another great thing about this app is the Retailer Affiliate program which will invest revenue from the digital comics "back to and on behalf of comic book retailers. It is nice to know they have not forgotten about the local comic shops! Do you think that DC's quiet reveal of their digital app was a good move? Do you feel differently now about the new app considering the Retailer Affiliate program? Will you be testing out the new reader?

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By bingbangboom

Bout time and seems they are playing catch up. Almost every other major comic publisher has an app, I am sure even Archie Comics had an app before DC. So now it seems that they are playing catch up to Marvel. Not only that but the app keeps crashing so I can't download anything. I have the comixology, Marvel and Boom app. They all work fine so don't know why the crashing.

inkpimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By inkpimp

Got my email this morning and I have to say I'm loving this move. I also think we're seeing the benefit of a co-publisher who is so tuned in to the digital world. This really makes me want an iPad. Damn i guess I better get back to work. 

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By doordoor123

Im still unconvinced.  Jim Lee keeps pushing the idea of digital comics.
    VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NightFang3

This is interesting news. 

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#5  Edited By Green ankh
    @doordoor123 said:

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!! "

i agree 100% . I have nothing agenst the Digicomics but i just am not interested.
    ugli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ugli

After reading this, I downloaded the DC app for iPad.  It's the exact same setup as Marvel, a la Comixology, except DC seems a bit stingier with their free comics, thus far.

Bossjugg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Bossjugg
    @doordoor123 said:

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!! "
    same here I will always support my local comic store
    hpwaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By hpwaz
    @bingbangboom said:
    "Bout time and seems they are playing catch up. Almost every other major comic publisher has an app, I am sure even Archie Comics had an app before DC. So now it seems that they are playing catch up to Marvel. Not only that but the app keeps crashing so I can't download anything. I have the comixology, Marvel and Boom app. They all work fine so don't know why the crashing. "

Same with me. The app just shuts off after a few seconds. We'll have to keep watching for app updates
    Icemizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icemizer

I am old and like paper comics. Maybe one of you youngsters could explain this ipad thing to me. I keep shaking it but the picture doesnt disappear.(Thats an etch a sketch reference by the way.)
    Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By Joe Venom

Lol, I only care for what Jim Lee draws not what he thinks!

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goldenkey

who cares how people read their comics.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nova`Prime`

This is a stupid question but can you view these digital comics on a regular PC... I am really hating all these iShit love from the comic industry.

m_man360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By m_man360

This will be good. I think it's a wise move in raking in new readers of all sorts from around the world. We live in a world where people order their groceries and weed out from a laptop, I mean if you were an investor you would probably also target that audience. I think this is good.

SoftCoreDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SoftCoreDave
    @Nova`Prime` said:
    " This is a stupid question but can you view these digital comics on a regular PC... I am really hating all these iShit love from the comic industry. "

You can use comixology: 
    https://comics.comixology.com  
    I think it's still in beta just now and last time I was on you could not buy comics but you could view free ones, just had a look there and it seems you can now buy comics, I have not done this yet though. Also i think the range of comics is pretty limited at the moment.
    m_man360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By m_man360
    @fast: 
    Thanks for that. I also wanted to know that.
    SoftCoreDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SoftCoreDave
    @m_man360 said:
    " @fast:  Thanks for that. I also wanted to know that. "
    No problem dude. There is a video about it on here
    m_man360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By m_man360
    @fast said:
    " @m_man360 said:
    " @fast:  Thanks for that. I also wanted to know that. "
    No problem dude. There is a video about it on here "
    Cool, I see. Thanks a lot.
    SirSparkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SirSparkington

I wouldn't want to read comics on my iphone, the screen is too small. It looks like I'll still be reading my physical comics.

mavericksfan41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By mavericksfan41

I'm a huge DC fan but I wouldn't buy individual digital comics but if this leads to a Marvel like subscription service where you can read all you want for $60 or more a year with the 6 - 9 month delay then I would do that in a heartbeat. I'm not a big Marvel fan but still read a good amount do to their subscription service.

The_Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By The_Myth

just plain not interestid
    The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21  Edited By The_Martian

I'm surprised it took this long. As long as comics are offered in both print and digital I'm happy with this.

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By Comiclove5
    @Green ankh said:
    "@doordoor123 said:

VIVA LA RESISTANCE!!! "
    i agree 100% . I have nothing agenst the Digicomics but i just am not interested. "

Amen, My brothers in geekdom.
    MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By MrDirector786

I think it's pretty cool.

RedHurricane24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#24  Edited By RedHurricane24

It's about time, as I said before. Great move on DC's part.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Primmaster64

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By LP

It can only be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.