Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8003 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Off My Mind: Should Comic Characters Be Sad Over Deaths?

• 110 results
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@AgeofHurricane: oh yeah...i keep getting confused between the two...and laurie's arm was deformed from another mutant

i miss sofia.......i hope she gets her powers back

I hope Sofia come's back too.

abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By abeyance

I'm sorry it's hard to get sad over characters dying when most likely they will be resurrected or brought back in some manner, especially if they are popular like Captain America, Superman, Superboy (dumbest resurrection ever), Spiderman, Gwen Stacy (revived as a clone), Johnny Storm, Jean Grey (Multiple Times), and other characters. Death in comics has been cheapened and most of them are rendered pointless once the character is revived.

Avatar image for thedarkestnight
    TheDarkestNight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103  Edited By TheDarkestNight

I really like what Black Widow said on SA #15 about this topic

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well yeah thats kind of true but if all the poeple who died stayed dead then a lot of the problems "villans" would not be here there fore no story line ;[ (imo) also i dont want my favorite character dead D:

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conformist21: yeah we know that they will come back but the x-men don't haha wouldnt you be sad if a loved one died because you would think "waah they arent coming back." although there are people like doctor strange and other soccerers sorry if misspelled.

hotpocket53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By hotpocket53

@rouju said:

@rlmay3: Totally agree dude. I wish if major character died, it's for good and have a long lasting impact (Hell, even I'm Bruce Wayne biggest fan have some hope that Tim Drake / Wayne took the mantle for good)

Spiderman

Sharkbite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Sharkbite

This is chiefly an issue of the "Big Two", and largely has to do with changing of writers. When assignments like X-Men, Superman, Batman, etc, get passed around from desk to desk in order to get a fresh take, the new writers inevitably have other characters they want to work with who somebody else only saw value in killing.

When you get out of the realms of Marvel and DC, you start to come into more Creator Controlled titles. Then, since the writing stays on a single track, the deaths are able to be permanent. When somebody gets killed in Walking Dead, it's because Kirkman wants them dead. Sure, it could turn out that the Woodbury survivors were able to fend off the zombies after the prison was overrun, and that they patched up Lori and it turned out she hadn't been killed by the back-shot. But Kirkman won't do it. Why? Because if he wanted Lori and Rick to be together, he wouldn't have killed her in the first place.

IDW's run of GIJoe has been sensational, killing off some of the big names that I remember from my youth. Starting at the top, you've got the death of Cobra friggin' Commander. Even with all the science and cloning and weird Serpentor religion stuff, they just say "Stuff it" and leave him dead, with somebody else taking over Cobra after he's gone. But on top of that, we see the death of Chuckles, Breaker, Barbecue, Jinx, and Xamot (half of the Crimson Twins). And none of them are coming back either. In GIJoe, when you're dead you're dead.

It's easy to get frustrated watching how Spiderman, Batman, and Superman have characters in their comics pop back to life whenever some writer feels like, whether or not it makes sense. But not all comics are that way. When Huey kicked A-Train's head off in The Boys, you knew A-Train absolutely was not coming back. It just takes a writer with a clear vision of where they're going in the future.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xerox_kitty said:

It's ridiculous for Cyclops to mourn the loss of a couple of mutants he hardly knew... It lessens the impact of his mourning for those he genuinely did know like Nightcrawler & Cable. But overall, characters should mourn. It makes it more realistic. If death isn't going to be addressed as a realistic issue that people have to cope with, then death shouldn't be in comics. But comics have long since evolved passed the stage where everything serious has to be sugar coated. If kids can watch Disney villains meet grisly deaths, then they can read characters mourning in comics.

did cyclops even cry when jean grey died the second time no he was making out with emma frost at jean's gravesite----how disgusting and disrespectful

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#109  Edited By arnoldoaad

pretty much all i need to say about it i already said it here

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/arnoldoaad/death-in-comics-why-doesnt-it-matter-and-why-it-should/87-86535/

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AgeofHurricane: @oviouslyjeangrey:

i hope teen jean grey fights back at the avengers in all-new x-men 8

i think it would go like this:

Captain America: Ok you punk kids, stay out of trouble or else

Teen Jean: Or else what???

Hawkeye: Or else you'll go to jail.

i dont want to sound bad but what will happen when teen jean finds out about her dead family????she'll take it bad at first but after i think she'll use it as an excuse to later join "evil" cyclops team (after the age of ultron) so she can help scott take down the red skull before the uncanny avengers take the red skull down. cyclops will prove hes a hero again and will stop being "evil" after all if people could make norman osborn look like a hero ie secret invasion and dark reign

it will go like this lol....

after scott takes down the red skull with jean grey's help

Captain america: You've been warned jean grey and now your going to jail.

Jean grey: You know i only wanted to help scott so he wouldnt become a full fledge MAGNETO!!! and besides you cant under arrest a DEAD person anyways.....So DONT threaten me because you'll be sorry....

Jean Grey: oh and by the way captain, have you meet my family??? No you havent because there dead and there not coming back and super heroes like you should have saved them.....(.the only thing i have left of my family is ashes ....)

jean grey pulls out some ashes from her pockets and throws it at Captain America feet

Jean Grey: say hi to them for me

end scene

oh the ashes were from jean grey house but its unsure if they were her families ashes

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By PowerHerc

Yes.

Sadness humanizes them.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.