Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8004 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Marvel Teases the Possible Return of Jean Grey

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By SandMan_

its that time of year again...

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#102  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

Wow, she has been dead since my second year at art college, which I graduated from in 2005. Wow, long time for a character like her to remain dead.

EvanTheMexiJew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#104  Edited By EvanTheMexiJew

I'll say it's most probably Hope wearing Jean's costume

Cafeterialoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By Cafeterialoca

@AgeofHurricane: Tell me about it. Marvel's new direction is more scary sounding than exciting sounding. Especially if it means More Wolverine and Spider-Man everywhere. *UGH!*

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#106  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Oh, and, "Marvel Teases the Possible Return of Jean Grey", haven't they done that a trillion times before ? LOL.

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By Comiclove5

I knew it. I knew it when they said: well The Phoenix is coming for a redhead.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#108  Edited By Grey56

If there is any one character I don't mind being brought back time and again - it's the woman who houses the Phoenix force. Plus, if you liked the way she died during Morrison's run - I got nothing for you. Should folks stay dead - sure. Some characters, a la Thanos, Adam Warlock and Jean Grey - there's a reason it makes sense on a physical plane why they return.

GreenFuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By GreenFuse

I pray to the Phoenix Force this happening! I miss, Jean :(

And her death still rubs me raw. Electromagnetic hullabaloo...pshaa! If she can catnap in a freakin' star, she can handle an EM doohicky.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By oraclefyre

True, it could be one of those clones.

But yeah, Jean's the ultimate troll.

n25philly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By n25philly

They are bringing her back to make her like Kenny from South Park. She'll die in every issue and then show up again like nothing happened in the next one.

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#112  Edited By HexThis

Why does everybody whine about Jean coming back? She is, perhaps, one of the only people where it would be logical to bring her back. She's the PHOENIX, their whole schtick is that they explode and rise from the ashes.

I mean, you all still read comics with Bucky who had a ridiculous resurrection, Magneto was brought back and no one complains, or how about Wolverine who dies a different way almost every issue he's in? Deadpool? Cable? Cap? But Jean isn't allowed to come back?

Anyways, Marvel has teased and teased and teased forever. I'm not getting invested, I haven't even bought the AvX series because of this after being majorly cheated before with Second Coming, Messiah Complex, Endsong, Warsong, the Sisterhood arc.

They also never said it wasn't a flashback or a clone or AoA Jean masquerading. Put your money where you mouth is, Marvel.

Avatar image for bewilderingbeing
    BewilderingBeing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If she comes back during AvsX all hell is breaking loose! Starting with Emmas Insecure self! She is going to loose it!

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#114  Edited By agent9149

I don't believe this, i just don't....they tease about the return of jean grey every year but they don't deliver so no, im not believing it one bit

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#115  Edited By TheHeat
    @Comik Book Guy said:

Marvel needs to start getting its shit together and keep characters dead for a loooooong time if they want any shock value attached to them again.

Eight years seems to be a long time.
    edge0076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By edge0076

If they could bring her back as they kill off Wolverine that would be even better.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

I heard they may announce a relaunch also for Marvel.

Maniac2312

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#118  Edited By Maniac2312

Jean can die and come back all she wants because she is the embodiment of a primal universal force.

Maybe this is why the phoenix force is possessing people who've known her, to bring her back with their favorite memories of her.

And I think her and Scott would have a LOT of talking to do if they were ever to get back together.

@Jonny_Anonymous: does anyone sit through this for 10 minutes???? they CRAZZZYYYY!!!! or will be by then.....

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By thenexusrebound

Is it just me or do some people not realize she has been gone since she went White Phoenix. I mean yes she is mentioned a lot, because two major characters of the X-men world love her. That being said End Song came out in 2005 about seven years ago. Marvel has hinted and hinted, but it was never Jean. My fiance loves Jean, she is one of her favorite characters so she is excited if this is true. Sadly, the way marvel has been this will be a tease for something else.

Osian2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Osian2

@fodigg said:

All they've done is tease her return for years. It'd be worth bringing her back at this point just to shut them up. And of course, if they do bring her back, they'll need to make some changes for her. My expanded thoughts on how to do that (source thread):

@fodigg said:

If Jean comes back Cyclops should feel literally compelled to go to her but visibly struggling against it, whereby it is then revealed by Jean (who is temporarily infused with Phoenix energy before she ditches it forever in the White Hot Room so she can finally evolve as a character) that Mr. Sinister programmed both her and Scott to pursue each other for the benefit of his genetics experiments. Then together Jean and Emma remove this mental programming from Scott (Jean's is already gone from her rebirth) and Scott comfortably stays with Emma.

This would accomplish the following:

• Retains the current continuity instead of backtracking to a decades old status quo.
    • Allows them to defy expectations and have Jean & Emma working together and getting along swimmingly.
    • Let's them permanently uncouple Jean and Scott, allowing Scott's growth to stay and for Jean to become something more than just the center of the Scott/Logan love triangle.
    • Explains a galling character flaw in Scott's history--ditching his wife for the "real" Jean--which has dogged the character for years. Both the relationship with Maddy and subsequent flight to the returned Jean would be explained as Sinister's programming taking root.
    • De-mystifies their relationship without totally nullifying it. They can look back on their years fondly and know they truly loved each other without any sort of active pursuit in the present, and with the firm knowledge that they weren't some sort of "soul mates," but were guided by Sinister's machinations. Again, defy expectations by making them incredibly fast friends without any tension.
    • Provides an opportunity for Scott to drop some baggage. He's been growing more and more tense and, well, villain-like over recent years. There would be an opportunity to drop miscellaneous other mental "viruses" of Sinister's here that could be used as an explanation to have Scott chill out a little, and maybe even hand the reigns of the X-Men over to someone more even-handed, like say Storm, who will go back to the mohawk and cut any fool who steps. Ah, to dream.

Then of course they should have Logan make his romantic advances—which Scott has no problem with—and be politely but firmly told no. Not because they couldn't write a story about that, but because if Jean is going to come back she needs to become something new, and she can't do that if her primary role is as someone else's love interest.

Jean Grey has been gone for years and yet because of the constant teases we're all still sick of her. And worse, all her usual props and roles (e.g., Phoenix, team telepath, Cyclops' love interest) have been passed off to other characters (e.g., Emma, Cuckoos, Rachel Summers, Korvus, Hope, Cable, Nate Grey, Phoenix Five) so she has no unique role to go back to. The only solution as I see it is to allow her to return, but then ditch the Phoenix thing permanently and let her develop into something new. New personality, new relationships, new costume, new abilities.

This is a brilliant idea! She definitely needs some "new" developments so she isn't seen as the bland character that has a connection with the phoenix and keeps dying. More than anything though I hope she stays with the X-men (Scott or Logans, I don't mind either way), I don't want her joining the Avengers just for the sake of it and I can't see a realistic way of her joining. I want her to have some development but I don't want her to leave everything behind otherwise what was the point of bringing her back if she leaves anyway?

FinnVarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By FinnVarra

This could be really cool if they do it right. I'd like to imagine that she comes back at the climax of AvX and sides with the Avengers. Her coming back to the X-Men would be boring, but if she joined the Avenges...that would be interesting.

Zaklops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Zaklops

I think its high time Jean came back.

Zaklops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Zaklops

@danhimself: But what about the schism between Cyclops and Wolverine, thats going to be intresting.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Hareil0079

Bring back post AvX I can see it.. the PF breaks away from the P5 and resurrects Jean

Mieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Mieux

....Why?

Do not want.

Avatar image for jordanhenleykomics
    jordanhenleykomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BEHOLD the return of jean grey for 1000000379790894742974 time.just to kill her off again.

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By DChero

jean comes back and wolvie and her have sex and become a couple. cyclops is still hated by everyone.

Hareil0079

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Hareil0079

New Teaser of AvX is up AvX#9 begining of the 3rd act "there can only be one"

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By NXH

Please Marvel. Don't!

RiscazZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By RiscazZ

Marvel teases everything. See, right about now they could tell the most absolutely fantastic tale with the return of Jean with art to rip my eyes off as everything you look at will seem ugly as hell, and I'd downgrade it immediately because they are making every single development into a event with lots of poster and the works. It's degrading really.

Jean grey coming back in Marvel...meh.

Joker coming back in DC I'm jumping in my seat.

And the only reason is, DC knows how to tease, and Marvel teases every single thing that's going to happen, until you don't really care any more cause half of those stories are not even event material IMO.

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#131  Edited By The Sadhu

Her past self is coming to the present... thats my theory.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@HexThis said:

Why does everybody whine about Jean coming back? She is, perhaps, one of the only people where it would be logical to bring her back. She's the PHOENIX, their whole schtick is that they explode and rise from the ashes.

I mean, you all still read comics with Bucky who had a ridiculous resurrection, Magneto was brought back and no one complains, or how about Wolverine who dies a different way almost every issue he's in? Deadpool? Cable? Cap? But Jean isn't allowed to come back?

Anyways, Marvel has teased and teased and teased forever. I'm not getting invested, I haven't even bought the AvX series because of this after being majorly cheated before with Second Coming, Messiah Complex, Endsong, Warsong, the Sisterhood arc.

They also never said it wasn't a flashback or a clone or AoA Jean masquerading. Put your money where you mouth is, Marvel.

It's not AoA Jean because she's been de-powered but I'm not convinced this just isn't a clone

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By DEGRAAF

it makes sense and im curious if they will automatically pair her up with someone (ex. Wolverine) and how she will react to Cyclops, how Emma will react to her and how the rest of the world will change because it the conclusion

edge0076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By edge0076

Jean comes back, Wolvie somehow gets burned to a crisp in the process (hallelujah!!!), takes the PF from the P5, uses it to somehow cause hundreds of mutant births throughout the world, Cap sees just how wrong he was about the whole thing and apologizes profusely to Cyke personally, a lot of angsty-in-the-pantsy for Cyke now that Jean is back, things look just a little bit brighter for the mutant race in general (wouldn't want to make things too easy, otherwise where's the fun in that?).

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By zackattack529

was anyone really surprised by this? i mean cmon now.AvX has to deal with the phoenix, and jean grey is the most prominent phoenix host, so it doesn't surprise me that after everything jean would return

mario_nblc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#136  Edited By mario_nblc

Me happy! Love it!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

either bring her back forever or dont bring her back at all

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#138  Edited By Teerack

It's about time.

cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By cmaprice

Why does everyone keep saying she's remained gone/dead since New X-Men?

Is Phoenix: End Song not in canon anymore? The showed it was actually Jean's previously dead body the Phoenix took over.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By DEGRAAF

you know it will be Scott (while hosting the Phoenix Force) opens the black box in his mind (which will be Jean or how he remembers her) and she will be recreated with all of his memories of them or something like this

Ijan092

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Ijan092

leave her dead .

soul82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By soul82

Yes!! I had been waiting seven years ago for that!! yesssssssssssssssss!

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By jorgeareizaga

MARVEL WE THE PEOPLE WANT JEAN GREY COME BACK NOW!!!!

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By jorgeareizaga

JEAN MUST KICK EMMA´S VAGINA, EMMA STOLE HER MAN

dewboy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 17

#145  Edited By dewboy01

god helps those, who helps themselves.

brucecapell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By brucecapell

Marvel knows no one else can cause buzz like the original x-woman. It's getting reactions everwhere.

Baron_Emo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Baron_Emo

I think her character has more power as a memory than a living person.

CWB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By CWB
    @jorgeareizaga said:

MARVEL WE THE PEOPLE WANT JEAN GREY COME BACK NOW!!!!

YES!!!! 
    brucecapell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By brucecapell

marvel writers are predictable so I'll say it'll be the O5 coming to the present to see what's happening so another time travel story for whatever reasons

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#150  Edited By Grey56

@Mercy_: I've been reading and re-reading over all of what ya'll have been engaging over. And between the two of you, I truly wish I was there in person to hear it audibly. That said - I probably disagree with ReVamp the more so. That said - I posted about this further along in this thread about the enduring qualities of Jean as embodied through the Phoenix Force. If there were a physical case to be made for the possibility of reanimation - several Marvel characters would probably be able to tap into those nebulous energies. Jean would be one.

More-over, I do not care for Emma - I fundamentally don't trust her. Scott's had his issues - but truthfully if you can't see the heroic flaws in the man then I have some Shakespearean literature I'd like to pass along to all of the Cyc haters on here. Anyone that's ever had several people truly love them - and then have to choose should be able to understand that there are often more losers than winners when it comes to love or other matters of the heart.

ReVamp's wrong though - Scott's decision needs to be exonerated by the light of day. And their relationship being based on reality ? Wow, now there's a meta-physical/existential discussion I'd love to hear. Again - that's not you. I do believe though that the interplay between one of the two most powerful females in comics (Marvel side) would make for high drama. (Sigh) At heart I have to believe that Scott would still go back to the woman whom he has risked everything for. If you've never read the old Dark Phoenix Saga and watch the two of them fight for Jean's life - watched as two young lovers twist against the wind, well, it's worth a read.

Short of commenting further on Emma - and what type of woman she is, and her usefulness - I'll be a gentleman about it. That said - Jean was always a woman any man could desire. I like to think that Scott would do what I or any man would in the face of that choice. Indecencies aside, cavorting in telepathic trysts aside - I believe the man would still take Red.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.