Why does she keep getting killed off?

• 59 results
#51 Posted by Thorion88 (302 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

She needs a reboot in the worst way. I don't recall coming across a (Marvel) character who needs to be rebooted more than Jean Grey does.

This for the love of all things holy, this!
#52 Posted by gravitypress (2066 posts) - - Show Bio

Its because they made her to strong. So strong she doesn't fit well with the street levelers.

#53 Posted by PhoenixoftheTides (3627 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

She needs a reboot in the worst way. I don't recall coming across a (Marvel) character who needs to be rebooted more than Jean Grey does.

I am hoping that she is rebooted as a cosmic entity, officially making her a new version of the character. I think that the issue with her character is that to a certain extent, she needs to "grow up" and largely leave the X-Men to do their own thing. This reminds me of the large-scale story lines involving Thor, where they often happened in a separate series of adventures from the rest of the Avengers. When the God Squad gets together, there really is nothing much for a Black Widow, Scarlet Witch or Captain America to do besides become cheerleaders. The same thing happened to the X-Men. When Phoenix started pushing the boundaries of what a psychic was capable of, having the other teammates around became pretty pointless - "Hey guys, I'm going to repair the timeline and erase this villain from existence. Please stand back and gawk from an appropriate distance.".

The X-Men thrive off of being underdogs, yet they have developed a bad habit of graduating the older characters to Omega level status for no reason and then creating new characters that are already that powerful. I'm not sure if Hope needs to be as powerful as they are making her out to be, but her character arc reminds me of Rachel's and Nate's so far where they were "potentially the most powerful mutant EV4R!!!" and it gets over done. 

We'll have to see what happens. It is possible that Jean, Bobby, Storm, Nate and Hope were examples of how powerful the mutant genome could grow to be, and the question of whether or not this power was meant for mortal control could trigger a response from higher level beings. Not sure if Schism will have anything to do with that, though, :P
#54 Edited by ssstarquin (55 posts) - - Show Bio

she never kept dying.. she died once..nd now somehow ppl seem to b havin a problem wit her comin back more tan oter characters even though shes da only one wit power levels tat justify her being back.... first time dying wasnt her.. nd shes dead now cos 1 writer wanted a blonde bimbo wit cyke... nd oter writers r following suit by using DP in her place... its some sort of arcane marvel writers ritual .. to enter da marvel writers circle u need to kill jean or some form of her... so now iron age is all set to follow suit..

#55 Posted by raphaelgo (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Short answer:

She keeps getting killed off because she's too powerful

Long answer:

Because she's so powerful, Jean Grey can't be in the X-Men team or any team for that matter because she's way out of the league of the power levels of Earth's superheroes. Unless you go back to Jean where her 90% of her telekinetic and 100% telepathic powers are blocked by Xavier, then she can solo anyone without the help of Storm, Cyclops, Emma, etc. Jean Grey is the Phoenix Force which therefore puts her at a cosmic level, a being able to destroy Galactus and other cosmics. Basically, if she comes back, characters Jean Grey will fight against can only survive due to her morals (she ALWAYS holds herself back), plot armor, or backstabbing.

Examples:

Hulk vs Jean? Jean can just shut down his mind, telekinetically extract the gamma radiation out of Hulk thereby reducing him to Bruce Banner. Or she can, you know, rip off him arms and legs via TK, etc.

To make things more complicated she's kinda used now as a plot device. Scott is with Emma (and the loss of Jean changed him) and Wolverine renamed the school in her name. Hope Summers is basically Jean Grey reincarnated, and Jean/PF created more mutants after the whole Scarlet Witch event depowering most mutants. She's basically a god.

A perfect example of this is WatXM. Jean was used as a plot device because she's too powerful to be on the team, as the Phoenix was born within her in the show. She was seen to solo Magneto back when she was Marvel Girl, so yeah, if a hero can solo a major supervillain then you have a major problem.

And by the way, she's not really dead, she's a god in the White Hot Room, looking down on Earth 616 and other realities. She's there picking up the pieces or something, but basically writers only use her/the Phoenix Force whenever they need a deus ex machina.

#56 Posted by mechem_93 (122 posts) - - Show Bio

She only died like two times, wich isn't much for comic book standars.

#57 Edited by GREGalicious (491 posts) - - Show Bio

Its simply a case of SLOPPY writers who don't know what to do with her. In fact, the shamelessly unoriginal Hope Summers was basically created to do what Jean should have been doing all this time.

I do however like that the future X-Man, Xorn is actually Jean. It speaks very highly of her wearing the same costume as the man who killed her. Jean has so many different aspects of her personality and they seem to only be shown in EVERY OTHER universe except the main 616 universe...

#58 Edited by HexThis (916 posts) - - Show Bio

There are two schools of thought on this and they're both ridiculous.

Party A believes in the emo rule of dead girlfriends ala Gwen Stacy. Wolverine can basically mock death, the world ceases to turn without Cap but since Jean's initial death was so tragic and at least one or two guys still gets to cry about it and fight over it, we're not allowed to alter that according to them. Bucky can come back with cybernetic arm in a block of ice but someone with a namesake of the "Phoenix"? Blasphemy! Then they say she's boring and blah, blah, blah which alterable with good writing (X-factor) and entirely subjective. Also, this young Jean Grey has been flat-out dominating the X-men titles so that assertion is questionable.

Party B believes Jean should be like Nova except in her case it would basically be like she's had all her insides carved to be a host to a pissy cosmic canary. They drink the Kool-aid on the Phoenix's argument that Jean and the Phoenix are one in the same and that there are all these cosmic scales that need to be balanced. Frankly, I can't see an unkillable, intangible, star eater holding a title from space where she's barely even capable of relating to other characters really taking off.

What I think is that Jean can be a fantastic character and that adjusting a god to mortal rules can be done and it can be done very well. Look at Magik or Thor or, even outside Marvel, Illyria from Angel. Make Jean darker, give her a different guy, have her use physical force more often, there are many solutions.

That's party C, by the way, the rest of us who just see something else entirely. I guess there are 3 schools of thought.

#59 Edited by time (5172 posts) - - Show Bio

@gregalicious said:

Its simply a case of SLOPPY writers who don't know what to do with her. In fact, the shamelessly unoriginal Hope Summers was basically created to do what Jean should have been doing all this time.

I do however like that the future X-Man, Xorn is actually Jean. It speaks very highly of her wearing the same costume as the man who killed her. Jean has so many different aspects of her personality and they seem to only be shown in EVERY OTHER universe except the main 616 universe...

I think your right. it all comes down to the stupid writers, who are to busy creating alternative versions of her, instead of focusing on the real Jean Grey. They to busy using her rip-off characters in comics as well e.g Hope, Maddie and Rachel Grey.

@hexthis said:

There are two schools of thought on this and they're both ridiculous.

Party A believes in the emo rule of dead girlfriends ala Gwen Stacy. Wolverine can basically mock death, the world ceases to turn without Cap but since Jean's initial death was so tragic and at least one or two guys still gets to cry about it and fight over it, we're not allowed to alter that according to them. Bucky can come back with cybernetic arm in a block of ice but someone with a namesake of the "Phoenix"? Blasphemy! Then they say she's boring and blah, blah, blah which alterable with good writing (X-factor) and entirely subjective. Also, this young Jean Grey has been flat-out dominating the X-men titles so that assertion is questionable.

Party B believes Jean should be like Nova except in her case it would basically be like she's had all her insides carved to be a host to a pissy cosmic canary. They drink the Kool-aid on the Phoenix's argument that Jean and the Phoenix are one in the same and that there are all these cosmic scales that need to be balanced. Frankly, I can't see an unkillable, intangible, star eater holding a title from space where she's barely even capable of relating to other characters really taking off.

What I think is that Jean can be a fantastic character and that adjusting a god to mortal rules can be done and it can be done very well. Look at Magik or Thor or, even outside Marvel, Illyria from Angel. Make Jean darker, give her a different guy, have her use physical force more often, there are many solutions.

That's party C, by the way, the rest of us who just see something else entirely. I guess there are 3 schools of thought.

I think I will add 4 more schools of thought.

Party D

Marvel don't really care about her character. They show no respect or justice to her character in over 9 years.

Party E

Marvel only care about Cyclops character. At the cost of Jean Grey character, as well as other comic characters.

Party F

Writers who are fans of Emma Frost, who believe she has more to offer the X-Men than Jean Grey does, when she clearly hasn't

Party G

Writers who are fans of Emma and Scott. Who believe they are better couple, when then not. Nothing happen with Emma and Scott relationship, nothing of real interest. There relationship hasn't move forward. They been standing still and moving backwards over the last 6 years.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.