Follow

James T. Kirk

Character » James T. Kirk appears in 1200 issues.

James Tiberius Kirk became the youngest Captain in the United Federation of Planets' Starfleet, at 31, and is best known for his maverick command of the U.S.S. Enterprise, saving the Earth on two publicly-recognized occasions in 2271 and 2286, and his involvement in a record 17 temporal anomalies.

Star Trek is now cool?!?

Methos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Methos

Who would have thought that Star Trek would suddenly be cool?

Used to be that if you referenced dilithium crystals, could utter the traditional Klingon greeting or knew the difference between a Romulan and a Reman, you were scorned and ridiculed and advised to move out of your mother's basement and get a girlfriend.

Well, no more. Like a time incursion that upends history, the phenomenal mainstream success of J.J. Abrams' new Star Trek movie (now the top-grossing film of 2009) has changed things. With the abruptness of a Vulcan nerve pinch, Star Trek is now hip.

Consider the evidence:

No Caption Provided
    1. Star Trek is suddenly sexy, at least judging by the attention devoted to its cast in glossy fashion magazines and national publications. Eric Bana (Nero) can be found on the cover of Details. Chris Pine (Kirk, above) models suits in GQ. Zoe Saldana (Uhura) graces the cover of Women's Health.

2. President Obama, perhaps the coolest chief executive ever, orders a special screening of Star Trek in the White House. Obama himself is compared to Spock: multiracial, unflappable, supremely logical, really big ears. And POTUS himself admits to being a Trekkie: "I used to love Star Trek," he told Newsweek. "You know, Star Trek was ahead of its time. There was a whole—the special effects weren't real good, but the storylines were always evocative, you know, there was a little commentary and a little pop philosophy for a 10-year-old to absorb."

3. With a constellation of hot young actors newly inhabiting the bridge of the starship Enterprise, many celebrities are finally coming out of the closet, revealing their true Trek roots. They include Rosario Dawson, Megan Fox, Spider-Man's Kirsten Dunst (who actually appeared in an episode of The Next Generation) and even Tom Hanks.

4. Even manly men admit to being Trekkies, such as Karl Urban, the new Dr. McCoy, who appears on Access Hollywood explaining the genesis of Gene Roddenberry's original vision. Karl Urban! Who knew that Eomer was a Trekkie?

No Caption Provided
    5. Footage from Star Trek was part of Andy Samberg's opening sketch for the MTV Movie Awards. That's gotta be a first. And did we mention that Chris Pine was one of the presenters? Or that he's dating The Hills' Audrina Patridge? When was the last time a Star Trek captain was gossip fodder??

6. Star Trek is featured on the May 4 cover of Newsweek, which has a story: "We're all Trekkies now." "Star Trek is way cool. How'd that happen? Because the geeks have inherited the Earth and the White House."

7. Many longtime Trek fans, perhaps sensing that their playground is suddenly being invaded by the cool kids who tormented them for so long, have been openly rebelling against the popularization of their beloved franchise in the form of Abrams' movie. We're not the only ones to see this phenomenon.

8. Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto appear on Saturday Night Live's Weekend Update.

9. Wired magazine's June 2009 "Strategist" feature notes the seismic shift in which Trek overtakes Star Wars for coolness.

10. Star Trek is the top-grossing movie of 2009 domestically, at least until Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen opens this week.

M
    Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Final Arrow

This took you a long time. the new movie was pretty sweet.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
    MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
    @Methos: Because all the cool kids read Wired magazine, lol.

(I am guilty of liking Star Trek and reading Wired)
    The Hottness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By The Hottness

STAR TREK HAS ALWAYS BEEN COOL SON!

No Caption Provided

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By King_Saturn  Online
    I think Star Trek has always been Cool... but now its COOLER  !  People Who Didnt Even Like Star Trek At All Are Now Into Star Trek Because of the 2009 Movie Release... Its Amazing...
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#6  Edited By xerox_kitty

Is it though?  I mean, I know toy manufacturers go crazy over whatever the latest blockbuster movie is, but Forbidden Planet and HMV have endless shelves stuffed full of merchandise they can't shift.  

Jamiracles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jamiracles

Yes, Star Trek is now cool...but "Whats your favorite Star Trek series" will still NOT break the ice with your date at Applebees, you geeks!
    Everyone knows Wookiee is the language of love...

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ARMIV

Isn't funny how things work out that way?
    Nothing on this Earth is so permanent,so it seems.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By speedlgt

I think now I have really seen it all.....trek has ALWAYS been UNCOOL the ultimate sign of a LOSER was a Trek fan.....Now starwars was always about being cool with han solo the pimp daddy of the galaxy and leia in the that gold thong!

Now times have changed starwars fans have taken heat like never before as losers and dorks that will never have girlfriends basically the treatment Trekkie use to get. Now the Trek is cool with its new young hip cast

the roles have changed and as a Starwars guy its kinda sad but hey lucas I put this ON YOU..........

Chaos Agent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chaos Agent
    @speedlgt said:
    " I think now I have really seen it all.....trek has ALWAYS been UNCOOL the ultimate sign of a LOSER was a Trek fan.....Now starwars was always about being cool with han solo the pimp daddy of the galaxy and leia in the that gold thong!Now times have changed starwars fans have taken heat like never before as losers and dorks that will never have girlfriends basically the treatment Trekkie use to get. Now the Trek is cool with its new young hip castthe roles have changed and as a Starwars guy its kinda sad but hey lucas I put this ON YOU.......... "
    Star Wars is still the king of space stories lol
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By speedlgt
    @Chaos Agent said:
    " @speedlgt said:
    " I think now I have really seen it all.....trek has ALWAYS been UNCOOL the ultimate sign of a LOSER was a Trek fan.....Now starwars was always about being cool with han solo the pimp daddy of the galaxy and leia in the that gold thong!Now times have changed starwars fans have taken heat like never before as losers and dorks that will never have girlfriends basically the treatment Trekkie use to get. Now the Trek is cool with its new young hip castthe roles have changed and as a Starwars guy its kinda sad but hey lucas I put this ON YOU.......... "
    Star Wars is still the king of space stories lol "
    yeah dont get me wrong I dont think trek can ever be cooler than wars IMO but trek just got a ton of press and street cred

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.