Joker Creator Jerry Robinson Dies At 89

• 76 results
Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to imagine Batman comics without the Joker, isn't it? Batman's maniacal arch nemesis is, quite frankly, one of the integral parts of the character's mythos. He is the ying to Batman's yang; he essentially, completes the character. So it is with a heavy heart that we honor the life of the character's creator, Jerry Robinson who died in his sleep last night at age 89.

In addition to creating the Joker, Robinson is also credited as co-creator of Batman's sidekick, Robin. Additionally, Robinson is also credited for having co-created Alfred Pennyworth and creating Tweedledee, Tweedledum and Tony Zucco.

== TEASER ==

Hired at a young age to work as an inker and artist for Batman creator Bob Kane, Jerry Robinson began working in comics at the age of 17 and studied journalism at Columbia University in Manhattan. He was brought on by DC Comics to work as a cover artist for Detective Comics through the 1930's and 1940's and became an influential and important figure during the Golden Age of comic books. Being a "political animal," Robinson eventually made the move from comics to comic strips, to Editorial illustrator.

His long running comic strip "Life With Robinson" provided political commentary from the 1950's through the 1970's. Robinson was also a huge proponent of creator rights and was a supporter of the Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster battle over the rights to Superman.

Some of DC's biggest names -- from Co-Publisher Dan Didio to Batman Editor Mike Marts -- reflected on the death of a legend, here's what they had to say.

“Jerry Robinson illustrated some of the defining images of pop culture’s greatest icons. As an artist myself, it’s impossible not to feel humbled by his body of work. Everyone who loves comics owes Jerry a debt of gratitude for the rich legacy that he leaves behind.”—Jim Lee, DC Entertainment Co-Publisher and artist of BATMAN: HUSH
“Jerry Robinson was one of the greats. He continued to be a vibrant, creative force well into his nineties, with ideas and thoughts that continue to inspire. Jerry was a great advocate for creators. It was my pleasure to meet and work with him. He will be missed.”—Dan DiDio, Co-Publisher, DC Entertainment
“It’s impossible to work at DC Entertainment­ without feeling the impact of Jerry Robinson’s contributions to the industry. His influence continues to resonate today.”—Bob Harras, DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief
“Jerry Robinson was an innovator, a pioneer in storytelling. His artwork was always astonishing, but his contributions to the Dark Knight mythology go far beyond art. The streets of Gotham City are a little lonelier today...Jerry will truly be missed.”—Mike Marts, BATMAN editor

Robinson's many works as well as his Joker sketch card (above) has appeared in various museum exhibits throughout the country. He was an incredibly influential individual and without his creativity and ideas, comics as we know them today would be very different. We tip our hats to you today, Mr. Robinson, and we thank you for all you did for the comic book industry over the years.

Image source: LA Times

#1 Posted by sora_thekey (8185 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy was responsible for creating the best parts of the Batman Universe? Wow!

My condolences to his friends and family.

#2 Posted by Symarip (3 posts) - - Show Bio

rest in peace!

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all you've contributed to the lives of countless geeks.

RIP. You've earned it.

#4 Posted by Loki9876 (3040 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P.

#5 Posted by Joygirl (19954 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P. ;'(

#6 Posted by azza04 (1492 posts) - - Show Bio

Joker is without doubt one of the greatest (if not the greatest villians of all time) R.I.P, glad he went peacefully in his sleep.

#7 Posted by Neverpraying (1459 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P.

#8 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

Contributed a lot to the Batman Universe which in turn added a bit to our fictional worlds

R.I.P sir

#9 Posted by NightFang (10274 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P and that you for such a great character.

#10 Posted by Ryder_Jones (43 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P awesome dude. Or don't and be the first zombie comic book writer.

#11 Posted by tonis (6183 posts) - - Show Bio

to create the Joker alone is enough for eternal thanks from this fan :)

Rest well in much peace for such maniacal creativity

#12 Posted by BatUniverse (120 posts) - - Show Bio

This guy was probably one of the biggest players on this comic book industry, he created one of the most incredible characters that I've ever seen before, I'm very sad for him and I give my greatest condolences to his friends, family, and all the comic book fans, specially Batman fans, Jerry will live forever on Joker's heart.

#13 Posted by maxicere (935 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P. Was a genius!

#14 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (7561 posts) - - Show Bio

Rest In Peace Jerry Robinson

#15 Posted by Olqavtoras (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Rest in peace. You will never be forgotten!

#16 Posted by Silkcuts (5123 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a sad day indeed.

"Now cracks a noble heart. Goodnight, sweet Prince.
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest."

#17 Posted by leokearon (1785 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

#18 Posted by Sky_Jokiel (304 posts) - - Show Bio

Amazing man RIP

#19 Posted by Samimista (21050 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P.

#20 Posted by thecheckeredman (288 posts) - - Show Bio

My condolences to the Robinson family. 

His Batman stuff is still by far and away better than that garbage they're cranking out nowadays... 

R.I.P. 

#21 Posted by Decept-O (7294 posts) - - Show Bio

May he rest in peace. Condolences to his family and the many friends he's obviously had and influenced over the years.

The legend of Batman would not be as rich were it not for the characters he's helped create.

#22 Posted by MysteryMan38 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman comics, in particular collections of the original Kane/Finger work from the 40's, was some of my first exposure to comic books. Without Jerry and his amazing art work, I may have never gotten into comics that much. He was a man dedicated to his work, and dedicated to seeing that his brothers in ink would be well taken care of. The world is now a little bit darker without Mr. Robinson, but he shoulders on, after all, the Joker is still alive isn't he? And now every time we read a Batman comic, we can think back on the fact that he has gotten where he is today, with Mr. Robinson's pen and brush carefully filling on some of Bill's pencil drawings. The great comic book artists of the Golden Age are all but now gone, like WWI and WWII veterans they are becoming more and more rare in this day and age. R.I.P. Jerry, and God bless you for all you've done.

#23 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP.... but Joker will continue his legacy.

#24 Posted by KidSupreme (826 posts) - - Show Bio

Robinson is in the list of names that have left their mark in history and the world. He will always be remembered as time keeps moving forward.

Rest in Peace! My condolences to his friends and family.

#25 Posted by KidSupreme (826 posts) - - Show Bio

@MysteryMan38:

Wow, what you wrote is really moving, I think you said it best out of everyone! I agree with everything you wrote I wish there would be a way to vote your post to the top. It is a shame most people won`t get to read it.

#26 Posted by PrincessSolaria (151 posts) - - Show Bio

He rest in peace a legend in the world of comics.

My condolences to the Robinson family.

#27 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP we never going to forget what he do, never. At least his dead wasn't painful for himself.

#28 Posted by AwesomeAquaman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

#29 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8062 posts) - - Show Bio

dude...like every1s dying.. the M*A*S*H Star the guy who sings Sailaway and now him..

#30 Posted by darkwolverine (38 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P.

#31 Posted by Billy Batson (58357 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP
BB

#32 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (125 posts) - - Show Bio

Rest in peace, Jerry Robinson.

#33 Posted by EpicAssassin90 (57 posts) - - Show Bio

My commiserations to his family and god bless his soul. Batman comics will never be the same

#34 Posted by Lvenger (21239 posts) - - Show Bio

Woah this guy created the Joker and co created Robin? I never knew that. RIP Mr Robinson

#35 Posted by frankiebeanz (1 posts) - - Show Bio

My brother is a plumber and he was fixing a leak under his sink in his apartment when he passed away.today.

#36 Posted by Larkin1388 (1733 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

Woah this guy created the Joker and co created Robin? I never knew that. RIP Mr Robinson

#37 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

i feel bad, saw him at comic con a few months ago

#38 Posted by NXH (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

The killing joke.

#39 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Rest In Peace

#40 Posted by Zamir (15 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

#41 Posted by Bestostero (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP.

#42 Posted by laabitres (472 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP u r the man

#43 Posted by Wattup (646 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder what his thoughts were of Heath Ledger's performance, as it must be quite a-ways from his conception of the character. Or even interpretations like Killing Joke or Mark Hammil's voice. 8 )

#44 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (26967 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P

#45 Posted by etragedy (793 posts) - - Show Bio

Jerry Robinson, R.I.P.

You were one of the greats.

#46 Posted by The Impersonator (5620 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P.

#47 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCheeseStabber: I know, I was devastated when Harry Morgan passed away. I loved that guy.

#48 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3650 posts) - - Show Bio

The man was a legend whose credit was long overdue. It's a shame to see him go.

#49 Edited by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P you made the comic world bright and your death leaves our world dark

#50 Posted by The Poet (8170 posts) - - Show Bio

RIP

and thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.