Who else hates Jean Grey?

• 55 results
#1 Posted by PurpleFeather738 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I know she may be useful most of the time but I just absolutely hate her in general! Everything she does really bugs me.... So can someone please tell me that she is not that annoying and stupid and is a valued X-Man or tell me why you really hate her. I need some moral support here...

#2 Posted by Flopsop200 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated her depiction in the 90's cartoon.Barring Morrison's run on the X-men, and Phoenix Endsong I don't think she's really had a presence in Marvel for some time now. The things I have read her in, she didn't bother me.

#3 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Jean Grey and she didn't bother me, it's just that I hate how they keep throwing her in a stupid love triangle instead of developing her character.

That's why I like her Ultimate, AoA, XMFC, XMS1, counter parts better. Hell I liked her in X-Men: Inferno cause she was becoming the not so sarah plain and tall/goody two shoes jean.

It's like writers tried not to explore or develop her character more. That's why I said I wouldn't mind if she came back in AvX or after as long as she's either on her own and official moved on from Scott or on a different team maybe working with storm being on the field more instead of constantly at a school.

#4 Posted by John Valentine (16270 posts) - - Show Bio

Give specific examples of what she's done to annoy you.

#5 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7202 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes i wish Evolution Jean was the REAL Jean, i mean, she had her frequent "Scott!! I don't think i can take it anymore, it's just--it's too heavy!" moments, but she kicked ass.

#6 Edited by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

@John Valentine said:

Give specific examples of what she's done to annoy you.

Agreed, I can't abide by someone just making a hate post. They have NO purpose. Now if this were well thought out and provided clear examples of why you dislike this character maybe, but putting a hate forum on another characters page is just seems rude IMO.

#7 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the fact that she was the strongest X-men yet it always seemed she needed to be saved.

I hate the fact that she was in that bloody triangle with scott and logan.

I hate the fact that the phoenix story arches have muddy her story line.

I'd love to see a more mature jean stronger and more confident and wiser with a dormant phoenix.

I'd love to see jean back in the marvel U alive.

I'd really love to see her ignore emma I really don't want to see a hair pulling clothes ripping cat fight over past wrongs. Walk away from scott's utopia and stay far away from wolverine.

#8 Posted by TDK_1997 (13718 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate her too.

#9 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

@PurpleFeather738:

@Crimsonlord53:

@Hareil0079 said:

I like Jean Grey and she didn't bother me, it's just that I hate how they keep throwing her in a stupid love triangle instead of developing her character.

That's why I like her Ultimate, AoA, XMFC, XMS1, counter parts better. Hell I liked her in X-Men: Inferno cause she was becoming the not so sarah plain and tall/goody two shoes jean.

It's like writers tried not to explore or develop her character more. That's why I said I wouldn't mind if she came back in AvX or after as long as she's either on her own and official moved on from Scott or on a different team maybe working with storm being on the field more instead of constantly at a school.

i dont think marvel will ever bring her back bacause scotts with emma now and for them(scott and jean) to get a a divorce seems wrong.....and marvel is against jean beng paired with wolverine

divorce this happy couple???i think not
#10 Posted by Teerack (4550 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean is probably the beast adult female super hero.

#12 Posted by Osian2 (455 posts) - - Show Bio

The overused Phoenix stories just made her character repetetive. Her relationships IMO never hurt her character i.e. 616 Scott and Jean, AOA Logan and Jean and helped define her as a character. It's when she started getting involved in love triangles that ruined her.

#13 Posted by Hareil0079 (429 posts) - - Show Bio

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@PurpleFeather738:

@Crimsonlord53:

@Hareil0079 said:

i dont think marvel will ever bring her back bacause scotts with emma now and for them(scott and jean) to get a a divorce seems wrong.....and marvel is against jean beng paired with wolverine

divorce this happy couple???i think not

Divorce, women pushed scott to be with emma in the end to alter a potential future. A divorce can work. They are not Mr and Mrs Fantastic. Jean and Wolverine as a pair?? wont happen? if it happen in AoA and briefly for a time in the Ultimate universe i think it's more than viable... Just people can't get their rear ends out their buts to let it happen cause the of the whole Cyke and Jean pairing they love (ignoring the fact he betrayed her twice!)

#14 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind her. She doesn't bother me. But I hate how she's so defined by everything else that she has had little time to define herself. She's mostly a character that everyone reacts to, and we never get a definitive personality. With some good writing, I think she could be a really intriguing character.

#15 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean died. That severed the marriage from a legal stand point.

#16 Posted by ChaosAgent (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh. I love Jean, always have, always will. I just wish Marvel would cut the crap and bring her back. And without the whole Phoenix Force business.

#17 Posted by The Stegman (20786 posts) - - Show Bio

I like her...

#18 Posted by dm_jlifan (24 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't hate her, but her character is so tied with the Phoenix and the love triangle that I think it hurt her character. When her character does come back, it should be separate from those elements that made her bland in the first place.

#19 Posted by _Zombie_ (10226 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate isn't the word I'd use. Disinterested fits better. Like previously said, the Phoenix and the love triangle defining her kind of turned me off of the character. If she comes back free of either of those, I'll gladly take an interest in the character again.

#20 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated the baggage of her. I hated how they haven't done anything new with her in forever and since she died the second time, it's like the writers just wouldn't leave that baggage alone, so we didn't even get a break from her. She was even more annoying dead than alive.

#21 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

Jean died. That severed the marriage from a legal stand point.

actually if ur dead wife comes back from the dead....its still his wife legally....it happens in soap operas all the time lol

plus it would explain why emma frost and scott never married........shouldnt they be married by now?????

#22 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

it happens in soap operas all the time lol

Because soap operas are generally regarded for being completely accurate...

#23 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29331 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't hate her... I just hate what her deaths and rebirths represent.

#24 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

God Mode Sues are always interesting.  

Oh wait. 

#25 Posted by Duchess (5990 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I respect her importance to the mythology of the X-Men (particularly her role in the Dark Phoenix Saga and Grant Morrison's New X-Men), but as a character I rather dislike her. Her love triangle with Cyclops and Wolverine only has a few notable moments of purpose, and Morrison wrote it perfectly when she said to Scott that all she ever did was die on him (the only thing she has ever really done to help his character grow was die). Really, her greatest accomplishments as a character were in death.

Jean always came across as either completely uninteresting, save for her connection to the Phoenix, or was outshone by stronger and more intriguing X-Women like Emma Frost or Storm. She was defined by her relationship with Cyclops (and vice versa) for so long, and I was glad to see that end.

Love

#26 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't mind Jean Grey, but I feel that she is always being held back by her everlasting love triangle with Cyclops and Wolverine and the fact that she was the host of the Phoenix Force.  If Jean Grey does come back, I hope that the writers would do more with her, like have her star in her own miniseries and stay away from the X-Men for a few years so that way her character would develop.

#27 Posted by Mercy_ (92085 posts) - - Show Bio

@Duchess said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

I respect her importance to the mythology of the X-Men (particularly her role in the Dark Phoenix Saga and Grant Morrison's New X-Men), but as a character I rather dislike her. Her love triangle with Cyclops and Wolverine only has a few notable moments of purpose, and Morrison wrote it perfectly when she said to Scott that all she ever did was die on him (the only thing she has ever really done to help his character grow was die). Really, her greatest accomplishments as a character were in death.

Jean always came across as either completely uninteresting, save for her connection to the Phoenix, or was outshone by stronger and more intriguing X-Women like Emma Frost or Storm. She was defined by her relationship with Cyclops (and vice versa) for so long, and I was glad to see that end.

Love

I'll co-sign that.

#28 Posted by _Zombie_ (10226 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

@Duchess said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Love

I'll co-sign that.

Seconded.

#29 Posted by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Duchess said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Love

I'll co-sign that.

Seconded.

^These people have the right idea.

#31 Posted by TAneT62 (1054 posts) - - Show Bio

What a pathetic thread. Adios.

#32 Posted by Yasiiii4 (149 posts) - - Show Bio

For all the people that hate Jean Grey.....it's ok, cause she hates you too

#33 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4637 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yasiiii4: It's impossible to hate someone when you're worm food.
#34 Posted by Yasiiii4 (149 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

@Yasiiii4: It's impossible to hate someone when you're worm food.

good one

#35 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

All the examples I read are basically post 90's. The reasons I truly appreciate Jean's character stems from the early X-Men and the Dark Phoenix Saga. Yeah, I know that was retconed not to be Grey, but I can't help it that Marvel is stupid.

Not only did she sacrifice herself to save the X-Men when she became the Phoenix, but she ended her own life when her power became too overwhelming. They should have kept her dead back then, that is the only thing I dislike about Jean's story. Otherwise, she is a great character. Marvel's poor judgement about establishing connections between Jean, Maddie, and Phoenix could also be noted.

#36 Edited by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

@PurpleFeather738 said:

I know she may be useful most of the time but I just absolutely hate her in general! Everything she does really bugs me.... So can someone please tell me that she is not that annoying and stupid and is a valued X-Man or tell me why you really hate her. I need some moral support here...

If u really hate her then why is the forum of jean grey so popular?????

@ChaosAgent: @ZombieBigfoot: @TDK_1997:@Mercy_:

shes probably floating around in space and saving other universes
AVX 12
#37 Posted by SoA (4592 posts) - - Show Bio

i used to hate jean grey then i was exposed to emma frost all my jean hate went to her

#38 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2467 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

i used to hate jean grey then i was exposed to emma frost all my jean hate went to her

lol i dont like emma frost either because shes in a losing relationship with scott......but i would feel sad if she died in avx 12

#39 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the X-men almost all of them Jean included. I'm an equal opportunity hater.

#40 Posted by Raiiyn (3288 posts) - - Show Bio

**jumps up and down with hand raised** ooo ME! ME! ME! Ever since the first issue of x-men -_-

(I do like her as Phoenix though...)

#41 Posted by SoA (4592 posts) - - Show Bio

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE: i stopped reading AvX after the reveal of the phoenix 5 , that added to the marvel relaunch/reboot/do over, im trying to distance my self from marvel if not drop it all together

#42 Posted by Iamlovewithin500 (1028 posts) - - Show Bio
@Crom-Cruach said:

I hate the X-men almost all of them Jean included. I'm an equal opportunity hater.

Mutant hating racist!
#43 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1213 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Funny now storm is a joke she's so badly portrayed and all emma seem's to be is scott's arm candy with a wise crack and the X-mens obligatorily use of gratuitous tits and ass. nice to know marvel can keep some thing the same over the years with there female leads. Now all we need is storm to die herself to save the X-men as it looks like it's emma turn to in AvX 11 & 12

Oh IMO storm nor emma ever held a candle to jean,

#44 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Iamlovewithin500 said:

Mutant hating racist!

lol.

#45 Posted by ladymastermind (96 posts) - - Show Bio

kinda wish marvel would make up its mind if they want her dead or alive. I mean, she died as pheonix, no wait, shes still alive, no, dead again. I personally think that Jean was never really interested in Scott in the first place, she was always flirting too much with Wolverine.

#46 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel just needs to give her a proper writer. Bendis seems pretty excited about writing Jean Grey. I hope he does good things with her.

#47 Posted by Mr Marvel82 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@Thorion88 said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Duchess said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Love

I'll co-sign that.

Seconded.

You guys do realize that Emma has become all of the things that you claim to hate Jean for right?!

(Scott x Emma x Namor = love triangle) And now (thanks to AvsX) Emma has just as many ties to the Phoenix as Jean does.

I have a hard time agreeing this this statement in that by the time Emma became one of the X-men, Jean was being written wonderfully by Grant Morrison. And Storm, I would say, was as equally intriguing as Jean was throughout their overlapping times in X-men history. Both were shown to be leaders (eg. Jean in Revolution, Storm with the Gold Team and X-treme.) Both were easily duped by villains (Storm by the Shadow King in that arc that killed Psylocke, and Jean by Mr Sinister numerous times) Yet both were shown to have great potential (Jean separated Apocalypse from Cyclops in Search for Cyclops, Storm winning against the Brood way back in the day)

I loved how in New X-men Jean was assuming the role of a Mutant-Rights Spokeswoman. I hope when she returns, she can continue in that role.

#48 Posted by Madame_Mist (1325 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mr Marvel82 said:

@Thorion88 said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@Mercy_ said:

@Duchess said:

@ApatheticAvenger said:

Love

I'll co-sign that.

Seconded.

You guys do realize that Emma has become all of the things that you claim to hate Jean for right?!

(Scott x Emma x Namor = love triangle) And now (thanks to AvsX) Emma has just as many ties to the Phoenix as Jean does.

I have a hard time agreeing this this statement in that by the time Emma became one of the X-men, Jean was being written wonderfully by Grant Morrison. And Storm, I would say, was as equally intriguing as Jean was throughout their overlapping times in X-men history. Both were shown to be leaders (eg. Jean in Revolution, Storm with the Gold Team and X-treme.) Both were easily duped by villains (Storm by the Shadow King in that arc that killed Psylocke, and Jean by Mr Sinister numerous times) Yet both were shown to have great potential (Jean separated Apocalypse from Cyclops in Search for Cyclops, Storm winning against the Brood way back in the day)

I loved how in New X-men Jean was assuming the role of a Mutant-Rights Spokeswoman. I hope when she returns, she can continue in that role.

I see your point.

#50 Posted by Mr Marvel82 (110 posts) - - Show Bio

@ApatheticAvenger said:

The love triangle between Cyclops, Emma, and Namor is nowhere near as obnoxious as the one with Wolverine (and this coming from a guy who loathes the fish stick). At least Namor and Emma have a past, and Emma is known for her seductive and "Ice Queen" nature. Jean's relationship with Wolverine always came across as him being an obsessive creeper.

I loved that Morrison had Jean make out with Wolverine, only for her to later be enraged at Scott's telepathic affair with Emma. Really Ms. Grey? You're physically pursuing the Canadian hobbit and yet you are angered that your husband is having thought sex with his therapist? It was just brilliant, I love that Scottish madman. :P

I'm not even a big Storm fan, but she is MUCH more interesting than Jean. Storm was the first female comic character to lead a superhero team, rivaling Cyclops as the authority of the X-Men in the field, was strong and wise, and looked sweet with a mohawk. ;)

Overall, the issues you raised about Emma becoming what we stated to hate in Jean are very recent developments. Through most of her history with the X-Men (particularly Morrison and Whedon's genius runs, where she shined brightest) this wasn't the case at all. She was so unlike Jean as both co-leader of the X-Men and as a lover to Cyclops that it was a breath of fresh air. I'll always prefer her over Jean.

What makes Cyclops x Jean x Logan so annoying other than the fact that it's been done over and over? (I mean across Universes, and Cartoon and Film media.)

Logan had the hots for Jean and respect for both she and Cyclops. Jean was attracted to Logan on a physical level, and loved him as a teammate, but was in a committed relationship with Scott. So she denied herself a physical relationship with him. When Grant Morrison wrote their quick "makeout" scene it was in context. Jean hadn't gotten any of Scott's luvin for quite some time. She was horny and under the stress of the massacre in Genosha, a new very powerful enemy (Cassandra Nova,) and a husband who had been distant as of late. So she made a move on him. This showed that even though she was growing into her Phoenix potential, she was still human, and flawed. Again, beautifully written.

As far as Jean's anger of Scott and Emma's "therapy." She had a right to be angry. Since when was Emma Frost anybody's legitimate therapist? lol (Ok, maybe there was that one time with Iceman) It was bad enough that Scott didn't try to work out the problems in their marriage, but to carry on with someone that Jean had such an awful history with?? Come on.

But look, I don't want this to turn into a Jean vs Emma vs Storm issue. That's been done before and never ends well. I think Jean is a great character. I like Emma and Storm as well. But mohawk Storm?? Really? lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.