Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 7984 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Misconception of Jean and Wolverine

avengpymhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By avengpymhawk

I've been re-reading some of my old X-Men issues and between the first suppose death of Jean and her first resurrection. Ok, the Phoenix Force put Jean in a cocoon. So Jean was never the one attractive to Wolverine, but the actual Phoenix was and vise versa. So since the nineties to now, writers have misinterpreted their relationship or have I?
    PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By PrinceIMC

Jean's got the memories from the Phoenix and the Phoenix essentially was Jean so she remembers everything the Phoenix did as if it was her.
    Avatar image for josedriveratcr7
    JoseDRiveraTCR7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By JoseDRiveraTCR7

Yeah, Jean received the memories of the Phoenix so she remembers what happens. I don't think the writers misinterpreted the relationship as much as they gave (most of) the fans what they wanted. Wolverine was the most popular X-Man and Jean was the most popular X-Woman so it makes sense for people to want to see them paired together.

However, I've never gotten the whole Wolverine and Jean thing. It felt forced at first with Wolverine taking a picture of her out of his pocket and saying he loved her even though the only time they were depicted in a conversation was the issue before the the space ship was crashing and Wolverine called her crazy or something. Wolverine then went on like a stalker about how Jean is the love of his life though, and though they shared a some moments before she/Phoenix died. Wolverine then fell in love with a Japanese woman and went on to say that what he felt for Jean wasn't really love. Then I believe Wolverine's feelings resurfaced in X-Factor #61, X-Tinction Agenda part 6, where he confessed his feelings. Then after that they had a few moments here and there until Jean and Cyclops got married, but these moments weren't much more than a line or two, or a stare. AoA made the pairing a bit more legit, but besides that there was never a hint of serious feelings until Grant Morrison's run when he really kicked it up. It seems like there relationship was like a lot of relationships (and some writing) back in the 80s in which is was mostly tell and not show.

buffalostyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By buffalostyle

I've had a problem with their "relationship" since the beginning due to how forced it was...It's was like, "gotta find someone for Wolverine to stalk"..."he's popular, she's popular...it's a win/win"...ugh

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mercy_
    @avengpymhawk said:
    " I've been re-reading some of my old X-Men issues and between the first suppose death of Jean and her first resurrection. Ok, the Phoenix Force put Jean in a cocoon. So Jean was never the one attractive to Wolverine, but the actual Phoenix was and vise versa. So since the nineties to now, writers have misinterpreted their relationship or have I? "
    It wasn't just during the nineties, though. 
    riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By riri4life

I actually liked their whole "forbidden romance". :\  

I still wouldn't want them together as a serious couple, but just a fling here or there. I don't think it was just the Phoenix's influence either. Its a classic "good girl falls for the bad boy" scenario. ...Any story is good when Cyc becomes the 3rd wheel in my book. ;)  

Hawkeye446

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By Hawkeye446
    @riri4life said:
    " I actually liked their whole "forbidden romance". :\   I still wouldn't want them together as a serious couple, but just a fling here or there. I don't think it was just the Phoenix's influence either. Its a classic "good girl falls for the bad boy" scenario. ...Any story is good when Cyc becomes the 3rd wheel in my book. ;)   "
    Definitely! 
    JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By JonesDeini
    @buffalostyle:  
    Indeed
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By PowerHerc
    @buffalostyle said:
    "I've had a problem with their "relationship" since the beginning due to how forced it was...It's was like, "gotta find someone for Wolverine to stalk"..."he's popular, she's popular...it's a win/win"...ugh "

Good point.
    bellaardila92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think their relationship are affair.After Jean died Wolverine becomes an emo.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ultimate X men did it right jean sleeps with logan finds out he is an ass and has nothing to do with him from that point on.

God I miss Ultimate X men.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.