Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

The Official Red Hood/Jason Todd Discussion Thread.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I'll cosign on the idea that Kyle Higgins should be one of the writers considered for a Red Hood book, I thought the fact that he made a solid Nightwing run despite all of the editorial interference leads me to believe that he should get more work. One of the things I liked most about his Nightwing run was that he really had a good grasp on the character and once DC editorial stopped dragging around Dick Grayson, Kyle was able to write the Nightwing book that I've always wanted which was essentially DCU's version of Spider-Man.

I think that if Higgins were to get a hold of Jason, he would have a solid grasp on the character and understand what tone a Jason Todd book should have and I think many of us would get the Red Hood book we always wanted.

Interesting but I heard negative things about his Deathstroke book

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#352  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@daredevil21134: I haven't read his Deathstroke book (I've read bits of his Batman Beyond) so I can't say from personal experience about his Deathstroke run. When I looked at most of the reviews on comicvine, they were actually very enthusiastic about Higgin's run, mainly they complimented the depth of which Kyle Higgins explored Deathstroke as well as how much fun it was to read with all of the action and violence. There seemed to be a certain fragment of the fanbase that thought he was ruining Deathstroke by turning him into a generic stereotypical badass. Again, I haven't read it so I can't possibly form an opinion to present to you. But he was pretty solid in Nightwing and Batman Beyond, so at worst he's 2/3.

But of course Rob Liefeld took over Deathstroke and well, you could probably guess how that went.

There's no pic of Helena and Dick here.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: I haven't read his Deathstroke book (I've read bits of his Batman Beyond) so I can't say from personal experience about his Deathstroke run. When I looked at most of the reviews on comicvine, they were actually very enthusiastic about Higgin's run, mainly they complimented the depth of which Kyle Higgins explored Deathstroke as well as how much fun it was to read with all of the action and violence. There seemed to be a certain fragment of the fanbase that thought he was ruining Deathstroke by turning him into a generic stereotypical badass. Again, I haven't read it so I can't possibly form an opinion to present to you. But he was pretty solid in Nightwing and Batman Beyond, so at worst he's 2/3.

But of course Rob Liefeld took over Deathstroke and well, you could probably guess how that went.

There's no pic of Helena and Dick here.

Hahahaha!!You got me with that one lol!!

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
    midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody read the RHatO: FE book yet. I would that concept for a Jason Todd solo. I dont wanna be the first one to spoil anything i'll just wait until more people read the book to discuss.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slonewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slonewolf: That's the only thing I didn't like about it,but this is how Jason should be written.I think they made him say he doesn't like doing this to make him seem more like a hero.This was an awesome book.

Slonewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: I can respect that.

I liked Roy in it too.I just think Kory is out of place.Jason and Roy are street level heroes that should be taking out the scum of the earth.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did you guys like Jason's white streak in his hair ?

I personally found it badass.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did you guys like Jason's white streak in his hair ?

I personally found it badass.

It was cool

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy Batman this is good stuff. Don't think i've liked the character this much since Under the Hood. I understand where @slonewolf is coming from however, as I to couldn't see Jason being this way all the time; and it was the same with Under the Hood.

@midnightdragon18 the white streak is better than that lame excuse that he dies his hair black, which made absolutely no sense.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slonewolf: yup this is Jason I want miserable, lonesome, and on the run like a hunted dog.

Its the same Jason I saw in lost days and its the same Jason I saw in under the red hood and its the same Jason I want back.

p.s Starfire....hmmm God I hope there going in this direction

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nathaniel_christopher: In under The Hood,he seemed a little more happier

@slonewolf: yup this is Jason I want miserable, lonesome, and on the run like a hunted dog.

Its the same Jason I saw in lost days and its the same Jason I saw in under the red hood and its the same Jason I want back.

p.s Starfire....hmmm God I hope there going in this direction

I think he was a little more charming in Lost Days though. What about Starfire?

Slonewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeofvibe: I also enjoyed Lost Days and UTRH. I think he still has that mindset, but I wouldn't erase all the progress he has made because of Roy and Kori. Speaking of her, I can see that becoming a storyline when the series is nearly finished. Hopefully not anytime soon because I enjoy the three of them together; I wish their holiday annual can come sooner.

@midnightdragon18: Even though I can always count on fan-art, his white streak (and natural dark hair) was amazing. I wish DC would include it in his actual book.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeofvibe: I also enjoyed Lost Days and UTRH. I think he still has that mindset, but I wouldn't erase all the progress he has made because of Roy and Kori. Speaking of her, I can see that becoming a storyline when the series is nearly finished. Hopefully not anytime soon because I enjoy the three of them together; I wish their holiday annual can come sooner.

@midnightdragon18: Even though I can always count on fan-art, his white streak (and natural dark hair) was amazing. I wish DC would include it in his actual book.

They're pretty cool together when the writing is good and I can't say that has been the case lately.As for the Christmas issue,it could be interesting but I really don't wanna see it get too cheery,which I don't think will be the case.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slonewolf: I really want it to be apart of his design, also i want his hair to be slightly longer.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: it is revealed in the issue that he "ahem" marrys starfire

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: it is revealed in the issue that he "ahem" marrys starfire

He said divorce but I was thinking divorce from their friendship but it's not too far fetched to believed they get married

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real stupid question, but that katana on Jason's back. Is that his All Blade? if so, did he have 2?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real stupid question, but that katana on Jason's back. Is that his All Blade? if so, did he have 2?

I thought it was a regular katana,he usually makes the all blades just appear

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 yeah in Under the Red Hood he was probably a little happier than this, where he now looks like he's ready to die, but not much happier all things considered. I couldn't imagine him always being like this, and it'd be just as bad as after Under the Red Hood where he was hopping around everywhere whining about his problems.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks like something i must read.

Fianlly they will Jason be Jason.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 yeah in Under the Red Hood he was probably a little happier than this, where he now looks like he's ready to die, but not much happier all things considered. I couldn't imagine him always being like this, and it'd be just as bad as after Under the Red Hood where he was hopping around everywhere whining about his problems.

I agree.

It looks like something i must read.

Fianlly they will Jason be Jason.

It was good man

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#379  Edited By youknowwhattodo

Guys, if you're going to respond to a post that has a lot of big pictures, for the love of God, don't quote the thing, just reply, my middle finger is strained from scrolling down so much.

If anyone has heard me talk about Jason, you probably have an idea of my overall opinion and you're not wrong.

This was probably my favorite comic that involved Jason in the new 52 and really my favorite since Morrion's Batman & Robin run. It's not just that he's a darker character, but he still has humanity, he's not a complete psycho and he still has that sense of humor that think would really help relieve the tension of a dark Jason book. This was really the first time, in a long time that we've seen any member of RHATO actually be....an outlaw, there are many definitions of the word "outlaw", most commonly it refers to someone on the run from the law, my definition is that it is someone who is an habitual criminal who is on the run from the law. The way RHATO has been a lot of the time is that these guys are more "outcasts", but not "outlaws". It would be like having the Teen Titans rostered by middle-aged heroes.

The story itself was pretty straightforward but I thought it was written well, Lobdell did a great job with the Jason internal monologue, even if it was a little repetitive. The way RHATO split up made sense, I like the fact that Kori was no where to found in this issue, it would have really jerked the narrative and tone had she made an appearance. I actually loved the idea of Jason putting a cloak or shroud (forgot what it was) over the "sinners" and he gave them 12 hours to clean up their act or else he'd kill him and he wasn't a psychopath, he killed because it was his duty nothing more. There were actually quite a bit of dark humor throughout the book from the divorce line by Jason (which by the way I have to mention was an example of Jason Todd humor, I highly doubt that Jason and Kori got married and then divorced and then Jason got weaponry through alimony, trust me when I say, don't look too much into it lol). It was funny how as the issue progressed, the weaponry got more and more over the top. I did actually feel the tension at the end between Jason and Roy but I'm glad that it ended the way it did, which was Jason winning.

While I don't want this art to be the art for a whole series, I did think that it worked well with the tone of this book, a lot of Future's End tie-ins have had artwork that is almost purposefully not-beautiful and it works for the tie-ins.

Once again, I'm disappointed in IGN, a lot of their FE:Tie-in reviews have been very poorly-made from Grayson getting an unacceptable 4.5 to RHATO getting a 4.8, each with a rather shallow paragraph to explain the rating.

In terms of Jason being miserable and lonely, I agree with the notion that even in a dark Jason book, he doesn't have to be miserable and lonely THE WHOLE TIME, I want him to find some solace and develop but I want him to still be a dark character not just a bad-boy version of Dick Grayson. I don't mind him actually meeting people, I just want him to meet characters that are just as dark as he is, in other words no Starfire, no Supergirl, no Batgirl, no Garth, no Donna Troy, no Kyle Rayner, none of that crap. By meeting characters who are as dark as he is (not necessarily broken because 90% of the DCU have broken childhoods), he will find respite for his misery.

Since I believe these Future's End tie-ins are just darts being thrown by DC to see which ideas readers will like, I really hope they stick with this one for the most part.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Jason was terrible in Morrison's Batman and Robin, better than things like Nightwing and Countdown to Final Crisis, but not by much.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#381  Edited By youknowwhattodo
    @nathaniel_christopher said:

I thought Jason was terrible in Morrison's Batman and Robin, better than things like Nightwing and Countdown to Final Crisis, but not by much.

No Caption Provided

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo said:
    @nathaniel_christopher said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#383  Edited By youknowwhattodo
    Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I feel like I'm one of the few who truly does appreciate RHATO and thankful that Lobdell (yes, Lobdell of all writers) gave Jason some character development that he needed. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing a loner Jason on the run, killing people, plotting against Batman and Joker as much as the next guy, but that would get stale after a while. Lobdell has written the character in a new direction in the New 52 b giving him friends like Arsenal and Starfire who have come from tragic pasts to help each other move along. His interactions with Tim and the family felt a bit out of place at first thought, but it's nice to seem him move past his hatred for them and move on. And his reconciliation with Bruce is my favorite thing to come out of the reboot.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like I'm one of the few who truly does appreciate RHATO and thankful that Lobdell (yes, Lobdell of all writers) gave Jason some character development that he needed. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing a loner Jason on the run, killing people, plotting against Batman and Joker as much as the next guy, but that would get stale after a while. Lobdell has written the character in a new direction in the New 52 b giving him friends like Arsenal and Starfire who have come from tragic pasts to help each other move along. His interactions with Tim and the family felt a bit out of place at first thought, but it's nice to seem him move past his hatred for them and move on. And his reconciliation with Bruce is my favorite thing to come out of the reboot.

Naah i'm right there with you. The writing Jason received before this current series was all around terrible, with no long term planning or direction. He kept whining over the exact same issues and did nothing of interest; heck he was nearly insane from what I could tell. I don't like that this change came at the cost of Dick's relationships with Kori and Roy, and I personally would've chosen different characters all together, but the series has done well in my book.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#386  Edited By daredevil21134
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#387  Edited By youknowwhattodo

@daredevil21134 said:

@youknowwhattodo:Morrison Jason's was terrible imo

@nathaniel_christopher: Jason and Conner Hawke could've been cool

I don't recall saying that Jason Todd was good under Morrison. I remember saying that FE: RHATO was my favorite comic involving Jason since Morrison's Batman & Robin and the reasons pretty much had nothing to do with Jason Todd (mostly the dynamic of Dick and Damian).

I thought that the gif of the dancing guy with chicken would have cleared that up :P

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

I don't recall saying that Jason Todd was good under Morrison. I remember saying that FE: RHATO was my favorite comic involving Jason since Morrison's Batman & Robin and the reasons pretty much had nothing to do with Jason Todd (mostly the dynamic of Dick and Damian).

I thought that the gif of the dancing guy with chicken would have cleared that up :P

LOL!!

Jason was so married to Kory.Hahaha.You better believe it

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo said:

@daredevil21134 said:

LOL!!

Jason was so married to Kory.Hahaha.You better believe it

I just realized something, when we look at pre-Flashpoint Dick Grayson and the new 52 Dick Grayson, the only woman we've actually seen hook up with in real time (no flashbacks) in both continuities, is Helena Bertinelli. One could say that you cannot tell the story of Dick Grayson without him and Helena hooking up.

Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason and Connor would've been interesting because they were pretty much exact opposites so yeah, i'd have read it. Better than them regressing/destroying Roy's character. Heck if you still wanted a woman, but wanted to keep it street level, Helena Bertinelli was right there, and she was always fairly distant from the Bat Family, just like Jason is.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: Punk!!!!

@daredevil21134 said:

Jason and Connor would've been interesting because they were pretty much exact opposites so yeah, i'd have read it. Better than them regressing/destroying Roy's character. Heck if you still wanted a woman, but wanted to keep it street level, Helena Bertinelli was right there, and she was always fairly distant from the Bat Family, just like Jason is.

I would have liked Jason Todd Conner Hawke and Helena Bertinelli to have been the Outlaws

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The Futures End issue was fantastic. The sword on his back was brilliant, wish it was always like that. And his mask was drawn perfectly.

Yes, but Winick's version of Morrison's version, was awesome. (Batman and Robin 23-25).

Completely agree. I have said similar stuff in this very thread, IIRC.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#393  Edited By youknowwhattodo

There's this common misconception that writing darker characters and villains are more prone to stagnation than lighter characters and heroes. One of the biggest problems that DC/Marvel have had is character stagnation and it's happened with as often occurrence to their heroes as it does with their villains. I could just as easily say "I love seeing Jason as a leader staying where he is at, defeating criminals, working with Batman and the rest of the Batfamily, fighting the Joker as much as the next guy, but that would get stale after a while", but what would people say to me? "There's more to the superhero genre than just good guys fighting bad guys, there's character interactions, what a character does when they're not in costume as well as how they adjust to the complications of their lifestyle, these create opportunities for the character to develop and if they get stale then the writers should move them in a different direction". The thing is that could easily be said with darker characters and some villains, it might seem harder to do but it really isn't and it can be done. I guarantee you that if there was a Jason book that was written darker but with direction and care for the character it would do a heck of a lot better than RHATO (ala not getting beat by Bobs Burgers #1).

While it was great that RHATO gave Jason Todd direction and friends such as Kori and Roy to help him out, it came at the expense of the other two characters because Scott Lobdell and James Tynion were more concerned with writing Jason than they were with Kori and Roy. Kori is there for eye candy, doesn't fit with the tone of the book and is underdeveloped, Roy is an idiot, underdeveloped and worst of all he wears a trucker hat, and it has taken until this December for us to know the origin of Roy Harper in the new 52. It is a team of just 3 people, there is no excuse as to why 2/3 of the characters in RHATO are shallow figures following Jason because DC has nowhere else to put them.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: I'm fine with a batfamily member popping up every now and then, however i think they should conform to jason's ideals when they're with him, like how he conforms to their ideals when he works with them.

However i doubt dc has the balls to make batfamily member kill/ok with killing.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's this common misconception that writing darker characters and villains are more prone to stagnation than lighter characters and heroes. One of the biggest problems that DC/Marvel have had is character stagnation and it's happened with as often occurrence to their heroes as it does with their villains. I could just as easily say "I love seeing Jason as a leader staying where he is at, defeating criminals, working with Batman and the rest of the Batfamily, fighting the Joker as much as the next guy, but that would get stale after a while", but what would people say to me? "There's more to the superhero genre than just good guys fighting bad guys, there's character interactions, what a character does when they're not in costume as well as how they adjust to the complications of their lifestyle, these create opportunities for the character to develop and if they get stale then the writers should move them in a different direction". The thing is that could easily be said with darker characters and some villains, it might seem harder to do but it really isn't and it can be done. I guarantee you that if there was a Jason book that was written darker but with direction and care for the character it would do a heck of a lot better than RHATO (ala not getting beat by Bobs Burgers #1).

While it was great that RHATO gave Jason Todd direction and friends such as Kori and Roy to help him out, it came at the expense of the other two characters because Scott Lobdell and James Tynion were more concerned with writing Jason than they were with Kori and Roy. Kori is there for eye candy, doesn't fit with the tone of the book and is underdeveloped, Roy is an idiot, underdeveloped and worst of all he wears a trucker hat, and it has taken until this December for us to know the origin of Roy Harper in the new 52. It is a team of just 3 people, there is no excuse as to why 2/3 of the characters in RHATO are shallow figures following Jason because DC has nowhere else to put them.

I have no idea why so many people like Jason Todd shoehorned into the Bat family,and wanting him to work with people like Tim Drake.I would like him to develop his own friends and allies.And yes,just because the book is dark that doesn't mean Jason himself has to be dark.People can say that being a murderous vigilante will get stale but so can being a space outlaw.Jason should be written like he was in Future's End but with more of an UTRH personality.The story is received great by his fans because that's what the Red Hood should be,he's not a Green Lantern,keep him out of space and more on the streets.

Slonewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnightdragon18: I'm not sure about conforming, but I do believe that if a Batfamily member asks Jason for help, they shouldn't judge how he decides to operate on a case. Plus in recent issues he is capable of showing restraint: in DoTF, Tim was leaning more towards accepting Jason methods, without compromising his own, when they confronted the Joker and in BE 18-20, even after voicing his concerns, he follows Batwoman's lead and not kill the child-slavers nor fighting back against Batgirl.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: @slonewolf: I think people want tim and jason to work together because they want the characters to interact. Jason and Tim have good chemistry.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: @slonewolf: I think people want tim and jason to work together because they want the characters to interact. Jason and Tim have good chemistry.

They can talk but I wouldn't want him teaming up with any Bat member on a regular basis.It's stops Jason from doing what needs to be done.I hate when Jason is censored.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#399  Edited By daredevil21134

@slonewolf said:

@midnightdragon18: I'm not sure about conforming, but I do believe that if a Batfamily member asks Jason for help, they shouldn't judge how he decides to operate on a case. Plus in recent issues he is capable of showing restraint: in DoTF, Tim was leaning more towards accepting Jason methods, without compromising his own, when they confronted the Joker and in BE 18-20, even after voicing his concerns, he follows Batwoman's lead and not kill the child-slavers nor fighting back against Batgirl.

See,that's my problem with Jason working with Batman & friends,he gives up part of who he is.Why would Jason Todd not kill child slavers?That's a huge no no for Red Hood.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: Thats alright because he was working with them, but if they are working him then i think they should conform.

In DOF Tim had no problem with problem with Jason "killing the joker" He said "But apart of me is almost relieved that someone like Red Hood can do the things we shouldn't do, won't do". Thats how batfamily/Jason relationship should be.

I think that's reason so many people want tim and jason together...also for the lolz..they both have red in their names.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.