Does Jim Gordon Know Who Batman is BECAUSE of Jason

#1 Posted by Chicago_Bruce (81 posts) - - Show Bio

In Batman & Robin #6, Jason and Dick have a bit of a yelling match at each other near the end of the issue. Soon, Jason is being dragged away by the police, as Gordon just arrested him. However, RIGHT IN FRONT of Jim Gordon and several police officers, Jason refers to Dick as "Grayson" and Dick calls Jason by his name, after all, he is unmasked.

So let's see this from Jim Gordon's point of view. He is arresting Jason Todd, The Red Hood, former adopted child of Bruce Wayne. Jason is yelling at Batman, calling him "Grayson", addressing family oriented issues of being in the real-Batman's shadow.

Jim Gordon is aware the Wayne family, he knows Bruce adopted Dick Grayson and Jason Todd ... it shouldn't be hard to make that connection.

In the past, Jim has had opportunities to know Batman's secret identity, I cannot remember the exact issue off hand, but I know Batman offered to tell him on at least one occasion. But Jim has always expressed disinterest, preferring not to know. But here it's staring him in the face. Once more, other police officers are present.

Someone is going to put this together, surely?! Though back to my original point, do you think Jim Gordon now knows Dick Grayson is the current Batman, making Bruce Wayne the former Batman? In several of the panels, while Dick and Jason argue, Jim is just standing there, observing them, or has his back to Dick, maybe not knowing what to say to him, now that he knows.

(By the way, I put this in the Jason Todd forum, rather the Jim Gordon because Jason was the one who started using their public names (ie, Grayson) while they were still in costume, in front of non-Bat-family members).
#2 Posted by Paragon (7293 posts) - - Show Bio

It's possible Jim's always known, like how Lucius Fox knew in the movies, but chooses not to formally address the issue due to being able to legally deny knowledge of the identity of Batman in a court situation.

#3 Posted by LT1085 (3658 posts) - - Show Bio
@Paragon said:
" It's possible Jim's always known, like how Lucius Fox knew in the movies, but chooses not to formally address the issue due to being able to legally deny knowledge of the identity of Batman in a court situation. "
If this isn't true then Jim Gordon  has classic Lois Lane syndrome... Where they have the perceptual awareness of helen keller.
#4 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio
@Paragon said:
" It's possible Jim's always known, like how Lucius Fox knew in the movies, but chooses not to formally address the issue due to being able to legally deny knowledge of the identity of Batman in a court situation. "
we're on the same page about that one
#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm Jason is still legaly dead

#6 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chicago_Bruce: Another issue is the fact that now there are records of Jason Todd in the court system. Bruce tried to make sure that there was no record of his, Dick's, Jason's, Tim's, or anyone else in the Batman Family's fingerprints and DNA in the system. If he finds out that Jason is in jail, he's going to be pissed.
#7 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428: indeed
#8 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: Do you think that Bruce will think Dick's a screwup?
#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428: Because of that? Maybe...
#10 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64: Everything's just going to erupt when Bruce gets back.
#11 Posted by Chicago_Bruce (81 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428: 

agreed!
#12 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428: lol Most likely
#13 Edited by ChadwickDavis (445 posts) - - Show Bio
@Paragon:
It has been verified upon on numerous occasions that Gordon knew who Batman (Bruce Wayne) was so naturally he knew that if Batman was dead there was only one person who could take the mantle (and not go insane by the responsibility.)   
#14 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

hmm  villans should know that is nightwing the one under the cowl.

#15 Posted by Mrs. Tim Drake (268 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheMess1428: interesting point, but i think in an issue of Robin (Tim Drake), Tim goes to prison where Jason is and Jason's put under the name of John Doe. and him and tim were talking about who had a more creative name..alvin draper or john doe. so i'd have to say that Jason's legal name is John Doe.
#16 Posted by Jason Todd_Red Hood1-900 (51 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mrs. Tim Drake:

You are correct it also says that in Batman annual 25
#17 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

In the past, Jim has had opportunities to know Batman's secret identity, I cannot remember the exact issue off hand, but I know Batman offered to tell him on at least one occasion. But Jim has always expressed disinterest, preferring not to know. 

that happened back in no man's land, legends of the dark knight #125,
#18 Posted by tensor (4490 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64:  they won't know its nightwing under the cowl but joker know he us not the real batman
#19 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Mrs. Tim Drake: Never read that issue but I'm sure Alvin Draper is pretty much screwed now because he's listed under terrorist or something now.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.