Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8003 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Somebody help me understand... (Marvel NOW)

VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By VZA

"This isn't a reboot." "It's like Pleasantville."

First, I've never seen Pleasantville so this might explain my confusion.

What I'm picturing based on descriptions is Jean (from the original X-Men team) in a Butterfly Effect-like moment gets a glimpse into the future (errr... NOW) and is dissatisfied with the way things turn out thus changing her actions and the course of events throughout the Marvel U. Yes? Wouldn't this create another timeline?

If it isn't the above then Jean zapping from that time into the present wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. That would mean that the Jean of the past was never there to experience all of the things from the past unless they use one of those "clever" clone stories to patch it up or better yet... a Jean from another alternate universe came in just as the real Jean beamed to the future.

Perhaps something else altogether? Please, comic community... I beg that you help me to comprehend this... this... ((HEAD EXPLODES))

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

The funny thing is...the Pleasantville comparison makes me understand what's going on in Marvel all the more now.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Crimsonlord53

Apparently "We are phoenix" means nothing to the house of ideas.

UltraBiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UltraBiel

I'm in team: "I Don't understand the hell you are going to do with the character Marvel."

And when I undestand I hope my team is not: "Gosh! This is wrong in so many levels, Marvel you are dead to me!"

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#5  Edited By Teerack

Actually no... Jean and the rest of the original x-men from the past are coming to the present. End of explanation.

It's really that simple.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By fodigg

Am I misremembering pleaseantville? Didn't they get sucked into a 50s TV-land? How is this anything like that?

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@Teerack said:

Actually no... Jean and the rest of the original x-men from the past are coming to the present. End of explanation.

It's really that simple.

pshhh i wish time travel was that simple lol I think Teen Titans showed time travel pretty well when starfire went to the future so she couldn't encounter her future self because she no longer existed in the past

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oraclefyre

So she's like an alternate past Jean? Marvel's really sketchy on the details and not in a good way. A bit of clarification might help.

VZA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By VZA

@EnSabahNurX said:

@Teerack said:

It's really that simple.

pshhh i wish time travel was that simple lol I think Teen Titans showed time travel pretty well when starfire went to the future so she couldn't encounter her future self because she no longer existed in the past

Sources are saying that it's the 616 Jean but sources are also saying that this is not a reboot. You can't have your cake and eat it too... it has to be one or the other. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize if a person beams into the future then they can't be in the present. Therefore, this would spring an alternate universe (unless there's a Jean: The Lost Years which would damage the character tremendously). Anybody who can't get this simple concept clearly should not be writing for comics. What's really weird is that Marvel has gotten this right in the past so many times especially with the X-Men... there's Days of the Future Past, Age of Apocalypse, Cable and countless time hopping adventures, and Bishop. If you ask me this sounds like Days of the Future Past but only told from perspective of the future rather than the past. We should just call it Days of the Past Future.

My ultimate theory is that Marvel hasn't quite decided what to do with this story yet... they released this information prematurely in order to gauge fan reactions and they'll likely go in the direction that the majority decides. If enough people clamor for a reboot then they'll launch it... if too many people whine about jumping ship if there's a reboot then this is just another temporary story that takes place in an alternate universe. Or they could go the really cowardly route and have 616, Ultimate, and NOW run side by side and then decide which line to drop once the sales numbers come in.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By fodigg

@oraclefyre said:

So she's like an alternate past Jean? Marvel's really sketchy on the details and not in a good way. A bit of clarification might help.

All we know is that it's "our Jean, but from the past":

Bendis commented on Jean Grey's return to the Marvel U via time travel, explaining, "It’s the one thing X-Men fans have always asked for is: They want Jean Grey back. But they want Jean Grey. Not reincarnated Jean, or the ghost of Jean. Well, you’re getting Jean back. And Jean is gonna be looking at a world that rattles her." (src)

Of "All-New X-Men," Bendis explained, "It's not a time-travel story like 'Back To The Future.' It's a time-travel story like 'Pleasantville,'" adding "Here's the big question that they original X-Men are gonna be faced with: 'We're gonna grow up, and this is what we're going to get? That is not acceptable.'" (src)

I still hate that Pleasantville reference because it doesn't make sense. In that film, the main characters enter an alternate universe of a TV show from the 50s. So if anything they go back in time.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By XsPectre28

whack..... so we get jean grey back.... but just like Warren after Dark Angel Saga we get a blank slate of a character..... this jean has no character development & just a all new jean will come into play & will have to start from scratch...... sorry not impressed or convinced..... they are taking the easy way out

Avatar image for iamlovewithin500
    Iamlovewithin500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Iamlovewithin500
    @XsPectre28 said:

whack..... so we get jean grey back.... but just like Warren after Dark Angel Saga we get a blank slate of a character..... this jean has no character development & just a all new jean will come into play & will have to start from scratch...... sorry not impressed or convinced..... they are taking the easy way out

Well they've butchered her character so much,that seems lazy,but It is a bit easier to give her fresh start.
    EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@XsPectre28 said:

She's 17, she's not like warren because they already developed her character in all those first class and flashbacks last year. It's still jean just a less convoluted less confusing character

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Crimsonlord53

@XsPectre28 said:

Agreed 17 year old jean is a cop out there was a lot of history for the 616 jean all marvel had to do was tie up some lose ends and we could have had an older and wiser more mature jean back. Now we get O5 jean who is going to be overwhelmed by

1 she's dead/ascended to the white hot room.

2 scott's a complete a** who is not the young man she thought she knew.

3 Magneto is an X-men.

4 Prof X is not leading/advising the team.

5 The jean grey school.

To be honest I don't care what an O5 jean thinks of these things I do want to know what a reborn/renewed jean would think of the current marvel universe.

Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Redberry

I feel like Marvel is trying to copy the reboot from DC. It's just a different way to present that. At least, DC has the gut to go all the way. I used to like Marvel a lot, but now I'm starting to lose faith in the branch. If they want to do a reboot then do it all the way, not just half-ass it. If they don't want to change their history then don't do stuffs like that to their characters in the first place.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.