Did any of you help kill Jason Todd?

Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

In the late 1980's (before i was born) Batman fans got to vote for Jason's death or his survival, the fans voted for him to be killed (5,343 to 5,271), so i was wondering if anyone on the vine voted and if so did they vote for him to be killed or to live?

#1 Posted by Braxxis7 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

my uncle called in
#2 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio
@Braxxis7 said:
" my uncle called in "
And what was his vote?
#3 Posted by Bathory1313 (521 posts) - - Show Bio

I did.. it was a 95 cents call that got me in trouble.. I was 12 years old and well 1900 is close to 1800!!! 

I voted for him to die.... I know morbid.. but I was a 12 year old boy what did you expect!

#4 Posted by inferiorego (22502 posts) - - Show Bio

I voted to kill him off.

Staff
#5 Posted by Donovan Montgomery (5428 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't reading Batman at the time but from the sounds of it, I would have.  I was a Marvel and JL guy. ....but iirc, us Canadians didn't have a vote anyway :(
...but if I knew they planned on bringing him back .....I wouldn't have bothered anyway.
#6 Posted by cbishop (7410 posts) - - Show Bio

I was in high school at the time, and still living at home, so 1-900 numbers were forbidden.  Unlike Bathory1313, I heeded such a warning, so didn't vote.  I would have voted to kill him though - Jason Todd was a terrible Robin. 

On a side note: I think it stinks that DC charged fans to vote for this death, and then undid the death.  When the fans have spoken so definitively, I think it should not be undone, even if it was 20 years later. 

ALTHOUGH, I will say that I thought it was cool when Jason Todd told the Joker that he wasn't crazy and why, and the Joker stopped smiling.

#7 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

I was a few months old when the voting happened but I would have voted to kill him probably.
#8 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio

Before my time.

If those were the numbers though it was close.

@cbishop said:

ALTHOUGH, I will say that I thought it was cool when Jason Todd told the Joker that he wasn't crazy and why, and the Joker stopped smiling. "
I'm pretty sure I remember that but can you remind me when it was? 

Thanks
#9 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" Before my time.

@cbishop said:
ALTHOUGH, I will say that I thought it was cool when Jason Todd told the Joker that he wasn't crazy and why, and the Joker stopped smiling. "
I'm pretty sure I remember that but can you remind me when it was?   Thanks "
He told Joker that he (joker) is'nt as half as crazy as he wants people to think. He wiped the smile of the Jokers face.
#10 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@blade hunter said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:
" Before my time.

@cbishop said:
He told Joker that he (joker) is'nt as half as crazy as he wants people to think. He wiped the smile of the Jokers face. "
Sorry. I meant what issue?
#11 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't... but I would have if I could have.  

#12 Posted by xscarletkittie (594 posts) - - Show Bio

I was just a wee baby so I didn't have a vote.

I really need to read his Robin days to figure out why so many people wanted him dead. I kinda like him as the villain/anti-hero his is today. Suppose the death made him this way so I guess it wasn't bad that he died.

#13 Posted by cbishop (7410 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas:
Hey, Gylan, really sorry, man, but I don't know exactly what issue it was.  My latest Batman issues are #649-654, 666-669, 685 and 687.  My latest Detective issues are #817-820, 850 and 852.  Jason had nabbed the Joker, had him tied to a chair, and was beatin' the snausage out of him.  Then he makes the comment that wipes the smile off of Joker's face.  I looked up the covers here on CV, but nothing rang bells.  My comics are buried in stacks of boxes, in a currently very messy room, or I would just go find it for you.  Sorry I couldn't be more help on that one.
#14 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio
@xscarletkittie said:
" I was just a wee baby so I didn't have a vote.  I really need to read his Robin days to figure out why so many people wanted him dead. I kinda like him as the villain/anti-hero his is today. Suppose the death made him this way so I guess it wasn't bad that he died. "
Im the same, its difficult to find trades with him as robin, the only thing iv read when he's robin is "A death in the family"
#15 Posted by Whitesycamore (5 posts) - - Show Bio

On a side note: I think it stinks that DC charged fans to vote for this death, and then undid the death.  When the fans have spoken so definitively, I think it should not be undone, even if it was 20 years later. 

They didn't speak that definitively; he was killed by a margin of 72 votes out of over 10000, so the fans were split nearly 50/50.

#16 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio
@Whitesycamore said:
"   On a side note: I think it stinks that DC charged fans to vote for this death, and then undid the death.  When the fans have spoken so definitively, I think it should not be undone, even if it was 20 years later. 

They didn't speak that definitively; he was killed by a margin of 72 votes out of over 10000, so the fans were split nearly 50/50. "
well there's a rumor that one guy gave a lote of votes for him to be killed.
#17 Posted by cbishop (7410 posts) - - Show Bio

@Whitesycamore said:

"They didn't speak that definitively; he was killed by a margin of 72 votes out of over 10000, so the fans were split nearly 50/50."

Well, okay, yes, poor word choice on my part.  Point is: the "die" vote won.  If they're gonna charge fans for the vote, they should stick by the results.  But again: some of the stuff they've done with him since he's been back has been cool, so oh well.  I just wish they'd have him pick a side already.  Either be a true superhero, or be a real villain.

#18 Posted by xscarletkittie (594 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas said:
" @blade hunter said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:
" Before my time.

@cbishop said:
He told Joker that he (joker) is'nt as half as crazy as he wants people to think. He wiped the smile of the Jokers face. "
Sorry. I meant what issue? "
Just stumbled upon the issue. It's Batman #649 if you still needed to know.
#19 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@xscarletkittie said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:
" @blade hunter said:
" @Gylan Thomas said:
" Before my time.

@cbishop said:
Sorry. I meant what issue? "
Just stumbled upon the issue. It's Batman #649 if you still needed to know. "
Thanks. Thought it was around there somewhere :)
#20 Posted by Grubich (368 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a crazy idea but, what if someone called one of the #'s sometime now?
#21 Posted by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
"

"
LOL!!!
#23 Edited by Big (330 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the  infamous storyline preceding "Death in the Family" where Batman suspects Jason of murdering a man who killed his girlfriend after being released from prison. The result: Lots of hate from readers. Issues 422-424. 
@xscarletkittie:

#24 Posted by CylonDorado (1867 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't born yet, but I think I would have voted for him to live, because I'm a big softy like that.
#25 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grubich said:
" Just a crazy idea but, what if someone called one of the #'s sometime now? "
Jason Todd would hunt you down and shoot you in the face.
#26 Posted by NightFang (9962 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't but I would have, in order to bring him back as the badass he is now.

#27 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#28 Posted by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

the Comic Book club (yes, we're nerds) at my school did. I think they actually formed to debate the vote, but then they all voted for Jason to die anyway.
#29 Posted by blade hunter (1813 posts) - - Show Bio
@roxamilli said:
" the Comic Book club (yes, we're nerds) at my school did. I think they actually formed to debate the vote, but then they all voted for Jason to die anyway. "
Some stuff says the the same guy voted over 200 times.
#30 Posted by CaptainCockblock (3672 posts) - - Show Bio

I think a better question is who voted to save Jason? That way, we know who to laugh at!

#31 Posted by Sherlock (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasnt around then but my best friends dad voted

#32 Posted by the referee (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

I was alive back then and proudly voted NO, i was young  and felt that the death of any Hero was wrong. Had I known then how the Red Hood would have had such an effect I would have changed my vote to yes. 

#33 Edited by velle37 (6044 posts) - - Show Bio

No... 

*squints eyes* 

But I know someone who did.......
#34 Posted by Blondeep (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone remember the phone numbers?

#35 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@Zoom said:
"

"

ROFL! I love the first one.
#36 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15258 posts) - - Show Bio

I would have if I was old enough back than but all my older friends who are readers killed him

#37 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21340 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#38 Posted by CroakerGeist (17 posts) - - Show Bio

My friend did

#39 Posted by darkbeam (2204 posts) - - Show Bio

@roxamilli said:

" the Comic Book club (yes, we're nerds) at my school did. I think they actually formed to debate the vote, but then they all voted for Jason to die anyway. "

Some stuff says the the same guy voted over 200 times.

I heard that's true the guy hated all Robins.

#40 Posted by The_AntiGeist (8 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder what it would be like if he had lived.

#41 Posted by Grindhousefrau (29 posts) - - Show Bio

@blade_hunter: I wasn't old enough, but I like the Jason Todd in the Alan Davis-illustrated run of Detective Comics.

#42 Posted by Dernman (14889 posts) - - Show Bio

No but I would have.

#43 Posted by daredevil21134 (11347 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't matter anymore.He's back deal with it

#44 Posted by JakeN7 (11527 posts) - - Show Bio

@daredevil21134: What crawled up your butt? It's a fun little question involving comic book history.

#45 Edited by daredevil21134 (11347 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

@daredevil21134: What crawled up your butt? It's a fun little question involving comic book history.

Absolutely nothing.What crawled up yours?

#46 Posted by JakeN7 (11527 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3305 posts) - - Show Bio

@blade_hunter:

That phone call got me a beating. I was in 5th grade at the time and back then my parents were convinced that ALL 1-900 numbers were sex lines (I tried to explain to them that it was for a Batman comic, but they weren't even trying to hear that at the time). But yeah, sore butt and all, I wanted that prick to die.

I didn't expect the Joker to bash his head in with a crowbar though. THAT was a bit excessive, even for me....

#48 Posted by daredevil21134 (11347 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.