Jean has come far since losing to Sue in FF #28

#1 Posted by catfightfan (602 posts) - - Show Bio

I recall FF #28 in the early 1960's when Sue Storm got the better of Jean by trapping her in a force field. It is amazing almost 50 years later now how much more popular Jean is than Sue Storm.

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Sue's alive, Jean is dead. Yep, how far Jean has come...wait...

#3 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1636 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: lmao

#4 Posted by tron_bonne (2286 posts) - - Show Bio
Throughout the histories of X-Men, Jean has died.... ALOT OF TIME. She's really lucky to have the Phoenix Force. Sue has died several times too, but not nearly as much as Jean. And yes, I agree. Jean started becoming more popular than Sue after the Dark Phoenix Saga. And Ever since House of M, Wanda's been getting most of the spotlight now.
#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

Sue's alive, Jean is dead. Yep, how far Jean has come...wait...

Thank you for saying it for me :)

#6 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

Sue's alive, Jean is dead. Yep, how far Jean has come...wait...

Oh, the sweet sweet Irony!

#7 Posted by Squares (8024 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasp once beat Jean in a fight by pulling her hair in front of her eyes. No joke.

#8 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio

More powerful does not equal more popular. Jean/Phoenix is an annoying Mary Sue who's whole shtick is dying and being uber powerful. That doesn't make her more popular or a better character. It just makes her an annoyingly contrived plot device.

Moderator
#9 Posted by Manchine (4185 posts) - - Show Bio
@catfightfan said:

I recall FF #28 in the early 1960's when Sue Storm got the better of Jean by trapping her in a force field. It is amazing almost 50 years later now how much more popular Jean is than Sue Storm.


Wait when did Jean become more popular then Sue?  Oh, you are saying your fact oh ok.  You are one of those people.
#10 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one think Jean has become far more visible than Sue.

#11 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (159 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress: And whose Mary Sue is she exactly?

#12 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Greatest_Username said:

@The Dark Huntress: And whose Mary Sue is she exactly?

What do you mean?

Moderator
#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92997 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

I for one think Jean has become far more visible than Sue.

Ba-dump-tsh.

Moderator
#14 Posted by samlankey (12 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason people are far more passionate about Jean, love or hate (when they bring her back watch lovers and esp haters flock to the threads and books). IW is seldom brought up or talked about, only since Torch's death have I began to read her and FF

#15 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (159 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress:

Every "Mary Sue" has a writer as their driving force. Basically a Mary Sue is a character with no real flaws and basically the fictional embodiment of their writer's fantasy.

#16 Posted by fodigg (6148 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

@fodigg said:

I for one think Jean has become far more visible than Sue.

Ba-dump-tsh.

Oh man I'm so glad someone caught that. Here's a cute puppy for you:

#17 Posted by fesak (7073 posts) - - Show Bio

Who is this Jean you talk about?

Moderator
#18 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@The_Greatest_Username said:

@The Dark Huntress:

Every "Mary Sue" has a writer as their driving force. Basically a Mary Sue is a character with no real flaws and basically the fictional embodiment of their writer's fantasy.

That's one interpretation, commonly called the "Author Avatar Sue".  
 
Another type of Mary Sue is the God Mode Sue, which Jean exemplifies to the point that future God Mode Sues should be called "Jean Greys".
#19 Posted by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

More powerful does not equal more popular. Jean/Phoenix is an annoying Mary Sue who's whole shtick is dying and being uber powerful. That doesn't make her more popular or a better character. It just makes her an annoyingly contrived plot device.

Give this woman a medal.

#20 Posted by Thorion88 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@The_Greatest_Username said:

@The Dark Huntress:

Every "Mary Sue" has a writer as their driving force. Basically a Mary Sue is a character with no real flaws and basically the fictional embodiment of their writer's fantasy.

That's one interpretation, commonly called the "Author Avatar Sue". Another type of Mary Sue is the God Mode Sue, which Jean exemplifies to the point that future God Mode Sues should be called "Jean Greys".

^

This is also true.

The only time Jean was an interesting character was in X-Men Evolution, then again that's mostly due to the fact, they didn't bring in lolphoenix force crap into it and have it wear Jean as a husk.

#21 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Thorion88 said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@The_Greatest_Username said:

@The Dark Huntress:

Every "Mary Sue" has a writer as their driving force. Basically a Mary Sue is a character with no real flaws and basically the fictional embodiment of their writer's fantasy.

That's one interpretation, commonly called the "Author Avatar Sue". Another type of Mary Sue is the God Mode Sue, which Jean exemplifies to the point that future God Mode Sues should be called "Jean Greys".

^

This is also true.

The only time Jean was an interesting character was in X-Men Evolution, then again that's mostly due to the fact, they didn't bring in lolphoenix force crap into it and have it wear Jean as a husk.

Yes. I agree. Only time I liked Jean was in Evolution.
#22 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13624 posts) - - Show Bio

i like Jean whenever i watch evolution and/or am comparing her to emma............. most of time i'm just meh about her

Online
#23 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (159 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt:

Why is that exactly? If Jean was a "God Mode Sue" she would be able to do whatever she wants and nothing bad would ever happen to her. But looking at her history, that isn't the case for the character. Going from X-Factor onward, she came back to find her lover married to another woman (and have a child with her), later she finds out that woman is a clone of her (which she absorbs, along with the memories of Phoenix so she's basically got herself plus 2 people stuck inside her head). Throughout the 90's, nothing bad really happened to her, she gets married and is a pretty mainstay member of the X-Men. Later on, the eX-villain Emma Frost joins the team as she and her husband are having marital problems and Ms Frost takes advantage of Scott in his weakened state, thus destroying Jean Grey's marriage.

Doesn't exactly sound like a "God Mode Sue".

#24 Posted by HexThis (915 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the sensors used to detect Jean in the cocoon damaged her telepathy so if Jean had her telepathy she could've easily sedated Sue and I believe the force field bubble would've dissolved anyways. But I don't know, Sue's force-field powers are pretty unbreakable.

#25 Posted by QuasarPrime (57 posts) - - Show Bio

I read that Jean's Telepathy was actually surpressed by the Phoenix Force so that she couldn't call out to anyone to release her before her healing was complete (like Xavier or other powerful telepaths or Scott), and was not caused by the sensors Reed used to release Jean. Sue is powerful and has great powers, but Jean with her dual psionic powers/potential is just too powerful for Sue.

#26 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

Sue is a better character, a better superhero, and has always just been better overall than Jean, IMO. And, you know, she's still alive, so there's that too. And Hey, T_G_U!

#27 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (4199 posts) - - Show Bio
@tron_bonne said:
Throughout the histories of X-Men, Jean has died.... ALOT OF TIME. She's really lucky to have the Phoenix Force. Sue has died several times too, but not nearly as much as Jean. And yes, I agree. Jean started becoming more popular than Sue after the Dark Phoenix Saga. And Ever since House of M, Wanda's been getting most of the spotlight now.
Why do people always insist that Jean has died so many times, she has officially died a total of 2 times, when Wolverine stabs her on Asteroid M and when Zorn killed her, all in the same arc.  Every other time she "died" she was not dead only thought to be dead and that was only 2 other times, after the Dark Phoenix saga and when they thought she died when she took over Emmas body.  Magneto dies like 3 times a year.  Are people counting when Thanos blinked people out of existence, that's not death that's erasing and it was undone and not officially a death, nobody counts it for anybody else they may have been affected.  Are people counting Endsong?  Wolverine stabbing her over and over and she was getting up everytime until she imprisoned herself?  Anyway Jean has died actually twice, and was resurrected both times.
#28 Posted by The_Greatest_Username (159 posts) - - Show Bio

Concerning who's a better character? Jean Grey has a much larger fanbase and Marvel cares much more about the character than they do Sue, so take that for what you will ;) Not to mention she has a distinguished story and prescence that many characters attempt to mooch off of.

Hey Shadowdoggy :)

#29 Posted by KDarkholme (337 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone have a scan of Jean losing to Sue because I would love to see that.?

#30 Posted by BlackArmor (6149 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree Jean has actually become Worse than that time

#31 Posted by Lonestar88 (170 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly both characters have become kind of boring, but at least Sue is still human. Jean is now just a costume that the Phoenix wears.
 
If an when they do bring Jean back, I hope they get rid of the Phoenix force. I'd like to explore her character as a independent entity for once.

#32 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lonestar88 said:

Honestly both characters have become kind of boring, but at least Sue is still human. Jean is now just a costume that the Phoenix wears. If an when they do bring Jean back, I hope they get rid of the Phoenix force. I'd like to explore her character as a independent entity for once.

LOL

#33 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio

@KDarkholme said:

Does anyone have a scan of Jean losing to Sue because I would love to see that.?

#34 Posted by KDarkholme (337 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aqua11500: Ha.! Nice Sue. I cant believe Jean couldnt break out.

#35 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio

@KDarkholme said:

@Aqua11500: Ha.! Nice Sue. I cant believe Jean couldnt break out.

To be fair though, there was something goin on with her telepathy.It wasn't working right.

but Sue did block her telekinesis in that scan :)

#36 Posted by hyperbeing (400 posts) - - Show Bio

guys jean is a powerful mutant and has grown stronger since there anitial acounter. i mean now jean could maipulate matter on a molecular level . and has her teleapthy hand has been abel to do alot more. guys also the phoenix coudlve killed sue had it not be for the fact she wasnt willing to kill anyone one and thus givivng sue an opening.and also you didnt show the the next page in wich jean thoguht she was gonna be killed. she showed alot of honor there.she was willing to die wit hthe fact of not trying to kill anyone and also willing to die.

#37 Posted by hyperbeing (400 posts) - - Show Bio

also she couldve dewstoyed the groaned to get out

#38 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7306 posts) - - Show Bio

Evolution Jean was pretty rad'.

#39 Posted by hyperbeing (400 posts) - - Show Bio

and yes i do admit the evolution best shows jeans powers. but i read somewhere that evolutuin jean is equel to an early late jean grey

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.