Jason Todd in ten years

#1 Posted by RunawayXY (164 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Todd isn't a known character (To the public) So that means he's actually capable of some character development unlike any of the popular heroes (Like Steve Rogers staying away from the mantle) So where do you think he'll be in ten real years? I don't think he can continue to be the Robin with daddy issues forever, something has to change. 

#2 Posted by daredevil21134 (14012 posts) - - Show Bio

lol
#3 Posted by theincrediblezero (109 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate to say it, but as it looks, he doesn't have much of a future. After Battle for the Cowl and BnR 4-6, he's been slandered from the interesting character he once was. He's now a mere 
caricature of his former self. He USED to be the Robin who was failed, who died a hero, who came back to find himself unavenged. Now he's a mere villain that appears in three issues a year. If we are to have any hope of a return to the Under the Hood Jason we all love, then we must hope that Winick or Johns comes along and decides to retcon everything about him from the past 3 or so years.  If properly done and set as a stable character of his own, he could come into his own right as DC's answer to the Punisher.  Editorial needs to turn on their goddamn brains and figure out how to stabilise him as a character with purpose, not some generic psycopathic Batman wannabe that Tony Daniels made him in BftC. Will he be mainstream in ten years? Probably not. Is it worth fighting to make him more mainstream? Definitely.

#4 Posted by God_Spawn (39298 posts) - - Show Bio
@theincrediblezero: Winick's writing him i think BnR for 3 issues coming out in May and so on, he is teaming with Dick, and Damian.
Moderator Online
#5 Edited by entropy_aegis (15985 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no way of knowing.
#6 Posted by Falcon9 (71 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll be the owner of a small coffee shop that has a unique violent theme of people who make to difficult of an order.

#7 Posted by RedHoodsDen (521 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll buy Radu Coffee!?! lol

#8 Posted by Grubich (395 posts) - - Show Bio

Celebrating th 5th aniversery of the Joker's death as a member of Batman Inc.

#9 Posted by RedHoodsDen (521 posts) - - Show Bio

We'd have to call it "Whatever Happened To The Red Right Hand of Vengeance?"

#10 Posted by johnny_spam (2182 posts) - - Show Bio

Things are not going to be good for Jason there is not much legacy in being the guy was killed in a gimmick. He has something fascinating in his character since he came back but as a result he is almost living chaos in the DCU he does not add up and is really random. There are good points to Winnick's Jason as well as Morrison's Jason but what is better bringing him back into a violent vigilante or making him a true Batman villain or there is the option some really want which makes no sense which is redeem Jason and ignore the people he has killed.
 Making Jason a DC Punisher will not be beneficial nor will it be original it should not be the direction of the character.

#11 Posted by Benuben (233 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should became leader of the league of Asassins.
#12 Posted by BlackArmor (6213 posts) - - Show Bio

I really hate to say this but he'll probably be dead.............again
#13 Posted by daredevil21134 (14012 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see that happening
#14 Posted by RedHoodsDen (521 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam said:
" Things are not going to be good for Jason there is not much legacy in being the guy was killed in a gimmick. He has something fascinating in his character since he came back but as a result he is almost living chaos in the DCU he does not add up and is really random. There are good points to Winnick's Jason as well as Morrison's Jason but what is better bringing him back into a violent vigilante or making him a true Batman villain or there is the option some really want which makes no sense which is redeem Jason and ignore the people he has killed. Making Jason a DC Punisher will not be beneficial nor will it be original it should not be the direction of the character. "
Well...it makes some sense. If you wanted to use the way-out Winick threw in with being thrown into a used lazarus pit is a big-no-no.

It could be one's cosmic cube as it were. 

I find it unnecessary but it could work as much as "the yellow space cockroach did it"
#15 Posted by johnny_spam (2182 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen:@RedHoodsDen said:
" @johnny spam said:
" Things are not going to be good for Jason there is not much legacy in being the guy was killed in a gimmick. He has something fascinating in his character since he came back but as a result he is almost living chaos in the DCU he does not add up and is really random. There are good points to Winnick's Jason as well as Morrison's Jason but what is better bringing him back into a violent vigilante or making him a true Batman villain or there is the option some really want which makes no sense which is redeem Jason and ignore the people he has killed. Making Jason a DC Punisher will not be beneficial nor will it be original it should not be the direction of the character. "
Well...it makes some sense. If you wanted to use the way-out Winick threw in with being thrown into a used lazarus pit is a big-no-no.

It could be one's cosmic cube as it were. 

I find it unnecessary but it could work as much as "the yellow space cockroach did it"
"
The Parallax thing was necessary who knows it might not be all Jason needs but it seems that even Winick implies the pit is not all to blame for Jason's behavior.
#16 Edited by RedHoodsDen (521 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know if it was necessary, it just worked out really well. Kyle was doing fine til DC tanked his title with a year in space and bad writing. They did the same with Wally and a year of Bart as Flash and then Waid's second dreadful run. I think you could argue it was intentional just to be able to justify the need to shake things up to the level to return Hal and Barry.
Winick actually implied rather heavily in issue 2 of Lost Days that Jason going into that pit was like "unleashing a curse upon the world", so I don't know where you get that from. It's very clearly meant to be the moment of transformation from whoever he was as Robin to what he is now.

#17 Posted by RedHoodJT (538 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Jason always had this darkness to him. Never knowing his actual family, growing up on the streets. I mean really the only thing that kept him from going off the deep end was his allowing to become Robin. And I think that the lazarus pit just happened to awaken that darkness inside him. But it wasn't a darkness that Bruce thought it would be, the being a criminal and running illegal drugs. It was that he felt it necessary to take out those that feel they can't be touched. And in the Red Hood he did have a point about not being able to stop crime. But you can control it.

#18 Posted by johnny_spam (2182 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen:@RedHoodsDen said:
" I don't know if it was necessary, it just worked out really well. Kyle was doing fine til DC tanked his title with a year in space and bad writing. They did the same with Wally and a year of Bart as Flash and then Waid's second dreadful run. I think you could argue it was intentional just to be able to justify the need to shake things up to the level to return Hal and Barry. Winick actually implied rather heavily in issue 2 of Lost Days that Jason going into that pit was like "unleashing a curse upon the world", so I don't know where you get that from. It's very clearly meant to be the moment of transformation from whoever he was as Robin to what he is now. "
It's clear in Winick's Under the Hood arc where he is shown as being violent even in his Robin days. If people want to count the Under the Red Hood animated film as well then it is made even more clear by Batman and Jason himself saying it.
#19 Posted by RedHoodJT (538 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam:  He was violent as Robin. I'll give you that. But I mean to be honest most of the villains He and Batman faced were more scared of Batman than they were Robin. I think it helped make Robin a bit more scary for villains to go up against. But I mean that's just me. And yes his violent tendencies carried over from when he was Robin to now but I think that the pit made it worse.
#20 Edited by johnny_spam (2182 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodJT:@RedHoodJT said:

" @johnny spam:  He was violent as Robin. I'll give you that. But I mean to be honest most of the villains He and Batman faced were more scared of Batman than they were Robin. I think it helped make Robin a bit more scary for villains to go up against. But I mean that's just me. And yes his violent tendencies carried over from when he was Robin to now but I think that the pit made it worse. "

It was really not even the violence itself but the fact that Jason was hinted at being angry (in Winick's story) and that being Robin just redirected it and dying and coming back and being put in the pit pushed him even further in a bad direction.
#21 Posted by RedHoodJT (538 posts) - - Show Bio
@johnny spam:  I can see where someone would get that. I actually think that its because Bruce did nothing to the Joker and let him continue to kill even after his death that made Jason go over the edge.
#22 Posted by BlackArmor (6213 posts) - - Show Bio

For everyone who sais he should be Dc's punisher isnt Red Arrow already kinda doing that

#23 Posted by KenTheProfile (420 posts) - - Show Bio

He should be dead again.  They should have never brought him back.
#24 Posted by theincrediblezero (109 posts) - - Show Bio
@KenTheProfile: And why exactly should he be dead again? What has he ever done to warrant his death?
#25 Posted by KenTheProfile (420 posts) - - Show Bio

@theincrediblezero:
nothing but I liked how he seemed to be dead forever unlike most comic charecters. 

#26 Posted by theincrediblezero (109 posts) - - Show Bio
@KenTheProfile: While it's fine and dandy that the character stayed dead for so long, and had such a profound effect on Bats, he has come back. Killing him again wouldn't really accomplish anything, and probably would wind up cheapening his first death. He's had some good stories, and with Winick writing for him in the coming months (just a few more weeks) we might get some moar good stories and a reason to enjoy the character again.
#27 Posted by RedHoodsDen (521 posts) - - Show Bio

Winick's take seems to be had a mean streak. Starlin really depicted as more of an issue with "woman beaters" or if it was extremely personal like Dent.

#28 Posted by TriSkeith13 (25 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason has been and will always be the Robin that truly understood what it means to be nothing. He was a street rat. A kid who had only his wit and skill to rely on to survive. He grew up in crime alley, and for the worse part of it, and orphan. The cycle of crime had literally taken everything from him. He was left alone to witness the crimes of the worst scum in Gotham. It isn't far stretched to assume he was emotionally, mentally, and physically scarred by this. He, with almost no doubt, saw the beating, rape and murder of people in Crime Alley. There is no doubt he was forced to see the worst Gotham had. And yet he still choose to do good. He still has a moral dimension to his character that compels him to be better than the rest of the scum he was forced to be part of. He had seen the worst that Gotham had to offer, been victim to the never ending criminal cycle of Crime Alley, and yet when given an opportunity to be the change he wanted to see in Gotham, to take a hand in its fight against what was the dark side of the city he was born and raised in, he took it. He fought, he he fought, and he fought to bring some change to Gotham. He saw and knew the weaknesses to Bruce's methods, but chose to follow them any way. Because he really believed in the end, they would win. That good would triumph over evil. That the strong would protect the weak from the wicked. He believed that until his death. He stuck his neck out for a woman he had barely met. He was met with the harsh, cruel, evil that he had fought. And he died. He died covering the woman who betrayed him. He was a good soldier who fought for his father. Bruce will never be the same. Even Jason's return didn't change anything.

No one understand this better than Winnick. I truly, TRULY believe that until the next batch of issues from him come out, we truly can not say which direction this character will go. If Winnick keeps Jason in this status quo, then I can honestly say DC editorial has their hands on a cash cow and they won't let go of the utters till something better comes along.
#29 Posted by daredevil21134 (14012 posts) - - Show Bio
@TriSkeith13 said:
" Jason has been and will always be the Robin that truly understood what it means to be nothing. He was a street rat. A kid who had only his wit and skill to rely on to survive. He grew up in crime alley, and for the worse part of it, and orphan. The cycle of crime had literally taken everything from him. He was left alone to witness the crimes of the worst scum in Gotham. It isn't far stretched to assume he was emotionally, mentally, and physically scarred by this. He, with almost no doubt, saw the beating, rape and murder of people in Crime Alley. There is no doubt he was forced to see the worst Gotham had. And yet he still choose to do good. He still has a moral dimension to his character that compels him to be better than the rest of the scum he was forced to be part of. He had seen the worst that Gotham had to offer, been victim to the never ending criminal cycle of Crime Alley, and yet when given an opportunity to be the change he wanted to see in Gotham, to take a hand in its fight against what was the dark side of the city he was born and raised in, he took it. He fought, he he fought, and he fought to bring some change to Gotham. He saw and knew the weaknesses to Bruce's methods, but chose to follow them any way. Because he really believed in the end, they would win. That good would triumph over evil. That the strong would protect the weak from the wicked. He believed that until his death. He stuck his neck out for a woman he had barely met. He was met with the harsh, cruel, evil that he had fought. And he died. He died covering the woman who betrayed him. He was a good soldier who fought for his father. Bruce will never be the same. Even Jason's return didn't change anything.

No one understand this better than Winnick. I truly, TRULY believe that until the next batch of issues from him come out, we truly can not say which direction this character will go. If Winnick keeps Jason in this status quo, then I can honestly say DC editorial has their hands on a cash cow and they won't let go of the utters till something better comes along.
"
so true
#30 Posted by RedHoodJT (538 posts) - - Show Bio
@TriSkeith13:  Its true. Everything that Jason knew needed to be done about the corruption of Gotham he found in Bruce's ways until he died and came back and realized that Bruce's ways don't eliminate the problems they only seem to stop them for a little while. Hence why he was so angry when he found out the Joker was still alive and killing people even after his death.
#31 Posted by theincrediblezero (109 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we have to stay hopeful that DC can let him evolve, and not just keep him a throw-away cash cow to be forgotten with the next dramatic turn of events. It really is only in the past couple years that the character has eroded (*shakes fist in air* TONY DANIEL!!!). There's a chance to re-establish his character if Winick starts writing him again in the same way he wrote him in Under the Hood. If someone like Johns (in my opinion, the king of retcons) picks up the character, he could fix all this Morrison shit.

#32 Posted by RedHoodJT (538 posts) - - Show Bio
@theincrediblezero:  I agree with you on that. I hope that Winick is able to write him permanently but if Johns gets a hold of the character and fixes what Morrison did hey I'm all for that too. Either one of them is ok writing Jason with me. I just hope that that is what it comes to.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.