'Failure' of a Robin... Why?

• 67 results
#51 Posted by daredevil21134 (10857 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen said:
" Meantime, the most substantive thread on the DCO consists of people saying "their love of Dick is rock hard" "
Sometimes I think Nightwing has more fans then Bruce
#52 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@Meinos Kaen said:
"I love...Winick's stories"

#53 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

Jason Todd is a bad Robin because HE KILLED A DUDE and because the writer PURPOSELY MADE HIM ANNOYING.

Freaking duh.
#54 Posted by theincrediblezero (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh, look, everybody! The trolls made it to the party!

#55 Posted by RedHoodsDen (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
" Jason Todd is a bad Robin because HE KILLED A DUDE and because the writer PURPOSELY MADE HIM ANNOYING.

Freaking duh.
"
Yeah...remember when it wasn't cool to be a Robin who decapitates people, guys?

Wait...it's cool now to be a Robin who decapitates people.
#56 Posted by entropy_aegis (14239 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen:
He does'nt like Damian either so that argument is'nt gonna work on him.
#57 Posted by entropy_aegis (14239 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
" @Meinos Kaen said:

"

BWHAHAHAHA.
#58 Posted by daredevil21134 (10857 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
" @Zoom said:
" @Meinos Kaen said:

"
BWHAHAHAHA. "
lol
#59 Edited by RedHoodsDen (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:

" Jason Todd is a bad Robin because HE KILLED A DUDE and because the writer PURPOSELY MADE HIM ANNOYING.
Freaking duh.
"

Yeah all 3 issues he challenged Batman's morality in, of a 12 issue run Starlin [prior to a Death in the Family] wrote, a few of which he barely spoke or didn't appear at all really irked the shit out of you, eh Brutus? You just couldn't take it anymore and ran to the fucking phone to off the kid. 

Then your wife overcooked the steak so you just punched her in the face til she learnt her goddamn lesson.

Better Entropy?
#60 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no idea what you're talking about.

He challenged Batman's morality in a few issues?  I couldn't care less but he KILLED A DUDE, which is not okay for any superhero in the situation Jason was in.  Plus, it is a well documented fact that Jim Starlin hated the idea of Robin and purposely wrote Jason to be unlikable so that he could convince DC editorial to let him kill Robin off.  Even Judd Winick, the man who brought Jason back from the dead, admits that if he had decided to vote for the phone in thing, that he would have voted to kill Jason.

He was purposely a bad character.  The only person who wrote Jason to be decent was Marv Wolfman in the one story Jason appeared in during his Teen Titans run.

It's totally understandable to not like Jason Todd.  You weren't meant to.
#61 Posted by entropy_aegis (14239 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen said:
"@Zoom said:

Freaking duh.
"

Yeah all 3 issues he challenged Batman's morality in, of a 12 issue run Starlin [prior to a Death in the Family] wrote, a few of which he barely spoke or didn't appear at all really irked the shit out of you, eh Brutus? You just couldn't take it anymore and ran to the fucking phone to off the kid. 

Then your wife overcooked the steak so you just punched her in the face til she learnt her goddamn lesson.

Better Entropy?
"

HUH??? why was this directed towards me?I'm not Zoom.
#62 Posted by daredevil21134 (10857 posts) - - Show Bio

OK?
#63 Edited by RedHoodsDen (496 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom show me the panel where Jason killed Felipe again. I always miss that. You'd make an even better judge, jury, and executioner than Jason himself. Secondly, how can anyone equate the obvious impact of the death of any Robin on the mythos solely with the character. If Jason Todd had just gone off with his mommy, killing the next Robin would still be  a viable important story they wouldn't turn down. The major impact there was killing Robin, the bulk of the voting public probably didn't even read the "Diplomat's Son". It was a sideshow to draw in new readers. The same sideshow that spawned "Robin dies at Dawn" imaginary tales in the oh so innocent 50s.

@entropy_aegis said:

HUH??? why was this directed towards me?I'm not Zoom. "

Actually just was playing off how you said he didn't like Damian.  NVM it was a bad joke. No one here has seen "Raging Bull"
We seem to be up and running again.
And in our downtime I was flipping through Animal Man #7 again:
#64 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen said:

" @Zoom show me the panel where Jason killed Felipe again. I always miss that. You'd make an even better judge, jury, and executioner than Jason himself. Secondly, how can anyone equate the obvious impact of the death of any Robin on the mythos solely with the character.

"
That part wasn't shown because the story was better without it.  Look at Jason's face.  Look at what he says to Batman and look at how he reacts afterwards.

You're a rookie superhero and you screw up and somebody dies.  Are you going to act like it isn't a huge deal and then swing off, avoiding talking to your mentor about it?  Are you going to have trouble looking your mentor in the eye?  No.  Jason's obviously lying.  He killed that man.

Secondly...uh what?  All I said was that Jason Todd is a purposely unlikable character and a killer.
#65 Edited by RedHoodsDen (496 posts) - - Show Bio

So where'd he push him again? Not only do the cops clear him, Bruce doesn't even take him off active duty for this.

Now, I don't know but me, I remember the context of the story. This prize piece of man serially raped and beat a girl to the point where, when the system failed, and that animal was making threats of a third rape, she hanged herself. And Jason found her.

Now, Felipe also loved the cocaine. Who's to say the crackhead wasn't totally jacked up and a Boy Wonder showing up on a ledge didn't give him too much of a scare?  Jason looks a little wide eyed in that first panel, could he be coming to grips with what just went down himself? That even inadvertently he might've caused the guy to fall, or maybe couldn't save him and watched him fall all the way down? And the world kept on spinning in spite of the fact a scumbag died? 

Are you always talky when someone dies in front of you? The partnership was already fracturing, whose to say he thought Bruce would believe him. After all, you said it, it looks bad.

Ultimately, I think the diplomat's son is an important story not because we don't know whether he did it, but because it was the moment he saw a piece of shit die and the world was a little better off. You don't get that much in sidekick 101.
Moreover, I don't believe a kid that vengeful would help the woman who sold him out  to die try escape a warehouse bombing a couple issues later.

#66 Edited by Meinos Kaen (39 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen said:

" So where'd he push him again? Not only do the cops clear him, Bruce doesn't even take him off active duty for this. Now, I don't know but me, I remember the context of the story. This prize piece of man serially raped and beat a girl to the point where, when the system failed, and that animal was making threats of a third rape, she hanged herself. And Jason found her.

This. Sparing me the moral bullshit, can you honestly say you wouldn't have THOUGHT of taking justice into your own hands, since according to that same system, a person can't be tried for the same crime twice? And as such, that man had been set free to keep on raping her undisturbed? That's probably what drove the woman to suicide.
#67 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen:  I'm gonna have to agree with you. There is no cold hard evidence that he killed him. For any of us know he slipped, Jason could have pushed him and he held on just long enough for Jason to ask him how it felt to be at the mercy of someone else and then went to try to help him up and he couldn't. I for one don't really care. I hope he killed him. Guys like that, that beat the system, don't deserve to live to repeat their crimes. Its why Jason would be the perfect person in the DCU to be a Punisher type character.

@Zoom:
  How did he screw up? Because a cocaine using rapist just so happens to fall from a several stories high building to his death and he just watched? That is a screwup? Hmm I'm pretty sure then that everyone that has died in Peter Parkers' life have all been his screw ups too right? I mean he got his uncle killed and he also killed Gwen Stacy trying to save her. But does he catch any heat about having people die around him? Hell no. He killed both his best friends father and his best friend. Granted they were trying to kill him but still. Does it make it any difference. If you ask me, no it doesn't.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.