Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Jason's Parents

Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Grubich

Just wonderin' about how or if Jason ever thinks about them or, say, something like a conspiracy to kill Two-Face for killing his dad...

No Caption Provided
    ...his mom dying at the hands of the Joker (of course he hates and wants to kill the Joker already), or does he even care anymore?
    jukeboxheroabc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jukeboxheroabc

Well I'm not sure about his Dad (I mean was a crimnal and didn't seem to be there for Jason),but his mom did betray him. The only "real parents" that he really had were Alfred and Bruce (if we can call Bruce a parent at that time).

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Willis and Catherine aren't talked about because Judd's trade for a Death In The Family had those page stuck together, lol. 

Sheila's isn't really talked about beyond the betrayal. They really screwed up not using her in Blackest Night to torment Jason in even a short story. 
    Technically, Willis could be alive, his death was mostly theory.based on rumors Bruce heard.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DeathpooltheT1000

He only care thet the only father he knew, dont killed the Joker, that he dont cared what the joker did. 
    So i am sure he cares nothing about them. 
    Also the fact tha Jason dont killed the Joker or Two Faces, shows he dont care about them anymore.

TriSkeith13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TriSkeith13

Jason's put his parents behind him. He confronted Two-Face, the man who supposedly killed his father and was able to walk away. It should be known that Jason's father was an actual positive influence in his life. Up until he was arrested for petty crimes. His father disappeared after his release from prison, so Jason thought he'd abandoned his family, never truly realizing until later that all his father ever wanted to do was give his son a better life.  

As far as his "mother" goes, Jason took care of his drug-addled mother until she died of an eventual overdose. He loved her dearly and even understood she was just sick and couldn't get the help she needed because of their squalor. As for Sheila, Jason was the kind of kid who, while incredibly angry about MANY things, had a soft spot for women. He didn't know Sheila. He just knew she gave birth to him. She betrayed him and in the end he covered her body with his during the explosion. She died knowing that she had given birth to an amazing son. Jason doesn't blame her, Jason doesn't blame his father of his mother. He doesn't even blame Bruce. 

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Grubich
       Good Topic
    Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grubich
    @daredevil21134: Hey just curious is all. It'd make for good stories in comics.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Grubich: I know, thats why its a good topic
    fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By fodigg

I'm pretty sure part of the reboot was him sort of "getting over" what was done to him. Trying less to get back at those he holds responsible, including batman, and trying instead to develop an identity as the Red Hood.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TriSkeith13 said:
    Jason's put his parents behind him. He confronted Two-Face, the man who supposedly killed his father and was able to walk away. It should be known that Jason's father was an actual positive influence in his life. Up until he was arrested for petty crimes. His father disappeared after his release from prison, so Jason thought he'd abandoned his family, never truly realizing until later that all his father ever wanted to do was give his son a better life.   As far as his "mother" goes, Jason took care of his drug-addled mother until she died of an eventual overdose. He loved her dearly and even understood she was just sick and couldn't get the help she needed because of their squalor. As for Sheila, Jason was the kind of kid who, while incredibly angry about MANY things, had a soft spot for women. He didn't know Sheila. He just knew she gave birth to him. She betrayed him and in the end he covered her body with his during the explosion. She died knowing that she had given birth to an amazing son. Jason doesn't blame her, Jason doesn't blame his father of his mother. He doesn't even blame Bruce. 
    He say it, i dont balme you for not saving me, i blame you for let the Joker live.
    He is not angry because The Joker killed, he is angry because, there is no way to stop the Joker without becoming the Joker, that was why Jason dont killed the Joker, when he haved the chance, and why even when attack, Tim, Dick or Demian, let them live.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedHoodJT

This is a fantastic idea for a story. If you were to somehow mention that Jason's father was still alive and that Two Face didn't kill him it would give Jason someone to call dad instead of always trying to fit in with Bruce and co. He would finally have that closure he so desperately wants. At least I think he would.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RedHoodJT said:
    This is a fantastic idea for a story. If you were to somehow mention that Jason's father was still alive and that Two Face didn't kill him it would give Jason someone to call dad instead of always trying to fit in with Bruce and co. He would finally have that closure he so desperately wants. At least I think he would.
    Tim haved a family and DC killed that family.
    I dont hink his father would survive more that 3 numbers.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RedHoodJT

Yea and the difference between Tim and Jason would be that Jason wouldn't be out and about with Batman while a hit was going on to kill his dad because Jason no longer works with Bruce and them so he could actually be there to protect his father from someone trying to kill him.

Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Grubich
    @RedHoodJT said:
    @RedHoodJT said:
    Yea and the difference between Tim and Jason would be that Jason wouldn't be out and about with Batman while a hit was going on to kill his dad because Jason no longer works with Bruce and them so he could actually be there to protect his father from someone trying to kill him.
    ya i was thinking somthin like that or a revenge story arc sometime later in outlaws
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RedHoodJT said:
    I am the only who remember that the Batfamily is not joined by blood, but by tragedy, if DC can make their life worst it will make their lifes worst.
    Also, Jason cant be with his old man all day.
    Sure hes needs a Dad Figure at this point, buth i like more the idea that he becomes and ally of Deathstroke, or at least Desthtroke becomes his mentor, that actually having daddy jumping from the shadows and saying i am live, i left you all this years, but now i am going to make things work, even when you my son are a psycho that shot at people for fun.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RedHoodJT
    @Grubich: Exactly. Have someone try to murder Jason's dad and have that some one be Deathstroke. Who lies to Jason and says that he was there to stop the attempt because being a big dawg like himself heard about the hit and knew that, who the person being, Jason would need "help" with the would be assassin. This is when Jason finds a mentor in Deathstroke only to find out later on in the story that it was Deathstroke himself that tried to kill his father.
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RedHoodJT said:
    @Grubich: Exactly. Have someone try to murder Jason's dad and have that some one be Deathstroke. Who lies to Jason and says that he was there to stop the attempt because being a big dawg like himself heard about the hit and knew that, who the person being, Jason would need "help" with the would be assassin. This is when Jason finds a mentor in Deathstroke only to find out later on in the story that it was Deathstroke himself that tried to kill his father.
    Why does we need his father?, this could be done with Batman or any character that Jason cares about.
    Avatar image for theincrediblezero
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason couldn't give a f*ck. 

"I am NO ONE'S son."

/thread

RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RedHoodJT
    @DeathpooltheT1000: He doesn't. Its not about him needing his father its about the potential the story could have if written correctly. And you couldn't use Batman because Jason knows that Bruce has too many things going on to get caught up in anything about Jason. Hence why it took so long for Bruce to actually talk to Jason after Bruce's return. he doesn't care.
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblezero said:
    Jason couldn't give a f*ck.   "I am NO ONE'S son."  /thread
    Sadly no ones remember his quotes or anything he did before Grant Morrison.
    @RedHoodJT: I am NO ONES SON!!!
    Did you remember that one?
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RedHoodJT

No i sure don't

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RedHoodJT said:
    No i sure don't
    Go at Gambit forum, you will see people talks about this same thing.
    Why does every character need a father?
    Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grubich
    @DeathpooltheT1000 said:
    @RedHoodJT said:
    No i sure don't
    Go at Gambit forum, you will see people talks about this same thing. Why does every character need a father?
    It builds character and entertains those of us who enjoy the classic "father/son" stories.
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grubich said:
    @DeathpooltheT1000 said:
    @RedHoodJT said:
    No i sure don't
    Go at Gambit forum, you will see people talks about this same thing. Why does every character need a father?
    It builds character and entertains those of us who enjoy the classic "father/son" stories.
    Still a father is the guy that was there to teach you thing, to make you the man you are today, not the guy that give you his genetic code.
    Jason needs a dad figure, but that dont means it need to be his dad, i am more happy if he gets like an almost adoptive son of Deathstroke.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedHoodJT
    @Grubich: Exactly. Its the type of character building that every person deserves. And I get that Bruce tried to do that with Jason. But let's be honest, everyone knows that Bruce loves Dick the most and even though he thinks of all of them as his sons. He would choose Dick over all of them and that includes Damian. But he has NEVER been able to teach any of them the character that is needed from a "father." Now granted Tim had his dad to teach him all of that up until his late teens and Dick had his dad until he was around 10-12 years of age. Damian hasn't had a dad all his life and neither has Jason. Guess who Damian acts like the most out of the three Robins before him...if you guessed Jason you would be correct. I will give Damian that he doesn't kill any more because that goes against his fathers wishes. A growing character needs a father like figure to help that character grow. Jason really hasn't had a father figure. And Deathstroke would be exactly like Bruce. Its all about his mission and what he wants not what is best for everyone.
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RedHoodJT said:
    @Grubich: Exactly. Its the type of character building that every person deserves. And I get that Bruce tried to do that with Jason. But let's be honest, everyone knows that Bruce loves Dick the most and even though he thinks of all of them as his sons. He would choose Dick over all of them and that includes Damian. But he has NEVER been able to teach any of them the character that is needed from a "father." Now granted Tim had his dad to teach him all of that up until his late teens and Dick had his dad until he was around 10-12 years of age. Damian hasn't had a dad all his life and neither has Jason. Guess who Damian acts like the most out of the three Robins before him...if you guessed Jason you would be correct. I will give Damian that he doesn't kill any more because that goes against his fathers wishes. A growing character needs a father like figure to help that character grow. Jason really hasn't had a father figure. And Deathstroke would be exactly like Bruce. Its all about his mission and what he wants not what is best for everyone.
    Still Dick cant be Batman, since he cant let himself be that dark.
    Also at this point Jason is to old, is hard to belive he would care what his father wants, there is a point where the son need to find his place on this world alone.
    That is why Dick, could be the golden boy, but why he will fail at being Batman, thats why Damian,Tim, Terry and even Jason have a bigger chance, they dotn need his daddy as much as Dick.
    The fact Batman loved him so much, is the reason why he will fail at the end.
    Batman belives he is alone, Dick dont, Jason, Damien, Terry and even Tim, know that some time they will be alone and no one is going to be there to help them.
    Main reason why i hated that Dick get the Batman suit over Jason and Tim, they understand more Batman that Dick.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RedHoodJT
    @DeathpooltheT1000: Dick doesn't want to be Batman. He only did it because he knew its what Bruce wanted and because Gotham needs a Batman. And after Tim's dad died Tim wanted Bruce to adopt him and so Bruce did. Yeah Tim needs a father figure. The facts are there. Jason wanted to be like Dick and be a second Golden Boy. Be better than Dick so Bruce would love him most. That is a daddy issue in case you didn't know. And Jason still keeps trying to be better than Dick to get Bruce's approval. But if Jason's long lost father shows up then the whole I want to be the golden boy scenario goes out the window and Jason can start focusing more on the man he will be without trying to live up to and be like the first of Bruce's sons.
    DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RedHoodJT: Jason dont need a father for that, only a father figure that likes jason the way he is.
    RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RedHoodJT

I never said he needed his father. It would just be a good plot point to focus a story arc on.

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @RedHoodJT: Unless they were actually dead.
    Avatar image for theincrediblezero
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys know this whole thread is entirely pointless, right? Not only does Jason not give a f*ck, it would be impossible to build on the idea of his parents because
    1) step-mum dies of OD/AIDS/Whatever the hell Starlin felt like at the moment
    2) Sheila dies in the explosion
    3) Willis was a f*ck up criminal, who was likely dead 7ish years ago, and is definitely dead by now, or long, long gone from Gotham and will NEVER EVER RETURN THERE.

The only father/son relationship Jason could possible have is with Bruce. And you know what? I don't think either of them will ever be allowed to think fondly of one another ever again because DC is run by a dumbass who doesn't know anything about writing.

RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RedHoodJT
    @theincrediblezero: True on all accounts but at the same time its just a topic that we felt like discussing. We all know that it won't happen but we just wanted to bring up his parents because we know there is no way for Jason and Bruce to rekindle the relationship they once had. It was all a relationship that was based on Bruce needing someone to fill Dick's role it was never really about Bruce wanting to be there for Jason. Bruce needed Jason because Dick was all grown up and Bruce didn't know how to cope.
    Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Grubich

just saying at some point he cared, wondered if he still might

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblezero said:
    You guys know this whole thread is entirely pointless, right? Not only does Jason not give a f*ck, it would be impossible to build on the idea of his parents because 1) step-mum dies of OD/AIDS/Whatever the hell Starlin felt like at the moment 2) Sheila dies in the explosion 3) Willis was a f*ck up criminal, who was likely dead 7ish years ago, and is definitely dead by now, or long, long gone from Gotham and will NEVER EVER RETURN THERE.  The only father/son relationship Jason could possible have is with Bruce. And you know what? I don't think either of them will ever be allowed to think fondly of one another ever again because DC is run by a dumbass who doesn't know anything about writing.
    What is sad because it could mean a bunch of character development going to the toleit, in what moment Dc decide to join Joe Quesada in the losing fans train?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.