Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 7984 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Off My Mind: How Much Does Young Jean Grey Know of Her Future?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

ALL-NEW X-MEN has been a great ride so far. We've seen the original X-Men taken from the past and brought into their future, our present. It's been a tough ordeal for many of them in seeing how much has changed. In particular, Jean Grey has had a lot to deal with.

Back in issue #5, the current day Beast, who is responsible for bringing them forward, allowed Jean to enter his mind. He felt she needed to know what had happened and this let her see what her future will be.

No Caption Provided

When time travel is involved, there's always the question of how much of your future should you know. Knowing too much could obviously cause problems but those precautions have clearly been thrown out the door. It makes sense that the X-Men should know what has happened between their time and where they are now. We even saw the potential danger when young Cyclops ran off and encountered Mystique, not knowing what a threat she was to the X-Men.

In the current issue (which is reviewed HERE), there is an encounter with Havok and his Uncanny Avengers. There was some confusion and trepidation upon seeing Scarlet Witch on a team of Avengers since they only know her as part of Magneto's Brotherhood of Evil Mutants.

No Caption Provided

Jean decided to peer into Wanda's mind and was horrified to discover her role in the mutant decimation. Her reaction lead to her striking out and a little battle resulted.

No Caption Provided

What seems odd about all this is that Jean wasn't aware of this before. None of the young X-Men were. Again, it could be a matter of how much do they need to know but with Jean's powers developing earlier than they were supposed to, there's always the threat of them getting out of control. Also, how did she not pick up on this part of history when peering into Hank's mind?

It's possible when Hank shared his memories with Jean, the focus was just on her life. Because we're not telepaths, there's no telling how the mind would work on the psychic plane. When Jean entered Hank's mind, she may have only had access to the memories that involved her.

We have seen Jean struggle with the urge to simply read the minds of others. How could she not come across those of the worst moment in Mutant History? Hank was there during M-Day. He was on hand when the X-Men and Avengers met to discuss what to do with Wanda before the world was turned upside down and then she uttered those three devastating words.

No Caption Provided

The important thing is the young X-Men need to know what has happened (will happen for them) if they are to remain in the present. It's unclear how long their stay will last. We know there's an upcoming arc (Battle of the Atom) where another group of X-Men, from the current day's future, arrives to try to make it clear the young X-Men need to return to their time.

Battle of the Atom
    Battle of the Atom

But there has been so much that has happened in the X-Men and Marvel Universe. They need to brush up on the history/future in order to know who their allies are and who cannot be trusted.

One would think the X-Men would have detailed computer files describing everything that has happened. But with a telepath, it wouldn't be required that they sit and read all the data. They could easily have someone's recollection and knowledge shared with the others. It could be a problem with them knowing too much. But being in their present could already be causing problems and they need to know what has happened and who they can and cannot trust. It's surprising and irresponsible to think that Hank or Kitty haven't thought about giving the young X-Men a full history lesson on their future.

There's no point in hiding things from them if they're going to be here for a while. They've already discovered more than they should know. But for their safety and that of the X-Men, they need to know the facts.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
    SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

See if the past x-men stay in the present than Jean doesn't need to worry about any of this stuff happening to her because everything that she sees happening has already happened and in turn will not happen to her.

I'm a little over the whole getting pissed at stuff that happened to a different you that you now know about and then have the knowledge to make sure it doesn't happen again

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Speaking of knowing the future... I cam across this little scan (don't know from where):

No Caption Provided

See the young original X-Men in the top left corner... This is Julia Carpenter, I don't know from what issue though. I thought that was pretty cool.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By TommytheHitman

Wait... why are the young X-Men in the future anyway?

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

God, I hope Jean Grey tuns into a badass. Please Marvel! Just do it. Make her go HAM and show everyone she don't care!

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is it possible that Beast allowed Jean to see the memories with her in them, but not the ones about Scarlet Witch and M-day because when they 05 do go back to their time they would jus go kill/put down/capture the Scarlet Witch? (granted that is if they dont get mind wiped)

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

God, I hope Jean Grey tuns into a badass. Please Marvel! Just do it. Make her go HAM and show everyone she don't care!

Indeed. Also I personally want her to get back at Frost and the Cukoos for messing around with her at issue 10

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By leokearon

Yes because what we need is another Dark Phoenix story...

Also it doesn't matter if the young X-men know everything that will happen, because when they return

1. Their memories will be wiped

2. It will simply create an alternate timeline where their actions will have no effect on the mainstream Marvel universe

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

That Jean Gray going into Scarlet Witch's mind part seemed to get a little intense. Haven't read anything new, but do all the mutants know Scarlet Witch's secret now?

chasereis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By chasereis

I dont see how a telepath could read "only" thoughts pertaining to themselves at Young Jean's level of control. I imagine she downloaded the whole thing at once, but it would be all from beast perspective and memories of what beast read in report and such. He would not have direct memories of events he was not present for unless somehow he was having another telepath use his brain as some kind of external drive to store memories which would be ridiculous.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

Also it doesn't matter if the young X-men know everything that will happen, because when they return

2. It will simply create an alternate timeline where their actions will have no effect on the mainstream Marvel universe

That is why it would work. It doesn't have to influence anything at all. I just don't like how Jean is being treated like dirt, despite what she can do. Also Dark Phoenix is not Jean, it's the Phoenix. I don't want a crazy cosmic entity, I want a bad bitch who won't take shit from anyone. Get me XD?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Ugh How could the Avengers let Wanda's mind get read so easily?! I mean M-Day is the biggest secret in the super human community.

leokearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@leokearon said:

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

That is why it would work. It doesn't have to influence anything at all. I just don't like how Jean is being treated like dirt, despite what she can do. Also Dark Phoenix is not Jean, it's the Phoenix. I don't want a crazy cosmic entity, I want a bad bitch who won't take shit from anyone. Get me XD?

Which is why Marvel will turn a bad ass Jean into a Dark Phoenix knock-off (see: Malice and Dark Scarlet Witch.)

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By frogjitsu

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

@leokearon said:

@omgomgwtfwtf said:

Sounds like you want a female Samuel L. Jackson, lol.

Ah needs ta ketch up wi' mah X-mans.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogjitsu: I think it would be a cool idea. I mean we always hear how powerful Jean Grey is, but she always overshadowed by the Phoenix Force. I just want an issue where it's Jean Grey, not phoenix force, no power upgrade, but just her being tough. Also, I really just want to see her kick Emma's ass.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By frogjitsu

@omgomgwtfwtf: I hear, yah. Sounds awesome. No one wants a revisit of that old, worn, out Phoenix story. Marvel should just move on. It was good the first time, but each subsequent Phoenix story has been sub-par (for the most part).

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kriminal

@tommythehitman: cyclopes is leading a mutant revolution after killing professor x. so beast bringsl hte past men to try and talk to scott about twar with humans

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Now that Jean knows about her future and everything that will happen to her. Does this mean she can prevent her own death and will we soon see "our" Jean appear in the present in one way or another?

After the young x-men have returned to their timeline of course.

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ScarletBatman

@michiel76 said:

Now that Jean knows about her future and everything that will happen to her. Does this mean she can prevent her own death and will we soon see "our" Jean appear in the present in one way or another?

After the young x-men have returned to their timeline of course.

That depends on how time travel works now-a-days.

In the past, the point at which the young X-Men return to their time period would spark a new timeline (i.e. a New Universe). This new universe could be almost identical or radically different from the 616 continuity, depending on if the young X-Men retain their memories of the future.

However, Age of Ultron seems to be telling us that time is now completely linear in nature. So if you go back in time and kill Hitler, it doesn't create a new universe, rather the singular universe is irrevocably altered.

I think a lot of questions about the nature of time travel will be answered in Age of Ultron #10.

dcguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dcguy

In this consept young Cyclops interested me more, now he found his brother , What about his son ? What about his doughter ? What about his other brother ? That will be really interesting .

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@dcguy: Don't forget X-Man Nate Grey.

weenman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think it's time for DC and Marvel to merge permanently so we can get some fresh story lines. What happens when all the time traveling crap gets old?

morgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly Jean is pissing me off in this Arc what with her whole mind reading spree even though she has been warned repeatedly not to do it. I love when the Cuckoo Sisters put her in her place. What I don't understand is how she keeps reading minds that should have some high telepathic resistance. Like Scott, or Kitty or especially Wanda who was at one point so powerful not even a collection of the worlds most powerful telepaths could keep her sedated.

Avatar image for the_goddess_of_chaos
    The_Goddess_of_Chaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beast hugging jean in issue 12 .....lol

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ehhh i'd probably say she knows everything being around the staff at the school

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frogjitsu:

I definitely agree. I love the bond between Jean and the Phoenix but they should keep the cosmic and the earthbound stuff separate. I want her more like the 90's Jean again; still powerful but not so "Phoenix-ish" all the time. If she is needed to battle a few Thanos-level baddies then Phoenix up and get it done. Otherwise, I want her to be just Jean.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Oh there will be no doubt that over time, Young Jean will know just exactly has transpired over the years of the future; unfortunately her reaction to what Wanda did in leading to the Decimation deals with just how dangerous the idea of her knowing about the future can be.

frogjitsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gregalicious: Ooh, Phoenix/Jean as a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy would be cool. Give her some time to hang with someone other than the X-men for a while. Still, she is omega level. She doesn't really need the phoenix.

xDeMondWood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Issue 5 and the picture reveals that Hank only let her see the memories concerning her and her only thus she would not have known about M-Day unless she was probing through peoples mind and reached deep. Scarlet Witch so far has been the only one thinking about M-Day.

dcguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

claude_garmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By claude_garmon

I thought about it, and gave Bendiss a pass. Jean is a novice at telepathy, much less psychic investigation. And it wouldn't take too long looking at the life of Phoenix and her familiars to hit overload, after which it all washes over you and you're flying over the falls, in the air (you could write a book, and call it "x-books", and that's how bad her interesting times is). Jean at 15 might have been too confused by the sight of herself "dressed" as the Hellfire Club's Black Queen, much less Dark Phoenix snuffing out suns, to make it one more step without her looking glass falling from limp fingers. Heck, the run in with Jim Shooter, alone, might have left her myopic. And Defalco was no better -- speak his name and he appears. And this was before all the Phoenix rises-rinse-repeats kept arising like so much compulsory hand washing. (Freud asks, "And why did this "The Market" Phoenix "force" you to wash your hands ... this time?" funny you should mention "time", doc.) Anyhow, anyone with her future could be forgiven for not surrendering any me-horrified-now time to more deliberately investigate the happenings burning holes in her psyche. It's probably why the urge to read minds, to get any kind of better handle on all the unknown factors of (marvel) "now" is more like a compulsion with her.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Can't wait for the battle of the atom!

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

i could have sworn it was made clear that she only knows about HER future. that is what the dialogue lead me to believe. when she looked into hank's mind he was only showing her moments she lived and since she was dead before house of m happened she doesnt know about it

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@omgomgwtfwtf: you want to see jean grey badass? check out her time with the x-men gold team starting in uncanny x-men 281. there is the search for cyclops mini series and a bunch of x-factor stories as well. the 80s and 90s are the best place to see my girl shine at her best. also check out uncanny x-men 300 where she explains why she dont need no code name. you can read that speech here. http://pinterest.com/pin/327496204123394783/

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kidchipotle  Online

I had just assumed that when Jean read into Beat's mind she only saw her life, not what happens after she dies. Also, I hope regular Jean comes back from this.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c
    deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supremehyperion:

The whole thing is if they go back, then Charles will wipe their minds so it will still happen but, if they don't then I don't know what would happen.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By HexThis

Even if Jean only had her own life as a reference, it doesn't make sense to me that she would be horrified by Wanda's actions and yet hold Wanda to an entirely different standard than she does herself. Wanda decimated a race under the effects of the life force just as she destroyed a planet of people as Phoenix.

How much is Jean supposed to know? That needs to be resolved. If she knows she has Phoenix potential then I feel like that would awaken something in her because, after all, that was what the device the Hellfire Club used was meant to do. All they did was shine light on her past life.

Blankspot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#42  Edited By Blankspot

I am over jean grey period. Her character is always the victim. Emma is a better fit for Scott and she shows no remorse for her psychic abilities which is how I imagine a high level psychic would be where as jean grey is the twilight version of a psychic emo before there was emo. As to the whole past thing I reference league of losers marvel team up arc. All we will see is alternate reality again.

Avatar image for lordofallhumans
    LordOfAllHumans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis said:

Even if Jean only had her own life as a reference, it doesn't make sense to me that she would be horrified by Wanda's actions and yet hold Wanda to an entirely different standard than she does herself. Wanda decimated a race under the effects of the life force just as she destroyed a planet of people as Phoenix.

How much is Jean supposed to know? That needs to be resolved. If she knows she has Phoenix potential then I feel like that would awaken something in her because, after all, that was what the device the Hellfire Club used was meant to do. All they did was shine light on her past life.

The Phoenix that destroyed D'bari was a separate entity from the mutant Jean Grey. The Phoenix Forced used Jean as a template and committed acts in her name and a body that looked like her while a small piece of Jean was suppressed inside, it's completely different. She was then forced by the Phoenix to take the memories.

Although Jean is part of the Phoenix, the Phoenix Force has it's own agenda separate from Jean Grey (just look at Rachel and AVX). Jean is the Phoenix, but the Phoenix is not always Jean Grey.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.