Follow

James T. Kirk

Character » James T. Kirk appears in 1200 issues.

James Tiberius Kirk became the youngest Captain in the United Federation of Planets' Starfleet, at 31, and is best known for his maverick command of the U.S.S. Enterprise, saving the Earth on two publicly-recognized occasions in 2271 and 2286, and his involvement in a record 17 temporal anomalies.

Original Star Trek With Lens Flares!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

If you watched our video review of Star Trek, you know I (among others) had an issue with the numerous lens flares used in pretty much every single scene.  I thought they were cool at times.  They did help to give a sort of realistic feel to the scenes.  I just thought there were too many and I did get distracted at times.

Geeks Of Doom posted a video that a user pointed them to.  I have to say it's interesting.  What if the original Star Trek had all the lens flares?

What do you think?  Do they work in the original?
    Zghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Zghost

Please tell me the flares arent as bad as that video otherwise im gonna go nuts when I see the movie.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By gmanfromheck

Just check out any recent trailer.  Captain Cascader said it didn't bother him and he barely noticed.

Zghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Zghost

Ok anything on the bridge is probably gonna annoy me but not to bad in the other places in the trailer.

spartan177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By spartan177

I noticed it. Nothing to be annoyed about really though imo

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By King_Saturn
    I thought the Lens Flares were sort of Cool actually... it gave the Star Trek movie a different look... it almost made some of the scenes seem more realistic for some reason...
    dagobon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dagobon

A 1 MIN VIDEO CLIP WITH CONSTANT LENS FLARES WILL OBVIOUSLY BE ANNOYING...ITS OVERKILL...IF I WATCH THAT I MORE TIME , I'LL PROBABLY HAVE A SEIZURE. BUT IN THE NEW MOVIE, I THOUGHT IT WAS FINE. ALL IT DID WAS GIVE IT A UNIQUE "EPIC" LOOK. THE MOVIE WAS STILL VERY WELL DONE.

dagobon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dagobon

AND THE ORIGINAL SHOULD BE LEFT ALONE. LETS NOT PULL A "LUCAS" SPECIAL EDITION....AND HAVE SOMEONE SHOOT FIRST AT SPOCK ,BEFORE HE DOES THE VULCAN NERVE PINCH!

Deo Wade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Deo Wade

I noticed it, but it didn't bother me at all. It actually made the scenes look better in some parts.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PrinceIMC

I actually think that clip with Khan looked better with the lens flares. Distracted from the cheesy sets and costumes. I didn't mind them in the movie.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Media_Master

I didn't notice the flares at all while I watch the movie

E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.
    Lens flares.....Your the only one who cares G-man.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

its funny when a movie is THAT GOOD I never even notice that sort of stuff...

only when its utter shite do i sit there picking on the little details!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gmanfromheck
    .Mistress Redhead. said:
    "its funny when a movie is THAT GOOD I never even notice that sort of stuff...only when its utter shite do i sit there picking on the little details! "
    That could be the case.  Cascader loved the movie and said he didn't really notice.  I did like it a lot but they started bothering me.  As I said, I did think they were neat at times.  I just didn't think they should be in every single scene.  Maybe it's because I noticed them in the trailers and images (when I was posting news stories before the movie came out) that I was overly aware of them?
    mattydeNero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mattydeNero

Are there lens flares on LOST?  Or were they ever on ALIAS?  If you watch FRINGE, it's the same way as STAR TREK.  They're all over the place.  That's what I was thinking of when I first noticed them in the film.  I guess it's the new, hip style of production/directing.  I really didn't bother me.  I saw this video yesterday and all I could think about was who made it and the precious time they could've spent doing something else.  Not knocking the episode itself.  If it were not for "Space Seed", we wouldn't have what is the greatest Star Trek film to date, and the film all other Treks are compared to.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By warlock360

probably would over do it if you ask me, i mean, it's like photoshopping the whole movie, having all those lens flares would all sorts of distort star trek of what it used to be.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

G-Man said:
    ".Mistress Redhead. said:
    "its funny when a movie is THAT GOOD I never even notice that sort of stuff...only when its utter shite do i sit there picking on the little details! "
    That could be the case.  Cascader loved the movie and said he didn't really notice.  I did like it a lot but they started bothering me.  As I said, I did think they were neat at times.  I just didn't think they should be in every single scene.  Maybe it's because I noticed them in the trailers and images (when I was posting news stories before the movie came out) that I was overly aware of them?"
    Yeah could be!

Normally im as bad, i pick out everything that bugs me.. i would have to watch it again to see what you mean about the flares!
    deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I was looking for the lens flares in the movie and didn't notice them. Of course my wife had to be carried out on a stretcher - something about a siezure during the movie...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gmanfromheck

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

CommanderSpock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CommanderSpock

Haha! Classic! That was really funny and you did a really good job. Of course you exaggerated a bit; that's why it was so funny I suppose. It was extremely distracting.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.