Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1755 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Making a Case for Jason Todd

Pizawle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Pizawle

He should be written as he was in Lost Days. Awesome character.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#52  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Pizawle said:
    "He should be written as he was in Lost Days. Awesome character. "

agreed
    Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By Kurrent

My case for Jason Todd is Morrison should never touch him again........EVER....He should be brought back into main stream by Winnick and if he is not going to remain as Red Hood he should become Red X (from the Teen Titans cartoon). The could be the revamp that he needs to cause some trouble for the Bat family but still keep the anti Hero thing going 

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#54  Edited By JonesDeini

Hate him...hope he dies, stays dead

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#55  Edited By Bestostero

I never really cared for the character, but I thought its lame that people voted him to die and didn't stay dead.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By JonesDeini
    @thecheckeredman:  
    Agree with the first part, Bucky I'm kind of indifferent toward, didn't care when he came back. But I will say it's worked out well enough. And yeah, screw Jason Todd. I get it, you feel sorry for him. To quote Mel Gibson "Ohhh boo hoo!!! You deserved it!!!". Yeah he did, they should hold another ballot. The joy of killing him again would redeem all the whacked out shit that's happened in Batman lately...Oh Morrison...King Shitus thou truly art.
    mbembet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By mbembet

Jason's great character until winnick and morrison ruined him

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Big

I agree 120%! Jason Todd is the reason I started collecting comics back in 1989. I  thought that Jason's  troubles, and the way his death  led to Batman's descent into his own psychotic tendencies was pure joy to read! I felt like I was growing up with these characters, the irony, of course, was that one character had to die in order for me to fully embrace the world of all these other  characters.  
    Jason was the fallen angel. He was this beautiful, talented boy, who had a fierce streak and was a shadow representation of Batman's own darkness. He was shady in a way that Dick never was. In a way, Jason represented the dark half of the Robin persona. That dark half would later be integrated with the Dick Grayson's lighter side by Tim Drake, who represents all the things that Robin should be. Truthfully, as much as I sympathized with Tim's struggles, I never really cared for him as much  as I did for Jason. Maybe because Jason's story is so much more primal, and tragic.  
    I also see Jason as a throwback  to the tragic Greek heroes, like Achilles, who relished battle more than anything else, and died young because of his blood lust and his own delusions of immortalilty. There is something very archetypical in Jason's story and character, one that goes beyond  the ordinary archetypes found in the other heroes or villains. He is the piece of the puzzle that doesn't quite fit, but belongs somehow just by nature of its existence. It's as if fate played a cruel trick on Jason's soul, making him die because of his need to feel loved, only to be resurrected and make him hate the people who he sought approval from. He's a spirit that cannot rest and refuses to leave earth in order to make everyone  pay for not giving him the guidance he needed.  I can't say enough about Jason, but I think that he ulitmately speaks to all of our unspoken and spoken needs of love and acceptance; and the rage, anger, confusion, and loss that we feel when that love is not found.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By JonesDeini
    @xhavoc86:  
    Sadly, nobody stays dead in comics. Hence deaths are often cheap sales generators with no true, lasting impact on the stories. Sigh, the big two have never been known for their balls. They'll bow before fan pressure/sales revenue and writers will kowtow before idiotic editorial mandates that are motivated by personal interests or wallet padding. 
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By daredevil21134

I wonder why people that hate Jason Todd loves coming around here and post post negative comments

kal-el09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By kal-el09

i'd actually like to see jason back with the bat-family...who knows can't wait to read new material

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By daredevil21134

It will be good
    Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#63  Edited By Fantasgasmic
    @Freddy.Mercurial said: 

" Jason Todd will eventually kill Dick Grayson...  it's only logical... "

Horse crap. That is so far from logical it's measured in lightyears. It's more logical that Bruce would kill Jason. And as much as I'd love to see that; and as powerful, even poetic, as it would be to make Batman kill his former protégé; and considering that Batman is probably the only person able to stop him; and knowing that is probably what Jason wants deep down inside, not Bruce's love or acceptance, but for Bruce to admit he made Jason a monster, and there's only one way for him to take responsibility for it… that is not bloody likely, and Jason killing Dick is even LESS.

@weapon154
     said: 

" Please, after all the dirty crap that DC put him through, shouldn't he have a chance to redeem himself? A chance at redemption?... He wanted to be like Dick but the world ruined him.

I think Jason's whole character is built on the fact that he doesn't think he NEEDS redemption.  The world didn't do anything to Jason Todd (unless you count the REAL world that voted for him to die). He was a bad kid, he was always emotionally unstable, and Bruce should've just dropped him at Child Protective Services and let it be. He wouldn't work as a member of Batman Inc because he doesn't follow Bruce's rules. He isn't noble, he isn't heroic, he doesn't deserve the reader's sympathy, and he wouldn't accept it if you offered.  

I personally think villain driven books don't work in universes where heroes are the norm (only in books like Wanted , or Nemesis). I can't help but think that Jason is to Dick what Eddie Brock was to Peter Parker back in the good old days of the 90s. He's got all his skills, knows his secret identity, and is effectively a dark mirror of the protagonist. It would be useful to utilize him in Dick's Batman books, but I would not want to see an ongoing starring him.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Jason's cool, he was a lousy Robin but he's great as Red Hood.  

He's not my favourite Batverse character, that's Batman, obviously, but he's still a very good character.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Fantasgasmic
    @daredevil21134: I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's not that I hate Jason, I just hate the way some people interpret the character. I don't agree with many of what I see as wide held beliefs about Jason's character. Even if it's canon, even if it's a belief held by or explicitly stated by a comics writer, I think some people are just wrong about who Jason is under all the drama, and pain, and whining, and darkness, and psychosis.

I don't think that Jason has is a victim of circumstance. I think he's a victim of his own demons. One key point is that I don't think that fundamentally, at his core, Jason is essentially good (or heroic, if you will) or at least WANTS to be. I think at his core Jason is insecure; he doesn't want to be a hero, he wants to be praised. He was never motivated to be a hero like Bruce, or Dick, or Tim. He thinks he DESERVES to be a hero. He feels entitled to hero-dom without really earning it (until his death). And despite the literal dozens of people (some of whom he knows PERSONALLY) who died and came back, he feels that because of his death, he's earned the right to do whatever he thinks is acceptable, society be damned.
    Blurred View

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 353

User Lists: 5

#66  Edited By Blurred View

Jason Todd works best when he's treated as the antithesis to Dick Grayson. Jason is the fallen Robin and black sheep of the family. He was brought in to replace Dick but instead became everything Dick isn't. He's the ultimate outsider where Dick is the ultimate insider when it comes to DC's superhero community. Dick went on to become the best kind of vigilante, and Jason has arguably become the worst kind. They're the two sides of the "grown up Robin" coin. It's funny that Jason came into the picture because Dick wanted to go off to become his own man, and now Dick is Batman and Jason is the one who's become his own man. 

Jason shouldn't be treated completely as either a hero or a villain. He's best as an anti-hero right on the line. Giving him redemption would just make him redundant to Dick. Pushing him over the edge to be a pure villain robs the character of most of his complexity. It's more interesting to have Jason perverting Batman's mission than turning against it. It's also more compelling because in a distasteful way Jason totally has a point. Maybe some of these people do need to just be taken out, and maybe steering some kinds of crime like drug dealing rather than fighting it would get better results. It's an interesting perspective to have and actually makes him one of the more unique members of the Bat-family.

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By JonesDeini
    @Fantasgasmic:  
    Nail on the head, I don't actually hate Jason Todd, just the way his knob gobbling stans aggrandize the little prick
    undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By undeadpool

I think Jason needs to just go. It was a cheap ploy of DC trying to ape Marvel's "Winter Soldier" storyline in which THEY brought back a long-dead character, only they did it without sloppy retcons and cheap deus ex machinas, AND they did it for a reason. That's the main problem I have with Jason Todd coming back: there's no reason behind it. Remember in One Year Later when he became a shape-shifting monster that could eat people?? Or in Countdown when he was just dimension hopping? It's so clear that now that they've brought him back, DC editorial has NO clue what to do with him. Give him a dignified send-off, and this time let it stick.

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
    Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He should be killed by the Joker!...
    Eyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Eyz

I liked his recent Red Hood (with a cape) persona against Dick/Batman. Made a nice parallel to the classic arch-conflict between Batman and the Joker...only with Dick and Jason!

I'd like to see more of him back on the Red Robin book now, the perfect place for a rematch!

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By NXH

I loved Jason Todd in the animated film of under the red hood. It captured his character so well and I especially loved the last scene with him, Batman and the Joker together.

hattbroz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By hattbroz

wait, how come i don't recall the 3rd comic strip (red hood telling them drug dealers to stay away from school kids) anywhere?
    which comic was it in? i do remember that scene in under the red hood movie.
    anyone can tell me? 

thanks

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#73  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "Can damian kill him? :p "

fixed
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Blurred View: hmm nice one
    MP101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MP101

I prefer characters that are flawed, they make for the most interesting strylines and have the most scope for development, whether for good or evil. I think the fact that thats relateable means the stroy is more engaging so I think that Jason should remain in the grey area he currently occupies between crime and fighting crime.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By daredevil21134
    @entropy_aegis said:
    "@InnerVenom123 said:
    "Can damian kill him? :p "
    fixed "

No Damian can eat this

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Blurred View said:
    "Jason Todd works best when he's treated as the antithesis to Dick Grayson. Jason is the fallen Robin and black sheep of the family. He was brought in to replace Dick but instead became everything Dick isn't. He's the ultimate outsider where Dick is the ultimate insider when it comes to DC's superhero community. Dick went on to become the best kind of vigilante, and Jason has arguably become the worst kind. They're the two sides of the "grown up Robin" coin. It's funny that Jason came into the picture because Dick wanted to go off to become his own man, and now Dick is Batman and Jason is the one who's become his own man.  Jason shouldn't be treated completely as either a hero or a villain. He's best as an anti-hero right on the line. Giving him redemption would just make him redundant to Dick. Pushing him over the edge to be a pure villain robs the character of most of his complexity. It's more interesting to have Jason perverting Batman's mission than turning against it. It's also more compelling because in a distasteful way Jason totally has a point. Maybe some of these people do need to just be taken out, and maybe steering some kinds of crime like drug dealing rather than fighting it would get better results. It's an interesting perspective to have and actually makes him one of the more unique members of the Bat-family. "

Agreed
    Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#78  Edited By Green ankh

I like how Jason has been used. I like to see him take the Nightwing persona agenst Dicks wishes. and really mess with things.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By daredevil21134

no thanks
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By daredevil21134

WTF
    Theodore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#81  Edited By Theodore

Jason Todd fan for life! He's the man.

ownage
     ownage
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Theodore said:
    "Jason Todd fan for life! He's the man.

ownage
    ownage
    "

Hell Yeah bro
    Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Norusdog

most insteresting? that's kinda sad..considering he's the most cliche character they have.

kid grows up in a bad way..get's taken under the wing of someone great...feels betrayed by some event..and becomes bad/half bad.

oh yah..that's "SO" interesting /yawn

what should be "next" for him? kill him off...

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By daredevil21134

Same old song
    logan48227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By logan48227
    @Blurred View:
    Very good analysis. I think that Jason should serve as Dick's arch-enemy rather than Bruce's for the reasons you mentioned. He should be the Punisher to Dick's Daredevil....the living, breathing subversion of every ideal that he has & the corruption of the Bat-Family's otherwise good name.
    akawiccan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By akawiccan
    @NightFang said:
    " @daredevil21134 said:
    " Keep him an anti-hero "
    "
    JokerMan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By JokerMan24

He is an interesting character.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By daredevil21134

yeah
    queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#89  Edited By queenfrost_

A lantern!

neillius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By neillius

I'm a superman guy all the way but I like all of the new Jason Todd stuff that has been coming out. I would really like to see a story of Jason years down the road where he looks back and assess his life as so many people do. I wonder will he be proud of all his decisions or will he regret some of his actions...
    KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#91  Edited By KRYPTON

Jason should become a member of Batman Inc

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By daredevil21134

Secret Six
    dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By dondasch

I frankly find this character boring.  The notion of pointing him in the anti hero direction is extremely overdone to the point that writers really have no way to put him on another path.  Batman always seems to view Jason Todd as a personal failure when in fact Jason is the one who allowed himself to be on his current path.   Batman is not to blame and I couldn't care less if Jason Todd vanished out of continuity.  He had his chance, the public hated him to the point that a vote was cast and, several well placed crow bars later, he was out.  I have a better question though.  Does Batman even really need Robin ?

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By daredevil21134

I don't think he needs a Robin..but maybe he does
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 12

#95  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

KILL him again .... Just Sayin'

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#96  Edited By kennybaese

It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up coming back dressed as a Batman again in Batman Inc. He could see Gotham's two Batmen as a chance to become one as well. He could also view Bruce's new outlook on not being alone as his chance to prove himself. 

abeyance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By abeyance

Jason should just have his own category. He should target heroes and villains alike. Heroes put away murderous villains knowing it's possible they may escape. It is a vicious cycle that needs to end and only Jason can develop the mentality for it in the DCverse. Jason wouldn't be the way he is if Batman let the Joker die instead of saving him so he could get free home and board in jail before finding the means to break out. Jason is my favorite character besides Spiderman and Wolverine. I can totally see him being a force to reckon with in the years to come.

kungnima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By kungnima

Isn't it possible to the cops to find out who they are, when Dick says Jason? Or that 
    Or why not when they killed him off? Batman doesnt bring robin and Gothams most famous guy's son dies?

Not to mention, that, in RIP, when Talia, league of assassians & Damian comes to wayne manor, Talia tells Gordon that Damian is Batmans son. He should find out who Batman is when Gotham finds out Bruce has a son..

OT, soz.

jaberjaws91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By jaberjaws91

I believe he should be reinvented and become part of Dick Grayson's rouges gallery! he should be to Dick what joker is to Bruce

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By LP

Wow I never really knew anything about him, but now that I've read this I do agree, that he's one of the most interesting characters of DC. It's kinda like the way Anakin was never really a good "jedi" but after his "death", well.... he made a heck of an iconic villain as Darth Vader!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.