Jean Grey useless?

#1 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio

For the most part yes in my opinion. I only think she was worthwhile when she was the phoenix.

#2 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean Grey was the lynchpin and heart of the X-Men for decades. Pretty much every other member is useless by comparison.

#3 Posted by lord_oraculous016 (9282 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean Grey is the center character of the Dark Phoenix Saga, a story arc considered to the one of the best comic books ever created and has drastically changed the entire comic book world.. her character is far from being useless..

#4 Edited by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio


she's not useless, but.....who cares? 
we're talking about a character who isnt' currently in most X-men comics, other than the tangent universes!
who cares how useful or useless she is at the moment? 
I suppose, because she's not in anything, she IS sort of useless, but not because of her character 
because she's not being used

 
@Korg:

      

"Pretty much every other member is useless by comparison"

    
 that's.....stretching it a bit 
they've been doign okay for a while now without her
#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like her, but she was the "heart" of the original team. Without her, I don't think the X-Men would be where they are today. 
 
She should have stayed dead after New X-Men though.

#6 Posted by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" I don't like her, but she was the "heart" of the original team. Without her, I don't think the X-Men would be where they are today.   She should have stayed dead after New X-Men though. "
You don't like her?? She's the best x-man ever!
#7 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@JCJQLB said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" I don't like her, but she was the "heart" of the original team. Without her, I don't think the X-Men would be where they are today.   She should have stayed dead after New X-Men though. "
You don't like her?? She's the best x-man ever! "
....nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol
 
I liked her pre-numerous deaths. She wears me down now.
#9 Posted by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Actually she's my second fave x-man...My fave is Dazzler!
#10 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@JCJQLB: Blah, go back to the 80s heh-heh-heh ;)
#11 Posted by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: They are both awesome!
#12 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@JCJQLB:  Cyclops and Emma all the way :)
#13 Edited by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: Sorry boy.... but I'm in team Jean and Scott...
#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@JCJQLB: That's ok, girl; Scott makes anything cool =]
#15 Posted by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt: lol
#16 Edited by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy said:

"  that's.....stretching it a bit they've been doign okay for a while now without her "

It's not stretching at all, actually. The X-Men would be doing fine had any other member died instead of Jean (hell, they barely even noticed that Nightcrawler died). Her death has had more of an impact than that of any other X-Man who has ever died. As I said, by comparison, most members of the X-Men are fairly useless, as they are not one with a universal force. Also, your definition of "doing okay" is rather strange. The X-Men have been slammed by major losses on more than one occasion since her death, including the Decimation. She may not have been able to prevent that, but she would have dealt with the situation much better than Cyclops and Emma did. At the very least, that busload full of de-powered kids would never have died under Jean's watch.
#17 Edited by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg:
hmmm, ok 
but it sounds like more rampant Jean fanboy-ism to me 
no offense 
but she's just another character
#18 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg:
ugh, here we go again
look, the only reason I said no offense, was so that you wouldn't be offended  
which (of course) you were any way 
because you take it FAR too personally
and it's only about as disingenuous as your claim to not to be a fanboy and to even suggest that you wouldn't just always assume jean is the alpha, omega, first, most and best  (fill in random subject matter here) probably every time it comes up
it's ok though  
I've been reading X-men comics pretty religiously for more than 25 years now 
and hoenstly.... I don't care enough to get into an arguyment about it with someone who probably has made 9,000-some of his 10,000-whatever posts about Jean Grey 
it's like this everywhere the X-men are discussed 
Jean wins 
and if you disagree, you'll have a million and a half fans (who are not fanboys, of course), chomping at the bit to tell me how wrong I am in between discussing her costumes, hair and power levels  
but when it comes down to it- she's not in comics right now
no matter how powerful, beautiful, iconic or awesome she is, she still ranks below any and everyone else who is currently in print 
that's just the lousy part about being fictional, I suppose
#19 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg:
........you are completely nucking futs.  
#20 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg: 

@Shadowdoggy said:

" @Korg: ........you are completely nucking futs.   "

At least you're sticking to your guns and keeping it personal. Right back atcha, I guess     
 
dude, grow up 
how and why are you getting so bent out of shape over a fictional character???? 
jesus christ hanging on the cross, you need to spend less time online
......not that was personal......
#21 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg:
dude, don't start with me  
I am a grown, 30 year old man with a bachelor's degree and I can call you or whoever I want dude for as long as I choose  
and trust me, it's nicer than what I'd like to call you 
so just stop 
you think you're smart but you're not 
you think you're clever, you aren't  
you think you know more than everyone about everything.....well congrats 
I hope your  competely unfounded smug sense of self-satisfaction keeps you warm at night 
lord     
#22 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg:
dude, seriously 
get  
a  
life 
you have far to omuch free time on your hands 
case and point.... 
Korg just replied to your comment:

@Shadowdoggy said:

"dude, don't start with me  I am a grown, 30 year old man"

You pull off an amazing 15-year-old throwing a tantrum. 
 
@Shadowdoggy said:

"with a bachelor's degree"

Congratulations? That has nothing to do with anything, but you can brag about your non-existent degree if it makes you feel more secure or whatever.
 
@Shadowdoggy said:

" trust me, it's nicer than what I'd like to call you "

I'm sure your words would be very harsh indeed. I am aquiver. 
 
@Shadowdoggy said:

"you think you're smart but you're not you think you're clever, you aren't  you think you know more than everyone about everything.....well congrats "

So not only can you read minds, you can read them across the internet. That is an impressive skill. Congrats. 
 
@Shadowdoggy said:

" I hope your  competely unfounded smug sense of self-satisfaction keeps you warm at night lord      "

I hope your failings as a person allow you to get through the rest of the weekend. No need to call me "lord", though it is thoughtful, I suppose. 
 
@Shadowdoggy said:

" so just stop"

Another piece of advice that you should keep for yourself.
    
 
yeah 
that's far too much energy spent arguing over fiction 
and........ non-existant degree? 
you can kiss my lily white ass because that WILL make me throw a tantrum  
suck my BFA from UMBC, ugly
#23 Posted by Aqua11500 (2647 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @Shadowdoggy said:
"that's far too much energy spent arguing over fiction"
You claim have a degree, but your reading comprehension, spelling, and grammar all leave a lot to be desired.
  
@Shadowdoggy said:
" non-existant degree?"
Yes. As in, the degree you claim to have, but do not actually have. 
 
@Shadowdoggy said:
" that WILL make me throw a tantrum"
Oh, I think it's a little late to stop you from throwing a tantrum. 
 
@Shadowdoggy said:
"suck my BFA from UMBC"
Even if it did exist, I don't swing that way. It would also seem that your imaginary BFA has not helped you escape the world of retail, so I wouldn't be bragging on about it too much. "
 BOTH OF YOU STOP IT,YOU ARE BOTH GOING AT IT LIKE 15 YR OLD HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS...AND THAT SAYS A LOT COMING FROM ONE. 
 
AND KORG YOU DO TEND TO GO OVERBOARD SWEETIE PIE,SHADOWDOGGY WAS JUST VOICING HIS OPINION ABOUT JEAN AND THEN YOU WENT ON A MAJOR RANT.LEARN HOW TO IGNORE SOME THINGS PEOPLE!!!!!!!
#24 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

ohh no no no no no she isnt useless they dont know what to do with her...

#25 Posted by Larkin1388 (1760 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg:  Hey man quit acting like your twelve. It seems to me that your attacking him...
#26 Posted by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

@Korg:

 ***What this forum is really about; Jean Grey**** 
Just yesterday, my boyfriend and I were discussing Jean, so it's funny that I found this forum, today. Sorry, Korg, but I have to side with Shadowdoggie. I was just telling my boyfriend how much I dislike Jean even though she is the most powerful mutant in the universe. Most people anxiously await Jean's return, thinking that all the depravity that has happened in the last 10 years will be burned away by the Phoenix Force and Scott will choose her over Emma. People have to realize that Scott and Jean ended their relationship and had ample amount of closure before her death. In Jean's return, she most likely won't come back to directly side with the X-Men. A more likely story would depict her working with a universal threat, for instance, Apocalypse, Shi'ar, Mr. Sinister, or in the pages of Guardians of the Galaxy. Though, most current X-Men fans would rather see Jean tied directly to Hope upon her return. So in the end, all we can do is wonder if she comes back as a vengeful ex-wife, or a Omega level threat. In my personal opinion, besides the Dark Phoenix saga, Jean has always been a disappointment to me as a character.
She has never taken the initiative to be a leader like Scott or Storm, because she has always lacked self-confidence. Cyclops would obviously choose Emma over a woman who hides in the shadow, rather than ruling at the right hand of the king. Emma is as strong and willing as Scott to do what it takes to ensure the mutant race survives. Emma, Storm, and Scott have proved themselves suitable leaders for the X-Men ample amount of times. Also, Angel, Nightcrawler, Havok, Rogue, Cable, Bishop have stepped up to the plate leading an X-team. Jean has only once lead a team of mutants in the 4 issues of Eve of Destruction, resulting in the shortest un-noticed X-teams ever. All of Jean's X-team exposure has been only showing her in poor light. When she is not going crazy, like Polaris, she is finding out that her husband is cheating on her or having that demented love triangle with Scott and Logan. Personally, I don't care for Wolverine so Jean is just a loss for me. 
 
 @Shadowdoggy:  Korg is fucking nuts! Jean's lame and we all know it.
#27 Posted by Dex (559 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd nail her.

#28 Posted by time (5004 posts) - - Show Bio
@Larkin1388 said:
" For the most part yes in my opinion. I only think she was worthwhile when she was the phoenix. "
You don't know much about comics, You should brush up on X-Men history ?
#29 Posted by Green Skin (2932 posts) - - Show Bio
@time said:
" @Larkin1388 said:
" For the most part yes in my opinion. I only think she was worthwhile when she was the phoenix. "
You don't know much about comics, You should brush up on X-Men history ? "
You're confusing your opinions with facts. 
#30 Posted by EmmaGrace (1024 posts) - - Show Bio
@BuddyBulson said:

"
@Korg:

 ***What this forum is really about; Jean Grey**** 
Just yesterday, my boyfriend and I were discussing Jean, so it's funny that I found this forum, today. Sorry, Korg, but I have to side with Shadowdoggie. I was just telling my boyfriend how much I dislike Jean even though she is the most powerful mutant in the universe. Most people anxiously await Jean's return, thinking that all the depravity that has happened in the last 10 years will be burned away by the Phoenix Force and Scott will choose her over Emma. People have to realize that Scott and Jean ended their relationship and had ample amount of closure before her death. In Jean's return, she most likely won't come back to directly side with the X-Men. A more likely story would depict her working with a universal threat, for instance, Apocalypse, Shi'ar, Mr. Sinister, or in the pages of Guardians of the Galaxy. Though, most current X-Men fans would rather see Jean tied directly to Hope upon her return. So in the end, all we can do is wonder if she comes back as a vengeful ex-wife, or a Omega level threat. In my personal opinion, besides the Dark Phoenix saga, Jean has always been a disappointment to me as a character.
She has never taken the initiative to be a leader like Scott or Storm, because she has always lacked self-confidence. Cyclops would obviously choose Emma over a woman who hides in the shadow, rather than ruling at the right hand of the king. Emma is as strong and willing as Scott to do what it takes to ensure the mutant race survives. Emma, Storm, and Scott have proved themselves suitable leaders for the X-Men ample amount of times. Also, Angel, Nightcrawler, Havok, Rogue, Cable, Bishop have stepped up to the plate leading an X-team. Jean has only once lead a team of mutants in the 4 issues of Eve of Destruction, resulting in the shortest un-noticed X-teams ever. All of Jean's X-team exposure has been only showing her in poor light. When she is not going crazy, like Polaris, she is finding out that her husband is cheating on her or having that demented love triangle with Scott and Logan. Personally, I don't care for Wolverine so Jean is just a loss for me. 
 
  @Shadowdoggy:  Korg is fucking nuts! Jean's lame and we all know it. "


I dont think the problem is her inablility to lead a team, or ensure the mutant race survives, as much as that isn't in her character. I'm sure if ths situation required, she could step up and take charge no problem. But she has always been the girl-next-door/nuturing kinda team member in my opinion, not the one barking orders. I have no doubt she could rise to the challege of leadership if need be.  
 
To add on, her whole Phoenix Force struggle has made her somewhat unstable in many cases, which isn't what you would want as a leader. But that doesn't change the fact that she has the potential to be a great leader    
#31 Posted by RightScar (313 posts) - - Show Bio
@Shadowdoggy said:
" @Korg: dude, don't start with me  I am a grown, 30 year old man with a bachelor's degree and I can call you or whoever I want dude for as long as I choose                                             "
LMFAO
#32 Posted by digimod (239 posts) - - Show Bio
@lord_oraculous016 said:
" Jean Grey is the center character of the Dark Phoenix Saga, a story arc considered to the one of the best comic books ever created and has drastically changed the entire comic book world.. her character is far from being useless.. "
I've read a few discussions about this story arc but never heard it stated like this.  How exactly did it change the comic book world?
#33 Posted by time (5004 posts) - - Show Bio

@Larkin1388 said:

For the most part yes in my opinion. I only think she was worthwhile when she was the phoenix.

You really need to brush up on X-Men history. Saying Jean Grey is useless, it like saying Wolverine is worse X-Men ever or saying Magneto is X-Men worse villian . It just doesn't sound right or make sense. I wonder what X-Men characters you think are useful?

#34 Posted by Yasiiii4 (150 posts) - - Show Bio

This is hilarious, and btw Jean is NOT useless

#35 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

I llike Jean, but I don't want her coming back just to die. It makes it hard to enjoy her character at all.

#36 Posted by RogueOracle (242 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blood1991 said:

I llike Jean, but I don't want her coming back just to die. It makes it hard to enjoy her character at all.

^^^^Pretty much this. She has a lot of potential but some writers just suck at handling her character.

#37 Posted by arcano_19 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much every other member is useless by comparison i want her back T_T

#38 Posted by Crimsonlord53 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

No she is not.

All she needs is a writing team that has a decent vision for her. So please marvel let jean have grown up a lot in the time she spent in the white hot room. Don't have her be a chew toy between scott and logan no more being the damsel in distress her power level alone should have her fairing better in the current marvel U. That's what I'd like to see for a start if she comes back and stays back.

#39 Posted by oviouslyjeangrey (400 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope not useless VERY important. If you like jean grey or not u cant deny that she is really important not just in X-men but pretty much all of marvel :D

#40 Posted by cbnnexus (77 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean Grey is not a useless character. What the writers have done with her in the last ten years is pretty useless though. She should never have died after her initial "resurrection" when the Fantastic Four found her underwater (in which case, she never actually "died" to begin with).

They've tried to replace her and/or her powers several times though, what with Rachel and somewhat with Hope and a bit with X-Man. Kill off all the "copies" and just bring back Jean Grey proper. Have her powers evolve at their own rate and leave the phoenix to its own devices. Unfortunately that's probably not going to happen now that she's the "White Phoenix of the Crown". *beats head on desk*

I think when Hope becomes the ultimate phoenix in the new Avengers vs X-Men storyline, that Jean will come back in some capacity and have her say. Probably some kind of deus ex machina to wrap up the story. While that's something I'm looking forward to, I just wish that Jean could come back and stay back. Maybe even retcon Cyclops/Emma's relationship. Yuck. Never meant to be in my opinion.

#41 Posted by PurpleFeather738 (35 posts) - - Show Bio

I completely hate Jean Grey but she is far form being useless! Many of the major X-men story arcs had her in the center of it all. So as much as a hate to admit it, Jean Grey is one of the most useful characters of the X-Men. Now Wolverine on the other hand..........

#42 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

Jean Grey is best as and should always be Phoenix.

#43 Posted by oviouslyjeangrey (400 posts) - - Show Bio

saying jean grey is useless is like saying scott is useless she is still useful now and she dead

#44 Posted by UltraBiel (328 posts) - - Show Bio

If Jean grey is useless Jubilee doesn't even exists! ¬¬"

#45 Posted by hyperbeing (382 posts) - - Show Bio

jean grey is far form useless.i mean even though her most notable feats are shown with phoenix she has been shown capapble of some of her power even without it.i mean she can still manipulate matter on a hight level and has pwowerful teleapthy. and its the fact she is a n omega elevel mutant that allows her to be able to withstand the forcei nt the fist place. i mena look at pylock or even rachel without the phoenix jean is cpaapble of there feats its just that she lacks some skill due to being dead more often then alive. but i do wonder where was her osul before endsong. also another axample of jeans potentiol is look at medalyne proir she is basicaly a more aggresive jean.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.