Follow

James Robinson

Person » James Robinson is credited in 876 issues.

British comic book writer based in San Francisco. Sometimes credited as James Dale Robinson. He is best known for his 90s series: Starman, and as the writer for Earth 2 in the New 52.

James Robinson to Leave EARTH 2

• 176 results
    Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

It seems like james could be yankin our chain...right...please that him be....joking....its not funny james....I love your work here at DC....ugh!

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Wth!!!! NOOOO!!!!! WHY??!!! Oh man :(

micangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notarandomguy: that's been my personal experience. It's been one disenchantment after another and I keep dropping titles. DC just doesn't feel like DC anymore

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

At least Rex is going to the beach

urstenky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By urstenky

GOOD!! GREAT!! Now, I would like to see DC cancel Earth-2 and re-establish the prior incarnation of the JSA and Alan Scott!! What a mistake DC made when they decided to re-write their history! Give me pre-52 any day!!

cobra88king8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Why am I not surprised? I now know what D in DC stands for, Dumb

Dbennett6684

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That really sucks-Earth 2 was pretty much the only book from the big 2 that has that "retro/classic" sort of feel (like most of the Dynamite books have). I'll have to take a hard look at his successor to think about keeping the book. Truly one of my faves each month. James, please don't stop visiting the podcast!

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By EnSabahNurX

@urstenky said:

GOOD!! GREAT!! Now, I would like to see DC cancel Earth-2 and re-establish the prior incarnation of the JSA and Alan Scott!! What a mistake DC made when they decided to re-write their history! Give me pre-52 any day!!

That's not how this works. It's pretty definite that's not happening. Just assume the old Earth-2 is now on another earth since things were shifted after flashpoint. Or maybe it's time to accept that, that reality is done. Re-read the trades, change happens. O_o

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

If this doesn't scream "Houston, we have a problem..." to DC, I don't know what will.

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

While the last few issues of Earth 2 were a bit dry it was one of the few books I actually actively liked from the reboot. I sure hope someone can above and beyond what he started but I won't hold my breath.

ILLO_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had bad feeling ever since they said that Earth 2 Batman was going to be introduced in the annual. Even though I'm interested to see E2 Batman I thought whole point of E2 was to use golden age and lesser known characters that would not show up on the primary earth. I can't help but think this had something to do with it, but I can only speculate. Maybe one day James will let us know why he made this decision.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#112  Edited By Stormbox

Damn, i was actually interested in picking this up once batman inc ended

Oh well, lets just hope the new writer is good

TitanTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#113  Edited By TitanTempest

@mucklefluga said:

What!!! But he spoke about his massive crossover with the regular Earth and his huge long term plans! DC Editorial sucks balls. Have to say it bluntly

^^^^ This

Its my favorite book, I was excited to hear him talk of all his future plans. Now thats all down the drain. In my head I was hoping Robinson could create more New 52 titles expanding the Earth 2 universe. Sad day!

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

huge blow about him leaving earth 2 aside, why is he leaving dc? damn you dc.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#115  Edited By Zeeguy91

@inkink said:

Lets see before the reboot Wonder Woman was lost in JMS story arc odyssey so I see zero reason why Azzerello could not have told his story. Aquaman has seen very little change he is still married he still had a son that died there is no reason he could not of had these stories in the old DCU. Animal Man and Swamp Thing could of existed in the old DCU and had the same stories all they needed was a new number one issue it was that simple. Most of these good stories would have worked fine in the old DCU and its simple to see that.

The new universe is a mess that was not well thought out and it has been around to long to fix the mess it has become. So the simple answer is you have to shake it up hugely or you have to reboot again. People forget Marvel had rebooted one after Heroes Reborn so if you do a second reboot that is good people will forget the bad. I think the idea that people will just forget about 70 years of history is ridiculous and far fetched especially when you give them a universe that was not thought out. I am curious what do you miss from the old DCU?

Lee is a great artist but he is one of the worst business minds in comics look at his track record. He is an artist and only and artist people need to learn that. Well when they are losing so heavily to there arc enemy Marvel in market share it obvious to everyone that they made a mistake. DC knows this and if you think they would not reboot again because of pride you are delusional, they want to make money and beat there competition. Right now there making money but not as much as they can and there losing BAD to Marvel.

Um....no. I don't even know what you're trying to say because it makes no sense whatsoever. You know what you're saying is not true. The gods are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than what they were pre-New 52. Ares was a blonde pretty boy before Flashpoint. Eros was like some weird hippy. And for some reason, they didn't play that big of a role in the Wonder Woman mythos before Flashpoint. Now they are much more prominent and very different. Wonder Woman is just a totally different book than it was pre-Flashpoint.

Likewise, Aquaman got a major overhaul in terms of history. I'm not sure his son still existed, unless there was a mention somewhere I'm forgetting. Also, a major component of his backstory was retconned/added in that now, he was part of another team before joining the Justice League.

Also, what 70 years of history? Unless you missed the newsflash, DC has rebooted MANY times in the past. Silver Age. Crisis on Infinite Earths. Zero Hour. Infinite Crisis. And there's nothing stopping you from going back and reading those old stories. DC hasn't erased them from existence. They haven't gone and cleaned the shelves of the comic stores of their old graphic novels. In fact, in many cases, DC's been advertising old stories. They just realize that a story doesn't need to be in continuity to be enjoyed. An arc just needs a start, middle, and end. That's it.

And to answer your question, I'll say that I miss some of the things that I pointed out as problems. I miss some of the pre-Flashpoint Teen Titans continuity, especially that of the classic Wolfman/Perez run on New Teen Titans. I also miss the Outsiders. They were one of my favorite teams of all time and I loved Dixon's run from '07. However, a lot of what I loved was being trashed due to bad writing right before the reboot.

lorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I hope this was because he wants to put his talents toward a cool creater owned project at Image (or elseware) and not because he was buttng heads DC over creative differences. Mr Robinson has shown he has greative creative ability and I am sure he will land on his feet. I would like to see DC make a priority of Earth 2 and continue the good work done so far, rather than changing it or canceling it.

Or35ti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:(

QuantomMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By QuantomMan

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

so while I got sidetracked ranting and raving. the thought that struck me that Earth 2 really has no ties to the main 52 universe as it's a alternate earth. So with Robinson leaving there is no telling where this book could go or turn into. this can get very bad very quickly OR take off in a cool new direction. I hope they keep Nicola Scott on as artist in any case

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeeguy91 said:

@inkink said:

Lets see before the reboot Wonder Woman was lost in JMS story arc odyssey so I see zero reason why Azzerello could not have told his story. Aquaman has seen very little change he is still married he still had a son that died there is no reason he could not of had these stories in the old DCU. Animal Man and Swamp Thing could of existed in the old DCU and had the same stories all they needed was a new number one issue it was that simple. Most of these good stories would have worked fine in the old DCU and its simple to see that.

The new universe is a mess that was not well thought out and it has been around to long to fix the mess it has become. So the simple answer is you have to shake it up hugely or you have to reboot again. People forget Marvel had rebooted one after Heroes Reborn so if you do a second reboot that is good people will forget the bad. I think the idea that people will just forget about 70 years of history is ridiculous and far fetched especially when you give them a universe that was not thought out. I am curious what do you miss from the old DCU?

Lee is a great artist but he is one of the worst business minds in comics look at his track record. He is an artist and only and artist people need to learn that. Well when they are losing so heavily to there arc enemy Marvel in market share it obvious to everyone that they made a mistake. DC knows this and if you think they would not reboot again because of pride you are delusional, they want to make money and beat there competition. Right now there making money but not as much as they can and there losing BAD to Marvel.

Um....no. I don't even know what you're trying to say because it makes no sense whatsoever. You know what you're saying is not true. The gods are COMPLETELY DIFFERENT than what they were pre-New 52. Ares was a blonde pretty boy before Flashpoint. Eros was like some weird hippy. And for some reason, they didn't play that big of a role in the Wonder Woman mythos before Flashpoint. Now they are much more prominent and very different. Wonder Woman is just a totally different book than it was pre-Flashpoint.

Likewise, Aquaman got a major overhaul in terms of history. I'm not sure his son still existed, unless there was a mention somewhere I'm forgetting. Also, a major component of his backstory was retconned/added in that now, he was part of another team before joining the Justice League.

Also, what 70 years of history? Unless you missed the newsflash, DC has rebooted MANY times in the past. Silver Age. Crisis on Infinite Earths. Zero Hour. Infinite Crisis. And there's nothing stopping you from going back and reading those old stories. DC hasn't erased them from existence. They haven't gone and cleaned the shelves of the comic stores of their old graphic novels. In fact, in many cases, DC's been advertising old stories. They just realize that a story doesn't need to be in continuity to be enjoyed. An arc just needs a start, middle, and end. That's it.

And to answer your question, I'll say that I miss some of the things that I pointed out as problems. I miss some of the pre-Flashpoint Teen Titans continuity, especially that of the classic Wolfman/Perez run on New Teen Titans. I also miss the Outsiders. They were one of my favorite teams of all time and I loved Dixon's run from '07. However, a lot of what I loved was being trashed due to bad writing right before the reboot.

True. Aquaman was completly rebooted :.

• Mera and Arthur never had a son. The reason behind the hatred between Arthur and Blcak Manta changed too : Aquaman killed Black Manta's father (out of rage because his own father had an heart attack during Black Manta's attackç
    • Arthur didn't get banished/left to die from Atlantis because he was blonde (I guess it was rebooted at some point before that)
    • Arthur is the son of a human and an atlantean, whereas Orm is a full atlantean
    • Tula is Orm's sister
    • Garth hs never been aqualad (we know a purple ayes kid exist, but that's all)
    • I am not even sure if Blackest Night / Brightest Day happened as far as he is concerned (I don't think thre is a mention of his death anywhere)

salmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By salmy

Morrison, Fialkov, Diggle, Winick leave. Does China Mieville get a new book? So, seriously what is going on at DC? I love DC, mainly because of The Batman, but they are dropping writers like so much volleyball. I don't get it. They try to bring new writer in, which is good, but they are just getting rid of anyone with established cred. Who's next Azzarello? That would be the final straw for me. I'm interested in Venditti, and I would read XO Man of War if I had the money, but its going to be a shake up at Green Lantern if he can't produce. They got Layman from Chew who I love but it didn't make me pick back up Detective. So I don't know, it seems like they are killing any ssales they got from the new 52. I wonder if anymore dirty laundry is going to come out from this.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By ptigrusmagus

Did not expect that. Enjoying the current Tower story and was kinda hoping DC would put him on Worlds Finest. So whats going on at DC? Why does it seem unscheduled departures are happening more and more? If it's not Batman or Supes the creative team makes a big difference if I'm going to read a book.

Agent_Prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

I fully expect James to end up where most flourish, at Image. Earth 2 was not a great book, but at least it was a chance for something not on the fixed path of the New 52. I expect the book to further decline and ultimately stop, same as Batman Incorporated will when Morrison has gone.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Lamenoire

Morrison is still at DC (multiversity next year).

As far as we know, Robinson's decision is not about "professional differences". A run of 17 issue is not bad. And he doesn't seems that pissed of (like Liefeld or Fialkov).

I am really enjoying Earth 2. I just hope a good writer will replace him. I would be on board with Venditti or Pak (after all he will write Superman/Batman featuring Earth 2 batman and superman).
    But if it ends up being Scott Lobdell or Nocanti I will stop with Earth 2 16...

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

well lets do the math.
    every major name leaves DC.Except the ones that are willing to give in to the editorials demands. Geoff johns,Scott Snyder and Jeff Lemire are the prominent examples in the end DC will have 3 writers for 52 titles.
    The decisions taken since the new 52 are terrible.Good titles get no advertising (ex.demon knights,i vampire) we have an oversupply of batman,superman books,the editorial seems to have more power than it deserves and the creative teams are completely unhappy.

Avatar image for dontbelievethehyperion
    dontbelievethehyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love to see Robinson take a crack at the Deathmatch world over at boom studio assuming there's any heroes left after it's over.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By kidchipotle

BOOOOOOO!!! Although, the Doctor Fate arc was pretty boring and bad, overall the book was great. I hope DC signs on a BETTER writer. "Preferably" Geoff Johns or Grant Morrison or Scott Snyder or Scott Lobdell..you know, the "DC franchises."

InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By InkInk

@zeeguy91 said:

@inkink said:

Wonder Woman could of been done. Odyssey was a reboot attempt with Wonder Woman and it did not work after that story was done there is no reason they could not of done this new storyline saying well the gods look different well there gods Zeus can change his appearance so why couldn't any of the other gods? Again they could of used the bad story Odyssey and its fall out as a chance to redo a few things to help Azzerello's story. If anything Wonder Woman's book now was changed up because DC wanted to compete with Thor. I like this new Wonder Woman series but if you slapped a number one on it after Odyssey you could of kept it in the old universe.

I was mistaken about Aquaman's son but still there is no reason why he could not of become this character in the old universe. It makes zero sense how Blackest Night has not happened in Aquaman yet it has in Green Lantern. He should still remember being dead yet with this horrible buffet style pick what you want of the old universe it makes no sense.

Sigh ....Those reboots still kept the original numbering and did not just say HEY we think Superman needs to be single Oh and Flash as well and while were at it lets changes a bunch of long standing characters for no real reason other to be considered progressive yet were actually going about it the wrong way. I understand comics need reboots from time to time but they must be thought out this one was not. If you want to reboot to get rid of say Blackest Night ok but to say no its starting from day one and Superheroes have only existed for 5 years yet a ton of stuff happened from the old universe. Reboots to be a long term successes need to do two thing keep the old fans happy and draw in new fans. Your right those great old stories still exist and I still read them but sometimes its a little hard for someone that is a long time fan to see the sorry state that DC is in now.

Teen Titans was hard to lose, Wolfman/Perez had built such a rich history and to have that wiped away sucked. I think what killed me more about that was the new book simply did nothing for me.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By RustyRoy

What the hell is wrong with DC? Why is every good writer leaving? Earth 2 is such a great book and it is also one of their best selling titles. Its also not connected to the main earth. I don't see why they should have a problem with Robinson. Fire whoever responsible for this.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Morrison is still at DC (multiversity next year).

As far as we know, Robinson's decision is not about "professional differences". A run of 17 issue is not bad. And he doesn't seems that pissed of (like Liefeld or Fialkov).

I am really enjoying Earth 2. I just hope a good writer will replace him. I would be on board with Venditti or Pak (after all he will write Superman/Batman featuring Earth 2 batman and superman).

But if it ends up being Scott Lobdell or Nocanti I will stop with Earth 2 16...

Its hard not to think it was not professional differences when last month he was hyping up a huge cross over with the earth one that was supposed to start late next year.

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@inkink said:

Earth 2 was the only thing stopping DC from reverting about the old universe with Robinson off the book and gone from the company. I guess his crossover planed for next year is off and to me this means DC is rebooting again after Trinity War.

Good point. I doubt they will revert though, they've simply got too much invested into the New 52 to just go back. But I wouldn't be surprised if a Flashpoint 2 happened that sort of set everything back after a fairly long aftermath either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Bad news! I was liking Ultimate JSA.

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sucks something fierce.

Voltes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Voltes

NOOO! NOOOOne cares. New 52 wait did I miss something. Mess, embarrassment.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

WHHAAAAATTTTTTT???

F**K The Editors and the higher ups at Dc who are causing this. I would never wanna work for DC.

Avatar image for banestrokelobogrundybatarrow
    BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I hope he has an awsome life.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By deadpool25mm

After he turned Alan to gay, he should be off. he is a good writer but that realy pissed me off and i stoped reading Earth 2 after like 2 issues, I want to read a comic where I can enjoy and not a guy kissing another guy and thinking about him in a gay way, I mean wtf.

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
    Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, are people seriously still complaining about Alan Scott being gay? Really? Get over it. It was one of the few actually good changes DC made

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

This is really awful news. I wonder what made him leave? I mean he clearly wasn't planning this all along, he had talked about Earth 2 stories that would take place years from now, the meeting of the JSA and the JLA and the future characters of Earth 2. And now his plans might never happen for Earth 2.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@br_havoc:

True. But don't forget he is teasing something happening late next year. It means at least 12 issue

Come on, 30 issue seems a huge run for anyone. Robinson is creating a whole world with Earth 2.

And making a crossover with other titles (probably Justice League) would probably be a huge work on his own...

Issue 16 is probably coming in october (september being the Villains'month).So he continues the current arc (well, the one starting in the annual and in issue 13)

Robinson leave them quite some time to find a decent replacement

Sure, James Robinson isn't Liefield so he won't slam the door, burn bridges on twitter and leave ship early while 2 issue are still solicited... but this would be odd if there is a problem between him and DC.

Avatar image for michaelthemighty17
    michaelthemighty17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

NOoooooOOOOOO dumb dc this was like the best book if james is leaving what about nicola is she still on the art????????that might save it.i wonder who will take the reigns??????O.o

Tagster749

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved James and his run on Earth 2, not to mention his pod cast contributions. Wish him all the best for all his future projects.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@br_havoc:

True. But don't forget he is teasing something happening late next year. It means at least 12 issue

Come on, 30 issue seems a huge run for anyone. Robinson is creating a whole world with Earth 2.

And making a crossover with other titles (probably Justice League) would probably be a huge work on his own...

Issue 16 is probably coming in october (september being the Villains'month).So he continues the current arc (well, the one starting in the annual and in issue 13)

Robinson leave them quite some time to find a decent replacement

Sure, James Robinson isn't Liefield so he won't slam the door, burn bridges on twitter and leave ship early while 2 issue are still solicited... but this would be odd if there is a problem between him and DC.

The sad thing is 30 issues is no a long run. In this age of comics we have this notion that it is but its not this book was his. They gave it to Robinson so he could build a full new universe and that takes time something he did not get. Heck it took Johns years and years to rebuild the Green Lantern universe.

I do not understand what you are trying to say with your point about crossovers he would never of worked on a crossover alone. It would of been him John's,Lee,Didio and Harras mapping it out and that would be hard to deal with because lets face it 3 of those four are idiots.

Robinson left very respectful,if it was the editors that made him leave maybe he is like Mark Waid and wants to have a lot of control on the books he works on.

As for his replacement Robinson is a pretty big name so I would like to think they will attempt to get a big name to fill his shoes but I am worried that they will give it to Lobdell the company man or worse Didio will fill in O.O

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After he turned Alan to gay, he should be off. he is a good writer but that realy pissed me off and i stoped reading Earth 2 after like 2 issues, I want to read a comic where I can enjoy and not a guy kissing another guy and thinking about him in a gay way, I mean wtf.

Real mature

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I game up on Earth 2 after issue #5 because the writing is so awkward and childish at times so I son't care about this so much.

However, writers leaving DC left, right and centre is really worrying me; Fialkov, Diggle, now Robinson. The only writers who are safe are Snyder, Lemire and Johns. Even Gail Simone was kicked off for a while.

AWeekInGeekdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By AWeekInGeekdom

No :( !! my favorite dc book (aside from Aquaman) right now...

Loading Video...

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Noes another writer is leaving DC, DC is so evil so so evil and bad and evil and bad at comics.

^ most of these comments

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

@the_stegman: Haven't read any of his writing, but corny writing would seem fitting for a book about the Golden Age characters.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@crazyscarecrow: Yes, but they aren't LIVING in the Golden Age, it's a parallel reality that is in the year 2013 like Earth 1. And I don't think he's doing it on purpose, hearing Wotan explain every plot point that led up to his confrontation with Fate and having him be ''sassy'' To Mrs. Garrick in a PG way was tough to read through.

I seriously don't know why everyone is praising this so much, or are they just complaining about DC and its writer problems?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By colonyofcells

Maybe dc is actually trying to save the earth 2 title by trying out a better writer.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.