Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Why does Jason Todd wear a red bat symbol?

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Skunkstein

If Jason todd wants nothing to do with the Bat-family and Gotham in general why does he wear a red bat symbol? Ive heard Scott Lobdell saying its because he is being ironic, like an anarchist wearing military symbols etc.

I guess i can buy that, it sounds like a Jason like reasoning, but is it every technically explained in the comic books why he wears it? I havent read much of Red Hood and the outlaws, so im not sure how much is explained there.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By 2chimcha3

Someone gave a good explanation for this before. He/she said that the symbol was almost like a gang symbol to strike fear into others. People who see it know that if they mess with Jason, Batman will get involved.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By danhimself

the reason behind it is because he's wearing one of Nightwing's old costumes....Starfire had a bunch of Dick's old suits in her ship so whenever she rescued Jason and he needed something to wear that's what he put on and he's been wearing it ever since

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By KnightRise

@danhimself said:

the reason behind it is because he's wearing one of Nightwing's old costumes....Starfire had a bunch of Dick's old suits in her ship so whenever she rescued Jason and he needed something to wear that's what he put on and he's been wearing it ever since

Yep.

@Skunkstein: New-52 Jason doesn't exactly want nothing to do with the Bat-family. They've been interacting here and there

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Superdork

@danhimself said:

Also, to piss the Bat-family off

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Cap10nate

So that when people look at his costume on the the cover of RHATO, they see the symbol and associate him with Batman in a hope to drive sales since Red Hood isn't as synonomous with Batman as Robin , Batgirl, or even Nightwing.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Cap10nate: He is though, he's a member of Batman Inc, he helped the bat fam out during the Night of Owls and Death of the Familly also Tim and Jason have been working together passing each other information

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By danhimself

@KnightRise said:

@danhimself said:

Yep.

@Skunkstein: New-52 Jason doesn't exactly want nothing to do with the Bat-family. They've been interacting here and there

he says he doesn't but he sure is in Gotham a lot

Skunkstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Skunkstein

@danhimself said:

Right, that makes sense.

@KnightRise: @Superdork: Gotcha... ive felt that Jason was the unofficial bat-member... especially after flashpoint. It also feels like Bruce and Jasons relationship, while still troublesome, have been soften up in new 52.

I honestly like Jason a whole lot more in the last year than i had previously.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@Skunkstein: Well in the New 52 I think he's trying to reform and be more with the Bat-Family.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By daredevil21134

I hate it

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JohnnyGat

The meaning behind it is that there is no meaning. It was a convenient costume he could wear when he was left naked in Starfire's island. The way Lobdell developed Jason was more in lines of Jason moving on from feeling betrayed by Bruce.

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JohnnyGat

@Skunkstein said:

@danhimself said:

Right, that makes sense.

@KnightRise: @Superdork: Gotcha... ive felt that Jason was the unofficial bat-member... especially after flashpoint. It also feels like Bruce and Jasons relationship, while still troublesome, have been soften up in new 52.

The fact that Batman trusted Jason enough in Batman Inc really does drive the point that Bruce and Jason are on less rocky grounds.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KnightRise

@JohnnyGat said:

@Skunkstein said:

@danhimself said:

Right, that makes sense.

The fact that Batman trusted Jason enough in Batman Inc really does drive the point that Bruce and Jason are on less rocky grounds.

I wish they explained that more. Jason used the phrase "pretended to love me" as recent as issue 8 yet he's been in the Batcave-under neccesary circumstance-but still...

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By entropy_aegis

I dont know the story explanation but it seems pretty obvious,when people look at Jason they'll automatically associate him with Batman.It's a business strategy nothing more.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daredevil21134

@entropy_aegis said:

I dont know the story explanation but it seems pretty obvious,when people look at Jason they'll automatically associate him with Batman.It's a business strategy nothing more.

Exactly

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By consolemaster001

REDemption

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Anyone else find it creepy that Nightwing's ex still keeps all of his old costumes like a stalker?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By daredevil21134

Its a lame marketing tool.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't think enough has been made of the fact that Jason has been willingly giving away his happiest memories (he does so in an early arc of Red Hood and the Outlaws), which are implied to be of his time with Bruce. I think this is what mellowed him toward the Bat Family. He didn't feel as betrayed because he didn't feel as connected. This allowed him enough distance to kind of/sort of return. It's a very interesting concept.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By daredevil21134

He's better off alone imo

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.