Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8003 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Why so much hate for Jean Grey?

• 114 results
    elevatorparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By elevatorparty
    @krisis: I think you are quite right.  They (the writers) really did put her personality into limbo after a while. I think she does deserve some kind of solo storyline (as you say like rogue) where we can see her develop, both in terms of power and personality. I know the reasons for her being an x-man may have been explained at some stage but I never felt she had any reason to be in the x-men except that she always had been. Scott's there because he wants to be a leader andt he needs to be in control, Wolverine wants to fight for something he actually believes in for once, Gambit wants to make up for past sins, etc etc. The generic "wanting to do good" motive worked only in the early issues. For someone to die and keep returning, she's got to have some reason to live and to fight. If they could sort that out, then the power problem would not be such an issue. 
    elevatorparty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By elevatorparty
    @krisis: I think you are quite right.  They (the writers) really did put her personality into limbo after a while. I think she does deserve some kind of solo storyline (as you say like rogue) where we can see her develop, both in terms of power and personality. I know the reasons for her being an x-man may have been explained at some stage but I never felt she had any reason to be in the x-men except that she always had been. Scott's there because he wants to be a leader andt he needs to be in control, Wolverine wants to fight for something he actually believes in for once, Gambit wants to make up for past sins, etc etc. The generic "wanting to do good" motive worked only in the early issues. For someone to die and keep returning, she's got to have some reason to live and to fight. If they could sort that out, then the power problem would not be such an issue. 
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#53  Edited By time1

2 reasons really? one, the phoenix, they think it been used to often and two Emma frost, people like her more, they don't seem bored with writers showcasing her and Cyclops all time. It's getting old now. The fact characters like, Psylocke, Colossus, Charles who have all been killed off once, has more focus than her. Characters like Storm, Kitty who are really boring, but there in spotlight more often. Jean Grey is my third favourite x-men and I highlighted in previous blog, called the Jean Grey factor, how important she is. Some people just don't see it. Saying Jean grey is boring, is like saying wolverine is not good fighter, or  trained killer. The fact that she better than a lot of x-men and has better powers too, show how good she really is. 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
    krisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

#55  Edited By krisis
    @elevatorparty said:
    " @krisis: For someone to die and keep returning, she's got to have some reason to live and to fight. If they could sort that out, then the power problem would not be such an issue.  "
    Quoted for truth.
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By Thunderscream
    @Grendel said:
    " Because fanboys control the sales and that's why Deadpool and Wolverine (who aren't awful characters just overexposed) are in anything X nowadays. So instead of Jean Grey they prefer this:

"
    GAH! i turned it off as soon as she started squeezing her bewbs....it's true though, Emma's a double-scoop of eye candy for boner boys...guess i'll never understand the appeal since i'd rather wear Colossus like a banana peel. 

I'm not a Jean hater, I just think it's always inevitable that after a few years the Phoenix rereremanifests and we get the same ol' schlop and she dies again cuz writers don't know what to do past that. I personally hope she remains in the White Hot Room and kinda resides with the likes of the In-Betweener, the Stranger and other godly characters like that.
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By WW-Fan

i think she is awesome! i have nothing against her! she is faar better then stopm btw ;)
    Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Powerzone789

the day i respect jean again is the day where marvel finally ditches the phoenix force and when they decide to stop killing and ressurecting her
    Darksteelwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Darksteelwing
    @Thunderscream said:
    GAH! i turned it off as soon as she started squeezing her bewbs....it's true though, Emma's a double-scoop of eye candy for boner boys...guess i'll never understand the appeal since i'd rather wear Colossus like a banana peel.  
    Funny hearing this from you after that comment on the 3-minute expert:Psylocke (you know, some guy said the same thing about Psylocke). I'll reply the same way you did: Emma's my fave and I have no sexual desire for her. 

I don't dislike Jean. Heck, if I were to make a 10 favorite mutants list she would probably be there. She's important to the team's history and I think she has nice powers.
    It's just that every time I go to a Jean thread there are always posts badmouthing Emma and that's annoying as hell.
    WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By WW-Fan

if she was a man! i am sure there would not be so much hate about her :)
    Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By Shadowdoggy

I don't hate Jean Grey 
    she's a fictional character, and I actually DO like her 
    its the ramoant fanboy-ism that kills me 
    people who have seen the X-films and every episode of X-men Evolution feel like they know EVERYthing there is to know about Marvel and just love to make sweeping generalizations about Jean as she is in contrast to the rest of the Marvel U, or the other women of Marvel, at least 
    there are folks who liek her and Storm and no one else 
    and it isn't the character that bothers me, it's the attitude of her fans 
    I feel the same way about the X-men in general: you shouldn't limit your view because you have a strong affinity for one particular character, team, title, whathaveyou  
    and also 
    I don't like any of the "unbeatable, god-like" characters 
    where's the fun in that? 
    I want someone who has to struggle and maybe even fail every once and a while 
    and it's just not Jean for me, sorry 
    and to all the jean fans, the limited ones, the ones who only enjoy jean-centered material, there are PLENTY of other characters to enjoy who are also strong women with great power and a deep emotional well...actually, that's sort of marvel's recipe for a femal superhero, so nevermind 
    I think there are SO many other amazing female characters in Marvel who deserve a chance in the limelight 
    but I guess I'll just have to wait and see if and when they ever do
    Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why do people hate Jean Grey? 
    most people don't actually hate Jean Grey...they just any of these things 
    1  her fans, the ones that only like Jean and think anything not-Jean Grey related sucks
    2  the Phoenix Force, why make the most powerful mutant even more powerful?
    3  TAS Jean Grey, that's the only Jean Grey a lot of people know and think she's boring (she was in that show) 
    Winfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Winfield

4 Rangas are evil

Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Aqua11500

You must have her confused with Storm..lol 

Sometimes people tend to be resentful towards the character because she is considered "overpowered" and overrated sometimes.I can kinda see the frustration,i mean why would you give an Omega lvl Mutant a cosmic force..that screams  SUPER RAPE CURB STOMP FTW!  some people just don't like her for that reason alone,but usually powerful characters generally receive the most hate because they pwn just about anybody or anything,or would win majority of fights. 

lot of people hate the following 

Phoenix 
    Thor 
    Superman+family 
    WW 
    Apocalypse 
    Doom 
    Storm 
    GL(any version)  
    Batman(with prep)

that's the price that comes with being a power house.just ignore it,9 times out of 10 if you let it die for awhile and don't add fuel to the fire. people will gravitate back towards the character. =)

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#65  Edited By CellphoneGirl
    @Aqua11500: Your right with that.
    Robyn 666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Robyn 666

Jean does get pushed to the back too much...she IS a coool character! Though they DO make her a tad snoring from time to time. She has the potential to totally ROCK IT...Bad writers *tsk tsk*  Its all their fault!! LOL Poor Jean :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By 651

jean was the best member of the x-men by a long shot

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#68  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Jean is a spectacularly average character. She's really not that interesting. I don't hate her, because I can't be bothered investing any hatred in her. Stories are better when she's not there.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#69  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @Robyn 666:
    well, she hasn't been in any books for a really long time 
    unless you count Forever....which (let's be honest) is like 3 steps in front of being a comic you get for free at the dentist's office 
    seriously, I keep expecting Storm to promote healthier gums by using Crest with flouride 
    she's been gone for a minute 
    and when she undoubtedly comes back, we can start the whole "she's too powerful, not she isn't" debate all over again
    Robyn 666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Robyn 666
    @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    "spectacularly average character"

Hahaha   LOVE IT!  She is uber cool, in theory ... BUT ...   Yes as is she is spectacularly average  :P
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#71  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @Robyn 666 said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt said:
    "spectacularly average character"
      Hahaha   LOVE IT!  She is uber cool, in theory ... BUT ...   Yes as is she is spectacularly average  :P "
    To prove this point, I use the credits for the 90s Animated Series.

CYCLOPS
    BEAST
    STORM
    ROGUE
    GAMBIT
    jean grey
    WOLVERINE
    PROFESSOR X 

Fail, Jean! Get a codename!
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FadeToBlackBolt:
    no codename doesn't = fail...Jubilee explained this clearly ;) 

Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Aqua11500
    @The_Greatest_Username said:
    " @FadeToBlackBolt:
    no codename doesn't = fail...Jubilee explained this clearly ;) 

No Caption Provided
    "
    LOL what a jug head
    SDSMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By SDSMP
    @JCJQLB said:
    " Jean Grey is the most exiting and the coolest character in the X-men comics "
    Which part of Jean is interesting? I hate Jean for these reasons:
    Fans - her fans are rabid. RABID I tell you. They're deadly
    No Personality- as someone up thread said she is sooooo boring and is always being written as the good girl who can't control her powers. That would be cool at first, but she needs character growth
    Emma Frost- She is way cooler than Jean. By Far, she actually has a personality, and when she is in the comic i laugh whereas Jean makes me yawn. the last reason is because she wont stay dead and that makes me frustrated 

Avatar image for thegentlemanrogue
    thegentlemanrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heres a fun game, get out a pen and a peace of paper and try and describe Jean Grey without mentioning her appearance, powers or the Pheonix Force. Then, when you are done looking that blank piece of paper that doesn't have a single adjective on it, come back here and see if you can solve the mystery of why so many people don't like Jean Grey.

JCJQLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By JCJQLB
    @SDSMP: You have your opinion I have mine!! >D
    SDSMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SDSMP
    @JCJQLB: Notice how you could not even tell me which part of Jean was interesting
    JCJQLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By JCJQLB
    @SDSMP:  Sorry I forgot that part!! Well, for me Jean is interesting because I grown up watching X-men Evolution and I quickly fell in love with the character anyway Jean is beautiful, has green eyes, red hair and she's one of the mos powerful x-men mutants!
    SDSMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By SDSMP
    @JCJQLB: Wait let me get this straight, you think Jean is interesting because she has red hair, green eyes and is powerful( I personally think she is not that powerful because she dies all the time, but whatever). You must also like: Mary Jane, Black Widow, Tigra, Red Sonja, Firestar and even Poison Ivy.
    JCJQLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By JCJQLB
    @SDSMP: I like MJ, I love Firestar and Poison Ivy!
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By time1

Jean Grey passion and spirit like no other. She forgiving as well. How can no one like girl who has telekinesis, anyone who played x-men legends will know what she liked. She the only women who both leadering man loved. 
    @thegentlemanrogue said:

" Heres a fun game, get out a pen and a peace of paper and try and describe Jean Grey without mentioning her appearance, powers or the Pheonix Force. Then, when you are done looking that blank piece of paper that doesn't have a single adjective on it, come back here and see if you can solve the mystery of why so many people don't like Jean Grey. "
    Same could be said for any other character.
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegentlemanrogue:
    she's a very strong passionate character that thinks of others before herself...she's an ideal hero 
    and no...this can't be said for every character 

and to anyone that says she's boring...I wanna know which versions of Jean Grey have you actually read
    time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By time1
    @The_Greatest_Username  

I was disagreeing with   thegentlemanrogue, when he was mentioning her powers & appearences, Jean is great character and she is missed.
    Chaos Burn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#84  Edited By Chaos Burn

Not that I hate Jean Grey, I just prefer other characters

The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@time:
    I know, I was directing it at anyone who says she's boring
    michael9065

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By michael9065

People hate Jean because.....................well the list goes on forever. But the same could be said about any character from anything. Characters of storys and movies will always have people who dislike them or hate them.  My point being a single character cant win over everyone.    Take example those who don't hate Jean but something about her    is bothering them. What that is in fact your own opinion. You can say what you want about a character from what you read in storys, even if it's positive, but it's how you perceive that infomation is what changes whether you like or dislike a character. 

Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#87  Edited By Zoom

Jean Grey was a great character up until the Dark Phoenix Saga.  After she was brought back to life, most major stories with her stunk of editorial mandate and her crowning moment of awesome was retconned away.
    Avatar image for diamondheartforever
    DiamondHeartForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I Will Say Myself I Do Not Like Jean Grey At All And I Don't Want Someone Calling Me A Emma Fan Boy Or Whatever Because That Is Not The Case...To Be Honest I Was The Biggest Jean Fan! I Really Loved Her In The Games! But As Emma Frost Came In The Picture...I Realized How Interesting She Was And Then Emma Made Me Want To Read More And More On The Edge Of My Seat Wondering What Will She Do Next And Then My Passion For Jean Slipped Because Putting Her Next To Emma Jean Is Really Dull And Boring.....I Do Love How Jean Was  Devoted  To Scott And The Team It's Just I Feel She Is Not Exciting..

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#89  Edited By Bestostero
    @DiamondHeartForever: Emma Fanboy.
    DiamondHeartForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xhavoc86: You Are Clearly  A  Illiterate Little Snot And I Will Not Engage In Some Pitiless Discussion Or Argument With You...
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Bestostero
    @DiamondHeartForever: And yet you're doing it anyways Emma Fanboy! :)
    DiamondHeartForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xhavoc86: Hm.
    kiss_lamia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#93  Edited By kiss_lamia

well for me i like jean most of the time i just think she just stole maddie's lime light which was a bit crap since maddie was a great character and she got derailed because of jeans return.

Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Aqua11500

I STILL LUV HER

MzombieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By MzombieX

I honestly didn't realize there was alot of specific "Jean hate" out there ... 
    I'll give some love to Marvel's Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc)
    Love Jean Grey! 

oldgum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By oldgum

I like Karen Grant better, you know what I mean

sputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By sputnik
    @Thor's hammmer: ha i totally agree. jean is awesome!
    njones5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By njones5

jean grey is my favorite super hero ever i love jean people are jealous because she looks great

LipstickZombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By LipstickZombie

See, the thing I hate about Jean is that she is always the "girl next-door". One of the reasons I hate her with Scott is because they are too perfect, like the Cinderella and Prince Charming of the Marvel universe. This is not only outdated but also boring. The only time she is interesting is when she dies (which happens far too often). And now that she is coming back in All New X-Men, she will not have that awesome character development that the Phoenix gave her. She needs to be more edgy and SOON.

Minerboh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Minerboh

I do not know whats the deal in the USA but in Greece, she has a strong fan club and we sure despise a certain blonde femme fatale wannabe!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.