Are the Jedi Knights Space Ninjas?

#1 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

My friend and  I were talking about ninjas and Jedi's. I came to the conclusion that Jedi are actually Space Ninjas.

Am I right? :P

#2 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@Love: No good. Ninjas are not magic. Also ninjas are not as honorable.
#3 Posted by jamesewelch (616 posts) - - Show Bio

I always thought of them as more as a Space Samurai. They have a code of honor and took an oath to either the Jedi Council or the Republic, etc.

#4 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio
@EisforExtinction: But they are both Disciplinary and acrobatic, plus they all study the art of martial arts and swordfighting
#5 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio
@jamesewelch said:
" I always thought of them as more as a Space Samurai. They have a code of honor and took an oath to either the Jedi Council or the Republic, etc. "
I'd agree with this statement.

@Love said:
" @EisforExtinction: But they are both Disciplinary and acrobatic, plus they all study the art of martial arts and swordfighting "

True, but like jamesewelch said, they've got a code of honor and what-not.
Ninjas didn't have a code of honor, in fact they were despicable.
#6 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@Love said:
" @EisforExtinction: But they are both Disciplinary and acrobatic, plus they all study the art of martial arts and swordfighting "
When do Jedi study martial arts?
#7 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aronmorales said:
" @jamesewelch said:
" I always thought of them as more as a Space Samurai. They have a code of honor and took an oath to either the Jedi Council or the Republic, etc. "

@Love said:

True, but like jamesewelch said, they've got a code of honor and what-not. Ninjas didn't have a code of honor, in fact they were despicable. "
What I meant to say with Code of Honot, was their commitment to their jobs. They were silent and efficient. And I guess you're right about The Jedi being Space Samurai, but based on their movements Jedi have much more in common with the Ninja. It actually depends on what Jedi fighting style you use
#8 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio
@Love said:
" @Aronmorales said:
" @jamesewelch said:

@Love said:

True, but like jamesewelch said, they've got a code of honor and what-not. Ninjas didn't have a code of honor, in fact they were despicable. "
What I meant to say with Code of Honot, was their commitment to their jobs. They were silent and efficient. And I guess you're right about The Jedi being Space Samurai, but based on their movements Jedi have much more in common with the Ninja. It actually depends on what Jedi fighting style you use "
True, true.
#9 Posted by Dane (10596 posts) - - Show Bio

Jedi are more like Space Knights.

#10 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

Jedi's are peacekeepers of the galaxy not assassins Jedi's will always try to find a route that does not deal with conflict or physical harm Jedi's will only use aggressive force as a last ditch effort and even they will try to neutralize and arrest the target not kill them. The only thing they have in common is there discipline, martial arts, H2H, weapon skills, and stealth. Ninja will stab you in the back while a Jedi will give you a dove they really are not the same at all. Sith assassins can be called ninjas though.

#11 Posted by kore (373 posts) - - Show Bio

I would compare the Sith more to ninjas and Jedi to samurais.

#12 Posted by JediXMan (30574 posts) - - Show Bio
@kore said:

" I would compare the Sith more to ninjas and Jedi to samurais. "

True.

Many people think of Ninjas as an honorable people. They were assassins.

I guess they're a combo of Samurai and Shaolin Monks. 
Moderator Online
#13 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @kore said:

" I would compare the Sith more to ninjas and Jedi to samurais. "

True.  Many people think of Ninjas as an honorable people. They were assassins.  I guess they're a combo of Samurai and Shaolin Monks.  "
Yeah I'll give you that one
#14 Posted by JediXMan (30574 posts) - - Show Bio
@EisforExtinction said:
" @Love said:
When do Jedi study martial arts? "
@Love said:

Jedi study Martial Art-like techniques. All Jedi are skilled in hand-to-hand combat.

Also, Ninjas aren't known for their swordfighting skills. A Ninja's sword was a last resort. They relied on stealth and silent tactics. Swords aren't stealthy nor silent.
Moderator Online
#15 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: So doesn't that mean that they still study the art of swordfighting
#16 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @EisforExtinction said:
" @Love said:
@Love said:
 Jedi study Martial Art-like techniques. All Jedi are skilled in hand-to-hand combat.  Also, Ninjas aren't known for their swordfighting skills. A Ninja's sword was a last resort. They relied on stealth and silent tactics. Swords aren't stealthy nor silent. "
Really? Because I just rewatched A New Hope and Empire and Luke and Vader never use hand to hand combat. It's either light sabers or the force.
#17 Posted by JediXMan (30574 posts) - - Show Bio
@EisforExtinction said:

" @JediXMan said:

" @EisforExtinction said:

" @Love said:
@Love said:
 Jedi study Martial Art-like techniques. All Jedi are skilled in hand-to-hand combat.  Also, Ninjas aren't known for their swordfighting skills. A Ninja's sword was a last resort. They relied on stealth and silent tactics. Swords aren't stealthy nor silent. "
Really? Because I just rewatched A New Hope and Empire and Luke and Vader never use hand to hand combat. It's either light sabers or the force. "

It's more focused on in the EU and prequels. In the original trilogy, due to many things (one being CGI) they focused on two-handed grips. In the prequels they revisited the combat styles and added new things, such as using the Force to enhance combat. Jedi kick and punch while using Force Speed.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber_combat
Moderator Online
#18 Posted by JediXMan (30574 posts) - - Show Bio
@Love said:
" @JediXMan: So doesn't that mean that they still study the art of swordfighting "
Yes, but they don't use it as often as most people think. Against a Samurai a Ninja is screwed. Samurai rely on swords and martial arts. Ninjas rely on stealth and the use of hidden weapons.
Moderator Online
#19 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan: Fair enough.
#20 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@jamesewelch said:
Yup, plus you have the lightsabres replacing the katana :)  I'm pretty sure I remember George Lucas talking about Jedi in terms of being sci-fi samurai.  Don't forget how he was influenced by the works of Akira Kurosawa.
#21 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7816 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @jamesewelch said:
Yup, plus you have the lightsabres replacing the katana :)  I'm pretty sure I remember George Lucas talking about Jedi in terms of being sci-fi samurai.  Don't forget how he was influenced by the works of Akira Kurosawa. "
Indeed he was, and almost directly from the seven Samurai.
#22 Posted by Kynikos (196 posts) - - Show Bio

The best word to describe a Jedi would probably be a warrior-monk or warriar-priests because with few exceptions, they are raised from childhood for their tasks, they are secluded from society during their training through enclaves, they are taught to fight and to fight well, they take oaths to uphold good, they use weapons that have ancient origins and rarely used modern weaponry, try to find non-violent ways of solving problems, and carry a mystical aura about them that makes them both enigmatic and legendary.
#23 Posted by JediXMan (30574 posts) - - Show Bio
@Kynikos said:
" The best word to describe a Jedi would probably be a warrior-monk or warriar-priests because with few exceptions, they are raised from childhood for their tasks, they are secluded from society during their training through enclaves, they are taught to fight and to fight well, they take oaths to uphold good, they use weapons that have ancient origins and rarely used modern weaponry, try to find non-violent ways of solving problems, and carry a mystical aura about them that makes them both enigmatic and legendary. "

I believe that would be the Shaolin Monks. Yeah, that fits.

I think they're a combo of the Shaolin Monks and Samurai.
Moderator Online
#24 Posted by Reactor (2559 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dane said:

" Jedi are more like Space Knights. "

Agreed. I always saw Jedi - especially the Jedi Order - as more reminiscent of Knights than Samurai (there are samurai similarities, though). Jedi were sworn defenders of the Republic, much like Knights were sworn defenders of the Church, above all else.

The Jedi Code (notably, the tenets) is also much more likened to the Knight's code of chivalry, as opposed to the Samurai code of bushido.

The Jedi robes are also similar to western monks (western monks were known for hooded cloaks, and earth brown colored robes). Combining that with the fact that Jedi were religious warriors, this bears a very striking resemblance to the Order of the Knights Templar, who were warrior-monk/knight hybrids.

The Jedi High Council has very strong connections to the Knights of the Round Table, and lightsabers encompass the genre of magical or enchanted weaponry (in some cases, even by in-universe Star Wars standards), which was an extremely common theme in the Middle Ages of Western Civilization, such as Excalibur, the Flaming Sword, Andúril, the Sword in the Stone, etc. 

Combining these features with the fact that Jedi use the Force, it is easily seen as fitting to wizards and mystics in western mythology.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.