Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Thoughts On : Jason Todd

Chicago_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Chicago_Bruce

At first, I did not think very much of Jason Todd. For a long time, I was on team "Get rid of him!" For me, Dick Grayson was the only Robin I wanted and severely disliked the idea of some other kid coming in to replace him.

It has taken me X-amount of years and five Robins later to finally come around regarding Jason.

Trauma and Child Abuse

First, we have to see things from Jason's point of view, by understanding the time-line of his life. As we learn from Battle For the Cowl #3, Jason has been the victim of some undisclosed "trauma" from his childhood.

Jason, by now you've been told of my death. And you're probably surprised o be invited back to the save. But like Tim and Dick, I'm leaving you with the one thing I can't give anymore. Advice.

Of all my failures, you have been my biggest. I take full responsibility for your wayward and self-destructive path in life.

You were broken, and I thought I could put the pieces back together. I thought I could do for you what could never be done for me. Make you whole.

What happened to you as a child ... the terror, the pain, the horrors. But that secret is one that neither of us should have kept. You needed repair, and instead I gave you an outlet to act out on. For that, I apologize. But it's not too late for you to get the proper healing you never received. It's not too late for me to help you. It's time for you to stop what you're doing. Alfred knows of a brilliant doctor who- 

This could mean many things, but let us for the moment assume that Jason was the subject of abuse. Be it physical or emotional or something darker, the subject of abuse so often seems to be underplayed. When someone says they were abused as a child, it is almost impossible (except for the professionally trained) to acknowledge properly what that child has been through. Unfortunately some people address the idea of abuse as something people should get over; suggesting it is not something important. But that is one of the reasons why abuse is so hurtful, the victim, in this case, the Jason Todd as a child would understand that the abuse he suffered isn't important, that he, isn't important.

And while I could go on regarding the subject of child abuse in general, until we know what exactly happened to Jason, it is best to move on to other points.

The Second Son

Whatever life Jason had before Bruce, was certainly a nasty one; it made him hardened from an early age. When he came into the Wayne household, he was being offered a new life, with wealth, resources and privileges he had never known before. Though what mattered most to Jason, was having Bruce in his life. Having an adult, a father figure, family care about him - love him - protect him. It makes sense that this would be something he would value more then money, if he came from an abusive family.

However the "every orphans dream" utopia of having a family that cared about him, came at a price. He would have to follow Bruce's rules, which at first was easy enough. Jason didn't want to disappoint Bruce, he (like those before, and after him) wanted to impress Bruce, impress Batman. But this was proved not only difficult, but impossible in some regards. Jason couldn't play upon his own strengths and talents while 1) following Bruce's rules or 2) acting as Dick Grayson's Robin.

Being the "replacement" to Dick Grayson, the golden son, was probably the most physiologically frustrating. Not only was Jason living in Batman's shadow, but also Dick Grayson's Robin. As a requirement to even join Batman as Robin meant Jason had to dye his red-hair, black. He was meant to be the Robin that Dick had created, rather then one of his own making.

Not only this, but Jason had little to no relationship with Dick (essentially his brother). It would be like going into work and being told you are replacing Mr. G, but you've never actually met the guy and don't know what his job responsibilities are. You are being set up for failure, just like Jason.

And so he is, in a family of black sheep, he is red. Jason has no connection to Dick at this point in his life, and later (after his resurrection) still has no ties to his other "brothers", Tim or Damian.

Loving Someone Who Hurts You

• Mother

Regardless of past abuse, Jason still wants to go to his mother and save her. But the woman only cares about using him and though she gives him over to The Joker for his crowbar beating, Jason still manages to pull himself up, go to her side in attempts to set her free. She doesn't deserve a son as good as Jason, but Jason is also confused about love. It continues to support my argument of childhood abuse, as it is a classic example allowing your abuser to continue to hurt you in hopes that it will prove just how much you love them. A twisted and sad state of logic which Jason should have gotten help for, before now. But this is his struggle, because Jason wants to help his family, who in return, only want to hurt him.

• Joker

Alright, so obviously Jason doesn't love The Joker. The psycho killed him after all, and yet at some point Jason decided to emulate The Joker by becoming the Red Hood. He made it into his own, but the underlying problem remains, Jason doesn't have an identity of his own, but rather adapts and adopts what is already around him (I'll get into this further on, later).

• Bruce

Though physically abused or manipulated by his parents or The Joker, Jason has the biggest love-hate relationship with Bruce. His life with Bruce at the manor was a place of refuge. It was where he probably first felt safe in his life. It was also probably where he first dared to feel loved. This was no easy responsibility and Bruce should have known better then to put Jason in a situation where he falls back into old habits; being the subject of abuse and manipulation.

Medical Effects

It is a recurring theme and utter joy for The Joker to hurt children with excessive violence. We have since seen it time and time again, but in the day, seeing The Joker beat Jason with a crowbar is truly a horrific image (even though we never see it directly). Considering that a crowbar is mostly a blunt, but solidly made tool, we are left to imagine that being beaten with one would be an extremely painful experience. I cannot help but use the dialogue in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves for this analogy:

Sheriff of Nottingham: Locksley! I'm gonna cut your heart out with a spoon.
        Guy of Gisbourne: Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?
        Sheriff of Nottingham: Because it's dull, you twit, it'll hurt more.

Except that crowbars also have a hooked end, similar to hammers. On hammers, it is meant to pull nails out of walls. On crowbars, it is meant to peel back metal or wood. But on a boy? It would likely have pulled back skin and muscle, breaking bones and causing unfathomable amount of damage. I say unfathomable, because honestly, I don't want to think about it. My wife often works in the ER and comes home with some horrific stories; imaging real-life medical effects to this sort of beating it simply horrific.

Not Avenged

This seems to be Jason's biggest disappointment in Bruce. Not that he died in the first place, but that he was not avenged. From his point of view, he was "saved" by the enemy when he was resorted to life, when Talia put him in the Lazarus pit. I think t is when Talia tells Jason that The Joker, his murderer, still lives, Jason felt truly betrayed. Like companions to The Doctor, in Doctor Who, Jason thought he was special. Instead, Jason feels displaced, rejected by Bruce, not important enough. So he does not return to Bruce after his resurrection. He tries to go his own way, but as he discovers, he cannot overcome the need to bring justice to the world. However now that he has the freedom to do so 1) no longer following Bruce's rules and 2) no longer playing the part of Robin, Jason is able to cultivate his own brand of justice.

And yet he is still living in the shadow of those who came before him. Jason cannot make an identity for himself, only adopt ones already in existence. As seen by his becoming Red Hood (formerly Joker), Nightwing (formerly Dick Grayson), or Batman (formerly Bruce Wayne). Over the years Jason experiments with these costumes and personas, trying to figure out who he is. And yet it appears he is still very much defined by his relationship with Bruce. He is still trying to be a hero. Though no longer follows Bruce's code when it comes to killing. Just as Dexter is a serial killer who kills other serial killers, Jason kills other killers. For his logic, this is justice.

The Future of Jason Todd

I have come around in regards to Jason Todd. He is a fantastic character and I am looking forward to following him as he continues to make guest appearances in Batman & Robin, Detective Comics, Batman, Red Robin, Gotham City Sirens, or his own spin-off, Red Hood.

While Dick Grayson will always be Bruce's golden son and favorite, I am very pleased to see Jason Todd written with depth and internal conflict. He has become an interesting character that after X-amount of years, I am finally invested in!

Good luck Jason Todd. We'll be watching.
    Dr. Maxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Dr. Maxwell

excellent blog, nice job

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By daredevil21134
    very very great blog well thought and written you make so many valid points  i am a huge jason todd fan he is my favorite dc character and its good to see someone try to understand him before judging him thank you so much i cant wait till the under the hood movie long live JASON!
    lostlantern13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By lostlantern13

Wow, that was a really good read.  Kudos. 

I have come around on Jason Todd because I think he works so well as a villain for Batman. Most villains with Bats draws on some aspect of his character/personality. I love that Jason represents this big, personal failure to Bruce and how he's apart of that family. I know he's been "Red Hood," but I loved his dark, twisted version of the Batsuit.

Chicago_Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Chicago_Bruce

@Dr. Maxwell: 
    Thanks for taking the time to read and comment :)

@daredevil21134: 

its good to see someone try to understand him before judging him

Like I said, it has taken me many years and 5 Robins later, but I am finally becoming interested in Jason. People give him alot of grief (I know, because I used to be one of those people), but I think he is coming along as a very well-developed character. It's good to see and I feel a bit bad for hating him for all these years; as in some ways his tragedy is more then even Bruce Wayne, if only because no one is sympathetic to him.

@lostlantern13: 
    Villain or chaotic-neutral, I agree. You can see where Jason tries to do the right thing ... but his methods are just too violent for the rest of the Bat-Family. Which is saying something.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By daredevil21134
    I really dont consider Jason todd a villan he kills but like the blog says he kills bad people yes he will hurt good people if they get in his way of justice but i dont consider him a villan i would say he is the same as the punisher morale the punisher has shot heroes like daredevil spiderman etc  but he is considered an anti hero

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.