Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8003 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Does AvX & Warsong contradict the Beautiful Story of Endsong?

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By poisonfleur

So I was under the impression Phoenix and Jean are one. But Warsong and AvX clearly proves they are separate entities. Why would Marvel trample over such an amazing story such as Phoenix Endsong just to crank out abominations like warsong and avx???

It's like Endsong never even happened...

And are Jean and the Phoenix not one of the same after all?

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Madame_Mist

I seriously thought it was, and it would have been a beautiful conclusion and send off for Jean if it were her final appearance, but AvX is just confusing the frick out of me.

I pretend Warsong never happened because

a) You can't have an official Phoenix story without Jean Grey

b) it was weird as hell

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Crimsonlord53

I was thinking about this the other day I think it would be cool to see the dark phoenix/white crown jean start to show up to taunt/advise against the current P4 sorta like the old cartoon devil/angle on your shoulder. Heck even just have the phoenix force reference jean as being part of it.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

I can't remember Jean and Phoenix ever being established as one, beyond poetic or metaphorical phrasing. The Phoenix is a multiversal concept, the most in-tuned with the Phoenix I remember Jean being with, was her White Phoenix of the Crown state, and even then there were still multiple other Phoenix hosts functioning independent of Jean at that time. That being said the Phoenix is often inconsistent and retconned and such things happened way before Endsong and knowing Greg Pak, Endsong probably retconned stuff too. That also being said AvX is just really really... unfortunately consistency isn't a highlight.        

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By X35

i think i saw brevoort say somewhere that endsong "isn't canon"..............

Excella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Excella

If endsong wasn't canon then how do you explain the fragments that were in the Cuckoos?

AvX is a total mess they portray the Phoenix as a parasite bent on destroying the world, Tony and Steve have no idea what the Phoenix is and neither does Wolverine surprisingly that he was there the whole time to know of it yet in AvX they make it as if he think it's a total mass destruction force just wanting to swallow up Earth for breakfast.

So yes AvX contradicts Endsong. Emma couldn't house the Phoenix and all of a sudden she can? Along with the other 4, surprisingly they haven't turn into a Dark Phoenix case.

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

AvX is really ruining the phoenix force its sad D:

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

Endsong isn't canon?

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @oviouslyjeangrey said:

AvX is really ruining the phoenix force its sad D:

Yeah, I didn't like the fact that they used the Phoenix Force in AvX.
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@X35 said:

i think i saw brevoort say somewhere that endsong "isn't canon"..............

Yeah, that's what he said, then again, Brevoort is incappable of differentiating canon from non-canon. Just as long as the cheques come in, he's all for it and scoulding rightfully upset fans with condescending remarks. At least, this is what i'm getting from current observations.

I mean, we all know it actually it is, but he and the other brilliant editors of Marvel have deliberately gone out of their way to undo and ignore all the hard Phoenix work done by Claremont, Morrison, Pak and others.

He's really annoying.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

Can someone slash anyone provide a link to Brevoort's comments or know the source? I am just curious about what else he might have said? 

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By RainEffect

Wait, hold the phone!

Someone said Endsong isn't canon?

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By X35

@SC: Probably on his formspring. He's generally a no-knowledge annoying hack 24/7 on there uttering garbage about how "continuity isn't important" and that all that matters is "the story".

AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By AgeofHurricane

@RainEffect: Not "someone", just an editorial troll of and for the Jean Grey fans.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @X35: Cheers X35!  
    Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crimsonlord53

@X35 said:

@SC: Probably on his formspring. He's generally a no-knowledge annoying hack 24/7 on there uttering garbage about how "continuity isn't important" and that all that matters is "the story".

But without continuity there is no story.

No history to build on nothing to link the past to the present this hack is really a marvel editor.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Roddy010

@Excella said:

If endsong wasn't canon then how do you explain the fragments that were in the Cuckoos?

AvX is a total mess they portray the Phoenix as a parasite bent on destroying the world, Tony and Steve have no idea what the Phoenix is and neither does Wolverine surprisingly that he was there the whole time to know of it yet in AvX they make it as if he think it's a total mass destruction force just wanting to swallow up Earth for breakfast.

So yes AvX contradicts Endsong. Emma couldn't house the Phoenix and all of a sudden she can? Along with the other 4, surprisingly they haven't turn into a Dark Phoenix case.

That's because it was more of the force than the fragment she has now...It overwhelmed her...

I think it's quite sad what they have done to the X-men and their relationship to Phoenix. As someone already mentioned Wolverine acts as if he wasn't with Jean when she became Phoenix in New X-men. She saved his life when he nearly burned alive on the surface of the sun. Jean even went as far as to explain the nature of the Phoenix to Logan so he has a better understanding than most people about the force....He should've known the good that the force could bring...But I understand he was also there for Dark Phoenix so he also knows the destruction..But I feel he could have played a much better role than what writers have portrayed him in AvX...He could have definitely been the voice of reason instead of acting on instinct (attempting to kill Hope)...he could have shared his knowledge with Hope and gave her a better understanding to what Phoenix is and what it is capable of....

Excella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Excella

@Roddy010 said:

@Excella said:

That's because it was more of the force than the fragment she has now...It overwhelmed her...

I think it's quite sad what they have done to the X-men and their relationship to Phoenix. As someone already mentioned Wolverine acts as if he wasn't with Jean when she became Phoenix in New X-men. She saved his life when he nearly burned alive on the surface of the sun. Jean even went as far as to explain the nature of the Phoenix to Logan so he has a better understanding than most people about the force....He should've known the good that the force could bring...But I understand he was also there for Dark Phoenix so he also knows the destruction..But I feel he could have played a much better role than what writers have portrayed him in AvX...He could have definitely been the voice of reason instead of acting on instinct (attempting to kill Hope)...he could have shared his knowledge with Hope and gave her a better understanding to what Phoenix is and what it is capable of....

I'm starting to see that, but even a little piece should be overwhelming.

Exactly couldn't have put it any better. The writing in AvX is a flop.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Roddy010

@Excella:

Indeed...I feel they could have given this book a more emotional and dramatic approach as the other Phoenix stories...It's mostly filled with war and senseless violence...I do enjoy some of the stories like Uncanny but the main storiy could have definitely been better. I wonder what the story would have been like if they had Grant Morrison, Claremont, Lee, and Weddon together on this event...The story would have been more interesting imho....

Excella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Excella

@Roddy010 said:

@Excella:

Indeed...I feel they could have given this book a more emotional and dramatic approach as the other Phoenix stories...It's mostly filled with war and senseless violence...I do enjoy some of the stories like Uncanny but the main storiy could have definitely been better. I wonder what the story would have been like if they had Grant Morrison, Claremont, Lee, and Weddon together on this event...The story would have been more interesting imho....

He is perfection! Even if the art in his run was kinda everywhere, it fitted the tone so well though. Plus when he gave Jean a fare well off it was really emotional. I cried, well like one tear came down lol.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Roddy010

@Excella said:

@Roddy010 said:

@Excella:

He is perfection! Even if the art in his run was kinda everywhere, it fitted the tone so well though. Plus when he gave Jean a fare well off it was really emotional. I cried, well like one tear came down lol.

Lol I know the feeling...I loved when she saved the team right before she transcended into the White Hot Room. I also like the fact that he referenced Jean and Ororo's sisterhood..Most writers seem to forget about that.

Excella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Excella

@Roddy010 said:

@Excella said:

@Roddy010 said:

@Excella:

Lol I know the feeling...I loved when she saved the team right before she transcended into the White Hot Room. I also like the fact that he referenced Jean and Ororo's sisterhood..Most writers seem to forget about that.

Woohoo lol. I remember that! Everyone was wondering what happened, Beast had to be all technical and try to elaborate everything, and there, Storm was "Sister.". I remember seeing a scan somewhere where Jean was trying to help Storm adjust to the normal civilized world and Storm showed up naked or something and Jean spat her drink lol

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Madame_Mist said:

I seriously thought it was, and it would have been a beautiful conclusion and send off for Jean if it were her final appearance, but AvX is just confusing the frick out of me.

b) it was weird as hell

totally agree phoenix without jean grey is weird as hell

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Rabbitearsblog
    @HopesummersFORtheFUTURE said:

@Madame_Mist said:

b) it was weird as hell

totally agree phoenix without jean grey is weird as hell

I agree also. I've always found the Phoenix story lines to make more sense when Jean Grey is involved since she was the first character to experience the force.
    X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By X35

Brevoort let loose this pithy statement regarding Jean Grey fans and the "White Hot Room":

It's a concept that Greg Pak created for PHOENIX: ENDSONG and it's the lifeboat that Jean Grey fans cling to in their unrelenting insistence that the character is still alive despite all evidence and assurances to the contrary. So it is therefore the greatest story ever written, despite being drawn by Greg Land, whom another faction of humanity hates with a burning passion for no discernible reason. Comics!
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Mercy_

@X35 said:

Tom B. let loose this pithy statement regarding Jean Grey fans and the "White Hot Room":

It's a concept that Greg Pak created for PHOENIX: ENDSONG and it's the lifeboat that Jean Grey fans cling to in their unrelenting insistence that the character is still alive despite all evidence and assurances to the contrary. So it is therefore the greatest story ever written, despite being drawn by Greg Land, whom another faction of humanity hates with a burning passion for no discernible reason. Comics!

LMFAO. This may be my favorite thing he's ever said...

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Madame_Mist

@X35 said:

Brevoort let loose this pithy statement regarding Jean Grey fans and the "White Hot Room":

LOL. Well, she's coming back anyways....just not in a grand Phoenix style. No complaints. That damn bird just won't go away.

She's coming back via time travel but I'll take what I can get.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.