Will comics get a better when she is back ?

#1 Posted by time (5105 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a simple fact that X-Men have go down hill over the last couple of years, from poorly written stories like Schisms, to Second Coming, to everything Matt Fraction ever written. To X-Men becoming a bigger universe with all the characters being invovled and while this happens, we see a lot of good characters become background characters. So the question I put to everyone is, Will X-Men get a whole lot better when Jean Grey is back in X-Men. Vote Yes if you think it will and No if you don't.

I would appreciate all your views, whelther your a fan of hers or not.

#2 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6019 posts) - - Show Bio

It's hard to say for me, because it all depends on who is writing the X-Men stories in the future. If Joss Whedon starts writing X-Men again, then I think that the X-books will get better over time since he is a great writer. Also, if Rick Remender wrote some X-books, the series will get better. So my answer:

Yes - if there are good writers who can make Jean Grey's return something meaningful and if the future writers can write X-Men stories that go deep into the characters' personalities and situations.

No - if there are no good writers who can write the future stories of the X-Men in an interesting and memorable way.

#3 Posted by Mercy_ (92985 posts) - - Show Bio

Highlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy doubtful. The second she comes back, the clock starts ticking for when she dies again.

#4 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6019 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

Highlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy doubtful. The second she comes back, the clock starts ticking for when she dies again.

Oh yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to kill her off again.

#5 Posted by jubilee042 (1353 posts) - - Show Bio

wait wasn't second coming good

#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#7 Posted by Outside_85 (9916 posts) - - Show Bio

No

Good stories don't depend on who's in them, it depends on the writer being able to tell a compelling and entertaining story with the people he/she is using. And wouldn't Jean actually returning lead to a whole new round of complications thats already been once or twice?

#8 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
Jean Grey isn't going to improve the X-Men franchise, good writers and well executed stories will.
#9 Posted by jhazzroucher (16377 posts) - - Show Bio

I want her back without the Phoenix force and i want the comic to say the phoenix entity has left her completely. That way, Storm , Jean and Rogue can work together again. : )

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34291 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer No, long answer Still No.

#11 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6019 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

No Good stories don't depend on who's in them, it depends on the writer being able to tell a compelling and entertaining story with the people he/she is using. And wouldn't Jean actually returning lead to a whole new round of complications thats already been once or twice?

This.

#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, the same way that the Ebola Virus helped Africa. 

#13 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

Truth. We should start a betting pool on exactly how long the character rebirth will last before she kicks again.

#14 Posted by treysome (93 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the writer, though hopefully they off cyclops his fans have turn me off forever.

#15 Edited by samlankey (12 posts) - - Show Bio

She will definitely bring in more readers who had left and bring some interesting drama. Cyclops fans are just scared this will cast a bad light on Scott but I'm all about the character drama so bring it on. X fans will turn in esp the haters to dissect her every move, meaning sales.

Jean, Emma, Psylocke, Kitty, Rogue and Storm should have a mini together.

#16 Edited by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

LMAO.

Its funny and true.

#17 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

lol

#18 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@samlankey said:

She will definitely bring in more readers who had left and bring some interesting drama. Cyclops fans are just scared this will cast a bad light on Scott but I'm all about the character drama so bring it on. X fans will turn in esp the haters to dissect her every move, meaning sales.

Maybe it's just that Cyclops fans are smart enough to recognise a poor character and plot device when they see one. 
#19 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6019 posts) - - Show Bio

@samlankey said:

I agree that Jean, Emma, Psyloke, Kitty, Rogue and Storm need to have their own miniseries. It would be fantastic!

#20 Edited by samlankey (12 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@samlankey said:

Maybe it's just that Cyclops fans are smart enough to recognise a poor character and plot device when they see one.

The smart Cyclops fans have migrated to the X-Men CBR Forums. Ask for the poster darknessatnoon. You probably are against any character/writer/story that goes against who you think Cyclops should be or do. But I should leave it at that before I become one of those hateful posters, comics should be fun.

#21 Posted by SHORYUKEN (7 posts) - - Show Bio

"Poorly Written"

"Second Coming"

"Same sentence"

Oh wait you're serious. Let me laugh harder.

Sorry but no. Might as well cash the "no valid opinion" coupon in if you're going to somehow imply X-Men had some "god tier writing" going on that doesn't include second coming. I'm just curious what sort of hat trick exists for this argument sans Claremont.

Are you going to bring out Morrison? As beloved as his work was, it wasn't without controversy either. Is Loeb's Fatal Attraction a high note? What about The Twelve? Are you talking post Jean's death, which was still Morrison?

Ok so you have Whedon on Astonishing and then Bendis' (who once again, has no controversy either right?) attempt with House of M, which is still really classified an Avengers event anyways.

I'm just asking if you're going to derp the herp and label Second Coming as a bad X-Book (even Schism for that matter) do clarify what you find as good X-Literature released in the past five-to-fifteen years.

Onslaught?

AoA?

Maybe you'll just pull out the get out of jail card and go with Uncanny X-Force, because Jean's totally in that.

Long story short, I don't think the X-books are in "trouble" and as big of a Phoenix fan as I am she has largely been reduced to fossil fuel via dark phoenix fumes for the past twenty years. Nobody knew how to write her, and what attempts were perceived as decent (Morrison) ultimately resulted in her death anyways (Morrison).

So no, the Phoenix saga part twenty won't "save" anything.

#22 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

@samlankey:The CBR forum? Really? There are only a few Cyclops fans there and a majority of posters hate Cyclops. Not just that, but most of the posters are crazy and troll each other constantly. That forum needs better mods badly.

#23 Edited by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

except worse

#24 Posted by Shamelesslysupportinaznballers (553 posts) - - Show Bio

X-Factor is great and it doesn't have Jean in it.

#25 Posted by VanAce (139 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the days of the Phoenix force being used with Jean Grey are over. If Jean Grey did come back I would see her staying back for good. They have been hinting for a while that Hope will have something to do with Phoenix Force for a while.

If Jean Grey did come back it would need to be written properly and need to be justified.

As for Second Coming I enjoyed it. Although I can see how some people wouldn't have with both Cable and Nightcrawler killed. But they weren't cheap deaths and they added something to the story further down the line.

#26 Posted by xerogod (205 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rabbitearsblog said:

It's hard to say for me, because it all depends on who is writing the X-Men stories in the future. If Joss Whedon starts writing X-Men again, then I think that the X-books will get better over time since he is a great writer. Also, if Rick Remender wrote some X-books, the series will get better. So my answer:

Yes - if there are good writers who can make Jean Grey's return something meaningful and if the future writers can write X-Men stories that go deep into the characters' personalities and situations.

No - if there are no good writers who can write the future stories of the X-Men in an interesting and memorable way.

agreed

#27 Edited by The Impersonator (5585 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean Grey is already back if you had read the Uncanny X-Force stories. So I doubt that the writers would bring the old Jean back.

#28 Posted by Mercy_ (92985 posts) - - Show Bio

They've never.explicitly said it was Jean and not just the PF.

#29 Posted by Carolina574 (178 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally like Jean being dead. I loved her character, but they never should have been brought her back after the Dark Phoenix story. Her (apparent) death in that story is timeless and really defined her character. I look at her staying dead now as them making up for the huge mistake of bringing her back the first time.  

Plus I would like to see them do something with Rachel Summers/Grey (can't remember what she is going by) in her place. That is an unexplored character in my opionion.

#30 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio

Urgh, stop all this Jean crap. It's like three years old now.

#31 Posted by luckydomino1 (491 posts) - - Show Bio

when jean comes back she better have a weakened phoenix force but still able to go h2h with poeple and they better not kill her off again

#32 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2302 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like they should make her similar to her ultimate universe counterpart since she set up her own identity outside the x-men

#33 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18858 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

Unless if i become a future writer for X-Men. For me people are gonna think of Jean Grey dieing like Queen Elizabeth. It will never happen. lol

#34 Posted by GREGalicious (486 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: If theyre Cyclops fans, they clearly arent smart enough to recognize poor character...but to each its own.

It all depends on whether or not they have writers that arent completely LAME. Its has nothing to do with Jean or her Phoenix.

Im so sick of people trying to blame everything on the Phoenix Force so-called plot device.

#35 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9244 posts) - - Show Bio

I think X-men stories will be interesting when she comes back.

#36 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3617 posts) - - Show Bio

@Morpheus_ said:

Jean Grey isn't going to improve the X-Men franchise, good writers and well executed stories will.

Hear, hear. I would like her to come back with the Phoenix Force and be a cosmic level hero juggling her human ties with her greater responsibilities and power. That being said, she should show up in the X-Men just as a friend, but should stay far away from them, since I think their stories tend to be smaller-scale and of less importance than a character like Dr. Strange, Silver Surfer or Thor. She should finally have a stable, cosmic level of power yet not be able to call upon the full, unlimited power of the PF/Deus ex Machina unless all the other Phoenixii in the White Hot Room concur. I think she should be less of a "super hero" and more of a demi god with greater concerns than whether she likes the name of Wolverine's school.

#37 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that if Marvel makes an editorial decision for Jean to come back, they're probably making editorial decisions to make the X-Men universe better.

#38 Posted by kiss_lamia (1247 posts) - - Show Bio

the only way comics with or without her return will be good is if they get rid of the dead weight writers and editors at marvel loool

#39 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6019 posts) - - Show Bio

@kiss_lamia said:

the only way comics with or without her return will be good is if they get rid of the dead weight writers and editors at marvel loool

Exactly!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.