Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1754 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

Batman & Robin 25- Discussion [New Variant Cover Pic Inside!]

• 52 results
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RedHoodsDen
    Avatar image for theincrediblezero
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By theincrediblezero

I thought the arc started out fantastically. The first issue was excellent, the story was interesting, the art was good. But then the second issue came along and was pure shit. Easily the worst issue of the series. Art was shit, story was convoluted and ignored the events of Revenge of the Red Hood. Honestly, was Winnick even paying attention?
    1)He says Pyg killed Sasha's papa, when it is explicitly stated several times that Sasha killed her own papa
    2)Sasha is wearing the mask. WHY??
    3)Unrelated to RoRH, who the hell where the animals and what was their purpose for bringing in Jason. It was never explained who the random chick was or what she was trying to accomplish.

Overall rating:
    B&R#25: 6/10
    Arc: 6.5/10

Go read Knight of Vengeance instead.

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I guess it's good this arc doesn't matter in two months time?

theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By theincrediblezero

Indeed.

RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By RedHoodJT

Wait wait wait so this issue came out today? Dammit I need to get to a comic store pronto.

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Variant cover's gorgeous, I bought two. I don't care if the story ends up a letdown.

Rabbit_May_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rabbit_May_Cry

If everything that's happenin' NOW isn't gonna be used come september...does that mean that Scarlet isn't gonna exist?

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I freaking hope so. I just read it. Might as well have been called "Ode to Grant".  

It stunk. No explanations for anything.

Rabbit_May_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rabbit_May_Cry

Scarlet is awesome. She needs to stay. She's part of Jason's life...kinda is his daughter.

On another note...what's with the cover? It constantly makes me think of Captain America.

Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Grubich
    @Rabbit_May_Cry said:
    Scarlet is awesome. She needs to stay. She's part of Jason's life...kinda is his daughter.  On another note...what's with the cover? It constantly makes me think of Captain America.

It's much better than the other cover.
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedHoodsDen
    @Rabbit_May_Cry said:

Scarlet is awesome. She needs to stay. She's part of Jason's life...kinda is his daughter.  On another note...what's with the cover? It constantly makes me think of Captain America.

If we were reading a supervillain who lives in the sewers wearing his dome helmet supervillain costume, playing the pipe organ while crafting new master plans to smudge Batman's reputation, I'd agree with you.  She'd be a great Igor.

But the story literally falls apart with her introduction into things. We're so busy making the effort to take her away from Batman, we don't know why Jason was sprung and who her captors were, or what they wanted of him. Literally the plot was skipped to go "Team-up! Red Copta!! Bitchin! High-Five!!"

Let it all die I say. Outlaws can't come soon enough. REBOOT! Under The Red Hood is all you need to know about the character.Forget every other appearance, every other persona, all the dreck. 

And now that includes stuff Judd Winick just wrote.
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least we have Batman Retroactive to look forward to. And does anyone know what the fucking point of this arc was? WHY DID THEY BREAK HIM OUT? WHO WAS RANDOM FLAME CHICK? WILL JASON EVER GET CLASSY WEAPONRY? Red copter Jason? Really? Cheesiest thing all series.

Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Grubich

I dont suppose any of you could spoil the story and ending for me could you? the nearest comicbook shop is abt an hr away

okayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By okayla

Why is it so ugly? 

@Grubich: Jason runs off with Scarlet. That's it. There's absolutely no other conclusion or ending to this story, blech, it's pretty mediocre.

theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@okayla: because they got a sub-par artist who thinks bad=edgy/hip/cool.
    Rabbit_May_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rabbit_May_Cry

You all DO realize that there's STILL the month of August left to finish things. I know it was a 3 part mini series, but that doesn't take away from the Batman & Robin book still goin'. So things can still be wrapped up. How do you know that the people who broke Jason out AREN'T gonna be the next villains for Batman & Robin...I mean, it IS their book. Give things a chance to play out before shuttin' it down.

And Scarlet can STILL serve purpose in Jason's life...after all...it IS a reboot. Maybe they're gonna have a NEW way of them meetin' and becomin' family.

theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rabbit_May_Cry: Next issue is gonna be about Dick returning to Nightwing.
    okayla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By okayla
    @Rabbit_May_Cry: Well, #1, it's NOT a reboot - especially so in the Batuniverse. They've said it TIME and a time again, Winick himself said it - the Batbooks are essentially untouched, moving forward, not any ' REWRITES' so to speak.   Your bolding is OBNOXIOUS.

Anyway, the solicits for the next few B&R issues don't leave much room for this to be tackled, and it does feel like a waste when there's so little of the Dick/Damian team going on to use three of the remaining issues on the Judd Winick plays with Jason Todd saga. The next villains are going to be the French dudes, it says so explicitly -  now, I'm excited about the return to the French Arkham so to speak but the ridiculous furries aren't likely to be there. But at this point, it doesn't matter, the story was not engaging enough for this to feel like a sort of cliffhanger or interesting character set up. I don't think anyone cares to know what's going on, they just point out that they didn't even bother to half-ass explain it.

There's a difference between something done well and purposeful, and someone dropping the ball.
    Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Grubich

not a reboot. its a relaunch. big difference

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By RedHoodsDen
    @Grubich said:

not a reboot. its a relaunch. big difference

But Winick also said there's gonna be tweaking and that the essentials are still there.  Batman became Batman because someone killed his parents. Whether it's Joe Chill or not is in question. If the Ventriloquist ever died is up in the air. It's not a reboot, it's a redesign, they can do whatever they want, and there's no point denying that. Some firm basic truths have to remain but not the detail of it, picking and choosing, and they'll probably just about never try to define their own timeline on a large meaningful way again because eventually it works against them . You could reboot Jason and keep the essentials there. The non essentials just happen to be every appearance besides Under The Red  Hood. You could virtually ignore everything from 2006-2011 and the character might actually be better for it. No Brothers in Blood, none of it. Under the Red Hood is the only thing that is essential to who the character is now. Take that, and stick him on the Outlaws and it'll work. He is the Robin who died and came back and had a standoff with Batman on how to fight the war on crime. The end. 
    Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Grubich
    @RedHoodsDen: Well i liked Brothers in Blood and the one conflict with with green arrow's sidekick. and the stuff by winick. Gotta say just that one arc under the hood really defines his character
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grubich: You liked Brothers in Blood? Why??
    TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By TheCrowbar

I think these four pages show how much of an asshole Jason is. He's like Deadpool with a mean streak.

Rabbit_May_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Rabbit_May_Cry

Bein' an asshole is a fun thing to do. It offends everyone BUT yourself. Then you get to sit back and laugh at how pissed everyone got. Hahaa...the JOY that is bein' an asshole.

Wait...Jason made Bruce a grandfather. Huh...I always thought it would be Dick who did it first. Hahaa...'cause Jason adopted Scarlet.

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @TheCrowbar: Corre@TheCrowbar said:
    I think these four pages show how much of an asshole Jason is. He's like Deadpool, but without the suck.
    Fix'd
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feliciano2040 said:
    @TheCrowbar: Corre@TheCrowbar said:
    I think these four pages show how much of an asshole Jason is. He's like Deadpool, but without the breaking of the fourth wall.
    Fix'd
    FTFY
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @theincrediblezero said:
    FTFY
    What does that even mean ?!
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feliciano2040: Your google-fu must be weak, bro. Fixed That For You.
    Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

That's a great cover, and a perfect Jason design. The red guns and symbol of Morrison, with the biker look of Winick; awesome.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    @Rabbit_May_Cry said:

If we were reading a supervillain who lives in the sewers wearing his dome helmet supervillain costume, playing the pipe organ while crafting new master plans to smudge Batman's reputation, I'd agree with you.  She'd be a great Igor. But the story literally falls apart with her introduction into things. We're so busy making the effort to take her away from Batman, we don't know why Jason was sprung and who her captors were, or what they wanted of him. Literally the plot was skipped to go "Team-up! Red Copta!! Bitchin! High-Five!!" Let it all die I say. Outlaws can't come soon enough. REBOOT! Under The Red Hood is all you need to know about the character.Forget every other appearance, every other persona, all the dreck.  And now that includes stuff Judd Winick just wrote.
    I have been saying this for months,YEHAAA.LOLOLOLOL.Horrible comic.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @RedHoodsDen said:

But Winick also said there's gonna be tweaking and that the essentials are still there.  Batman became Batman because someone killed his parents. Whether it's Joe Chill or not is in question. If the Ventriloquist ever died is up in the air. It's not a reboot, it's a redesign, they can do whatever they want, and there's no point denying that. Some firm basic truths have to remain but not the detail of it, picking and choosing, and they'll probably just about never try to define their own timeline on a large meaningful way again because eventually it works against them . You could reboot Jason and keep the essentials there. The non essentials just happen to be every appearance besides Under The Red  Hood. You could virtually ignore everything from 2006-2011 and the character might actually be better for it. No Brothers in Blood, none of it. Under the Red Hood is the only thing that is essential to who the character is now. Take that, and stick him on the Outlaws and it'll work. He is the Robin who died and came back and had a standoff with Batman on how to fight the war on crime. The end. 

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/ten-dcnu-myths-busted-110629.html

Check # 1
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Primmaster64

not like its gonna matter...Jason will be with Roy  and Kory soon.

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RedHoodsDen
    @Feliciano2040 said:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/ten-dcnu-myths-busted-110629.html  Check # 1

Right man, But that doesn't mean everything happened. Jason's supposedly a brunnette in September again, so was he ever a redhead? Did Brothers in Blood happen? Did Battle for the Cowl and Revenge of the Red Hood happen, or did it happen dead- on as Tony Daniel and Morrison wrote it? That's what I'm saying. Crisis on Infinite Earths never ended up a total reboot either, the Crisis happened but the history of it on the new Earth was "Anti-Monitor tried to destroy the Universe" One-lone. Because it was based off that timeline.The majority is intact. Tim, Dick, and Jason were Robins who became these new moniker heroes, and the broad strokes on how they got there remain. More often then not, it's the detail that makes the bad story, not the overall plot.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @RedHoodsDen said:

Right man, But that doesn't mean everything happened. Jason's supposedly a brunnette in September again, so was he ever a redhead? Did Brothers in Blood happen? Did Battle for the Cowl and Revenge of the Red Hood happen, or did it happen dead- on as Tony Daniel and Morrison wrote it? That's what I'm saying. Crisis on Infinite Earths never ended up a total reboot either, the Crisis happened but the history of it on the new Earth was "Anti-Monitor tried to destroy the Universe" One-lone. Because it was based off that timeline.The majority is intact. Tim, Dick, and Jason were Robins who became these new moniker heroes, and the broad strokes on how they got there remain. More often then not, it's the detail that makes the bad story, not the overall plot.

The thing is that some things that Grant Morrison (brilliantly) introduced are part of The Silver Age and only merit an explanation in instances of the silver age, naturally Jason coming off as being a brunette again wouldn't disrupt the continuity, or the stories, I haven't read Brothers In Blood, but why wouldn't Revenge Of The Red Hood or Battle For The Cowl still be in continuity ? Dick Grayson being Batman still is, Talia having a child with Bruce Wayne also is in, Jason Todd having red hair was just a characterization tool, nothing else to it, it's not like Bruce won't return from the end of time because Jason isn't a ginger !
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I'm saying I don't believe these are stories you'll hear about as much. I think they will choose to basically not mention some of them with regards to Jason, in one part because the old continuity involves for him things like Superboy Prime and Countdown, and in another, why make it complex for the new readers? It may be in the backgroung somewhere, foggy, and unfocused on but I don't see it impacting him in the same negative ways it has. :Like you said Dick was Batman, now he's Nightwing again. Like I said, the broad strokes. 

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @RedHoodsDen: Eventually writers WILL put their favorite bits from the old universe and into the new one, it's inevitable, and frankly, I really don't think those stories will be eliminated, perhaps they will just be retold with Jason as a brunette...............is "brunette" the right word ? It sounds so wrong, like, gramatically !

What some people, specially Jason Todd fans, DESPERATELY need to understand is that if something is Pre-COIE it doesn't mean it can't be Post-COIE.
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feliciano2040: Goddamn, man. IT CAN'T BE POST-COIE IF IT DOESN'T MAKE ANY SENSE.

LEMME BREAK THIS DOWN FOR YOU LOT.

PRE-COIE 
    >Jason is a strawberry blonde Dick Grayson. His circus parents are murdered by Killer Croc
    >Batman takes him in
    >He can't come up with a new sidekick persona
    >F*CK IT, I'M DYING MY HAIR AND I'LL JUST BE ROBIN 1.5

POST-COIE
    >Jason is a street punk with black hair
    >His dad works for Two-Face, he's very likely dead
    >his mum is a druggie/dying of sickness
    >Jason provides for both of them by boosting tires
    >Jason's mum dies
    >he contuinues to boost tires
    >boosts BAT-TIRES 
    >I LIKE YOUR SPUNK SON, COME BE ROBIN
    >DEATH BY CROWBAR

We are INTRODUCED TO A STREET PUNK WITH BLACK HAIR BOOSTING THE BAT-TIRES. It is inconcievable that Jason would go out of his way to dye his hair whilst providing for his sickly mother and himself. It just doesn't make sense.

DO EVERYONE A FAVOR AND RE-POST WHEN SOMEONE DOESN'T GET IT.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @theincrediblezero: Calm...........down.

What exactly is not making sense to you ?
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feliciano2040: So you read ALL CAPS as yelling, eh? And how does this make sense to you?
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @theincrediblezero said:
    It is inconcievable that Jason would go out of his way to dye his hair whilst providing for his sickly mother and himself.
     Where in the name of all that is holy does this come from ?

Jason Todd told Scarlet that Batman dyed his hair black because he wanted him to look like Dick Grayson, when does it say that he dyed his hair while providing for his mother ?!
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how does Jason have black hair when he's on the streets?

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @theincrediblezero said:
    So how does Jason have black hair when he's on the streets?

Are there images of Jason Todd that are Post-COIE before he was Robin ? 

If there are, It's probably something Morrison overlooked, given how most of his info came from the Batman Encyclopedia, he probably thought that Jason Todd made his debut in Robin costume and made a mistake.

Even then friend, where I come from some hoodlums spend 200$ in getting the latest Nike shoes, it's not the craziest thing to ever happen in comic books that a kid would spend what little money he has on dying his hair black, hell, perhaps he didn't want to get beaten for being a ginger.
    theincrediblezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Feliciano2040: Was hating gingers cool in the 80s? And yes, there are pics of pre-Robin, post-COIE Jason, it is the origin in mentioned in my post.

And you know what? I'm arguing over the internet with a stranger about comics at the dead of night. I sound like an asshole in this thread. Genuinely sorry for that.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @theincrediblezero said:
    Was hating gingers cool in the 80s? And yes, there are pics of pre-Robin, post-COIE Jason, it is the origin in mentioned in my post.  And you know what? I'm arguing over the internet with a stranger about comics at the dead of night. I sound like an asshole in this thread. Genuinely sorry for that.
    Don't worry, we all love Jason our crazy Dick-hating Jason, and we are all hoping his team-up with Arsenal and Starfire comes off nicely.

Though we all know Hoodie and Starfire are going to do more than just "teaming up".
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#45  Edited By daredevil21134

What does anybody think of Jason being a Priest in Flash Point

Grubich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Grubich
    @daredevil21134 said:
    What??!!??!?
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Feliciano2040
    @daredevil21134: Where did that happen ?!
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Feliciano2040 said:
    @daredevil21134: Where did that happen ?!
    World of Flash Point 2
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Grubich said:
    @daredevil21134 said:
    What??!!??!?
    World of Flash Point 2.I think its a tie in
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I listened to the Comic-Vine podcast when it premiered and Winick genuinely cracks me up, funny guy. I like him. I like the idea this big San Francisco liberal who admonished the CV crew for using the derogatory "tranny", and uses the proper terminology for hooker..."Sex worker" has found his niche writing a guy who puts collects criminals' heads in a bag, Doubly the irony, that the writer and character who've taken such shit from fans, together sorta turned things around for eachother. 

But his arc was a mess.  Enough that I agree Winick might be burnt out, and maybe Lobdell should be the one "reinventing" Jason  a bit. Though I'm leary of that too because his work is so keyed to a certain time and style of comic. mid 90s X-men.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.