Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8006 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Jean Grey without the Phoenix Force.

• 58 results
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cracks

It seems to me that Jean Grey without the Phoenix Force is not that powerful or menacing of an opponent. While Jean has defeat Emma, I don't see any other impressive feats of Jean without the Phoenix Force. 

It is hard, though, to say Jean without the Phoenix Force, because Jean is Phoenix.

Any thoughts?

Gene_Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Gene_Pool

To be honest, Jean has been the Phoenix for so long, its hard to remember her before she became Phoenix. Maybe they were going to make her Phoenix all along.
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cracks
    @Gene_Pool : Agreed. When Stryfe defeated her, she was not Phoenix.
    Gene_Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Gene_Pool

In fact, Jean Grey was already Phoenix long before I was born.
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cracks
    @Gene_Pool : ???       %Pr
    latilya89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By latilya89

hi! new to the vine. Jean is a omega level mutant with unlimited psionic capabilities. I believe she is a powerful character. dont discredit her she been around along time, and i hate that people on here say she is weak without the phoenix in the 90s and early 200s she didnt have it and was still a badass character.
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cracks
    @latilya89: You seem like a nice person. 

Any evidence to support your claims?
    cmkphoenixfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By cmkphoenixfan1

Jean is a powerful mutant without the pf but she holds back a lot. Read the X-factor comics. She didnt have the pf in them and was the strongest member at the time. She only had tk up to 66 and then she regained her tp. I f u want to see jeans tp action then look into the revolution books.
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cracks
    @Phoenix of the Black Throne: Apparently Apocalypse defeated her via telepathy, rather easily. 
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cracks
    @Phoenix of the Black Throne: I thought that that was MR. Sinister.

It happened in the Twelve, by the way. 

Stryfe, Mr. Sinister also defeated Jean. 
    Gene_Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gene_Pool
    @cracks:
    So? Mr Sinister is a powerful villain in his own right, and there's nothing wrong with Jean losing once in awhile.
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cracks
    @Gene_Pool : True.  Not powerful enough to avoid getting killed by Mystique though. Or to get knocked out cold by X-Man.
    Avatar image for the_phoenix_child
    The Phoenix Child

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jean without the Phoenix Force is always the character that holds back but after her visit in the future with her then husband where she had 12 years of training the young Cable she grew to be more confident. In fact, when she came back she decided to use her real potential, much to the dismay of her husband and some of her team mates as the thought of dark phoenix lingers.  

In one of her encounters, she has been said to be able to crush a man's bone by a mere thought, this is the time she was fighting Sabretooth and clearly said that if Sabretooth is a firecracker, well she is an Atomic Bomb - which I truly agree... if we are to follow the AOA storyline that is much aligned with the Earth-616 powers of the X-Men, Jean is the one who saved the entire mutant population by stopping all the nuclear bombs thrown at them. She is mutant Alpha - the strongest of them all.

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By cracks
    @The Phoenix Child:True and interesting.

Yet Sinister and Apoc. defeated her.                 Also, any telekinetic could stop all of those nuclear bombs.         %Pr
    The Phoenix Child

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually not all telekinetics can stop nuclear bombs.

You have to put in mind that when the X-Men fight they do not intend to kill because if their true intention is to kill then their power manifestation will be different. Jean always holds back with fights, like Storm, Professor X, Havok,  and even Iceman for that matter, that is why some characters appear to be stronger than them like Emma Frost because she doesn't hesitate to use what she got. A good example is Professor X versus Magneto, Magneto could have been comatose long long ago but Professor X did not out of respect for his friend even when he constantly kill people around him but when pushed to his limits, Professor X did the unthinkable but again he held back he just took away Magneto's ego but not totally shut down his brain totally, killing him instantly, a feat of a telepath with his calibre can do if he wanted to.

I agree that Jean losing a battle is not a bad way to show that even the best sometimes loses a battle. 

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cracks
    @The Phoenix Child: Which telekinetics can't?       %Pr
    mario_nblc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By mario_nblc
    @cracks: i think you should read more x-men where jean is using her powers.. it seems all you are doing is bringing up one thing of her loosing and not paying attention to what The Phoenix Child is trying to explain to you ... 
    Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi...this is my first post...so...anyways... 

Jean is a pretty powerful psychic without the Phoenix Force, she just rarely uses that power due to her compassionate nature... 
    for example she was able to shatter Xavier's psyche and scatter it into the minds of mutants all over the world then rebuild it flawlessly (she did this w/o the Phoenix) I don't have a scan with me but the issue is New X-Men #120-something I believe... 
    and even completely pre-Phoenix Jean has shown powerful feats, she was able to attack Juggernaut through his helmet 

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cracks
    @Phoenix of the Black Throne:  My apologies. I can't post the scan here, but where Sinister defeats Jean, here it is on this page:

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/cable-vs-exodus/419551/#46

Furthermore, I remember Apocalypse defeating Jean via telepathy in "The Twelve" storyline. 

Belladonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Belladonna
    @cmkphoenixfan1 said:
    " Jean is a powerful mutant without the pf but she holds back a lot. Read the X-factor comics. She didnt have the pf in them and was the strongest member at the time. She only had tk up to 66 and then she regained her tp. I f u want to see jeans tp action then look into the revolution books. "
    Didn't she hold back an explosion and used her powers for days without resting in X-Factor?:)
    Avatar image for jeangreyemmafrost
    jeangreyemmafrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

she would still be powerful, well shes an omega

well except the phoenix would stop messing with her life

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By John Valentine

Jean was Omega anyway, that's why she was able to sustain as a host to the Phoenix.

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cracks
    @John Valentine: Well, it was a part of her mutation. Jean Grey all the way to White Phoenix of the Crown. The most powerful mutant by far. 
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By John Valentine
    @cracks said:
    " @John Valentine: Well, it was a part of her mutation. Jean Grey all the way to White Phoenix of the Crown. The most powerful mutant by far.  "

False. Nate Grey is probably more powerful.
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By John Valentine
    @Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
    "@John Valentine said:
    "@cracks said:
    " @John Valentine: Well, it was a part of her mutation. Jean Grey all the way to White Phoenix of the Crown. The most powerful mutant by far.  "
    False. Nate Grey is probably more powerful. "
    False, Jeans is the ultimate mutation and it makes her one the Phoenix Force she is certainly more powerful. "

Canon evidence begs to differ. 

Moira Mactaggert suggested his psionic powers rivalled that of a Phoenix-Force imbued Jean Grey (X-Man #12; Excalibur #95). 
    In another instance, he was measured as having a psionic energy output matching that of the Dark Phoenix (Cable Vol. 1, #29).
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By John Valentine
    @Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
    " @John Valentine said:
    "@Phoenix of the Black Throne said:
    "@John Valentine said:
    "@cracks said:
    False. Nate Grey is probably more powerful. "
    False, Jeans is the ultimate mutation and it makes her one the Phoenix Force she is certainly more powerful. "

Canon evidence begs to differ. 

Moira Mactaggert suggested his psionic powers rivalled that of a Phoenix-Force imbued Jean Grey (X-Man #12; Excalibur #95). 
    In another instance, he was measured as having a psionic energy output matching that of the Dark Phoenix (Cable Vol. 1, #29). "
    when Moira tested "Jean" she registered off the charts and Moira was also the first to say that her powers were only growing on a geometric scale with every use, the only comparision between the two was the fact that both of them registered off the charts, Moira had not seen energy readings like that since Jean as Phoenix, the output of Dark Phoenix was never gauged.  It is also not an accurate measurement because Nates maximum output was gauged to only be able to destroy half the world, Dark Phoenix destroyed a sun roughly the size of Earths sun, and was stated to be able to destroy the universe.  Canon suggests that he rivaled those peliminary readings, but canon also shows her ultimate form being more powerful than what he was originally compared to.  Jean became White Phoenix through evolution and his entire genome is based off hers which was AOA Sinisters intent to harness the power of Jean Grey as a weapon via Nate, the major difference being Nate cannot naturally contain the amount of power that Jean can when she becomes Phoenix.  He could barely contain his own energies, which were killing him until he was branded. "
    Wow, sorry to make you angry.
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cracks
    @John Valentine: No. Both Nate Grey's and Jean Grey's raw power can not be calculated by Homo sapien means because they are very high, possibly infinite. Jean Grey has much more skill and experience than Nate.  Remember that Nate is rash and impetuous, while Jean is more calm, for the most part, and rarely lashes out.  Personality has a huge play in this.  However, even Nate needed that tattoo to prevent himself from burning out, but Jean did not need anything to use her full potential or her full power. 
    cmkphoenixfan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cmkphoenixfan1
    @The_Greatest_Username said:
    "
    Hi...this is my first post...so...anyways... 

Jean is a pretty powerful psychic without the Phoenix Force, she just rarely uses that power due to her compassionate nature... 
    for example she was able to shatter Xavier's psyche and scatter it into the minds of mutants all over the world then rebuild it flawlessly (she did this w/o the Phoenix) I don't have a scan with me but the issue is New X-Men #120-something I believe... 
    and even completely pre-Phoenix Jean has shown powerful feats, she was able to attack Juggernaut through his helmet 

"

I always thought jean as marvel girl was a lot stronger than people gave her credit for. 
    NeoAndroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By NeoAndroid

Jean Grey's power is immense on its own, the phoenix is just the natural progression. I guess you could say she is a god walking among mortals, and even gods sometimes loss at something. I have to say here telekensis and telepathy were really showed in New Xmen too. Especially when she put a part of Charles in every living mutant then reconsituted him. And her telekensis is a power that is so strong i guess anyone would need a leach for it. 

If she can resurecct herself, and stop the passage of time (maybe via her Telekensis)
    Oh and this was taken from her page:

She manifests a “telekinetic sensitivity” (called “the Manifestation of the Phoenix”) to objects in her immediate environment that lets her feel the texture of objects, their molecular patterns, feel when other objects come into contact with them, and probe them at a molecular level. She can also create stargates that can transport her to anywhere in the universe instantaneously. When she engages her Phoenix powers, Jean is surrounded in a flame-like energy corona that takes the form of a large bird of prey. As the Phoenix, Jean can resurrect herself after death and is unaffected by the passage of time. It should be noted that she isn’t “borrowing” the powers of the Phoenix Force (as is perceived by some due to the fact that Jean was a host for the Force); Death itself has said that Jean is the rightful owner of those powers. 

The Phoenix Child

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe its a matter of time before Jean can learn her abilities to chronoskim like what Rachel was able to do.

cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cracks

Hyperstorm would give Rachel Grey a good fight.       %Pr

Avatar image for the_greatest_username
    The_Greatest_Username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmkphoenixfan1 

I agree 
     also probably shoulda made that pic bigger lol...
    cracks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By cracks
    @The_Greatest_Username: lol     %Pr
    Wildstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wildstar

Give me 90's Jean Grey over that stupid Phoenix shyt anyday. The phoenix crap just took a borderline interesting character and makes most people want her to stay dead. Lame writers come up with lame shyt all the time. Phoenix just happens to be up there with the Red Hulk.
    uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#36  Edited By uncanny89

think that written well Jean/Phoenix is a very good character, but sadly no writer has come close to getting the depth of character jean had when CC was writing the books in the 70's and 80's. 

when jean comes back i hope she is just the regular jean  
    kai1309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kai1309

Well Jean is Phoenix, but we all can agree on THE Phoenix is annoying but then again Jean is the Phoenix . I hope HOPE SUMMERS is Jean but don't have her memories because I wanna see her personality.
    mgrman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By mgrman5

Jean is very powerful mutant and is on the class of Silver Surfer level. An example is Cable vs. Silver Surfer. Cable put up a crazy fight against Surfer and lost imagine his way more powerful mom. She would be on par with the Surfer.
    Mercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mercer
    @mgrman5 said:
    "Jean is very powerful mutant and is on the class of Silver Surfer level. An example is Cable vs. Silver Surfer. Cable put up a crazy fight against Surfer and lost imagine his way more powerful mom. She would be on par with the Surfer. "

You need to go back to rehab, son. Jean without the PF got pimp-whipped by Legion in Legion Quest. Psi-whipped by Onslaught. Bully-whipped by Exodus. SS would school her. And Full power Cable did things that Jean without the PF never did. Leave the drugs alone. I know alot of it has to do with his Askani training. You do people try to act like Jean was the only person who taught Cable how to use his powers? The Askani training has more to do with who he is and the level of refinement he's always shown. 
    xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By xmenfallen

jean without the phoenix is still a very powerful character in the 90's cartoon it showed there her without it although she doesnt have many screen time but if you recall she was quite powerful there i think the phoenix force chose her because she is powerful

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Thunderscream

During the Phalanx run, She lifted the Blackbird enduring considerable strain. I prefer her at that power level, able to display some impressive oomph (like holding the space shuttle together upon descent through Earth's atmosphere, which she and Psylocke have each done on separate occasions) but once she starts sifting through matter on a molecular level....I get weary. Vulnerability makes characters more interesting to me.

mindbender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mindbender

jean grey without the phinoxe force emma frost is the best now
    ChadwickDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ChadwickDavis

I disagree completely 
    Most people tend to forget how she acquired the phoenix force to begin with. After a trip from the Shiar galaxy used her telepathy and telekinesis to shield the ship and her friends from the cosmic radiation and heat from the reentry. it was the strain of this ordeal and her strength of will is what got the attention of the Phoenix force in the first place.   

Her non phoenix force power is often downplayed by her children (all of which are from other dimensions) who have access to the phoenix force or are on "phoenix force levels," her clones, her multiple resurrections, and her Cyclops/ Wolverine romance triangle. 
    Essentially she is the First Lady of the X-Men a role that has been filled (to limited degrees) by characters as like Storm and  Emma Frost but because of the phoenix force people tend to forget that she was a formidable force long before she was known as the "Phoenix host" 
    I think that Marvel needs to bring her back simply because she is a great character... NOT TO ADVANCE SOME "SHE WILL RISE AGAIN PLOT. 

hyperbeing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hyperbeing

@cracks: she was defeated by apocolype cause she was so shocked on what was under his aumor she stoped and left herself open. powerful doesnt mean unbeatable. itsa aalso about skill and more.

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

Well telek is really powerful power and she has to an extreme she could easily just move anyone's heart form their chest or make it expload XD.

hyperbeing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hyperbeing

@oviouslyjeangrey: more then that jean grey has yet to telise her powers potentiol

mgrman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How strong is Jean's telekinesis without the power of the Phoenix, but still at maximum power. Is her telekinesis stronger than X-man's or Exodus' can she stop a hydrogen bomb.

zappingmania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By zappingmania

Jean Grey without Phoenix, she will be like Psylocke or Emma Frost, then why I dislike Jean Grey, very easy answer, Phoenix, Phoenix is the big problem of this character, I think Claremore was wrong with his idea that a woman needs to be strong by her powers, and this is the case of Jean Grey, I think Jean Grey was cool with her psychic powers, like shields and levitation, I think it was interesting that she didnt use a codename, she was just Jean Grey and for some time marvel girl xD, why she needs to be Phoenix, even the xmen movies were ruined by that firebird, the best part of Phoenix saga its the end, when she discover that her power its too much to handle it, and she just give up to life as a way to save her love ones, thats the epic moment. But then what happen, guess what, she isnt dead, she is inmortal and the most powerful being of the whole marvel line and mostly DC too xD

timonski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phoenix imbued Jean grey's DNA plus scott summers' DNA= nate grey. Remember scott's DNA acts as a catalyst. Therefore cable w/o the T/O virus is more powerful jean.

^ this!

timonski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phoenix imbued Jean grey's DNA plus scott summers' DNA= nate grey. Remember scott's DNA acts as a catalyst. Therefore cable w/o the T/O virus is more powerful jean.

^ this!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.