Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Jason Todd: Bad Ass Villain or Pawn?

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Big

I think that Jason Todd should be considered one of Batman's most formidable enemies.Right up there with Joker and Ras' Al Ghul. The fact that he died and has come back, trained by Talia and Batman, and has an axe to grind with the Joker AND Batman, I think puts him right up there with the baddest of bad-asses. He was Robin for god's sake! Keep him in that outfit that he had for Battle for the Cowl, keep the gun, and make him give Batman a run for his money everytime he shows up. I mean, make him kick Batman's ass for leaving him in that warehouse! Also, keep the black hair, it's a symbol of his connection with the other Robin's and even Bruce. I like that he wupped Tim Drake, now give Jason that kind of formidability with everyone, and we've got a new brand of bad-guy. And none of this "confused good-guy" b.s.! He tried it. It didn't work, cuz, see, he DIED! So, I think that he should just cause havoc on EVERYONE, good and bad alike, and show that someone can just hate across the spectrum. 
    Additionally, I think the crowbar should cause a little bit of a nervous break down in Jason when he sees it. Kind of like Kryptonite and Superman. It's his one weakness, the tool that broke the little Robin. Then it can add a little dimension to an already POTENTIALLY fascinating character.
    spiderguylll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By spiderguylll

I see Jason as a bad ass anti hero than a bad guy...He's DC's Punsher

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Big

Yeah, and I'm saying scrap it. Make him go ALL-THE-WAY! He tried the good guy route. It's not his cup of tea. He was a punk when Batman met him, and I think, deep down, he's a criminal that never could fully rehabilitate. That's why he just couldn't fit as Robin, and why he got killed. So, why deny what you are, and not go whole-hog with it?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Primmaster64
    @spiderguylll said:
    " I see Jason as a bad ass anti hero than a bad guy...He's DC's Punsher "
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By FoxxFireArt

What does this have to do with the Podcast??

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Jason Todd as he is written is neither a badass anti-hero or a villain in my opinion. He fails at both as a character.

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Big
    @FoxxFireArt:
    picky, picky. U saw it and responded. So I guess it wasn't such a bad place to put it.
    Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Big

Grant Morrison will write Jason as a villain. Jason is fed up with the good guy act. He sees that it didn't work and it doesn't fit him. I think that's why he always had a hard time fitting in as Batman's partner. He was a failed experiment. And now, the results have gone awry. I hope that Jason will become one of Batman's most formidable foes. This will reveal one of Batman's fears, which is to have one of his proteges become a real threat.   

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Jason is awesome and never actually died only became mentally retarded

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Big
    @Son_of_Magnus:
    No dude, he was dead, check out Death in the Family.
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Son_of_Magnus
    @Big said:
    " @Son_of_Magnus: No dude, he was dead, check out Death in the Family. "
    I have but that was retconned it was revealed that he survived all of that and crawled out of his grave and  was adopted by Talia
    Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Big

Well, he DID die. But all that changed when a shift in space/time brought him back. Dude, he was in that coffin for a bit. I don't think ANYONE could survive that.
    VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By VaizD

Todd's a weird character. I want to call him the flipside of Batman, but Joker has been long established as the opposite face of the same coin. I'd like it if Todd did in fact continue to use the BftC suit and became a sort of embodiement of what Batman would be if he broke his rules. His presence would be a continuous haunting for Bruce in multiple ways (Keeping in mind, we don't even know what Bruce is gonna be like when he comes back) and would add yet another thing to his already tortured psyche: A physical manifestation of his own potential for evil.
     Also, I think kryptonite is a bit of a bad simile for the crowbar and Jason. If anything, I think it should send him in to a blind rage. Seems more Jason-like than pissing himself.

Or maybe they should just keep him locked up and I'm reading too far in to all of this.

Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Big
    @VaizD:
    Yeah, you may be reading a little too much, but you make some good points. I think you're right about Jason being a darker, physical manifestation of Batman. He's simply a bad result of turning youth into crime-fighers. He may in fact be a physical representation of Batman's guilt over not being able to stop Joker from killing him, which has great resonance with Batman because it represents his inability to stop Joe Chill from murdering his parents at a very young age.  
    About the crowbar, I think the guy already has a lot of pent-up rage. Seeing more may just be over-kill. I figured that if Batman has no alternative, he can pull out a crowbar, and see it mess with Jason a bit, enough to distract him so Batman can have a fighting chance against Jason. Maybe like mocking Joker to set him off rather than debilitating him like Kryptonite does Superman. Thanks for the input.
    VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By VaizD
    @Big: Fair enough, and I hadn't thought of the Joe Chill connection! Very true!
    As for the crowbar, I see what you mean. Some post-traumatic flash backs might actually be in order for that. Personally, I'd see The Joker pulling it on him more than Bats himself, as I think it would mess with Bruce's head just as much as Jason's to an extent (Another reminder of his failure). J would just do it because he's the Joker, he was the original wielder of the crowbar, and he likes to eff with people.
    Big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Big
    @VaizD:
    I think Bats is pretty resilient when it comes to mind f#8cks. That's what this whole RIP situation is about. I think Batman would only use something like that as a last resort if he found himself hanging from a ledge with that Kris against his throat and Jason going off on how he was the bestest Robin EVER! I think Batman could sort the thing out in his mind before using it so it wouldn't affect his own mind in the process. He's thorough like that. Yeah, Joker would totally use it just b/c he's that kind of SOB. It would be fun to see how Jason would react to Joker if he pullled that sh*t again. MAJOR-ASS KICKING!
    Avatar image for christopherwilliams
    ChristopherWilliams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Jason moral compass leans towards being a bad guy because its easier to be a rebellious bad ass then a hero who does good things.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.