Follow

Jeff Parker

Person » Jeff Parker is credited in 911 issues.

Writer, penciller, inker, letterer, colorist who has worked for Malibu, Marvel, and DC among others. In 2004 he was nominated for an Eisner Award for Talent Deserving Wider Recognition.

Interview: Jeff Parker Discusses AQUAMAN

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Jeff Parker's run on AQUAMAN is in full force! There's something rumbling with Triton, and Mera has her own battles to fight! In addition, Aquaman is meeting Swamp Thing! Writer Jeff Parker answered a few questions about what's currently going on in this series and where it is headed.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: Swamp Thing and Aquaman together? Are you crazy?

JEFF PARKER: We’ve only begun to introduce Aquaman to the more arcane characters of the DCU! As we’ll see, these two have more in common than you might at first think. It’s their responsibilities that cause their worlds to crash into each other.

CV: Seriously though, what led to bringing Swamp Thing over to Aquaman?

JP: The impetus was artist Paul Pelletier, who like all great artists, wanted to draw Swamp Thing. Which he clearly excels at as you’ll see. So we talked to ST’s creative team and they were happy to oblige a crossover. Charles Soule jumped right on it. It also worked out nicely with giving Jesus Saiz a chance to show off his skills at drawing ocean life in Swamp Thing. It’s an art win all around.

CV: Is this a team we could see together again in the future?

JP: Easily. I don’t know if they’d consider themselves a team, but I think it’s likely they’ll have to deal with each other more.

CV: The best way to describe your run on AQUAMAN, so far, is fun. When you took over this book, what was your primary goal?

JP: I want it to have it’s own feel and sense of adventure that isn’t like any other book. And I want readers to realize that even with being a king and a member of the Justice League, Aquaman is very relatable.

CV: A few issues ago, we saw Aquaman fighting the Karaqan. Are there other creatures from the depth coming to fight Aquaman in the future?

JP: Yes, but in a strange way, the Karaqan is also coming back when we meet Aquaman’s deadliest challenger, The Chimera.

CV: Going along with that, the Triton story line seems to have taken a bit of a backseat while Aquaman was off fighting Hercules. How soon before we get back to that?

JP: It’s very soon. Triton isn’t something that’s going away, it’s like the ISS underwater, representing the people of the land in the oceans. The International Sea Station!

No Caption Provided

CV: Both Mera and Aquaman are having their own, separate adventures in this book. What made you want to split them up?

JP: I feel it makes it like a real relationship- the duties of being a super hero and a leader of a country are really too much for any one person, and Mera is more than happy to rise to the occasion. It starts to change the way the people of Atlantis view her, and connects to stories coming up. And of course, gives her a chance to shine on her own- I think she’s a fantastic character and inspiring hero.

CV: In July, Annual #2 is coming out, and it seems to be a continuation of the Hercules story line, but this time Wonder Woman is involved. What more can you tell us about that issue?

JP: The release of the Giant-Born is a terrifying problem, and Aquaman and Wonder Woman are not going to leave that unresolved. It’s a good thing, as we find out the creatures are up to some really nasty stuff in Europe.

And to connect to the earlier point, Mera also gets in on this- you can’t stop her.

CV: What's your favorite part about writing this character and this series?

JP: I like that there’s a constant drive for discovery happening in the book. Aquaman is essentially always on a quest, and it’s very interesting to pursue.

Thanks again to Jeff Parker and make sure to check out the meeting between Aquaman and Swamp Thing in AQUAMAN #31, available now at your LCS.

anandak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Enjoying Parker's run on Aquaman.

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I saw someone on Twitter refer to the Aquaman/Swamp Thing team-up as "Surf 'n' Turf" :)

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Although I'm still a little iffy on the story as of yet (it just doesn't have that same epic-world building feel that GJ's did as of now) the book is still terribly fun.

I really appreciate Parker having Arthur team up with well-known heroes across the DC universe. Its something that keeps him (literally) grounded and gives more readers a reason to care.

One of the big problems of his past stories is its kind of hard (at least as a new reader) to care about Aquaman if he's just underwater the whole time.

Anyway, keep up the good work. And although this past issue was terrific, stop splitting the damn art duties!

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see Hercules revived and become an ongoing character.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm still enjoying this book but I wish it was just a tiny bit darker.

BatSupFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not reading this book anymore. I lost interest in it when Jeff Johns stopped writing.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@jonny_anonymous said:

Haven't read any of Parker's other stuff but from what I hear its not his style.

Manta is due to come back later this year though so maybe we'll see it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

Haven't read any of Parker's other stuff but from what I hear its not his style.

Yea it's just I always see Aquaman as a little bit darker than the other Justice Leaguers, I would say it should have a similar to to current Wonder Woman.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Yea it's just I always see Aquaman as a little bit darker than the other Justice Leaguers, I would say it should have a similar to to current Wonder Woman.

He is. Though the Big 7 all basically the boy scouts of DC.

Al_capOWN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hella nice dude

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By NightFang3

I'm really liking what DC has been doing with Aquaman lately.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not reading this book anymore. I lost interest in it when Jeff Johns stopped writing.

You mean Geoff Johns? :P

TBEMrMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this book. I can't wait to see Chimera! I love how the new 52 has Aquaman's rogue gallery real threats instead of jokes.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I have been enjoying Parker's run immensely!

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm about ready to drop this book, ever since dead king started this book has been going down in quality. It's not terrible just not good enough to follow anymore. Also, Aquaman and the others was terrible.

ChocolateFrogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'm always open to more Swamp Thing, so I'll definitely keep buying the trades (like I've been doing) to see Aquaman team up with him.

Now if only DC would publish their graphic novels at a faster rate, like Marvel does...

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Wilbertus

One of the best books of New 52 for me.

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#19  Edited By Aliltron

Love Parker's run on Aquaman, is easily my favorite book of the New 52.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.