Jason Todd: Super Villain, Anti-Villain, or Anti-Hero?

#1 Posted by Sinestro2828 (1511 posts) - - Show Bio

Yo, I'm sorry to say I'm not as familiar with the comic version of Jason Todd as I am with the animated movie version that appeared in Batman: Under the Redhood.  The animated Jason struck me as a Supervillain with delusions of being the ultimate hero despite his obviously brutal and grisly methods, and irrational hate for Batman.  How is he in the comics?  Is he an Anti-hero like Marvel's Punisher or is he just a brutal monster who thinks he's doing good by being as brutal as the villains he fights?  I mean, he obviously has it in for Batman and all the Robins before and after him (especially Dick, Robin numero uno), but has he been seen doing real good too?  To me, based on what little I've seen so far, he's as bad as the Joker and all the other rogues only his attacks focus on other bad guys and members of the Batman family rather than the general public.  What say the rest of you?

#2 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

Cleary he's an anti-villain super-villain.  lol.

#3 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

"Cleary he's an anti-villain super-villain.  lol. "

This pretty much sums him up.

#4 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@PowerHerc said:
" Cleary he's an anti-villain super-villain.  lol. "
#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Anti-hero, kind of now anti-villain.

#6 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" Anti-hero, kind of now anti-villain. "
More anti-hero though. He just has a vendetta against Dick; which isn't entirely his fault, he's a little nutty after being subjected to the Pits.
#7 Posted by ComicStooge (12766 posts) - - Show Bio

Anti-Villian.
#8 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5444 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say more of an anti-villain or anti-hero. Clearly he's not a real bad guy. He's just been misunderstood.

#9 Posted by Fortanono (4889 posts) - - Show Bio

Anti-Hero.

#10 Posted by imaginaryman (198 posts) - - Show Bio

he's all of them when you think about it.

supervillain - he tried to be a crime lord in gotham 
anti-villain - he tried to be a crime lord, in order to control crime in gotham, and even lessen it
anti-hero- he tried to be a crime lord, he did and he even hurt(killed)  a lot of people to become one, and he continuous to be a pain for batman and robin

#11 Posted by IsabellaRoth (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Supervillian...>Not more a Robin forcing himself to be someone who he really never was.! I mean...a good guy. He is bad..and I like him in that way. Dick is Dick. Tim is Tim.  

And no one can be like the other..just because they all have special personalities. But Tim and Dick are quite similar...Well, Tim wouldn´t sleep with an orange, bitchy alien..so he is more intelligent. =P. Sorry! hahah I just want to see Bruce again...(a little more) =)

#12 Posted by daredevil21134 (11763 posts) - - Show Bio

He's an anti hero when written correctly hopefully the lost days will show writers how to write him

#13 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Primmaster64 said:
More anti-hero though. He just has a vendetta against Dick; which isn't entirely his fault, he's a little nutty after being subjected to the Pits. "
And Bruce
#14 Posted by saiyan_earthling (5444 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" @Primmaster64 said:
More anti-hero though. He just has a vendetta against Dick; which isn't entirely his fault, he's a little nutty after being subjected to the Pits. "
And Bruce "
It's always about his rivalry with Bruce and Dick. 
Bruce, for letting the Joker go after he killed Jason, and Dick, for who's the better Robin and more suitable to wear the cowl
#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@saiyan_earthling: Yep and yes
#16 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@Fortanono said:
"Anti-Hero. "
#17 Posted by daredevil21134 (11763 posts) - - Show Bio

yup
#18 Edited by johnnythejokingnightwing (3 posts) - - Show Bio

Hes a hero whos not afraid to get hos hands dirty when need bé hes been seen in a room with batman as an alli and he is a known member of the batman family

If he was a bad guy would batman not have arested him

#19 Posted by HighlyEvolved (313 posts) - - Show Bio

None of those fit him in the New 52. He is now a hero.

#20 Posted by daredevil21134 (11763 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a hero now.It';s no question

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.