Follow

Jim Hammond

Character » Jim Hammond appears in 1092 issues.

The original Human Torch, who fought in the second World War and was a member of the Invaders, is a synthetic human created by Professor Phineas T. Horton. He is also (publishing-wise) the first ever Marvel super-hero!

What happened to Jim Hammond ?

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

I only heard about this guy a year ago beleve it or not. But I herd he was remade into the Vision ?

spkathrine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By spkathrine

No. Jim Hammond is an android created by Professor Horton. As he is an android there were spare parts and a mold for his body laying around and Ultron used them when creating The Vision. There was a story arc back during West Coast Avengers era where Vision thought that he might be a rebuilt version of The Original Human Torch, but it was debunked by Horton himself in canon. It was also debunked by Wanda doing some kind of magical hotwire job on him to bring Jim back to life after he had been deactivated in a makeshift grave in the Nevada desert for years. Jim joined the West Coast Avengers for a while, ended up faking his own death, then later died saving the world in The New Invaders. His body was stolen and had to be reclaimed by Namor, the Sub-Mariner, and Captain America (who was Bucky Barnes at the time). After that he finally received a honorable funeral (because before that the government was keeping his body on ice and faked a funeral for him--again).

A while later, during the Marvel-Dynamite mini, The Torch, his body was dug up on the orders of The Mad Thinker so that he could repair the damage and then use a formula he had created to control Jim's body. Jim was saved by his old partner/adopted son Toro/Tom Raymond and had to relearn a lot of the human emotions/reactions he had gained over the years. More recently he helped Captain America (Steve Rogers) on a case dealing dealing with some of his history from post WWII in Captain America and Bucky and then joined the Secret Avengers, only to sacrifice himself during a mission to save the team. From last I knew he was trapped in a stasis tube in S.A. HQ while they try to find a way to repair his body (not an easy thing to do considering on Horton truly knew what he was doing), but I could have missed something in the last few months.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.