Azrael: Death's Dark Knight, You'll Lose Your Head Over It

Posted by G-Man (29390 posts) - - Show Bio

I say it has potential but doesn't seem a necessary part of Battle For The Cowl.

Staff Online
#1 Posted by Black L.A.M.P. (84 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#2 Posted by Black L.A.M.P. (84 posts) - - Show Bio

cool

#3 Posted by Darkchild (40542 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want to see this become successful

#4 Posted by warlock360 (26898 posts) - - Show Bio

: / could the first one be the general?

#5 Posted by G-Man (29390 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it but why not.  He's already whacked in the head after causing his family to die (or was that Anarchy?).  Also he already posed as Red Robin.  Maybe he's just reeeeally not happy being "the General."  I doubt it's a goof so maybe it has something to do with the last page.

Staff Online
#6 Edited by Owen_Porter (83146 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoilers

Anyone who read Batman #674 already knows who the new Azrael is. In fact reading Grant Morrison's run (Pre-Batman RIP) explains the program that was instituted to replace Batman should he fall/die. It was run by the military and Dr. Hurt. Who subjected three test subjects to devastating emotional trauma, believing this is what drove Batman and what was required to make another one. All three were cops. One basically became a Bane/Batman, another became a gun toting Batman (who shot the Joker in the face), and the last one became the Sleeper. Who's real name is Michael Lane. The man who becomes Azrael at the end of this issue.

As for the guy in the suit in the beginning of the issue I don't believe he's anyone. The following panels after the decapitation scene suggest he was a nobody who was overcome by the special properties of the suit. A few things that are stated after that scene such as, "Are we sure it was him?" "Yes, he admitted it to me." and "Well we knew the risk when we rushed this. Its why we chose someone expendable." "What do we do with him?" "Its been taken care of." The interaction between the two Order members, and the fact that they have the suit back, suggest to me that they brought him in already and removed the suit. Usually when someone says, "Its been taken care of" in that context the person in question has been killed.

I hated the art in this issue but loved the story. The complete 360 of Lane is something I never saw coming.

#7 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
Gambler said:
"

Spoilers

. The complete 360 of Lane is something I never saw coming.

"
It's amazing how much theology has become intertwined into this storyline even after Batman R.I.P.
The devil's son shows remorse, and in an attempt to seek redemption, he succumbs to the wishes set forth upon him by this religious order, and reforms by "serving God's Justice." Very cool.
#8 Posted by Owen_Porter (83146 posts) - - Show Bio
Babs said:
"It's amazing how much theology has become intertwined into this storyline even after Batman R.I.P.
The devil's son shows remorse, and in an attempt to seek redemption, he succumbs to the wishes set forth upon him by this religious order, and reforms by "serving God's Justice." Very cool."
It'll be interesting to see what affects the suit will have on his already damaged psyche. Also, he's apparent remorse for his role in Batman's "death" has me wondering if Dr. Hurt's control over Lane has been severed.
#9 Edited by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Andddd whatever happened to Dr. Hurt?! I have a feeling this comic might be one the Batman fan needs to follow. I have a feeling it might be explained in this series.

#10 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27082 posts) - - Show Bio

I really must get these...

Nice house Gman it suits you  ;-)

#11 Posted by Media_Master (2189 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting dude,

sweet house!

#12 Edited by expmiracle (10 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought the issue was pretty bad. it just jumps from one thing to another without really explaining anything. the guy at the beginning was the current azrael. if you didn't read closely you probably wouldn't even know that the order of dumas killed that guy off. but who killed him? why isn't the guy who killed him the new azrael?  it just didnt seem as though they thought it through. and you can officially add another character to dc's affirmative action series of changes. azrael is now a black guy? thats stupid not because im racist but with the question being a girl, firestorm being black and the atom being asian it just seems like dc is over doing the whole "not every super heroe is white" thing

#13 Posted by likalaruku (759 posts) - - Show Bio

Azrael needs to drop the religion-humping & embrace his long flowing hair, or he'll just be cute & really annoying, like Nightcrawler.

#14 Posted by warlock360 (26898 posts) - - Show Bio

After reading issue 2 i'm staying with my opinion that the future will inevitably become as it is in #666

#15 Posted by G-Man (29390 posts) - - Show Bio

I only got halfway through issue #2.  I kept getting interrupted with work.

Staff Online
#16 Posted by warlock360 (26898 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading #2 > Work

you gotta set priorities ;P

#17 Posted by G-Man (29390 posts) - - Show Bio
Voidheart said:
"Reading #2 > Workyou gotta set priorities ;P"
But you have to remember, ComicVine is work for me.  I was trying to edit a video while trying to read the comic.  Not the best combination.
Staff Online
#18 Posted by warlock360 (26898 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"Voidheart said:
But you have to remember, ComicVine is work for me.  I was trying to edit a video while trying to read the comic.  Not the best combination."
depending, making a video BASED upon the comic you were supposed to readis a good combination if you ask me ;D
#19 Posted by TheDrifter (26555 posts) - - Show Bio
G-Man said:
"Voidheart said:
But you have to remember, ComicVine is work for me.  I was trying to edit a video while trying to read the comic.  Not the best combination."
Question : What software do you use to edit your videos? when ever I try mine in Windows Movie Maker it won't import the file.
#20 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.