1 2 3 Jean Greys? (Spoilers!!)

#1 Posted by jwayneyo (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just wondering if anybody has noticed that after nearly a decade of Jean Grey's absence from the comics that in the 616 universe there are now 3 active versions of Jean Grey (Well two if you count Madelyne Pryor as completely separate from Jean). And all seem to be extremely powerful psys (more so than how Jean Grey is usually portrayed), at least to a point of being in their own league above other psychics. We have O5 Jean grey who has recently developed a new power and put a beat down on Gladiator, Lady Xorn (beat Emma and the cuckoos single-handedly as well as a phoenix avatar), and the newly revived Madelyne Pryor who effortlessly beat Rachel Grey.

#2 Posted by LordOfAllHumans (4434 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwayneyo said:

I was just wondering if anybody has noticed that after nearly a decade of Jean Grey's absence from the comics that in the 616 universe there are now 3 active versions of Jean Grey (Well two if you count Madelyne Pryor as completely separate from Jean). And all seem to be extremely powerful psys (more so than how Jean Grey is usually portrayed), at least to a point of being in their own league above other psychics. We have O5 Jean grey who has recently developed a new power and put a beat down on Gladiator, Lady Xorn (beat Emma and the cuckoos single-handedly as well as a phoenix avatar), and the newly revived Madelyne Pryor who effortlessly beat Rachel Grey.

The original Jean was also in a league of her own above other psychics. Where do people get that she was somehow weaker than her derivatives? She was not the second most powerful telepath on Earth for nothing, it was well established for decades, even when the world was full of telepaths, mutant and non-mutant alike. Xavier also knew she had more power than him and would one day surpass him.

O5 Jeans "new" power is not really that new, all telepaths draw psionic energy from outside of themselves, usually from the astral plane, O5 Jean is just using a different source, and is basically some kind of psi leech like Exodus, as he too steals the psi energy of others to use as his own. Adult Jean has also powered up and become engulfed in her pink psi signature. O5 Jean is 616 Jean, so it's not possible for her to have more power or potential than herself. She is untrained and less likely to hold back so she is using her powers differently.

Emma with her telepathy single-handedly over powered the hive mind of 1000 Cuckoos, and she is not even Jean level in telepathy power-wise, and Jean without tapping the Phoenix overpowered Emma when she was possessed by the Phoenix.

It was never a secret that Jean is more powerful and more skilled than Rachel, so she too would be able to do exactly what Maddie did.

#3 Posted by jwayneyo (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I get what you are saying. I love the original Jean Grey and she was very powerful while she was alive but for much of her career she wasn't displayed as an utter powerhouse. She was shown as being a powerful and skilled telepath and adept telekinetic, but never really showed the omega level potential that I expected from her. It was like she had flashes of glory, but then she'd level off like when she telepathically separated Apocalypse from Cyclops or telekinetically held Avalon together. I think that is the reason I loved Morrison's Jean Grey because her potential started to shine.

All the ones I have mentioned (Lady Xorn, O5 Jean Grey, and Madelyne Pryor) are essentially different versions of the 616 Jean Grey and have her same potential and powers. They show how powerful our Jean Grey would have seemed (I say seemed because she already was that powerful) if she were more aggressive, that she is in no way the push over that some people think she is. Her kind-nature and almost fear of her powers (until the Morrison run) made her seem weaker and less dangerous of an omega-level mutant. Lady Xorn and them do not have those qualities so 616 Jean's true power is in a way shown through them.

And 05 Jean maybe turning into a psy leech, but I am hoping that it is a legitimate new power. Like explain that our Jean Grey always had the ability but only passively as for some unexplained reason, our Jean never actively manifested it. I feel like this "new" ability might also explain why Jean attracts the Phoenix so much. Phoenix being a force made of and is the origin of all psy energy bonding with an omega level mutant that has complete control over psy energy. I don't know, I want to see how this plays out.

#4 Posted by darthphoenix (985 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwayneyo: Maddie did a blind attack on Rachel. It wouldnt have happened if it was a face to face battle

#5 Posted by jwayneyo (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, that is a good point. It makes me wonder how powerful Maddie really is since her resurrection.

#6 Posted by anjuwayo (57 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the writers realise that Rachel is as powerful or even more than the Phoenix... She is the daughter of the Phoenix force itself... Maddi is the lliving fragment of the phoenix force... Jean is the phoenix force itself... The 4 are equal in power and will live on 4ever in the WhiteHotRoom...

#7 Posted by TrekGrey (67 posts) - - Show Bio

rachel is's not more powerful than the Phoenix Force... PF as WPOC is near omnipotent. Is like saying that Nate Grey is near omnipotent, which is not true. Maybe a fragment?

#8 Posted by Squares (8392 posts) - - Show Bio

@anjuwayo: Don't use numbers in place of letters, it looks silly.

#9 Posted by darthphoenix (985 posts) - - Show Bio

I think rachel is more powerful and skilled than maddie. Maddie never had training and i think she is not an omega level mutant. I think clones are weaker. Like a product from any country is better than a rip off from China

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.