Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

The Official Red Hood/Jason Todd Discussion Thread.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
    midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@daredevil21134: I'm already disappointed , I can tell this is going to be red hood and the outlaws all over again, just without starfire. It's going to be the sme shit over again. No character development,just meaningless...poorly executed stories....I don't even think I'll pick up issue one.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I would like to see them in a more "Bronze Age"-style street level stories, maybe with some urban fantasy and horror elements ... this preview doesn't really look like this.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#704  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I'll start with what I do like. First off, no Starfire. The underground setting. The banter between Jason and Roy was fun to read. I like Jason's new haircut, though I might be biased because I had that undercut style a few months ago (now I just slick it back FYI), certainly helps Jason's relate-ability lol. Also I didn't see a trucker-hat from Roy or Jason's helmet show facial expressions. Those are positive developments. The Kobra threat has potential...

Things I'm mixed about. It's clear that Scott Lobdell is trying to make the book read like a Liefield 90's series. While I would prefer Red Hood/Arsenal to have a little more ambition, writing 90's-style stories is what Lobdell is known for and what he does best, so if he's going to stay on the title, might has well let him approach the title using his modus operandi. While the in media res narrative technique isn't something that writers should stay away from, I'm not sure if Lobdell can pull it off, but I'll wait and see.

What I didn't like. Right off the bat, the artwork isn't my cup of tea. Medri seems to be a very stylized artist and the problem with stylized artists is that if I don't like the style, it doesn't matter how well they draw the characters, I'll be turned off. Roy's outfit is fine but I would have much rather preferred Medri adopt Jason's Arkham Knight style. One of my biggest pet peeves regarding Scott Lobdell's writing style is that he has no faith that the readers can pick up on certain dynamics so he feels the need to TELL us about the relationship between Jason and Roy. We can tell by their interactions that Jason and Roy are good friends, they're flawed individuals with Jason having anger problems and while Roy is a genius, something is holding him back. WE DON'T NEED LOBDELL TO PUT NARRATION BOXES WHERE JASON TELLS US WHAT WE ALREADY FIGURED OUT.

Overall, nothing really changed regarding my perception of Red Hood/Arsenal, it should read better than RHATO because a cosmic-powered alien isn't crammed into the story, but Red Hood/Arsenal will have its limitations as long as it's written by Lobdell.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: I'm already disappointed , I can tell this is going to be red hood and the outlaws all over again, just without starfire. It's going to be the sme shit over again. No character development,just meaningless...poorly executed stories....I don't even think I'll pick up issue one.

I definitely understand your concerns,but I think you should just give the first issue a chance.It doesn't look promising but you may like something.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#706  Edited By Aahz

In this interview it is said that Chuck Dixon and Scott Beatty had plans to write a "JASON TODD YEAR ONE" after "NIGHTWING YEAR ONE", it's a pity that this was never realised.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@aahz: Link? Jason pretty much has "The Lost Days" anyway.

Yup. When I first saw the solicitation "Jason and Roy versus the DC underworld" My mind ran with it. I though they are gonna be fighting Deathstroke and and running with a bounty on their heads and sh!t like that. But then I see the solicitation for issue 2 and the preview for issue 1, yeah some crap all over again. Oh wait! this time there's killer mimes! Yeah, you read that right, KILLER MIMES!

I'm already incredibly disappointed. And this time around we don't even get a good artist. Oh yeah, and Jason's new costume is really bad. And I actually liked Roy's hat....................

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#708  Edited By Aahz

@allstarsuperman:The Interview can be found here, don't know why it didn't work the first time...

But this series would have been about Jasons first year as Robin and not like "the Lost Days" about his beginning as Red Hood.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#709  Edited By Aahz

Is the Convergence Batman and Robin worth reading?

The Grant Morrison version of Jason was imo the worst incarnation of this character, so I'm quite sceptical of this Tie In.

--Essence--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: that could really be worth reading, especially since there is very little about his time as robin in the new 52.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tired of "fun" stories

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya know...I kind of like Red Hood and Arsenal's new looks. Glad Roy finally ditched the hat, but my one pet peeve is that huge Bat-Symbol on Jason. Really had to hammer home that connection, I suppose...

Kind of bummed they shortened Jason's blades, but maybe they'll extend out later when he has to use them? Hopefully?

Curious if they still consider themselves The Outlaws as a duo?

Avatar image for dark_tzitzimine
    Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something to keep in mind, this year marks the tenth anniversary of Jason's resurrection. Is notable how far has Jason come in such a short timespan.

Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Preview for RHA has gone live

http://mancave.cbslocal.com/2015/06/04/things-heat-up-in-red-hoodarsenal-1/

Looks great.

oompers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That dialogue... ugh.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really not feeling it

This should of been a arsenal solo book

Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#717  Edited By Dark_Tzitzimine

Lobdell gave an interview about the title on Newsarama

Palette is an international terrorist who is only interested in whatever cause will pay him the most money.

Battleworth is a Washington power broker who sees a lot of potential in Arsenal and Red Hood and makes the mistake of hiring them more than once — she's not a "threat," but she is a catalyst who gets Roy and Jason thinking there is a future in this.

Les Mimes is a heartbroken sod who winds up using his awe-inspiring self-duplicating powers for something as mundane as stalking his ex.

Underbelly is a thought who is also a crime lord that exists in every major city in America and parts of Europe.

Sera Fina is a superheroine in her own eyes and a super villain as far as the rest of the world is concerned — who wants to take Roy's new business model and take it global.

And finally, the all-new Batman is a city-sanctioned crime fighter who looks at Red Hood and Arsenal and only sees a rap sheet and not their best intentions.

And that is only the first five issues. So tighten that seat belt!

I'm so on board with this series

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Les Mimes some how reminds me on the scene below, but apparently it is this time an other mime than in Batman 412.

No Caption Provided

Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another Red Hood trailer for AK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG_S1Zw8tio&feature=youtu.be

Looks really good

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark_tzitzimine: it looks good... To bad its written by lobdell, for he's knooooooows the character better then all of us do! YEAH I wish...

Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Out all the writers who have written Jason since the start of the N52, Lobdell is the one who has the better grasp of his character.

Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man

OH MAN

RH/Arsenal WAS FANTASTIC!!!!

Just a wild ride from beginning to end, both boys had their chance to shine, Medri's art was very, VERY superior to what we saw on the sneak peek (it helps that the colorist were way better this time), all the banter and humor that made RHATO so great is there...seriously guys you HAVE to pick this up.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills I love the Arkham look on Jason.I dig everything except the bat logo on his chest.I do love lost days and under the hood.They were gold.I don't get why Judd Winick hasn't had a chance to write Jason in current continuity,I really feel that Jason would have been handled better if DC allowed Winick to write a solo on him right after Under the Hood.Instead they put him in stuff like Countdown.The New 52 has been okay for him just based on the fact that he has a consistent personality.But him hanging out with Grayson's friends don't do much for me.I'd loved to see him with Deadshot or Conner Hawke instead of Roy.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#724  Edited By Winter_Kills

@winter_kills I love the Arkham look on Jason.I dig everything except the bat logo on his chest.I do love lost days and under the hood.They were gold.I don't get why Judd Winick hasn't had a chance to write Jason in current continuity,I really feel that Jason would have been handled better if DC allowed Winick to write a solo on him right after Under the Hood.Instead they put him in stuff like Countdown.The New 52 has been okay for him just based on the fact that he has a consistent personality.But him hanging out with Grayson's friends don't do much for me.I'd loved to see him with Deadshot or Conner Hawke instead of Roy.

I totally agree bro. I bought the Gamestop exclusive figure a couple of weeks back; it's awesome, killer figure with a great design. I love the addition of an actual red hood from his jacket over the iconic red mask. I agree; the Bat logo on his chest, I've always imagined Jason wanting to separate himself a bit from the Bat family, at least as the Red Hood, but I think they took influence from him having the Bat symbol on his chest in Red Hood & the Outsiders. I think this look would work perfectly in current continuity, and people are responding to it very well. I would love it if they did a more gritty, street-level vigilante noir-type series, more along the lines of how Jason was portrayed in Lost Days and Under the Red Hood, preferably by Winnick. I love Lost Days & Under the Red Hood, I remember enjoying them as much as I did the Winter Soldier storyline. Brubaker & Winnick respectively did an awesome job bringing back two characters that everyone said you couldn't bring back, and did it in an organic, believable way that made their return even more dramatic & impactful on their mentors/partners than their deaths, and made the far more interesting characters than anyone could have imagined. Winnick just got Jason's mindset perfectly, I could totally understand where he was coming from in his motivations. I don't understand why Winnick hasn't been allowed to write him in current continuity either. I remember for a time he exclusively wrote all the Red Hood stories, even Jason's appearances in pre-New 52 Green Arrow, just really not sure what happened after that. I'm also in total agreement that they should have given Jason a solo book written by Winnick right after Under the Red Hood, I think the positive reaction to the story & character would have given the book plenty of support. I didn't like him being thrown into Countdown either, he just didn't fit there, travelling across the multiverse with Kyle Rayner & Donna Troy, and I didn't like the idea of him becoming Red Robin, it seemed very out-of-character with his mindset as the Red Hood, so I was very glad he ditched the Red Robin costume at the end. With the New 52, we're in total agreement again my friend, as you said at least his personality is consistent, unlike many characters in the New 52. Some issues/arcs have been better than others, liked the Death of the Family tie-in, and the stories that focused more on Jason himself. And him hanging out with Grayson's friend is weird to me, too. Arsenal/Roy Harper has always been a friend of Dick's since the Titans(at least pre-New 52), and in Starfire's case she was a friend and lover. So it is definitely odd; I still find the whole "bromance" thing they have going with Jason & Roy a little weird. I could definitely see him working with Deadshot, or Chesire, & I'm glad you mentioned Connor Hawke...I think he & Jason would connect much better than with Roy, because of the things that Connor has been through & his spiritual nature. I miss Connor Hawke actually; the "Arrow Family" just isn't the same.

I'm re-reading Red Hood the Lost Days & Under the Red Hood, probably gonna dig out Death in the Family(always cool to read those three together, in the order of DiTF, Lost Days & Under the Red Hood) & those GA issues too.

So, you pre-ordering Batman Arkham Knight from Gamestop so you can play as Red Hood?

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#725  Edited By Aahz

I would love it if they did a more gritty, street-level vigilante noir-type series, more along the lines of how Jason was portrayed in Lost Days and Under the Red Hood, preferably by Winnick.

Yeah I really hoped they would go more in the direction of "Red Hood Futures End" with the new series, Jason is in my opinion just not the right character for a light-hearted series (what Red Hood/Arsenal seems to be).

I'm glad you mentioned Connor Hawke...I think he & Jason would connect much better than with Roy, because of the things that Connor has been through & his spiritual nature.

What do you mean by been through?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#726  Edited By daredevil21134

@winter_kills: I agree,I feel the logo fits with what they're going for in the Arkham games since Jason seems like he will be the anti-Batman in the Arkham verse.I ptr-ordered the figure from the Gamestop's webside months prior to the initial release of the figure.It stands right next to my nightstand.It's the best Jason Todd figure to date. Winick is to Jason Todd what Frank Miller is to Daredevil.It's criminal that he didn't get to write a monthly Red Hood solo aside from Lost Days.If if they didn't wanna give Jason a solo a the time they should have at let Winick put him in some Gotham related book.I think Bucky's success has to do with the fact nobody was allowed to use him except for Brubaker for a good long time.So Bucky got to grow and grow as a character while Jason struggled todue various writers vision for him.Jason becoming Red Robin was dumb so was him becoming Batman Battle for the cowl.The character strictly said he didn't believe in costumes or using fear to make a difference.He was also very protective of children,yet they make him shoot a ten year old boy.I'll levae what Grant Morriosn did alone.I don't have time for stuff like that.

I fet Jason and Mia had chemistry.Lost days and Under the Hood were some of the greatest comics I've ever read.I need to re-read them to.DC's current cintinuity makes me sad.I would have just preferred a full fledged reboot instead of the one we got.I do think Roy and Jason can work as partners but the whole body things feels forced,it's not organic as Harper & Grayson,That's why I would've put Jason with Conner Hawke.They're so different but they could relate in some interesting ways.And they could've have build an organic firendship and he wouldn't have to feel like he's stepping on Nightwing's territory.Jason should be running around with characters like Bronze Tiger,Conner Hawke,Huntress(whose one of my all time favorites),Manhunter,Ravager or even Deadshot.

The New 52 has some good Red Hood moments but I wanna see Jason have a solo series by Judd Winick.I think he deserves one.

Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winnick simply doesn't know what to do with Jason. He wrote a great story on Under the Red Hood but his Jason is a one trick pony that could never get past from his vendetta against Batman.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: I agree,I feel the logo fits with what they're going for in the Arkham games since Jason seems like he will be the anti-Batman in the Arkham verse.I ptr-ordered the figure from the Gamestop's webside months prior to the initial release of the figure.It stands right next to my nightstand.It's the best Jason Todd figure to date. Winick is to Jason Todd what Frank Miller is to Daredevil.It's criminal that he didn't get to write a monthly Red Hood solo aside from Lost Days.If if they didn't wanna give Jason a solo a the time they should have at let Winick put him in some Gotham related book.I think Bucky's success has to do with the fact nobody was allowed to use him except for Brubaker for a good long time.So Bucky got to grow and grow as a character while Jason struggled todue various writers vision for him.Jason becoming Red Robin was dumb so was him becoming Batman Battle for the cowl.The character strictly said he didn't believe in costumes or using fear to make a difference.He was also very protective of children,yet they make him shoot a ten year old boy.I'll levae what Grant Morriosn did alone.I don't have time for stuff like that.

I fet Jason and Mia had chemistry.Lost days and Under the Hood were some of the greatest comics I've ever read.I need to re-read them to.DC's current cintinuity makes me sad.I would have just preferred a full fledged reboot instead of the one we got.I do think Roy and Jason can work as partners but the whole body things feels forced,it's not organic as Harper & Grayson,That's why I would've put Jason with Conner Hawke.They're so different but they could relate in some interesting ways.And they could've have build an organic firendship and he wouldn't have to feel like he's stepping on Nightwing's territory.Jason should be running around with characters like Bronze Tiger,Conner Hawke,Huntress(whose one of my all time favorites),Manhunter,Ravager or even Deadshot.

The New 52 has some good Red Hood moments but I wanna see Jason have a solo series by Judd Winick.I think he deserves one.

I agree with what you said brother, Jason is kind of the anti-Batman of the Arkham-verse. Oh man it is an awesome figure isn't it? I wanted an awesome Jason figure for so long, and this one was just had everything I wanted. I have him displayed proudly, along with my Disney Store exclusive Winter Soldier. Man, you said it perfectly about Winick: Winick is to Jason Todd what Frank Miller is to Dardevil. I think you put that succinctly. Winick should definitely have been allowed to do a solo book beyond Lost Days, and as you said if they didn't want to do that & sort of test the waters, they could've put him in another Gotham-related book, at least with Winick's supervision if not writing him directly. Winick was the first writer to truly give a crap about Jason Todd, & just did a fantastic job with bringing him back in an awesome story & turning him into a compelling, multi-faceted character. You're absolutely right; the reason Bucky's return was successful was because Brubaker was given complete creative control over him for a long time, giving one consistent portrayal of the character as he developed; I wish they had done the same thing with Jason, & Winick would've been the man to do it. One of the reasons I don't read the current Bucky book is because without Brubaker as a guiding force, it's a convoluted mess; it mirrors many of the things that happened to Jason after Winick, him being put into many uncharacteristic situations. Red Robin & Jason's whole involvement in Countdown was a mess from the start, and oh man, how I HATED how he was portrayed in Battle for the Cowl. As you pointed out, Jason stated previously he didn't believe in using fear or costumes. I hated how in Battle for the Cowl Tony Daniel portrayed him like a psychopathic version of Batman, a villain, & even stated in interviews that Jaason had become an unredeemable villain at that point- Jason may be an anti-hero, yes, but he is NOT a villain or a psychopath. There are understandable reasons he does what he does, & Winick was the person that brought that complexity to the fore best. And him shooting a 10-year old boy? That was UTTER CRAP. Jason would NEVER endanger a child, we know from Lost Days how protective he was of them when he freed those children from a child sex slavery ring, & Jason's own experiences as an orphan child and a young sidekick who lost his life. There is no way he'd ever do anything to a child! Oh man Morrison...I agree, you don't want to get me started on that one! Just a total mess, another complete misunderstanding of Jason's character. One good thing about the New 52 is it pretty much retcons things like that out for Red Hood & the Outlaws to work.

Yeah, Jason & Mia had a lot of chemistry, I would've loved to see that expanded upon, sadly it wasn't to be. Totally agree, Under the Red Hood & Lost Days are up there with some of the best modern comics I've ever read, and I don't use those terms lightly. I just wish we could see more in that vein/direction. Yeah, DC's continuity- it's a mess, & I feel Marvel's headed the same direction; I think it would've been better to wipe the slate clean than do sort of a half-reboot; it would've been cool if they picked up with Jason after the GA issues, ignoring things they did in Countdown, Battle for the Cowl & Morrison's run. I think in time Jason & Roy being partners can work, but it feels very forced; I'm used to Roy being closer to Grayson & closer to Grayson's age than Jason's. I agree totally, never liked the idea of Jason stepping into Nightwing territory, I feel he should make friendships & alliances of his own. Connor would have been great because of their differences; and the characters you mentioned are all favorites of mine too- I could see Jason operating with them because of his anti-heroic street-level vigilante status; Bronze Tiger would be cool because he's underused, and Huntress, I love her too, though she has a history with the Bat-family she has a separate standing and a moral flexibility that would allow her to work good with Jason.

You're right, there's been some good Red Hood moments in the New 52, I'm glad he is being utilized and not retconned out of existence like many characters or rebooted and rendered unrecognizable, but pretty much Red Hood and the Outlaws was just okay for me, I feel so much more could be done with Jason in a solo book, preferably by Winick, who could supervise his portrayal the same way Bru did with Bucky for so long. He deserves it, and the fanbase is definitely there, so much potential for compelling, character-driven stories & more fans will be coming, I'm sure, because of his appearance in the Batman: Arkham Knight game.

@aahz said:

@jonny_anonymous: I would like to see them in a more "Bronze Age"-style street level stories, maybe with some urban fantasy and horror elements ... this preview doesn't really look like this.

These are exactly the kind of elements I'd love to see in a Red Hood book.

@aahz said:
    @winter_kills said:
    I would love it if they did a more gritty, street-level vigilante noir-type series, more along the lines of how Jason was portrayed in Lost Days and Under the Red Hood, preferably by Winnick.

Yeah I really hoped they would go more in the direction of "Red Hood Futures End" with the new series, Jason is in my opinion just not the right character for a light-hearted series (what Red Hood/Arsenal seems to be).

@winter_kills said:
    I'm glad you mentioned Connor Hawke...I think he & Jason would connect much better than with Roy, because of the things that Connor has been through & his spiritual nature.

What do you mean by been through?

I totally agree, Jason just doesn't fit in a light-hearted book. Giving Red Hood/Arsenal a chance mainly out of loyalty to the character, but I feel it's not going to have what I want out of a book with Jason.

With Connor I meant that pre-New 52 he had his issues with his mentor/father, and some alienation(though VERY different from what Jason went through), & a brush with death. They are really very different, but I think the juxtaposition of their personalities would work. I also loved the chemistry between Jason & Mia in pre-New 52 Green Arrow.

@winter_kills: excellent post

Thanks friend, glad to be able to talk about one of my all-time favorite characters here, thanks to my bud @daredevil21134 directing me to this thread!

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#730  Edited By Aahz

@winter_kills said:

With Connor I meant that pre-New 52 he had his issues with his mentor/father, and some alienation(though VERY different from what Jason went through), & a brush with death. They are really very different, but I think the juxtaposition of their personalities would work. I also loved the chemistry between Jason & Mia in pre-New 52 Green Arrow.

Since they teamed Connor usually up with Eddy Fyers this could actually work, but since he doesn't exist in the new 52 ...

Btw. am I the only one who Thinks that Jason fits much better in the Arrow Family than in the Batfamily ? Olli had much less problems with killing bad guys (at least in the late 80s and early 90s) and they both like Chilli (or Chilli dogs in Jasons case) :)

@winter_kills said:

I think in time Jason & Roy being partners can work, but it feels very forced; I'm used to Roy being closer to Grayson & closer to Grayson's age than Jason's.

During Jasons time as Robin they had actually one team up in the Teen Titans, and fought Cheshire together when she revealed Lians existences to Roy. But I also never really understood why they teamed jason up with Roy and Starfire.

@winter_kills said:

it would've been cool if they picked up with Jason after the GA issues, ignoring things they did in Countdown, Battle for the Cowl & Morrison's run.

Definitely, apart from Under the Hood, his appearance in GA and Outsiders where the only comics where he was written like he should be before flash point.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:
    @winter_kills said:

Since they teamed Connor usually up with Eddy Fyers this could actually work, but since he doesn't exist in the new 52 ...

Btw. am I the only one who Thinks that Jason fits much better in the Arrow Family than in the Batfamily ? Olli had much less problems with killing bad guys (at least in the late 80s and early 90s) and they both like Chilli (or Chilli dogs in Jasons case) :)

@winter_kills said:

I think in time Jason & Roy being partners can work, but it feels very forced; I'm used to Roy being closer to Grayson & closer to Grayson's age than Jason's.

During Jasons time as Robin they had actually one team up in the Teen Titans, and fought Cheshire together when she revealed Lians existences to Roy. But I also never really understood why they teamed jason up with Roy and Starfire.

@winter_kills said:

it would've been cool if they picked up with Jason after the GA issues, ignoring things they did in Countdown, Battle for the Cowl & Morrison's run.

Definitely, apart from Under the Hood, his appearance in GA and Outsiders where the only comics where he was written like he should be before flash point.

Yeah that's what I was thinking, Connor working with Eddie would be an example of how he could work with Jason. It is truly a shame he is one of the victims of ROOE(Retconned Out Of Existence) Syndrome.

You're not alone- I think Jason fit in well with the Arrow Family, like I said he had great chemistry with Mia I would've love to have seen further explored. And as you stated, in the 80's & 90's Ollie had no qualms about using lethal force when necessary.

I remember the Titans issue; one of my favorites actually, not just because of Jason's involvement, but the development with Roy, which led to him becoming the first single dad comics superhero, which is something I hate about how they destroyed Roy's history with Lian & his heroin addiction, those were things that made Roy unique. Killing off Lian in Cry for Justice was just a crappy move. Yeah, it is odd that they teamed Jason with Roy & Starfire, two characters that have such strong ties to Jason's predecessor as Robin.

You hit the nail on the head with his Pre-Flashpoint appearances bro. Glad you mentioned those Outsiders issues, I should have mentioned them above. That's the Red Hood/Jason Todd we need to see again.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark_tzitzimine: I disagree.I don't think he was given a fair chance to advance his character.Winick could have done wonders for Jason had he had the opportunities that Lobdell is having now.Winick had to be respectful to Batman and Green Arrpw when her wrote Jason in to their stories so he probably could focus on Red Hood too much since he was always a guest in the books he wrote.Who's to say what Jason would have became if WInick got to write a solo with him.I doubt he'd still kept Jason as a foil to the Bat Family.But when he appears in their books the story kinda just fits,at least it did at that time.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Even though the New 52 is a reboot people will always remember Starfire being Dick's Grayson true love and Roy Harper being one of his best friends.It's really hard to expect die hard fans to forget decades of legendary continuity and jump on board with a poorly executed reboot.Jason should have teamed with Conner Hawke and Bronze Tiger.Jason would be the bad boy,Conner would like the zen master and Bronze Tiger would be the older and wiser peace keeper between the three.Huntress could work wit them because she's always believed in her own way and her morals are closer to Jason's but to a lesser extent.I never liked her with the Burds of Prey.I felt the group made her become a bit of a softy.

I feel like giving him Dick's old friends and then making him a stand in for him during his time away has done nothing but hurt his character.I seriously don;t get these crappy ideas for Jason like making him Wing Man and Red Robin?Who gets paid to come up with crap like this?I was really hoping Jason wold wear the Arkham verse outfit since it's so Jason like.

I will say I do like the All Caste stuff that Lobdell gave Jason in the New 52.I like Jason having things that are created exclusively for him.Essence and Isabell were nice additions as well.

@youknowwhattodo I think you agree with me on the whole Jason stealing Grayson's friends

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#734  Edited By Aahz

@daredevil21134 said:
    I seriously don;t get these crappy ideas for Jason like making him Wing Man and Red Robin?Who gets paid to come up with crap like this?

My biggest problem with this Wingman stuff, was that they never really explained how and why it happend. And how his relation to Bruce changed.

@daredevil21134 said:

I will say I do like the All Caste stuff that Lobdell gave Jason in the New 52.I like Jason having things that are created exclusively for him.Essence and Isabell were nice additions as well.

All-Caste and Untiled where defiantly batter than this Alien stuff. In my opinion they really wasted potential when they killed of the Untitled so fast. An Untitled like the new "Red Hood One" from Zero Year tie in issue could have been a really cool villain for a longer story arc.

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo I think you agree with me on the whole Jason stealing Grayson's friends

Yeah it was certainly undermined some of the main narratives regarding Jason Todd's development in the new 52/DCYou which was to step out of Dick Grayson's shadow. I still don't mind the bromance between him and Roy, but I do wish that Roy had other things to do than just be Jason's BFF.

On another note, I nominate Steve Orlando from the new Midnighter series to write a Red Hood solo. He can write a brutally violent, snarky book that can grab someone's attention in the first few pages and I think he'd be willing to write Jason Todd too.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#736  Edited By daredevil21134

@aahz: Agreed.

@youknowwhattodo said:
    @daredevil21134 said:

Yeah it was certainly undermined some of the main narratives regarding Jason Todd's development in the new 52/DCYou which was to step out of Dick Grayson's shadow. I still don't mind the bromance between him and Roy, but I do wish that Roy had other things to do than just be Jason's BFF.

On another note, I nominate Steve Orlando from the new Midnighter series to write a Red Hood solo. He can write a brutally violent, snarky book that can grab someone's attention in the first few pages and I think he'd be willing to write Jason Todd too.

Interesting.I still don't get why Jason hasn't had a solo yet.

Rurgandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it probably won't sell very well. It's clear that DC has no confidence in the Red Hood/Arsenal title (no mentions in the ad campaign, no variant cover promotions, subpar talent). After Grayson, Batgirl, Robin Son of Batman, there isn't much of a demand for solo D-list Batfamily members, given how Talon, Batwing, and even the once critically-acclaimed Batwoman were cancelled. DC's desperately trying to find relevance for Tim Drake, and it's honestly a shocker that Red Hood didn't get the axe, and funneled off into Suicide Squad or something.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: if dc were smart they'd give us a red hood solo right after arkham knight comes out.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: if dc were smart they'd give us a red hood solo right after arkham knight comes out.

Jason has a good sizable fan base.I think they should give him a solo after the release of the game.

ThexX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134 said:

@midnightdragon18 said:

Jason has a good sizable fan base.I think they should give him a solo after the release of the game.

Agreed. The response from the gameplay trailer was huge. And its only going to grow Jason's fan base.

As for the Red Hood and Outlaws series it was great other than the whole memory loosing arcs to me.

As for Jason stealing Grayson's friend I really didn't mind it (Maybe because I can't stand Grayson.). However I do feel that Starfire wasn't the right choice to be one the members of the team. I think Rose Wilson would have been a better choice.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thexx: You my friend are a smart person.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Even though the New 52 is a reboot people will always remember Starfire being Dick's Grayson true love and Roy Harper being one of his best friends.It's really hard to expect die hard fans to forget decades of legendary continuity and jump on board with a poorly executed reboot.Jason should have teamed with Conner Hawke and Bronze Tiger.Jason would be the bad boy,Conner would like the zen master and Bronze Tiger would be the older and wiser peace keeper between the three.Huntress could work wit them because she's always believed in her own way and her morals are closer to Jason's but to a lesser extent.I never liked her with the Burds of Prey.I felt the group made her become a bit of a softy.

I feel like giving him Dick's old friends and then making him a stand in for him during his time away has done nothing but hurt his character.I seriously don;t get these crappy ideas for Jason like making him Wing Man and Red Robin?Who gets paid to come up with crap like this?I was really hoping Jason wold wear the Arkham verse outfit since it's so Jason like.

Exactly, though things are rebooted I can't help but think of the great relationship- & even brief marriage, of Dick & Kory- I was a big Titans guy back in the day, before the New 53 totally took a dump on Titans continuity, IMO. And Roy had such a strong connection, both being partners of high profile heroes, then going out on their own & developing their own identities, though Roy had a darker road to travel, dealing with addiction and overcoming that. You're right, I don't see how comic companies expect longtime, diehard fans to totally mentally jettison decades of established, iconic stories & go along with a pretty much slap-dash reboot. That's what I had an extremely hard time with out of the New 52, there are things I just can't fully wrap my head around why these ideas & sometimes entire characters were wiped from continuity. The way you describe a team involving Jason, Bronze Tiger & Connor Hawke is perfect, really wants to make me read a book like that! Jason would be the "bad boy" of any group he was involved with IMO, the wild card so to speak. I agree, I like when Helena's morality was a bit more flexible; she wasn't like Jason in her methods, but she was closer to them & I think was more capable of understanding them, & she was connected to the Bat-Family like he was, but at the same time separate.

I agree, giving him Dick's friends has never really made sense to me, and it doesn't do Jason's character justice. he shouldn't be in Dick's shadow, he should be making his own legacy as the Red Hood, which is what I believe Winick was trying to do, and what he would've done had he been allowed to do a solo book or Gotham-related book with him. Oh man, Wing Man...that freakin' sucked SO BAD, like you said it was crap & made no sense whatsoever. Morrison just didn't get Jason at all IMO. And I remember the time he impersonated Nightwing...man that was UTTER CRAP. Bruce Jones just served a steaming pile of crap there, it's practically unreadable! These are the kind of people they need to keep as far away from Jason as possible.

I'm with you on the All-Caste. That was a good idea on Lobdell's part; I like that Lobdell, as you stated perfectly, was creating some new things for Jason, things meant exclusively for him, that adds to his backstory & defines him beyond Bat-Family connections or Titans connections, we need more of that. More new & original things, supporting characters & foes, made exclusively for him. Essence & Isabelle were pretty cool, would like to see more of them, or more characters created in that original vein, for Jason & his background.

I'm not giving up on Jason wearing his Arkham-verse outfit in the comics or something similar, though. There's a lot of great reaction to it, and more when the game comes out I'm sure. It just fits Jason's character & world-view so well; & I think the right artists could translate it to the page perfectly. Jason just needs a gritty, street-level book with urban fantasy & occasional horror elements as well, & this look would go perfectly with that.

This, 1000%!! That would be the perfect time to give the Red Hood a solo.

@thexx said:

@daredevil21134 said:

@midnightdragon18 said:

Agreed. The response from the gameplay trailer was huge. And its only going to grow Jason's fan base.

As for the Red Hood and Outlaws series it was great other than the whole memory loosing arcs to me.

As for Jason stealing Grayson's friend I really didn't mind it (Maybe because I can't stand Grayson.). However I do feel that Starfire wasn't the right choice to be one the members of the team. I think Rose Wilson would have been a better choice.

As my bud @daredevil21134 said, you my friend are a smart person! People were going nuts over the trailer, & more people have become interested in Jason than ever before- even people that weren't interested at all started reading the stories & getting more of Jason's background as the Red hood & enjoying it, I've personally seen it at my local game store & my LCS, & have had a lot of people ask me about Jason & what stories to read with him. Jason's fanbase is going to be getting a lot biggere, the game is going to help in making him a break-out character, the kind of character we fans know he has the potential to be.

And you're right, Rose Wilson would've been a better fit than Kory. Her & Jason would have had great interplay; she would've rocked in the Outlaws.

@aahz said:
    @daredevil21134 said:
    I seriously don;t get these crappy ideas for Jason like making him Wing Man and Red Robin?Who gets paid to come up with crap like this?

My biggest problem with this Wingman stuff, was that they never really explained how and why it happend. And how his relation to Bruce changed.

@daredevil21134 said:

All-Caste and Untiled where defiantly batter than this Alien stuff. In my opinion they really wasted potential when they killed of the Untitled so fast. An Untitled like the new "Red Hood One" from Zero Year tie in issue could have been a really cool villain for a longer story arc.

Yes, this! I was thinking about that the other day. He would've been awesome for Jason to face; wasted potential there IMO.

midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@youknowwhattodo: @daredevil21134: https://mobile.twitter.com/DCComics/status/612011324554526721

Well I guess Jason will find out once again that Batman is a liar and a manipulator.Things he should have already knew lol.Nice find man.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark_Tzitzimine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, I really love Medri's work on RH/Arsenal

From here

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnightdragon18: That's good to hear, we know that Dick Grayson will be a part of Eternal Cash Grab Season Two so it's only a matter of time before he reunites with the Batfamily. It might happen in Grayson #12

Avatar image for nathaniel_christopher
    Nathaniel_Christopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnightdragon18: That's good to hear, we know that Dick Grayson will be a part of Eternal Cash Grab Season Two so it's only a matter of time before he reunites with the Batfamily. It might happen in Grayson #12

Lets hope that Eternal 2 really focuses on the Robins like Scott Snyder said in his interview, and not side lines them and down plays their skills again like in Eternal 1 to give the spotlight to the newer Characters.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.