Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8002 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

no...just...no

Powerzone789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Powerzone789

i don't get why people are making the generalization that she's coming back...since when has there been any official announcement that she's coming back. Although the cyclops/emma relationship makes me sick, i am certainly NOT looking forward to her returning if she is. Just because the phoenix force is coming back doesn't mean she will.....

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By xerox_kitty

Because it's inevitable that she will eventually come back. It doesn't matter that there's been several false-hints at her return over the last few years. People see this as a supposedly big event & therefore she might return. It's just what Marvel want... extra hype to boost sales of yet another cross-over event.

Ivyphoenix17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ivyphoenix17

it does not state that she is coming back, it is just some kind of theory from the people. But you cannot blame the people, including me, on thinking about Jean's possible comeback. Because, in the endsong, Jean stated that she is Phoenix and Phoenix is her and that they are one. Therefore, if the Phoenix is coming back, there is a possibility that she is coming back too. Or maybe, we will be seeing a reincarnated Jean but don't you worry, there is still no assurance of Jean's comeback, even though I want her to be back. We will just wait for the AvX to end to see if this "big" event will mark her return.

Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Morgaine_Levesque

This is what I've been saying for ages.

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By AgeofHurricane

"She will rise again", if that's not stating her inevitable return then i don't know what will.

LadyHarley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LadyHarley

It's Jean Grey. Need I say more?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cattlebattle

what else does "she will rise again" mean?....is the Phoenix Force a she?

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HBKTimHBK
    Am I missing something by this?

I personally am excited for her return, besides it is Jean Grey.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By kidchipotle

@HBKTimHBK said:

I personally am excited for her return.

If you look really hard inside the phoenix in that photo you can see this (sorry if its blurry, I have to digitally zoom and reimage it):

No Caption Provided
    BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By BatteredArmor

I want her back even less than you do but that doesn't change the fact that it's obvious and inevitable

Daycrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daycrawler

It would be funny if they did bring her back and then killed her again within the same event.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By InnerVenom123

@xerox_kitty said:

Because it's inevitable that she will eventually come back.

This. Her main theme and power is based on a creature that's famous for never staying dead, FFS.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Daycrawler said:

It would be funny if they did bring her back and then killed her again within the same event.

Ha! thank you sir I shall have a pleasant dream tonight

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HBKTimHBK

@ArturoCalaKayVee: XD

snyderman567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By snyderman567

Well cuz alot of people luv jean grey

Avatar image for morgaine_levesque
    Morgaine_Levesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HBKTimHBK said:

I personally am excited for her return, besides it is Jean Grey.

This clearly refers to the Phoenix Force and if you've read the solicits for AvX, you'd know that it's all that's mentioned. Not even so much as an allusion to Jean.

Notice how it says "It's Coming", not "She's Coming".

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I remember years ago on Marvel.com that it said that she'll be coming back, but they will be taking their time with bringing her back. Also with a character who can always return from the dead she'll be returning. Idk if it is soon, but it'll happen someday. I personally wouldn't want it now, but in 2-3 years sure.

Also may i add that Jean Grey is currently going around the universe collecting pieces of the phoenix force. So she should be coming for the one that Hope has sometime soon lol

Ivyphoenix17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Ivyphoenix17

I think the Phoenix force will always be a "she" because look, when the Phoenix force merged with the dead body of Colossus, in an alternate reality, she really took the form of a girl and take note, her appearance really resembles Jean on a metallic form, so, I think, the Phoenix force is really a girl because she is Jean. But i really think Jean will be coming back and it will be sooner or later. I think this is the reason why they made the stories of the x-men worse like dividing the x-men and the decimation thingy so they will have enough reason for bringing her back.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By XsPectre28

so many jean grey haters in the world. lollol truth is Jean is the chick but unfortunatly the writers cant make her more of a standout character without scott, logan or the phoenix force but im hoping that after the dust settles that jean is given her due as a character in her own right

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Belladonna

@Ivyphoenix17: It was explained to be a girl in a sense while her opposite was the First Fallen who was male.

windcaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By windcaster

If Jean and the  Phoenix force are truly one, then from a technical point of view she more or less would come back. That said, I won't her to return, but I doubt she will. At best we will probably see her as WPOTC . 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Hope= Phoenix. 

/thread.

Ivyphoenix17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ivyphoenix17

@Charmix: ah ok..... w8, the first fallen? are you referring to angel?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By fodigg

Here's the thing, people believe she's actually coming back because it's gotten to the point where hinting that she is and then not bringing her back is even more tired and cliche than actually bringing her back.

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By Belladonna

@Ivyphoenix17 said:

@Charmix: ah ok..... w8, the first fallen? are you referring to angel?

I can't explain, you'll have to read the Foresaken arc >.<

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
    TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

They need to bring her back and separate her from The Phoenix Force. Jean Grey deserves to have a descent run again. A real one without her dying.... Kill Emma this time. The Phoenix Force should get the hint that maybe Jean isn't the perfect host. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. The PF needs to find someone who's less vulnerable and finally turn the entire planet/galaxy to ash. Earth 616 needs to die... No reboot is necessary, there are plenty of other earths out there to choose from.

Ivyphoenix17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ivyphoenix17

@TheWholeDamnShow: im sorry to tell you but Jean is the perfect host for the phoenix. Killing her and then bringing her to life then kill and then bringing her to life again does not say that she is not the perfect host for the Phoenix. Remember, when Jean was brought back again (the one where she now wears a black uniform i forgot what comics that is), the x-men had a doubt that Jean cannot control the Phoenix but as you can see, she handled the Phoenix perfectly well. Her death at the hand of Xorn who was posing as Magneto means that the Phoenix needs to kill Jean because she needs Jean to be reincarnated in the future whenever the world needs her help again. The first death of the Phoenix, as you know, is not the real Jean but rather, the Phoenix who is posing as the real Jean Grey. They found the body of Jean under the Jamaica Bay by the fantastic four. So, the one that the Hellfire Club seduced is not Jean but rather the Phoenix that has out of control because of being attach to darkness. Maybe, her resurrection is in a wrong time that is why she was killed and then live and then killed so many times. Remember, in the Phoenix endsong, Jean said that she is not yet ready to be reincarnated. The problem here is not Jean being not a perfect vessel for the Phoenix because if she is not too perfect for the Phoenix why did she became the White Phoenix of the Crown? The problem here is the Marvel and their writings towards Jean. They're just fooling her around and making her and her resurrection just for fun. Did you get what I mean?

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
    TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

@Ivyphoenix17 said:

@TheWholeDamnShow: im sorry to tell you but Jean is the perfect host for the phoenix. Killing her and then bringing her to life then kill and then bringing her to life again does not say that she is not the perfect host for the Phoenix. Remember, when Jean was brought back again (the one where she now wears a black uniform i forgot what comics that is), the x-men had a doubt that Jean cannot control the Phoenix but as you can see, she handled the Phoenix perfectly well. Her death at the hand of Xorn who was posing as Magneto means that the Phoenix needs to kill Jean because she needs Jean to be reincarnated in the future whenever the world needs her help again. The first death of the Phoenix, as you know, is not the real Jean but rather, the Phoenix who is posing as the real Jean Grey. They found the body of Jean under the Jamaica Bay by the fantastic four. So, the one that the Hellfire Club seduced is not Jean but rather the Phoenix that has out of control because of being attach to darkness. Maybe, her resurrection is in a wrong time that is why she was killed and then live and then killed so many times. Remember, in the Phoenix endsong, Jean said that she is not yet ready to be reincarnated. The problem here is not Jean being not a perfect vessel for the Phoenix because if she is not too perfect for the Phoenix why did she became the White Phoenix of the Crown? The problem here is the Marvel and their writings towards Jean. They're just fooling her around and making her and her resurrection just for fun. Did you get what I mean?

I thought Jean went to the white room after Endsong to find the remaining Phoenix shards or something like that...? Anyways, it doesn't matter. Jean Grey needs to either stay dead forever or lose the Phoenix Force. She can't control it very well obviously...

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Wish this wasn't bleeding into Secret Avengers, could have avoided this altogether.

brucecapell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By brucecapell

@Powerzone789 said:

i don't get why people are making the generalization that she's coming back...since when has there been any official announcement that she's coming back. Although the cyclops/emma relationship makes me sick, i am certainly NOT looking forward to her returning if she is. Just because the phoenix force is coming back doesn't mean she will.....

Nothing wrong with speculating. She did merge with it the last time we saw her and the pieces that were in Rachel and the Cuckoos have return as well. Rachel even said "Mom?". They could just end it with an easy no she won't appear in this event. Obviously they want people guessing and wondering so they pick up the book.

X-Editors: You are correct that there has been no mention of Jean Grey leading up to AvX. Read into that however you would like. Can't say much more than that, I'm afraid.

Chevaliere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Chevaliere

Wait, I don't get it. Why do so many people hate Jean Grey?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By Mercy_

@LordHuntingrathII said:

Because she's a Mary Sue.

SecretKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By SecretKnight

I love Jean but she'll probably just die again for more sells.

sputnik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sputnik

@Morgaine_de_Bourbon: that just gave me chills! i'd really like to see come back though.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By The Devil Tiger

Sorry to kill the mood, but it's a Mainstream comic book : of course qhe will be back !

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GREGalicious

She's too popular to not return one day. I think the backlash against some of her more lackluster storylines are finally starting to sink in and as such, they want to wait until a truly gifted writer can give her the return she deserves.

Like her or not, she is still one of the GREATEST X-MEN and that wont ever change. No matter what lame character-after-the-next calls themselves a Phoenix, she will always be THE Phoenix. I think people hate on her because, despite disliking her, they cant do anything to change that fact.

Why a lot of people like CYCLOPS more than her is beyond me. He has the personality of toast.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By XsPectre28

too many Jean Grey Haters for me *takes 3 steps backwards & exits the room*

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RogueOracle

She's called the Phoenix for a reason.

@XsPectre28 said:

too many Jean Grey Haters for me *takes 3 steps backwards & exits the room*

I know, right? Most people either hate her because they like Emma Frost better, the whole "feud" has been going on too long and can seem a bit trivial at times, or they hate the Phoenix Force. I like Emma but I hate how people always have to pit Jean against her. The only thing they have in common is Cyclops and telepathy, yet people insist on doing so. Honestly, the it's all the same to me and some arguments are just really shallow.

I love Jean, too. One of my favourites, in fact She's had one of the most complicated back stories ever and she's really powerful, and fought the the dark nature that lived within inside her. She's a great example of what happens when one holds too much power, and how the good can be corrupted.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The Dark Huntress said:

@LordHuntingrathII said:

Because she's a Mary Sue.

Most of the popular superheroes are Mary Sues or Marty Stues, though.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#40  Edited By Raiiyn

@GREGalicious said:

She's too popular to not return one day. I think the backlash against some of her more lackluster storylines are finally starting to sink in and as such, they want to wait until a truly gifted writer can give her the return she deserves.

Like her or not, she is still one of the GREATEST X-MEN and that wont ever change. No matter what lame character-after-the-next calls themselves a Phoenix, she will always be THE Phoenix. I think people hate on her because, despite disliking her, they cant do anything to change that fact.

Why a lot of people like CYCLOPS more than her is beyond me. He has the personality of toast.

This is extremely true. Never understood the Cyclops buzz. Mind you, his character is less annoying now with Emma Frost in the picture. He's not a spineless goody two-shoes anymore.

Personally I'm not a big fan of Jean Grey as just plain old Jean Grey. Like Marvel Girl. She irritated me beyond irritated me back then. Only like her as the Phoenix and I completely agree with the fact the she IS and ALWAYS will be THE Phoenix.

And you are right about the writers... They gotta stop with the whole boomerang death thing. It's overplayed. Either keep her dead (which they won't but maybe should just because of how horrible the character is right now) or give her a hella good storyline so maybe people like me who dislike Jean so much might actually find some value in her character. I'm tired of her Logan/Cyclops issues and reincarnations.

Leave her dead or do her right.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GREGalicious

@Raiiyn: I can agree with that but I always liked her as just JEAN GREY. The PHOENIX FORCE just made her more interesting where she seemed almost too ordinary before. The Phoenix was originally intended to be Jeans natural power (no semi-"piece of soul"-duplicate Jean) and im so glad the wonderful ENDSONG finally made it so. After that, any possession storylines just dont make sense. Why does Phoenix keep possessing lesser beings, when she has a permanent body to do the job herself? If all others are just using temporaryborrowed power, they need to just go on and say it.

Its like they had all these revelations about Jean and Phoenix in Endsong, then completely forgot to elaborate on those revelations. Im still waiting to know the significance of White Phoenix of the Crown and I wanna know what "The Crown" is. Did Jean ever gather all her Phoenix fragments? Im just kinda left in the dark.

I think if HOPE doesnt turn out to somehow be Jean, she's a complete waste of a supposedly new character. No way does she deserve to be the new Phoenix. Theres nothing original about her. She has Jean's appearance, basically SYNCH's powers (they shouldve just used him as the mutant messiah), and im sorry but hanging with the awesome CABLE doesnt make you cool. Yet they love to give false hope by constantly using Jean's fiery imagery. If they arent gonna bring her back, leave both her image, her gravesite, and the Phoenix Force out of the storylines. No one likes the force without Jean anyway.

GREGalicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GREGalicious

@RogueOracle: I agree about the whole EMMA and JEAN thing. I like both and personally think they (MADELYNE too) can do better than CYCLOPS. I still dont get it. He's fun to play as in videogames but thats it.

I personally enjoy Jean. People blame lame storytelling but its not just her. A LOT of the X-Men storylines have been crap since about 2001.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Phoenix will probably reboot Marvel.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@sesquipedalophobe: They said that there is gonna be no reboot at the Panel for Avengers vs X-Men at Wondercon.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
    sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGreyOutcastX: They also said their stories were going to be amazing.

Avatar image for thegreyoutcastx
    TheGreyOutcastX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TheGreyOutcastX

@sesquipedalophobe: Amazing stories that they think are amazing. So they aren't lying, just not realizing that not everyone shares that view.

RogueOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RogueOracle

@GREGalicious: I agree. Cyclops may be leader of the X-Men, I like him, but why do Marvel make the women flock to him? He's a great dude, but he'd make a sucky partner 'cause he focuses to much on his X-Men duties.

And true, there has been some bad story telling. I think Jean cops the flack because she is such a major character. No one else has her iconic reputation and Jean is kind of the female face of the X-Men to the public while Wolverine is the male's face for the public for those who haven't read the comics but have seen the movies (hell, even Snooki knows about Jean!).

Haters gonna hate, but I love her.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Raiiyn

@GREGalicious: I think Hope being Jean would be mega weird... Jean has to come back as her actual self if they are going to do it. The clones and rebirth and all that is something I'm WAY over. And I understand what you mean about being left in the dark, I really hate there's been no real answers for certain things in regards to the Phoenix. And you are more then then right. The PF is absolutely awful when associated with any character other then Jean.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.