How long was jason todd robin in the new 52

#1 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm having a problem with the timeline in the new 52, I don't get it, if Dick was robin just five years ago in their past, How long was jason robin and for that matter tim?( ha like a month or something) Does anyone have a firm grasp on this cause i sure don't.

#2 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sure they'll let us know after the next reboot.

#3 Posted by danhimself (22626 posts) - - Show Bio

2 years

#4 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

37 minutes and 23 seconds

#5 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

That just seems silly, Some people are saying Dick started off as robin at age 16 now, It seems like they kinda screwed all the robins relationship with Bruce. So Jason was robin for two years died came back like a week later and is one of the biggest badasses in the Dc universe martial arts wise. No one can learn all that in two years..........I know people will just say "well if Batman trained you blah blah blarghhh" but it just doesn't make sense.

#6 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking at an issue of Red Hood as we speak, Jason said he came back from the dead a year and a half ago, and was Robin for over a year. My problem is, Dick was Batman a year ago, and assuming he still made Damian Robin right away Tim really couldnt have been Robin for that long. But Tim and Dick can now fall back on previous talent in the new 52.

@Tyler Starke: I dont know if you read Red Hood, but the All-Caste have been portrayed as the most elite martial artists in existence, and Jason's rage is a powerful weapon. The two years with Batman and the year and a half with the All-Caste couldve been wonderous, plus his years of being a street urchin couldve toughened him up. Unrealistic and a little hard to swallow? Yes. Utterly gut wrenching and capable of ruining the entire comicdom? I dont believe so.

#7 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow so Tims whole campaign before he became Robin to convince Batman he needed a robin wouldn't make sense anymore, a lot of it just doesn't make sense, @KnightRise: I've skimmed a couple of issues of Red Hood and the whatevers, I need to check it out people seem to like it, but yeah I have no idea who the All-Caste are, I used to know so much about the Bat-verse, but now all that has been all topsey turveyed and I dont know jack about any of them anymore.

#8 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke: The New 52 timeline makes no sense. You're not meant to think about it. You're supposed to say "oooh, awesome" at all the sex and violence, 
#9 Posted by daredevil21134 (12111 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it dosen't make much sense

#10 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: Either youre getting your opinion off what youve heard or you have the terrible misfortune of reading the wrong comics/reading the right comics wrong. The only confusing part in what is still canon, and that hasnt been revealed completely yet. I dont like the condensing of timeline to five years, but its really not that confusing.

@Tyler Starke: Id reccommend Red Hood & the Outlaws if you like Jason, its more than just "sex, violence, and snark", as those who only read about the first issue might believe. Theres some solid relationship building going on there. Any who, if you read the Red Hood: Lost Days (of Jason Todd), most of the training he went through between his ressurection and Under the Red Hood were now given to him by the All-Caste, an ancient clan of martial artist, assassins, and mystics. It makes sense in a shorter timeline, but I prefered how he trained with several deadly versions of Batman's mentors. And for the record: the Batman canon has been the least altered in the New 52, aside from Green Lantern. Most events are still canon but for lack of a better word, "less important" and/or altered. Again, the five years thing is too short in my opinion, but hey, they might work around it.

#11 Posted by Loki9876 (3051 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe batman started sooner.

#12 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke said:

.I know people will just say "well if Batman trained you blah blah blarghhh" but it just doesn't make sense.

He was trained by more then just Batman.
#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92857 posts) - - Show Bio

People need to stop trying to piece together the timeline and what happened when. There's so much conflicting continuity that it will NEVER all be able to pieced together adequately.

#14 Posted by daredevil21134 (12111 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

People need to stop trying to piece together the timeline and what happened when. There's so much conflicting continuity that it will NEVER all be able to pieced together adequately.

QFT

#15 Edited by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambler: I know its just that everything seems so crammed together, its sorta frustrating @Mercy_ said:

Never :( well that's just kinda sad

#16 Posted by Mercy_ (92857 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tyler Starke: I get where you're coming from, trust me. I used to be a stickler for stuff like that. But it gets to a point where everything's so convoluted and ignored and there are so many contradicting plot details from book to book or character to character or family to family, you just have to let trying to figure it out go and enjoy the stories for what they are.

#17 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tyler Starke: His Robin pre-death history is pretty much white washed in this story/New 52 but I'm okay with that. But they actually spend quite a bit of time establishing his training. Its one of my favorite scenes in the series. The whole ancient clandestine sect of mystical martial arts/teachers was badass.
#18 Posted by Tyler Starke (4410 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: Yeah i hear you and for the most part I have enjoyed some of the new storylines, some of them are really good. I just avoided them at first because I felt like it wasn't the batverse that i know and love, I thought to myself how could they just wipe out this whole chunk of history and character development that shaped some of the characters that got me involved with comics in the first place, I suddenly didn't know any of them anymore and frankly didn't want to start all over, haha so much of my brain has the most worthless batman trivia in it That doesn't even matter anymore, its just floating around clogging up the pipes, and of course the new 52 reboot isn't the only time this has happened. it's just one of the most dramatic times, anyway you get the point, I'm gonna take your advice and stfu about it hahah@Gambler: Yeah I'll definitely have to check it out, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get reacquainted with the bat family.

#19 Posted by oraclefyre (936 posts) - - Show Bio

You might be able to get a general idea from Red Hood and the Outlaws 0 I think.

#20 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1672 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tyler Starke: Nothing makes sense in the New DCU. I can't enjoy a thing apart from Snyder's stories. I'm sorry, DC, but your lack of consistency and coherence breaks bones.

#21 Posted by EnSabahNurX (2301 posts) - - Show Bio

@Tyler Starke said:

@Gambler: I know its just that everything seems so crammed together, its sorta frustrating @Mercy_ said:

Never :( well that's just kinda sad

lol it's sad because even with a reboot they can't get the continuity to line up properly XD all it would have taken is one meeting to straighten out the bat-verse and then just branch out from there so there is consistency(before the reboot was put into play)

The 5 year thing should have only applied to the formation of the justice league the other dates should have been left up to the people in charge of each character, much simpler that way

#22 Edited by _Zombie_ (10455 posts) - - Show Bio

Divide 42 by 8, then subtract by Batman, multiply by fish, and finally add the square root of a box of wooden spoons. You'll have your answer.

#23 Posted by BatWatch (2812 posts) - - Show Bio

@sesquipedalophobe said:

I'm sure they'll let us know after the next reboot.

(laughs) You won yourself a follower just for that comment.

#24 Posted by BatWatch (2812 posts) - - Show Bio

The DCNU is stupid. Long live the DCU!

#25 Posted by God_Spawn (38105 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Divide 42 by 8, then subtract by Batman, multiply by fish, and finally add the square root of a box of wooden spoons. You'll have your answer.

I got 7 but I think I carried the peanut butter wrong.

#26 Posted by _Zombie_ (10455 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: Well, it's your own fault for not paying attention in class.

#27 Posted by ThanosIsMad (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

If you pretend that Batman started at 18-20 and has been around for 14 years at the most and ignore everything DC has said about the whole "5 years ago" thing in regards to sidekicks, it all makes sense.

#28 Posted by Dark_Slayor (212 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't Dick orginally recruited as Robin at eight or nine? Why couldn't they just leave it as that? It made so much sense that way, Bruce lost his parents around that same age so he wanted to make a difference in Dick's life. Now the timeline is a clusterf^ck, and now thanks to the New 52, I won't be able to sleep at night.

#29 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio

@HotSauceCommittee said:

37 minutes and 23 seconds

#30 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

You have to ignore a lot of conflicting details in the DCNU if you want the timeline to make any sense. In my head I've imagined New 52 Batman to have started at around 21, training around the world for maybe 4 years before that. Dick started soon after and was Robin for 5 years, until Bruce was 26. Jason came along soon after and was only Robin for maybe a year at the most, Bruce was 27. Tim showed up and was Robin for 4 years or so, until Bruce was 31. Damian has been around for about a year, having been conceived in the first or second year of Batman's career, Bruce is now 32 or 33. DC has published some things in the New 52 that may conflict with this, but I've found it a lot easier to just imagine a timeline like this rather than try to piece all the nonsense DC has released together.

#31 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1680 posts) - - Show Bio

DC's published a lot that conflicts with that, and they publish more new conflicting material every day lol but that's the basics of how its supposed to be I think. From what I understand (And that's not much given the giant shit storm that is the New 52) Bruce is now supposed to be younger than he was Pre-Flashpoint. Like early 30's.

#32 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11435 posts) - - Show Bio

I am the only one that belives DC should Rebboot his reboot and try to make their timeline less senless?

#33 Posted by havoc1201 (518 posts) - - Show Bio

reboot the reboot!! save this mess of a timeline

#34 Edited by lifeofvibe (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

Any answers?

#35 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3561 posts) - - Show Bio

Yo, it's not that hard to ignore the 5 year timeline and just enjoy the stories.

#36 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1680 posts) - - Show Bio

Any answers?

He was Robin for about half a year.

#37 Posted by lifeofvibe (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher: somebody said it was mentioned in his comic that he was robin for two years in red hood and the outlaws i only buy the trades so i dont know

#38 Posted by Nathaniel_Christopher (1680 posts) - - Show Bio

@nathaniel_christopher: somebody said it was mentioned in his comic that he was robin for two years in red hood and the outlaws i only buy the trades so i dont know

There were contradictions all over the place initially. Regardless, this is currently how things stand apparently.

#39 Posted by lifeofvibe (3509 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Edited by Nathaniel_Christopher (1680 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by daredevil21134 (12111 posts) - - Show Bio

@batwatch said:

The DCNU is stupid. Long live the DCU!

Hell yeah

#42 Posted by jasontoddy (1 posts) - - Show Bio

you no whats so stupid is how did jason die

the joker was supposed to be dead during that time who killed jason was it dent,cobblepot,anarchy,maybe even joe chill?

#43 Posted by Gloombot (37 posts) - - Show Bio

No man the Joker bashed his face in with a crowbar.

#44 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11435 posts) - - Show Bio

Bruce Wayne has being Batman for 7 years, this sound really stupid.

#45 Posted by Transformers1024 (2367 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I gathered while reading RHatO is he was Robin just barely under a year before he died.

#46 Edited by Aahz (106 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't now about new 52. But pre new 52 it is said in "Batman: Year 3" (=the comic directly after Death in the Family) that there were only two years between Dick being fired and this comic. Since Jason was trained for 6 month before he became Robin, he was Robin for roughly one and a half year in this continuity.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.