Off My Mind: Jessica Jones TV Show & Superheroes

Posted by G-Man (30664 posts) - - Show Bio
Last week Variety reported that AKA Jessica Jones would be in development for a Fall 2011 series on ABC. It will be based on the Brian Bendis series ALIAS with Bendis as a consultant. It might be early but there are some questions about the direction the show will take. 

ALIAS focused on Jessica Jones, a former superhero who gave up that life and became a private investigator. Jessica is in a pretty dark place and as a private investigator, sometimes takes on questionable or dangerous cases. She also drinks, smokes, swears and sleeps around.  

What kind of tone will the show have? ALIAS was a Marvel MAX comic. Jessica had a hard edge to her. Bendis showed when the series evolved to The Pulse that dropping the F-bomb wasn't all Jessica was about. He also said the book wasn't about the sex. Being on ABC, some things will obviously have be toned down. This is fine as long as the writers don't lose who Jessica is. The last thing the writers should do is try to water down the character to try to appeal to younger viewers. This should be on late at night and have a NYPD Blue feel to it (does anyone still remember that show?). 

The bigger decision will be in the type of cases Jessica takes and how much will superpowers appear in the show? 
 == TEASER == 

In the first issue, Jessica was hired by a man who suspected his wife was cheating on him. It turned out that she was and he also found out she was a mutant. In the same issue she takes on another case and makes a startling discovery about Captain America. This is where the show can separate itself from other typical dramas. But it's a fine line the writers will have to walk on. 

When it comes to adapting comic related material, it can easily come across as unbelievable. I would hope the writers wouldn't try to cut out the superpower angle otherwise what would be the point in adapting Jessica Jones?  

One of the great things about ALIAS was that superpowers wasn't the main focus. The book was about Jessica and she often was pulled into cases involving Marvel Universe characters. This balance is what I'd want to see.  

What about those other Marvel characters? Will see Jessica call up Carol Danvers (Ms. Marvel) or go out with Luke Cage or Scott Lang? What about the Purple Man? He plays a big role in Jessica's past but putting him on screen could be risky. The same goes with Jessica's previous look.  
As much as comic readers might want to see characters flying around and wearing costumes, this would be something that should be avoided. AKA Jessica Jones should have a dark tone with hints at the Marvel Universe. Because Disney owns Marvel and ABC, let's see cameo appearances by other characters that played a big role in the series. Having Captain America pop in for a subplot would be great, even if he didn't have any speaking lines. Luke Cage deserves to be included in the series. Jessica should be investigating cases where a missing child might be a mutant.  

A show with superpowers as the secondary focus could work. Heroes depended too much on the powers. No Ordinary Family (also at ABC) is more about a family with superpowers rather than just being about the different powers. No Ordinary Family may not be a perfect show but it does a nice job of finding the balance between a drama with moments of super-heroic feats thrown in. 

To the writers and producers of AKA Jessica Jones, I say give me a gritty show with superpowers and Marvel characters in the background. The Marvel Universe isn't the perfect paradise often seen in comics. With AKA Jessica Jones, we could see what happens when the lights go out.  

Do you think the show should involve superpowers and other superheroes?  

Here's an old fan-made youtube clip giving us an idea what we could see. 

Staff
#1 Posted by Baron_Emo (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree. Superpowers aren't new to current audiences. Making them the sole focus would be tired at this point. Making them a secondary focus would make an intriguing show, I think.

#2 Posted by NightFang (9904 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting.

#3 Edited by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a very interesting idea and I agree that superpowers shouldn't be the focus of this show. Do we know if this show is going to be tied to the rest of the MU and see appearances from others characters like Captain Marvel or Ms Marvel as you said or is it going to be in its own continuity?

#4 Posted by Jake Fury (18166 posts) - - Show Bio

I just don't see this working on network tv.
#5 Posted by queenfrost_ (2499 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice :D

#6 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (356 posts) - - Show Bio

Was that clip from the show?

#7 Edited by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio

You'd think this series would have a problem with that other show that called itself Alias.

Past that, the idea of the series seems to have potential. Though, I wonder how much of the Marvel Universe the series would dip into. Would they even have mutants?

Far as the acting in that clip goes.....Ehhh? Not really bad. Not all that great either. It starts off well, but gets incredibly corny. I'm hoping for better in the real show.

#8 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (522 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw Jessica Jones... 

X-Factor Investigations needs a live action TV series. Jessica Jones can have a cameo there if she wants to be on tv so badly. :)

#9 Posted by G-Man (30664 posts) - - Show Bio
@IronSpidy-Rooney: That was a fan-made clip. I'll edit to make it clearer.
Staff
#10 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (356 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: Thanks.
#11 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

They should sneak in a depowered Jessica Drew, Bethany Cabe, Luke Cage and maybe Danny Rand.
#12 Posted by thecheckeredman (398 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never really got into ALIAS that much, but I liked the premise.  I'm a little more interested in how this show would be consolidated for TV.  Would they reference a greater Marvel Universe or no?  

Me personally, I'd like to see a HEROES FOR HIRE show.  I know Jessica and Luke become an item and all that, but a snappy buddy action/adventure show with Luke and Danny ala HUMAN TARGET would be fantastic.  Rotate in and out a supporting cast of other "heroes" like the Daughters of the Dragon Misty and Colleen, Paladin, Silver Sable, Shang Chiand Black Knight.  Hell have Jennifer Walters as they're attorney -- I'm sure they'd incur some legal troubles regularly with all the personal injury, property damage, etc.  

#13 Posted by Baron_Emo (3570 posts) - - Show Bio
@thecheckeredman said:
"Me personally, I'd like to see a HEROES FOR HIRE show.  I know Jessica and Luke become an item and all that, but a snappy buddy action/adventure show with Luke and Danny ala HUMAN TARGET would be fantastic.  Rotate in and out a supporting cast of other "heroes" like the Daughters of the Dragon Misty and Colleen, Paladin, Silver Sable, Shang Chiand Black Knight.  Hell have Jennifer Walters as they're attorney -- I'm sure they'd incur some legal troubles regularly with all the personal injury, property damage, etc.   "
I like this idea. ^_^
#14 Posted by Vitality (1761 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the cape looks like a joke so hopefully this could be good.
#15 Posted by Backflip (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in total agreement. I think that the viewers should be made aware that she is indeed possible of super actions, but it should for the absolute most part be kept to a minimun, at least, until the arc around Purple Man when her flash backs should show her strength.

Personally, I want Cameos from Cap, Ms. Marvel, Daredevil and full on roles for Scott Lang and Luke Cage. Enough to make it obvious this is Marvel, but equally, not too imposing to ruin the atmosphere.

#16 Posted by Soldier zero (250 posts) - - Show Bio

Given that is unlikely that ABC purchase the rights to use any big name from the Marvel Universe (like Cap) I think that it's unlikely we will see any less than subtle reference to other characters.
Superpowers are another matter, without giving at least a hint of Jessica having them the whole thing will probably be discarded as just another PI show.

Anyway I'll be happy to if these predictions will be disattended.

#17 Posted by Lvenger (18441 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm could go either way. I'm still iffy bout this show

#18 Posted by G-Man (30664 posts) - - Show Bio
@FoxxFireArt: Why would it have a problem with J.J. Abrams Alias? The show will be called AKA Jessica Jones (as mentioned). Casual TV viewers will have no idea it's based off a comic with the same name. 

@Soldier zero: But since DISNEY owns MARVEL and ABC, I don't see why they couldn't swing something to get other characters to pop by. Also I believe there's a difference between TV rights and movie rights. For example, Sony released TV rights back to Marvel for Spider-Man (at least in animated form) while still having movie rights.
Staff
#19 Posted by Soldier zero (250 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
@Soldier zero: But since DISNEY owns MARVEL and ABC, I don't see why they couldn't swing something to get other characters to pop by. Also I believe there's a difference between TV rights and movie rights. For example, Sony released TV rights back to Marvel for Spider-Man (at least in animated form) while still having movie rights. "
Since I live in Italy I didn't know that Disney owned both companies, this will probably clear many of the rights problems.
#20 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury said:
" I just don't see this working on network tv. "
#21 Posted by G-Man (30664 posts) - - Show Bio
@Illyana Rasputin said:
" @Jake Fury said:
"
NYPD Blue was pretty edgy for its time (and was on ABC). There was even swearing and nudity.
Staff
#22 Posted by fred9101 (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Great news! I want superpowers, I want to see her using her superstrength...

#23 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @Illyana Rasputin said:
" @Jake Fury said:
"
NYPD Blue was pretty edgy for its time (and was on ABC). There was even swearing and nudity. "
After watching the fan piece, I admit I am more engrossed than I thought I would be. I just hope that the creators include as much of the Marvel mythos as possible, considering their budget, and screen time. I actually like the profane aspect of it. Gritty.
#24 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

This actually sounds like a pretty good idea for a t.v. series, but all they have to do is change the name (cuz "AKA Jessica Jones" sounds terrible) =P

#25 Posted by Midnight Monk (225 posts) - - Show Bio

Tbh, Detriot 1-8-7 or Southland could be a good example of how to do the show, hell Season 1 of Angel could also work since Jess has superpowers and she a private detective like Angel was. I'd be cool to see them downplay the Superpowers less and focus more on her human side. I not saying get rid of them completely but I rather not to saturated by a bunch of superhero shows. Make this a gritty detective show with the Marvel U as a backdrop and it'd be great
#26 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18826 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet ^_^

#27 Posted by ForbushBug (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man said:
" @Illyana Rasputin said:
" @Jake Fury said:
"
NYPD Blue was pretty edgy for its time (and was on ABC). There was even swearing and nudity. "
"NYPD Blue" was created three years before Disney bought ABC.
#28 Posted by SuperXAsh (506 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather see a show based on the concept in Pulse or Front Line, about news reporters following leads in a world dominated by superheroes.

#29 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8897 posts) - - Show Bio

I am really excited for this show. I will love to see what they can put on the table. 

#30 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that Alias is supposed to be pretty good, and I was tempted to read some trades when I found them at the library, but after I found out all that ... stuff.... with Purple Man, I'm a bit reluctant.

(Just throwing this out there)

#31 Posted by Backflip (2256 posts) - - Show Bio
@Meteorite said:
" I know that Alias is supposed to be pretty good, and I was tempted to read some trades when I found them at the library, but after I found out all that ... stuff.... with Purple Man, I'm a bit reluctant.   (Just throwing this out there) "
I take it you don't like it how Purple Man manipulated Jessica to become his whore. Is that moral ground? Although if its because you think it may be detrimental to the story, you'd be mistaken. Purple was arguably my favourite arc from the series, because it really delved into what made Jessica who she was, and demonstrated first hand how being a superhero isn't as glamerous as the Avengers make it appear.
#32 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio
@Backflip said:
" @Meteorite said:
" I know that Alias is supposed to be pretty good, and I was tempted to read some trades when I found them at the library, but after I found out all that ... stuff.... with Purple Man, I'm a bit reluctant.   (Just throwing this out there) "
I take it you don't like it how Purple Man manipulated Jessica to become his whore. Is that moral ground? Although if its because you think it may be detrimental to the story, you'd be mistaken. Purple was arguably my favourite arc from the series, because it really delved into what made Jessica who she was, and demonstrated first hand how being a superhero isn't as glamerous as the Avengers make it appear. "
Fair enough, I can see how it would do that. I just don't pick up a comic to read rape stories, to me that's not what I read comics for, and it's a really disgusting and disturbing act.
#33 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:  Nailed it!

Pretty much everything you said is spot on, nothing much to add ha ha. I'm worried they wont take it in this direction, but with Cloak and Dagger "being the next series" they can do all the super heroics with that show and give us a gritty nypd blue type show with this. Lets keep our figures crossed!
#34 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3549 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: 
Oh, I didn't realize that was going to be the planned name for the actual series.
#35 Posted by G-Man (30664 posts) - - Show Bio
@Meteorite said:
" @Backflip said:
" @Meteorite said:
I take it you don't like it how Purple Man manipulated Jessica to become his whore. Is that moral ground? Although if its because you think it may be detrimental to the story, you'd be mistaken. Purple was arguably my favourite arc from the series, because it really delved into what made Jessica who she was, and demonstrated first hand how being a superhero isn't as glamerous as the Avengers make it appear. "
Fair enough, I can see how it would do that. I just don't pick up a comic to read rape stories, to me that's not what I read comics for, and it's a really disgusting and disturbing act. "
Purple Man never physically raped or had any contact with her. It was mental. He made her want and beg to be with him. But nothing physical ever happened. 
Staff
#36 Posted by Quintus_Knightfall (84610 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mr. Kamikaze said:
" Screw Jessica Jones... 
LOL
#37 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I enjoyed ALIAS, The Pulse, etc. I have trouble seeing it adapted as-is to broadcast network television.  Looking at the ratings for broadcast television, the closest thing to an actually serious drama managing to crack the Top 30 is procedural shows like Criminal Minds or NCIS... and even those are much more antiseptic in tone and content compared to ALIAS.  The bulk of the Top 30 (excluding sports) is composed of light hearted sitcoms (broadening the category to include the likes of Glee and Desperate Housewives) and reality TV (all remaining air going to procedurals closer in tone to playful know-it-all shows like The Mentalist than NYPD Blue in the era before basic cable dramas garnered respect or had the healthy viewership they have today- don't underestimate how demand for broadband internet blew up cable TV subscriptions).  Unless ABC is looking at ALIAS to spearhead an entire shift in how they currently treat broadcast network TV, we're probably getting a heavily adapted version.

Change the intended demographic to cable and then it's a different ballgame.

#38 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't care much for Jessica Jones.

#39 Edited by darkcloakx (788 posts) - - Show Bio

i 'll watch it. i think jessica jones should be played by eliza dushku she's pretty and a good actress. 

#40 Posted by Eisenheim (29 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish it was HBO, but I'm hoping for the best...Alias is Bendis' best work. 

#41 Posted by Blackreverend (133 posts) - - Show Bio

I would rather a Daughters of the Dragon TV show...

#42 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio
@fred9101 said:
" Great news! I want superpowers, I want to see her using her superstrength... "
Writers/directors are so "ashamed" of Super powers these last years.. I mean be it on TV or movies, those Super heroes are never on the same level of those on the paper.
Guess anything that would require some imagination doesn't sell as much as more ground based realistic grim gritty "modern" stuff. Too bad :/
#43 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

wow

#44 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio

Fixed

#45 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd certainly watch this (:  
It seems like such a good premise.  I like Jess, she'd have a good show. 

Summer Glau would've been perfect for the role, but since she's in that other show, I doubt it'll happen. Hmm,  Eliza Dushku?  I can't wait to see who'll they cast. (: 

#46 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio
@queenfrost_ said:
" Nice :D "
#47 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio

fixing the brokedness

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.