Anyone else find Jason's newer Red Hood costume Ironic?

• 136 results
Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio

The other day I was thinking about Jason Todd's death (Why, I don't know) at the hands' of The Joker and how he became red Hood. Recently he got a new costume, one that resembles the original Red Hood costume worn by The Joker. I thought it was ironic that he would style his costume after the Joker's because The Joker was the cause of his death. Jason hates The Joker and somewhere inside him he hates what he has become because of him. When he first became the new Red Hood, he wore motorcycle fashion and eventually transitioned from that to a new costume, one resembling The Joker's red Hood suit. My question is Why would he style his costume after the very man who killed him and why would he want to become like him? 

Joker as Red Hood 
Red Hood
#1 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

i suppose it's the same reason James Howlett calls himself Logan or ames Ford from lost called himself Sawyer

#2 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Morrison I'm sure created his costume that way to resemble an older character that he had created as a villain for Animal Man. His costume is almost identical to that with the exception of the color scheme. And I also think that for a time they were planning on making Jason Dicks Joker per se. So for him to have a costume that resembles Joker's Red Hood one it fit. But I don't think that they are planning that for Jason any longer.

#3 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Batman dresses as a bat because he's scared of bats. Maybe Jason chose it specifically because he hates the Joker.

#4 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jotham said:
" Well, Batman dresses as a bat because he's scared of bats. Maybe Jason chose it specifically because he hates the Joker. "
I never thought of it in that way, Jason dressing up as the very thing he hates. Now I realize it isn't so ironic after all.
#5 Posted by TheJokerha (161 posts) - - Show Bio

Where did you get that first picture of The Joker as The Red Hood, please?

Jason may not realize it but by adapting that costume,  he is surrendering to The Joker's will. Joker is always trying to drive his victims insane or push them to become more like him. Or at least become the very thing they used to fight and hate. Like what Joker did in Batman: Confidential. He took a Gotham PD Dectective and tortured him until he became the Batman-hating super villain Bad Cop.
In a way this is a bigger victory over Todd and Batman than just killing the brat.

#6 Posted by Grubich (368 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman & Robin #6

Batman & Robin #6
Jason also says its too late for him in this issue.  Anyone else pissed if this is where hes headed?
#7 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheJokerha:  

The picture of The Joker as the Red Hood was in his image gallery under the section called Pre-Joker.  I believe the image is from Under The Hood, it resembles Doug Mahnke's art style. Jason to me as a character is losing it, he can't become like Joker it just not how the character is supposed to be. He hates the Joker, he killed him.

@Grubich:

Judd Winick was the only writer that handled the character well, lately after the new costume he just went down hill. I just hope he doesn't start wearing white makeup and lipstick.
#8 Posted by Nefarious (18647 posts) - - Show Bio

He looks like Mysterio.

#9 Edited by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nefarious said:

" He looks like Mysterio. "

He does, though I think he reminds more of that one character from Osmosis Jones who's a pill.
#10 Posted by Outside_85 (8110 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it will rattle Bruce.

#11 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio
@Outside_85:  Bruce wasn't said to have been alive when Jason was first introduced in that costume just fyi. 

I personally just think that the costume is retarded and whether he is going down the path of becoming like the joker or whatever, they need to get rid of that stupid ass costume and give him back the biker one or stop that shit immediately cuz he just looks gay.
#12 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

im sorry but how is that even a hood?! he should be the red bowl, or red test tube.

#13 Posted by CrimsonAvenger (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69 said:
" im sorry but how is that even a hood?! he should be the red bowl, or red test tube. "
That is funny and yet so true.
#14 Posted by goldenkey (2927 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69:
or the capsul
#15 Posted by Outside_85 (8110 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodJT:
True enough, but it would rattle Bruce and it would rattle Dick as well.
#16 Posted by Nefarious (18647 posts) - - Show Bio
@CrimsonAvenger: A pill....I wonder.
#17 Posted by RedHoodsDen (496 posts) - - Show Bio
I think the suit's meant to be ironic too. In mocking Batman with his costume, Jason actually looks like a supervillain, and doesn't seem to know it. 

I hate it mind you.
#18 Posted by Sydpart2 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
@Grubich said:
"

Batman & Robin #6

Batman & Robin #6
Jason also says its too late for him in this issue.  Anyone else pissed if this is where hes headed? "
The major theme in Morrison's run has been reversal it's interesting that you posted this image when we look at these two:

His entire run is full of stuff like this, if you don't like the way the outfit looks that's fine it's a taste thing, but he's doing it for a reason and not just because he wanted to bring back the old red hood look.
#19 Edited by RedHoodsDen (496 posts) - - Show Bio

He's doing it because editorial decided Jason had to be an out-and-out villain so he wrote him as physically dastardly-including the costume. Taking on not only traits to highlight how imperfect the fanbase saw him originally as Robin, but also what would be considered physically villainous traits- the receding hairline, the pocky skin, and later physical mutilation with the scar and blown off ear.  Yeah, go re-read it. Morrison shot his fucking ear off to make him more of a Gotham freak. Though I doubt editorial is smart enough to notice.
The nod to the killling joke? Bare in mind you had editorial calling for him to be Dick's Joker that summer.

And then when the movie came out they called him an anti-hero again. 

There's planning...for about a minute with Jason.  You can see it where he was almost Nightwing, almost Red Robin, Almost in Generation Lost. 

Almost..planned...but not quite. 

And I'm glad more people are reading my Wikipedia entries. The Killing Joke nod seemed missed by most.

#20 Posted by entropy_aegis (14216 posts) - - Show Bio

@Grubich said:

"

Batman & Robin #6

Batman & Robin #6
Jason also says its too late for him in this issue.  Anyone else pissed if this is where hes headed? "

last summer DC said that they wanted jason to be dicks joker,makes sense. 
what's the bet that 2 years from now jason turns out to be jokers son?LMAO.

#21 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis:  I hope to god that doesn't happen. I will be so pissed. I mean it would be a good story concept and all but if they were going to do that they should have done it already. Now I think its too late for that.
#22 Posted by RedHoodsDen (496 posts) - - Show Bio

It shouldn't be Jason's problem that Dick hasn't had a worthy adversary in 15 years.

#23 Posted by Grubich (368 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis: Please don't even joke about that.  It'd be interesting, but it would just ruin the character for future comic appearances and he'd probably commit suicide.  Trust me, I've thought about it.
#24 Posted by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen said:
"It shouldn't be Jason's problem that Dick hasn't had a worthy adversary in 15 years. "

lol
#25 Posted by entropy_aegis (14216 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
"@RedHoodsDen said:
"It shouldn't be Jason's problem that Dick hasn't had a worthy adversary in 15 years. "
lol "

deathstroke would beg to differ,and it's not dicks fault they wanted to kill him to make way for jason.
#26 Posted by StarKiller809 (1237 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the new coustume. I would like it if they made it more... I don't know, but it looks to, Jokerish? I also wonder... how can you see in that?
#27 Posted by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio
@StarKiller809 said:
"I don't like the new coustume. I would like it if they made it more... I don't know, but it looks to, Jokerish? I also wonder... how can you see in that? "
#28 Posted by entropy_aegis (14216 posts) - - Show Bio
@StarKiller809 said:
"I don't like the new coustume. I would like it if they made it more... I don't know, but it looks to, Jokerish? I also wonder... how can you see in that? "

Thats cause he's jokers son,LOL.
#29 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio

The costume is too Jokerish. And I know he's not Jokers son. It was just Morrison paying homage to one of his old characters in Animal Man. I hope they change it to something different when he meets up with Bruce and them. Something way better than a Mysterio knock off look.

#30 Posted by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
"@StarKiller809 said:
Thats cause he's jokers son,LOL. "

Keep making fun of Jason and your gonna find out Damian is not really Bruce's son,lol
#31 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134:  Yea man I would totally take your side on that about Damian except everything that Damian does is so much like Bruce that it would be hard to make an argument supporting that lol. But it would be funny to find out that he isn't really Bruce's son he's Jason's. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA
#32 Posted by Iron_Turtle (579 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69 said:
" im sorry but how is that even a hood?! he should be the red bowl, or red test tube. "
or tampon head.
#33 Posted by entropy_aegis (14216 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodJT said:
" @daredevil21134:  Yea man I would totally take your side on that about Damian except everything that Damian does is so much like Bruce that it would be hard to make an argument supporting that lol. But it would be funny to find out that he isn't really Bruce's son he's Jason's. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA "

You actually said something thoughtful,while theres next to no way todd is gonna end up being damians father,i would'nt at all be suprised if damian is not bruces son(personally i have a hunch that it's dick).
@daredevil21134 said:
"@entropy_aegis said:
"@StarKiller809 said:
Thats cause he's jokers son,LOL. "
Keep making fun of Jason and your gonna find out Damian is not really Bruce's son,lol "

It is pretty possible for jason to to be jokers son(UGH yuck),while it's next to impossible for todd to be damians father.LOL
#34 Edited by RedHoodsDen (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Quitely had this as his original look for the Red Hood. The cowboy style trenchcoat and sixshooters was probably to project a "There's a new sheriff in town!" theme.   

Course if you added a hat, he'd look like a red version of 
#35 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis:  Well I didn't even think about Damian being Dick's son. That could happen. And him be the Joker's son, although it could happen and could potentially be a good story, I just don't think that it'll happen. So you should probably step out of the fan fic fantasy you live in and move on. Its not gonna happen.
#36 Posted by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodJT said:
" @daredevil21134:  Yea man I would totally take your side on that about Damian except everything that Damian does is so much like Bruce that it would be hard to make an argument supporting that lol. But it would be funny to find out that he isn't really Bruce's son he's Jason's. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA "

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN!!!!!!
#37 Posted by batflasharrow96 (445 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew the killing joke nod was there and his costume is like that for the same reason bruce wayne is a bat

#38 Posted by RedHoodsDen (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, red domes scare the shit out of me too. 

No, I know. It's the face of their fear angle.

#39 Posted by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodsDen said:
"Yeah, red domes scare the shit out of me too.  No, I know. It's the face of their fear angle. "

lol
#40 Posted by entropy_aegis (14216 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
"@RedHoodJT said:

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN!!!!!! "

even bane kicks the crap out of jason when it comes to talia.

expect we have this which kinda implies bruce.
#41 Edited by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

"@daredevil21134 said:
"@RedHoodJT said:

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN!!!!!! "

even bane kicks the crap out of jason when it comes to talia.

expect we have this which kinda implies bruce. "

Thats what makes it fun because they both hit the same woman

#42 Edited by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio

Bane dosen't beat Jason Todd with Talia,Talia wanted Jason from day one,so hate or love it,I know Jason loved it lol,Talia couldn't wait for Jason to turn 18 what a cougar lol

#43 Posted by entropy_aegis (14216 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
"Bane dosen't beat Jason Todd with Talia,Talia wanted Jason from day one,so hate or love it,I know Jason loved it lol "

Except that the jason incident does'nt fit in with continuity at all,it wreaks of bad fanfic,oh and it was bane who loved it ,jason was just shocked.and talia wanted to restore jason back to bruce not bang him.
#44 Posted by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio

You can say what you want about continuity it happened.Oh it cought him of guard at first but if you look again he grabs her by her face,Talia couldn't wait until Jason was legal,thats one hell of a woman to lose your virginity too lol
#45 Posted by entropy_aegis (14216 posts) - - Show Bio
@daredevil21134 said:
"You can say what you want about continuity it happened.Oh it cought him of guard at first but if you look again he grabs her by her face,Talia couldn't wait until Jason was legal,thats one hell of a woman to lose your virginity too lol "

Ofcourse it did'nt happen,if it cant find a place in continuity it does'nt happen(maybe it was intentional now that i think about it,you know to appease both sides).and if it happened around hush then jason was not legal since he turned so in war games.and she wanted to restore him you know that,regardless this wont get us anywhere.
#46 Posted by daredevil21134 (10828 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis said:
"@daredevil21134 said:
"You can say what you want about continuity it happened.Oh it cought him of guard at first but if you look again he grabs her by her face,Talia couldn't wait until Jason was legal,thats one hell of a woman to lose your virginity too lol "
Ofcourse it did'nt happen,if it cant find a place in continuity it does'nt happen(maybe it was intentional now that i think about it,you know to appease both sides).and if it happened around hush then jason was not legal since he turned so in war games.and she wanted to restore him you know that,regardless this wont get us anywhere. "

I know man i'm just teasing you,you know that bro,lol
#47 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously Entropy why does it piss you off so bad? I mean its in a book. So whether it fits into continuity or not it happened. Its in print. And anyone that has those issues can see it over and over and over again. Get over it already. It may not fit in with continuity in any way but it still doesn't change the fact that it happened in a book and is in print for all to see. But if you saying that it didn't happen because it doesn't fit into continuity helps you sleep at night then by all means think what you want.

#48 Posted by entropy_aegis (14216 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodJT said:
"Seriously Entropy why does it piss you off so bad? I mean its in a book. So whether it fits into continuity or not it happened. Its in print. And anyone that has those issues can see it over and over and over again. Get over it already. It may not fit in with continuity in any way but it still doesn't change the fact that it happened in a book and is in print for all to see. But if you saying that it didn't happen because it doesn't fit into continuity helps you sleep at night then by all means think what you want. "

Talia sleeping with someone other than bruce is not the point,it was NEVER the point.infact i actually want her to date deathstroke or even bane if he goes evil fully.the point is that talia was screwed up in that comic,her own henchman was taking digs at her for Gods sake. 
and it happening does'nt mean anything at all batman kicked spectre does it mean its legit?
#49 Posted by RedHoodJT (527 posts) - - Show Bio
@entropy_aegis:  Could be a legit thing. I don't things like that bother me. If it helps to add a dramatic scene or build up tension or whatever the case may be I overlook it if its something that I don't particularly like. I just know that each writer writes the way they want and if there is a way for them to put something in to a story whether it fits with continuity or not they're going to. So I've just learned to deal with it. Some things I like and others I don't.
#50 Posted by entropy_aegis (14216 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedHoodJT said:
" @entropy_aegis:  Could be a legit thing. I don't things like that bother me. If it helps to add a dramatic scene or build up tension or whatever the case may be I overlook it if its something that I don't particularly like. I just know that each writer writes the way they want and if there is a way for them to put something in to a story whether it fits with continuity or not they're going to. So I've just learned to deal with it. Some things I like and others I don't. "

Thats whats seperates good writers from bad ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.