Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8003 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Off My Mind: Why It's Time For Jean Grey's Return

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i'm pretty sure they'll bring her back, and i'll bet my bottom dollar it has something to do with Hope

TheShame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 21

#52  Edited By TheShame
    @uroboros: Yeah, it could be a good story, but how long would it last? Steve rogers tried to deal with not being captain america after he came back from the dead, but he eventually returned to the role and bucky might have been killed.  So unless writers have planned to kill Hope, i don't see how writers could make use of Jean at the moment
    Bobby_Rico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Bobby_Rico

They need to bring Jean back...with an asterix.  
    If they can't figure out a way to evolve Jean's character in some way, then no, she really shouldn't come back.  However, if they can do something more with her than have her simply be Phoenix' host, and actually make her interesting, then I'm all for it.  I've never been a huge Jean Grey fan, but I do think she is an integral part of the X-Men and needs to be given her proper respect as such.

xerogod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By xerogod

stay dead, or bring back the jean we love NOT phoenix, or phoenix force, that character is to dramatic and is very boring
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By Sobe Cin

I good with Jean coming back, it would be good storytelling, especially with the ramifications with Scott's still present feelings for her.
    Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By Cafeterialoca

NO!
    Let another female rise in popularity!

Chibi-Iroh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Chibi-Iroh
    @IcePrince_X said:
    When... Jean comes back she will do the unthinkable... she will undo Scarlet Witch's curse... that would be something.
    That would be epic on so many levels. I think that the Pheonix Force could do it.
    StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#58  Edited By StarKiller809

Jean Grey has been one of my favorite X-Men. I like her powers and I think that she is often used in the right story plots. I really just wish that she would be in the X-Men now.
    Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

IT BE NICE TO SEE THE PHOENIX RISE AGAIN HOPEFULLY SHE STAYS LONGER AND I SECRETLY HOPE FOR A CATFIGHT BETWEEN HER AND EMMA FROST AND I KNOW I'M NOT ALONE ON THAT PART

Elenatintil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Elenatintil

Didn't Jean make it pretty clear that she would be coming back eventually in "Phoenix: Endsong"?  

I'm not opposed to her coming back, per se, but obviously it has to be done right. (Trying to put her back with Cyclops, after the events of Endsong and everything Scott and Emma have gone through since then, would just be crappy writing).  

I can see her playing a role in restoring mutant powers (especially if somehow she and Hope could work together -- perhaps she mentors Hope, or Hope's youth somehow helps Jean conquor the Dark Phoenix once and for all). But wouldn't it be fascinating if such a move cost her her OWN powers (or at least the magnitude of them)?  

Otherwise I do love the suggestions some of you have been making about her leaving the X-Men either for Deep Space or to join the Avengers (or such). 

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#61  Edited By Timandm

Bringing back characters from the dead doesn't just  make comic book deaths cheap, it makes them pointless...COMPLETELY pointless.  So a character dies, who cares?  They'll be back back soon and their death will make room for interesting changes.

The Human Torch died recently... Who cares... He'll be back.  Even if Marvel says he won't be back, he WILL...  They ALL come back.  It's almost a requirement now for a character to have died AT LEAST ONCE to be an X-Man.
     The following video says it rather well:
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/218160

Look at a list of X-Men who have died an come back at least once:

Jean Grey, Scott Summers, Wolverine, Angel, Colossus, Psylocke, Cypher, Magneto, Strong-guy, Mirage, Karma, Cannonball, Sunspot, Wolf-bane, Magma....... There are more.

The X-Men aren't alone in this trend.

Superman, Batman, Jason Todd, Captain America, Captain Mar-Vell, The Thing, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Man, Thor, Odin, Hawkeye....... I'm sure there are more.

Now, let's look at a list of significant characters who have died and STAYED dead.

Uncle Ben...

That's about it... Uncle Ben is in a list by himself.  Oh sure, The Human Torch and Banshee are dead and haven't come back.... YET... but they've not been gone that long.

Coming back from the dead isn't supposed to be a 'right' or privilege that people stand in line for.  Do people imagine dead comic book heroes standing around in limbo shouting, "Hey!  It's MY turn to come back from the dead!  I've waiting long enough!"

When coming back from the dead because as easy as getting out of bed for these characters, then there's no real danger when they face supposedly 'deadly' situations.  So then, who really cares if they die.  And if there's no fear or worry about them dying, then there's less tension in the story overall.  For those that continue to come back, death is no longer a sacrifice; it's merely an inconvenience.  The entirety of the comic book universe becomes more and more of a joke each time a character is brought back to life...

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Timandm
    @The Devil Tiger said:
    @norusdog said:
    yes let's support the trite notion of character deaths not meaning anything.  no, she shouldn't return. no "dead" hero should.
    This. By the way, Jean death will become a running gag.
    Um... Jean's death IS a running gag... It has been for years.  Check out this video:
     http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/218160
    cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#63  Edited By cobra88king8

The way she was presented in X-Force last issue got me thinking that maybe that Jean is actually the real Jean (Just a thought). Her appearance in X-Force and Age of Iron makes me think that they want to bring her back so they probably will. Either in one of those 2 story-lines, or in another one altogether 

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree! I love this idea but I think she needs to stay away from Scott and to a certain extent, stay away from the X-Men with the exceptions of long-time allies like Wolverine, Storm, Polaris, Angel and Beast. She should be the first mutant to be represented on the cosmic scale, and I'd love to see her explore what Phoenix Work means without being burdened by human relationship drama dragging her into mundane emotional details. This character can grow, but she needs to stay away from Scott and Emma, letting them have their relationship without interference.

I particularly like the ending of "X Men: The End" when she brings many of the X-Men to a new level of existence. The implication is that mutants are always evolving, and some may get to a Phoenix level of power. This was hinted at in earlier X-Men arcs, where brainwashing and the effects of aging were counteracted by the use of their mutant powers.  

I would love to see a mini-series or a set of stories in which she engaged in Classic Dr. Strange-level feats, but juggling her cosmic awareness with a neo-human perspective. I don't even think she should have a physical body to "kill" at this point.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#65  Edited By sora_thekey

I agree that Jean Grey should come back, but I don't think it's time. Scarlet Witch is coming back, Schism is happening and Hope is covering the powerhouse/Phoenix Force section of the team now.

I do think that Jean needs to be brought back so that she can grieve for Nightcrawler and give an opinion on Hope and Gen. Hope.

@xerox-kitty said:

After all:

- Who is slap bang in the centre of the cover to the final issue of Uncanny X-Men (volume 1)?
    - Why have we only seen a cover for Wolverine & The X-Men, but not Uncanny X-Men (volume 2) #1?

What cover?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#66  Edited By daredevil21134

Jean needs to  come back........but keep her away from Scott

Rhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Rhi

I just need Jean freaking Grey to stay DEAD. That is all.

Baal1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Baal1986

I'm actually impressed that it has taken so long for Jean to return. Lesser characters have returned in spades in the last few years, some of them with lousy explanations or not explained at all (Hawkeye and Mockingbird for example) and while I understand the intention of making this story right, keeping a character whose powers include "coming back from the dead" death is just stupid.

treysome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By treysome

Morrison made me a fan then he took her away.  Maybe Morrison should write her return arc it's definitely time and it would sell guarantee.  Look at all the fans/non fans who show up every time her name/image pops up, Marvel knows this and it means $$

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I'm sure she'll come back.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    AlwaysBeClothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#71  Edited By AlwaysBeClothing

I'm more shocked that Batman was dead for two years! Was it really that long?

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Chris2KLee

I guess? I'm not really up on my X-Men, but for some reason I just don't see the benefit of having her back. Having her side with Wolverine seems like it could make for a few good stories, but I feel that particular love triangle has been played out.

Avatar image for therealjeangrey
    TheRealJeanGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TheRealJeanGrey

I think Jean should absolutely some back... I've been so waiting for her to come back!!!
    miki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#74  Edited By miki

I LIKE JEAN. I HOPE SHE IS COMING BACK1

coslopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By coslopis

Finally someone comes to there senses of giving her a come back, then they should have her and Emma get in a cat fight........ Just saying :)

KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By KDarkholme

Please bring her back. It's a long time coming.
    Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By Chesapeake

Let her rest in peace. I like what Emma brings to X-Men. Jean is way to nice for this time.
    MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#78  Edited By MrMazz

Why is it time to bring back Jean Grey? So we can kill her again

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#79  Edited By pixelized
    @obscurefan said:

Personally I think if Jean Grey came back one more time then she would just be a joke, the only way that she'll retain some dignity as a character is to just stay dead in my opinion.

Well I mean, she's codenamed Phoenix as well as carrying the entity, makes sense for her to return at some point
    Avatar image for fenixrevolution
    fenixREVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By fenixREVOLUTION

I want to see her come back, but I want her to stick around this time.

MrUnknown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#81  Edited By MrUnknown

This is probably my least favorite article.

Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#82  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

either die and stay dead or be alive! She's has come back over 8 times, let it STOP!

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sora_thekey: Why does she need to come back to grieve for Nightcrawler? By the time she returns, he might be alive again!
    BenReilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By BenReilly

No. No, it's not, actually. Her story has been as repetitive as it gets for decades. It was was dead, yet they kept beating it and beating and beating it to dust. Yet, her absence is tragic, meaningful, and more powerful.  What it's time for is to have at least TWO Marvel characters stay dead (If they bring Uncle Ben back, Lee will have to use his mastered nunchaku skillz to kick some serious ass - and let's face it, Storm will unfortunately return shortly.).

crj25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By crj25

I agree that she should return but i think they need to take the character in a completely different direction then what she's used to. With jean I always felt like the writers treated her as a set of powers rather then a person and every time she was included or a storyline was about her it was about how powerful she was. She's a wonderful character with so many options for deep storytelling that get ignored. I think she should come back de-powered, stay single, also her meeting Wolverine's current girlfriend Melita would be a really interesting story. Also I think there are a lot of possibilities for interesting storytelling with her and Hope, I think Hope should become the new avatar for the Phoenix and then there can be a story about Jean having her role usurped, eventually I think she should get some form of powers back, my vote would be just to get pyrokinesis so she could still be formidable but it would close the door to writers making her more and more powerful until they have nothing left to do with her but kill her off. 

hellogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By hellogan

I've been an Uncanny X-men reader for years an over the last 5 to 10 I have lost intrest I have to admit... I don't know what this story line needs to gain my intrest again? I'm curious what the end of the Uncanny will bring. Jean, was never one of my favorites. Although, her role was a strong one and so was her marriage to Scott. Ultimately, I believe bringing Jean back to a strong predomenant role in an X-group that is made up of a little over a handfull of key X-men would be good. However, I don't believe spinning her back into some kind of love double triangle will be much more interesting. Scott moved on.... Jean always had more will power. She should be cold hearted to all of them an move on as well.  
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I wouldn't mind a return of Jean Grey but for God sakes leave the uberpowerful Phoenix Force in the heap, the Marvel Universe is full of powerful beings that only end up being push overs in most stories  (see just about anything with Galactus in it recently) Jean returning to be normal Jean Grey or at least slightly altered, but leave the Phoenix out of it, or at least have it broken up, because doesn't Rachael and Emma both have a piece of the Phoenix force?

xmanaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By xmanaker

I'm with you 100% G-Man!   *cries out*  "Jean!!!!!   Come back!!!!!" 
    I'm SO excited about this...I will be SO let down if she doesn't finally come back!  She's SUCH a phenominal character!
    Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By Bestostero

Jean coming back would be awesome.

Nuec_Sol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Nuec_Sol

I agree 100% 

People don't realize that an adventure story where death is meaningless has no meaning itself. 

It was Marvel and DC doing all these cheap deaths that pushed me towards more independant comics where death means something. Actually all the comic deaths had the most impact on me as a fan were are not from Marvel and DC. Don't get me wrong Jean, Cable, and Nightcrawler deaths had an effect but I not convinced that they are really dead.

BenReilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By BenReilly

No. No, it's not, actually. Her story has been as repetitive as it gets for decades. It was was dead, yet they kept beating it and beating and beating it to dust. As character concept, along with her background, she was interesting. Actually reading her in the comics, frankly, had gotten extremely dull, overall. Sure, there were a few peaks here and there, but on average, pretty boring stuff. Yet, her absence is tragic, meaningful, and more powerful.  What it's time for is to have at least TWO Marvel characters stay dead (If they bring Uncle Ben back, Lee will have to use his mastered nunchaku skillz to kick some serious ass - and let's face it, Storm will unfortunately return shortly.).

BenReilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By BenReilly

Oops, I didn't mean to post that first time. So, sorry about doubling up, there.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#93  Edited By cosmo111687

If she comes back, its pretty much inevitable that she will die again. And if she does, I hope she takes all the mutants with her, only to resurrect again with a massive reboot. X-Men is getting way too tiresome... 

Also, she simply can't end up dating anyone - Wolverine or Cyclops. Her affections are for Cyclops, but Cyclops is with Emma now and her responsibility to the cosmos as the Phoenix far outweighs her feelings for Scott. And Wolverine can never have true love, either. It's one of the tragedies of his character. 

Anyways, there are so many characters in X-Men who are in desperate need of rejuvenation beside Jean. I mean, what about Nightcrawler (who I'm betting will be saved by Amanda Sefton), Kitty Pryde, and Jubilee?

xmenboi11z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By xmenboi11z

Bring Jean back along with the life of nightcrawler, then let her lose her phoenix force, and then let her be a single lady(; plus, her and storm need to talk anyways so, original Phoenix please. But writers do have things planned and written years in advance so we never know?

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By leokearon

Don't bring her back, it will just led to that stupid Phoenix force returning and then Jean will go Dark Phoenix and die again.
    HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By HexThis

Some people are uptight about resurrections, it's true, but usually their feelings are pretty arbitrary on the subject. For example, nobody batted a lash when Bucky came back even though it was completely ridiculous. 

I think Jean must return and by Jean I mean Jean and not the Phoenix Force which gives her a life of constant torment. I just want to see her fleshed out, I want her to come back a little more cynical, I want her to use her fists a bit more, and most of all I don't want Scott or Logan to take ownership of her. If she gets romantically involved I think it should be with someone who brings out her edgier side like Namor or something. 

But I don't know, Marvel seems to be having a fun time just exploiting her likeness a la Mutant Zero, Hope, Jackpot...they have this trend of waving mysterious gingers before us. Also, EVERY goddamn crossover eludes to her return in some way. I've majorly cut down my spending on comics because of this attitude, misleads are the norm but redundant ones? It just ain't right.

hawkgirl96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By hawkgirl96

i say just jean return not the phoenix and find her self then get with scott
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Seems to me its jut a vicious cycle of death and return and ludicrously powerful Phoenix Force.  If that's the usual pattern its too repetitive.  Either start having Jean go in a new direction when she is written or just keep her dead.  

Ulviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Ulviar

If Jean is resurrected, there should be no any Phoenix. All those Endsong, Warsong, Blah-blah-blah-song, etc. are so boring. It's okay if Jean comes back, but Phoenix should never return.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#100  Edited By Darkmount1

Bring her back, but sever her ties to the Phoenix Force. I've had enough of that being constantly used as a plot device. Have her become second-in-command of Logan's team, or join the FF, or something, something constructive with her. I don't know which forum or blog I put this, but I wrote a version of her return if it was written by one of SNL's writers: 

(Open in the courtyard of Utopia. A big, bright portal to the White Hot Room opens up, and Jean is literally kicked out by an aura shaped like a wingtip shoe.) 
    Jean: Hey! What gives? 
    (The Phoenix, dressed like Bill Lumberg from Office Space, then pokes its head and wing (holding a coffee mug that says "Ash-Man", I'm sure you'll get the Seinfeld reference) out from the portal.) 
    Phoenix Force: Yeah, Jean, this whole relationship has been getting a bit old, what with you constantly dying and returning courtesey of the Force, so the board and I have been talking, and we've decided that it was time for you to move on. And you'll be stripped of whatever Phoenix force you have left in you, sorry, it's company policy. 
    Jean: Wait, are you trying to say "I'm fired"?  This wasn't even a paying job! 
    Phoenix Force: Yeah, so, if you can just stay here, live your life, be with friends and family, that'd be greeeaaat.  Chiao! (Promptly closes portal.) 
    Jean: Great, six years of my life, gone. Ah well, wonder what's new? (Does a quick mind scan to get herself up-to-date, then turns around to a surprised and stunned group of X-Men who have just arrived on the scene. She then gets a shocked look on her face as soon as she sees Scott, Logan, and Emma.) 
    Jean: SCOTT!!!!! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!?!!?!?!??!?!?!?!? 
    Iceman, whispering into Rogue's ear: Oh boy. Who's gonna be the one to tell her that the toilet's backed up and that Logan cheats at cards???????

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.