Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8006 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Why does she keep getting killed off?

• 59 results
    blogblaster9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By blogblaster9

She has died so many times its already dull but does it keep happening?
    vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Because she sucks...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Because they have no idea what to do with her...her character has been absolutely butchered over the years..she's one of my all time faves but she's beyond hope now.
    JCJQLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JCJQLB
    I think she is always dead because the writers can't handle the complex of the character and the problems that Jean brings to the team. Because of that they don't know what to do to her... so she's dead!
    MrRagePants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MrRagePants

And she should remain DEAD! Her character is beyond help.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
    deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

She's become a plot device. (Phoenix Endsong.)

Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Jotham

It's a tradition.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#8  Edited By time1

It's cause they have no respect for her. I mean characters like beast, and angel get more respect.  There is always hope for jean.

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

she only dies when they make her too powerful (see the Dark Phoenix Saga and Grant Morrison's New X-Men) she never dies when she doesn't have any Phoenix powers
    Treason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Treason

its her mutant power just like wolverine mutant power is too be in many teams

mario_nblc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By mario_nblc
    @Phoenix of the Black Throne:
    smart! love it!
    John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By John_Feaster
    @Jake Fury said:
    "Because they have no idea what to do with her...her character has been absolutely butchered over the years..she's one of my all time faves but she's beyond hope now. "

Good observation! She's one of a few characters/places who will always be cursed by the Lazy Writer Syndrome. She will always eventually become Phoenix...and then die. Just like the Scarlet Witch will ALWAYS eventually go crazy...and Asgard will ALWAYS be destroyed... 

None of them are beyond repair...but it's not likely that they will be handled correctly again. I hope she's back soon...then she leaves the X-Men and Scott behind for a while. That team (and that man) are poison to her. Maybe she could spend time with Hank McCoy in the Avengers? 
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Green Skin

It's because she's boring.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By jordama

She has become to powerful. Powerful characters become boring and disliked. I think everyone remember sentry.  
    Character gets to powerful and suddenly there is no point in having a team at all, the one character can do it alone.
    agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By agent9149

because of the phoenix and because the phoenix is a nut job and doesn't know what to do with itself....

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By IrishX

Let's keep this real simple. 

The Phoenix represents death and rebirth. It only makes sense that she would die and come back.

John_Feaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By John_Feaster
    @IrishX said:
    "Let's keep this real simple.  The Phoenix represents death and rebirth. It only makes sense that she would die and come back. "

Yes, but Jean Grey need not always be the Phoenix.
    Hunter114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By Hunter114

Well the original phoenix saga had Jean becoming too powerful, when that happens, something had to be done, so they made her a villain (as Dark Phoenix) - The problem came after she repressed the phoenix, they couldn't just throw that part of her away, so they had to bring it out every now and then. This gave the character some credibility and got the attention (and money) of the reader, but they couldn't just keep doing the same thing over and over again, so they killed her, then they brought her back for ratings etc, but then they had to bring the phoenix back again, so it became a perpetual cycle of dying and coming back - for which they give the excuse that that's what a phoenix does.

But I think that she is currently dead(?) and there would be no point in bringing her back because the plot devices have now been transfered to Rachel Gray (Miss Marvel) who is a host to the Phoenix Force and Hope Summers, who managed to display some Phoenix-esque powers of her own.

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Michiel76

Well i agree, she dies because thats what a phoenix is all about, die and rise from the ashes reborn.

But also she has/had this love triangle between 2 major X-characters, wolverine and cyclops. So i think they use her as a tool to shake them up and screw with their heads.

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Silver Knight75

I keep losing track, is she dead or alive right now?

Avatar image for lord_oraculous016
    lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Silver Knight75 said:
    " I keep losing track, is she dead or alive right now? "
    she is neither.. she's in a Higher Plane of Existence.. 

she constantly die and reborn again for her to understand the power given to her.. she must cycle life and death to be worthy of the Phoenix.. like what Death told her before..
    Aqua11500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aqua11500
    @lord_oraculous016 said:
    " @Silver Knight75 said:
    she is neither.. she's in a Higher Plane of Existence..   she constantly die and reborn again for her to understand the power given to her.. she must cycle life and death to be worthy of the Phoenix.. like what Death told her before.. "
    No basically she's dead.
    Avatar image for lord_oraculous016
    lord_oraculous016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aqua11500 said:
    " @lord_oraculous016 said:
    " @Silver Knight75 said:
    she is neither.. she's in a Higher Plane of Existence..   she constantly die and reborn again for her to understand the power given to her.. she must cycle life and death to be worthy of the Phoenix.. like what Death told her before.. "
    No basically she's dead. "
    yes.. in the physical sense.. but she exist in the White Hot Room.. so she still exist only in a higher plane incomprehensible to mortal minds.. 
    babywix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By babywix

Well, to be honest, I don't see anything defining about her personality and that makes her boring. The thing that's probably defining about her character, though, is because of her Phoenix powers. I'd prefer she'd just stay dead. I know that's not what a phoenix is all about, but she should just stay dead.

moviegeek17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By moviegeek17

i get the feeling its an inside joke in marvel now.

psyrax2k11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By psyrax2k11

Jean Grey does not suck and she's not boring, it's not her fault that certain writers, write her the way they do; blame them.  Jean needs someone to write her well and one that knows how to write her character.  What makes someone like Emma Frost better?  The main reason why I believe that so many favor Emma is because of how she looks and acts.  Now, I don't hate her in anyway, but in my opinion, I just feel she lacks certain character, I just feel she's always written the same; sure she went from being one of the X-mens most deadly villains, to fighting right along side with them, and I think that's great, but she's still shadowed in the aspect of who she was and is written as such in that sense.  When I see Emma, I look beyond the blonde hair, beyond her bust, her dress, I see her as a tragic hero;someone who just needs to have a good story to better put her on the map then where she is.  With Jean, it's usually like this:  She's Jean Grey, she's fighting as an 'X-Man', she becomes Phoenix, she dies, repeat process.  I think Jean can be Phoenix, and not have death hovering over her always, just waiting.  Jean can have stories that are not always Phoenix related, it's just that writers for some reason can't see beyond her Phoenix aspect; it's like they see a 'dead end sign' and that's it.  Jean is never beyond hope or repair, no character is.  She just needs to be in the hands of a writer that can write her as Jean Grey as Phoenix without going down the uberpower route which leads to her eventual (and unsurprising) death.     
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By daredevil21134
    @psyrax2k11 said:
    "Jean Grey does not suck and she's not boring, it's not her fault that certain writers, write her the way they do; blame them.  Jean needs someone to write her well and one that knows how to write her character.  What makes someone like Emma Frost better?  The main reason why I believe that so many favor Emma is because of how she looks and acts.  Now, I don't hate her in anyway, but in my opinion, I just feel she lacks certain character, I just feel she's always written the same; sure she went from being one of the X-mens most deadly villains, to fighting right along side with them, and I think that's great, but she's still shadowed in the aspect of who she was and is written as such in that sense.  When I see Emma, I look beyond the blonde hair, her bust, her dress, I see her as a tragic hero, she just needs to have a good story that to me should put her better on the map then where she is.  With Jean, it's usually like this:  She's Jean Grey, she's fighting as an 'X-Man', she becomes Phoenix, she dies, repeat process.  I think Jean can be Phoenix, and not have death hovering over her always, just waiting.  Jean can have stories that are not always Phoenix related, it's just that writers for some reason can't see beyond her Phoenix aspect; it's like they see a 'dead end sign' and that's it.  Jean is never beyond hope or repair, no character is.  She just needs to be in the hands of a writer that can write her as Jean Grey as Phoenix without going down the uberpower route which leads to her eventual (and unsurprising) death.      "

well said
    psyrax2k11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By psyrax2k11
    @daredevil21134: 

Thank you. much appreciated.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Because it's one of the choices that pop up on the magic 8 ball when the writers run out of ideas. Others include "reinvent Wolverine's origins," "Xavier regains/loses ability to walk," "retcon someone in some way that connects them to Mystique," and "clone somebody."

King Quisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By King Quisling

Because if she isn't the Phoenix she's just kind of boring.

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheCrowbar

She's actually Kenny.

EmmaGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By EmmaGrace

I truly do hope there is still hope for Jean....
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By Gambit1024

I think Jean deserves a chance at life, lol. If she didn't have the Phoenix Force they should at least try to develop her character a little bit. Just give the Phoenix Force to somebody else. 

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheCrowbar

I don't know why she can't be part of the Annihilators if she's so powerful, that series needs a female powerhouse.

jakeeboi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By jakeeboi17

In my opinion, she should just stay dead now. It's boring, it's been done. She should stay dead, and be forgotten about... Forever.

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By Shadowdoggy
    @jakeeboi17:
    agreed!
    psyrax2k11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By psyrax2k11
    @jakeeboi17: 

Well that's never going to happen. 
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mewmdude77
    @John_Feaster said:
    " @Jake Fury said:
    "Because they have no idea what to do with her...her character has been absolutely butchered over the years..she's one of my all time faves but she's beyond hope now. "
       Good observation! She's one of a few characters/places who will always be cursed by the Lazy Writer Syndrome. She will always eventually become Phoenix...and then die. Just like the Scarlet Witch will ALWAYS eventually go crazy...and Asgard will ALWAYS be destroyed...     None of them are beyond repair...but it's not likely that they will be handled correctly again. I hope she's back soon...then she leaves the X-Men and Scott behind for a while. That team (and that man) are poison to her. Maybe she could spend time with Hank McCoy in the Avengers?  "
    Don't forget the rule where Spider-Man isn't supposed to have anything go right in his life and he has to suffer through life and watch his love ones go away or die. Why does Marvel hate Peter so much??
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EnSabahNurX

I just want her back with her TK and telepathy make her powerful but keep it within reason like haver her telepathy be prof X level and boost her TK and if they want throw in some pyrokinesis just as a nod to the phoenix but remove the phoenix and lock it away in the white hot room 

They can even have her team up with the phoenix force for the occasional mission But I dont mind that shes died a lot because she has a similar issue that psylocke has with the body swapping plot and her deaths, they just need to reintroduce her and have her go on a solo journey(a miniseries) dealing with everything thats happened to her family and her life, then make her character more independent 

I'd love to see her join x-force XD and have a small fling with logan, then move on, the writers on X-force can probably fix her character and make her more likable again

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheCrowbar
    @mewmdude77 said:

" @John_Feaster said:

" @Jake Fury said:
       Good observation! She's one of a few characters/places who will always be cursed by the Lazy Writer Syndrome. She will always eventually become Phoenix...and then die. Just like the Scarlet Witch will ALWAYS eventually go crazy...and Asgard will ALWAYS be destroyed...     None of them are beyond repair...but it's not likely that they will be handled correctly again. I hope she's back soon...then she leaves the X-Men and Scott behind for a while. That team (and that man) are poison to her. Maybe she could spend time with Hank McCoy in the Avengers?  "
    Don't forget the rule where Spider-Man isn't supposed to have anything go right in his life and he has to suffer through life and watch his love ones go away or die. Why does Marvel hate Peter so much?? "

It's cause he's black.
     It's cause he's black.
    mewmdude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mewmdude77
    @TheCrowbar: Nice that was hilarious!!!
    ChuckSass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By ChuckSass

you say shes a shitty character, but you probably are all Emma fans. As we speak, the well written Emma is becoming the next Jean. When Jean comes back, shes gonna tear shit up. she's single, she'll have to adjust to everything, theres a story right there, and she might have some sort of depression and resentment.

eitherway, Jean like most X-Men comics, were great until 2003
    shadow death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By shadow death

i think its because shes too powerful  so it basically limits the over all x-men

abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By abeyance

they just make jean the primary villain for the xmen. i mean she has a phoenix entity or mutant evolutionary power that makes her like demi god status. She has been with the Xmen and seen the atrocities committed by humans and mutants alike. She could easily just say 75% of all life on earth should be wiped out and let the other 25% repopulate the earth and stress that her actions were because humanity as a whole failed to evolve on a moral stand point...whatever right.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mercy_
    @ChuckSass The thing is that Emma hasn't been well written since Fraction started on Uncanny.
    Zaber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 67

#46  Edited By Zaber

It amazes to keep her alive because she is still fighting and not giving up on her life. She may able to stop the Phoenix by herself, return back to her life. She might able to reach the Death by making the deal with the Death. This could be good story!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@Jake Fury said:
    Because they have no idea what to do with her...her character has been absolutely butchered over the years..she's one of my all time faves but she's beyond hope now.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Because she's a God Mode Sue and a cancer to good storytelling.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#49  Edited By fodigg
    She's got too much baggage at this point. As many people would cheer her return would hate it. And you already have so many other characters covering the same bases she used to. Emma is Scott's love interest, the cuckoos cover the "we need crazy telepaths we can kill off," Rachael Summers is the new Marvel Girl/"Phoenix," and Hope has the messiah/ultimate power thing going on. 

I'm not saying that rebooting her in a way that makes her good is impossible, I'm just saying it's not necessary and the return is probably not worth the effort/risk/outrage.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Mercy_

She needs a reboot in the worst way. I don't recall coming across a (Marvel) character who needs to be rebooted more than Jean Grey does.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.