Follow

Jean Grey

Character » Jean Grey appears in 8002 issues.

Jean Grey was one of the five original X-Men. An omega-level mutant telepath and powerful telekinetic, Jean has gained near limitless powers as a recurrent host of the Phoenix Force. She is known for her return from death and as the wife of Cyclops.

Any good Jean Grey comics?

RizeOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RizeOracle

I haven't read much XMen (probably due to my thorough hatred of Wolverine) but I am a big fan of Jean Grey.

Could anyone whom is better versed in the X Universe suggest some good issues/ series which FOCUS on Jean. I am aware of Phoenix Endsong and Warsong, are these any good?

I would prefer suggestions which are post the year 2000, if possible. Also, are there any particularly good interactions between Jean and Psylocke and/ or Susan Storm?

Thank you :)

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@RizeOracle: Endsong is probably the definitive Jean Grey story besides The Phoenix and Dark Phoenix saga.

Give it a try, it's really good and the art is very easy on the eyes (the artist is another story, but whatever).

You should really give her Phoenix sagas a chance though, they are pretty good.

Oh yeah.. Warsong isn't really about Jean Grey, just about the Phoenix Force.

RizeOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RizeOracle

@FalconPuuunch: Okay, thank you for the advice!

Are the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix sagas the (how shall I say?) 'classic' style artwork? The stories sound good, but I find older style comics harder to read.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Phoenix and Dark Phoenix are from the 80's. So, yeah.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@RizeOracle said:

@FalconPuuunch: Okay, thank you for the advice!

Are the Phoenix and Dark Phoenix sagas the (how shall I say?) 'classic' style artwork? The stories sound good, but I find older style comics harder to read.

The original artwork is 80's style (which I sort of hate too) but there is a 30 year anniversary version that is reprinted and easier to read.

The problem with your requirements is that Jean Grey was more... "active" in the 80's-90's comics. She has been alive in the 2000s but the storylines aren't really memorable. I think she died just before Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men (which is when the X-Men got interesting again and the art started picking up.)

If you are really interested in reading about modern Jean Grey, I suggest you check out Ultimate X-Men. Ultimate X-Men is an alternate universe, but the art is modern and it has a place to start as well as an ending. Jean Grey is also one of the main characters and had a lot of character development within the series. I really really enjoyed it, maybe you will too.

Also, if you do decide to check out Ult. X-Men, make sure you start from the very first series which started out in like 2001. The series renumbered in 2012 so it can get confusing.

Ultimate X-Men

EDIT: I also just remembered that Marvel brought Jean back (in the main 616 universe). The series just started and it sounds pretty interesting. Here is the summary if you're interested.

Michael Bendis takes over the flagship X-Men book with All New X-Men. Which brings the Lee/Kirby original 5 X-Men to the present to see what has become of the X-Men and what has happened to Xavier’s dream. A young Jean Grey will see what happened to her in the present and what she will do to change it.
    After the events of Avengers VS. X-men, and Cyclops becoming a fugitive, Beast takes the idea of Iceman of confronting Scott with his past self. After realising that he is going to die as result of his mutation, Beast uses Dr. Doom´s time machine to travel to the past and convinces the original X-men to come to the future (Hank´s present) to confront Scott. After some hesitation, the young X-men decides to go back with him. After arriving to the present, Jean telepathic powers turn on (she is pulled from a past where those abilities were shut down by Xavier) and she learns about most of the things that are going on in the present, confirming Beast´s story. Despite Wolverine´s initial plan to return the young x-men to the past, Jean puts him to sleep and the X-men steal a blackbird to locate and confront the Future Cyclops. During the confrontation between them and Cyclops, who is with Magneto, Jean gets to read the mind of present day Scott, and learns that he killed Xavier, prompting a battle between the two teams, ending in Magneto orders Magik to retrieve them
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6  Edited By AgeofHurricane

Read the entirety of Grant Morrison's New X-Men run, also prior to that, read Claremont's little Revolution arc called Eve of Destruction which features Jean leading her own team. Nice read.

But you shouldn't read the latest All New X-Men title out, it's really bad.

Avatar image for oviouslyjeangrey
    oviouslyjeangrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oviouslyjeangrey

@AgeofHurricane: I love All New X-men.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Madame_Mist

Jean Grey Origins is pretty good and the art is great to look at. It's a great Jean one-shot.

RizeOracle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RizeOracle

Hey guys! Thank you for all the great suggestions. I've picked up a couple of 'Endsong' issues to start with, and will try out all your other suggestions as well.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RizeOracle said:

I haven't read much XMen (probably due to my thorough hatred of Wolverine) but I am a big fan of Jean Grey.

Could anyone whom is better versed in the X Universe suggest some good issues/ series which FOCUS on Jean. I am aware of Phoenix Endsong and Warsong, are these any good?

I would prefer suggestions which are post the year 2000, if possible. Also, are there any particularly good interactions between Jean and Psylocke and/ or Susan Storm?

Thank you :)

endsong was good but warsong is about emma and the stepford cuckoos.....

i dont know what was good maybe phoenix raising, inferno but its hard to get the graphic novel

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some great stories that feature her very prominently, even though she was sharing the spotlight: "Classic X-Men First Friends", "The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix" and there was another one that was pretty good - it involved Cyclops and Jean going into an alternate dimension a mutant had created after a fatal car crash. Jean helps the woman come to terms with the loss of her family.

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what if phoenix fell in love with wolverine.....lol....its ok but a what if

HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ApatheticAvengersaid:

That one where she dies?

ummm to quote beast "which time".......lol

:

rejected_stone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sorry to bring back such an old thread but I'm looking to buy the complete Phoenix story. From my understanding Phoenix Saga and then Dark Phoenix and then Endsong?

It seems that i can't find anything called Phoenix Saga just the Dark Phoenix Saga am I missing something or is it just really hard to find?

darthphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

x-men 281 one of my fave jean moments

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.