James Robinson to Leave EARTH 2

• 176 results
#51 Posted by JoethebigItalianguy (3 posts) - - Show Bio

So the continuing downward spiral of DC comics continues. Like the Titanic, the DC ship continues to sink, while it's First Class passengers (DiDio and Lee) continue to deny that water is coming up over the bow and the watertight compartments are flooding. Meanwhile, all of the talented and sensible writers and artists continue to make for the lifeboats.

I myself stopped reading DC within the first year. I gave them 12 months to wow me with their "fresh, new" stuff, and in my opinion, failed at every turn. The nonsensical changes, the buffet-style "pick what you want" history that somehow all happened in 5 years, the horrible costume designs (The 90's ended for a reason, guys), the anti-climatic events, the almost monthly cancellation of titles (one of my friends has had the misfortune to see nearly every title he's collected so far be cancelled because the book "didn't find it's audience"), and changes made to make the books appear more "diverse" (Turning Alan Scott gay is the best example).

Since then, I've found less and less joy in comics; Marvel has done the same relaunch thing, but appears to be a little more cautious about it. But it just doesn't feel...right. I guess I've finally outgrown comics all together.

#52 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio
#53 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7031 posts) - - Show Bio

#54 Posted by dngn4774 (3150 posts) - - Show Bio

This is really starting to depress me. Two of my favorite titles (I,Vampire and Demon Knights) are gone and Earth 2 is going to take a big hit with this lose. I love DC but I need more than just the mainstream books.

#55 Edited by krspaceT (1485 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one half expecting this to be a joke?

#56 Posted by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

God DAMN! first Demon Knights gets the axe, now this?! WTF, DC?! did you drop this amazeballs writer from a book he has been KILLING?! or did James leave for opportunities elsewhere? inquiring minds want to know.

#57 Edited by Dernman (15111 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not surprised. I could feel DC getting more involved with his book as the time went on. Now with Multiversity coming up I can just imagine how much they had intended to mess with that.

#58 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3554 posts) - - Show Bio
This news made Nico Robin sad.

This is terrible news. I've always listened to and enjoyed James on the podcast. As a writer, I always felt that he put more heart and care into the characters as people outside of their incredible adventures. Most writers spend too much time on making comic characters heroes and not enough time on them as people. James put more character into characters.

One really has to wonder what is going on at DC. Remember back when they fired Gail Simone through an email, but then quickly rehired her? This just starts to reinforce my belief that the problem with comics now isn't the creative teams. It's editorial.

I almost feel as if everyone should buy up James' last issue, then just drop the book as a statement.

I hope we still get visits from him on the podcast. He's one of my favorite guests. I hope he gets a new project really soon that allows him to put forth his talents.

#59 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

James IS Earth-2 as far as I'm concerned. I liked it way more than the main Justice League title. Looks like I'm dropping after issue 16.

I agree 100%. Taking James off Earth 2 makes as much sense as taking him off Starman would have. He clearly had years of stories planned. This is terrible news.

#60 Posted by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

#61 Posted by krspaceT (1485 posts) - - Show Bio

This doesn't necessarily mean Robinson is leaving because of DC editorial issues or whatever. Earth-2 was his only book. 17 issues (+ the annual) is a substantial run, and it allowed him to build up the world from scratch. A good writer could very well pick it up and take it to good places.

Finally, someone actually has sense.

@inkink said:

@zeeguy91 said:

@inkink said:

Earth 2 was the only thing stopping DC from reverting about the old universe with Robinson off the book and gone from the company. I guess his crossover planed for next year is off and to me this means DC is rebooting again after Trinity War.

Um....that's really interesting logic, but I don't think it'll hold up.

Was my opinion and my logic tells me that DC is losing all of what was accomplished with the new 52 there market share is lower then it was before the new 52 had started and they have this thing Trinity War coming up with an all powerful box involved my logic tells me there will be a huge shake up to the universe that is desperately needing it. Its time to save the sinking ship if not the new 52 will be remembered as DC's Heroes Reborn.

Justice League, JLA, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Nightwing, Batman, Batman and Insert character here, Green Arrow, Animal Man, Justice League Dark, Constantine, Talon, All Star Western, Earth 2, Demon Knights, Batman Incorporated and Red Hood and the Outlaws. At the moment, these titles are the ones generally regarded as the best rating rise from fans, and I probably missed one or two. (Insert something Justin Jordan is writing, Dial H or Batgirl...)

If you count Dial and Barb's, that's 21 titles out of 52, from a limited perspective. While I read Teen Titans, Superman, New Guardians and a few others, I aimed for the least arguable in this rant here

Heroes Reborn was smaller, and had none of these. They were also Rob Liefield made....

Marvel has good titles, I will not argue that. However, their dominance in the market is due to near constant events, movie inflation and double monthing.

Now, while I copy and paste this argument for a blog, I await a war over this

#62 Posted by kantrip (145 posts) - - Show Bio

:( That sucks. I hope he has some new projects coming up. I'll still follow Earth 2 depending on how the new creative team/editorial handles it. And I also have the same feeling about JLD after Trinity War. I think it may end in light of something new and shiny and also able to have JL slapped on it.

#63 Edited by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

OH, $%#%*&^!!! This is one of the few series I'm interested in!! CRUD!

#64 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5426 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad to see him go as Earth-2 was just getting good. Prior to the Dr. Fate arc I was almost going to let this title go because it was good but not great by any means. Ill ride with for a couple more issues to see if it holds my attention.

#65 Posted by gregroyj42 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

this sucks next to batman this is my favorite dc book. They need to keep the good writers happy. Get rid of everyone else.

#66 Posted by Ben3000 (45 posts) - - Show Bio

Sad to see him go man. He's the first writer I knew nothing about prior to reading Earth 2. So hearing him leaving is heartbreaking. I'll still follow Earth 2 depending on the new creative team along with how editorial handles it. I wish Mr.Robinson nothing but success in his next project whatever that maybe.

#67 Posted by knightofthechronicle (689 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Well then...I see you're taking this well.

#68 Posted by Atomiic (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Selfishly Im sad to see him go, I was hoping for around 25+ issues of robinson on this book. It was something that I picked up out of curiosity and it became on of my favorite books.

#69 Edited by Howard_Go (43 posts) - - Show Bio

They probably wanted to make the book all about superman or batman so he said no and then got fired. James you were the only reason I even ever considered buying a dc comic I hope marvel picks you up to do a series i would buy every issue

#70 Posted by arnoldoaad (1007 posts) - - Show Bio

IT IS ALL PART OF THE PLAN

said Bob Harras

#71 Posted by SmashBrawler (5743 posts) - - Show Bio

Dafuq? How-just-what?

#72 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1066 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91: Yes, seriously if a bill of goods is presented to me as hitting the reset button on your entire line of books to update your characters and take a modern spin on your properties..Great.

But once you hit that reset, and the new product is inferior to the one you wanted to update, I call that a failure.

#73 Edited by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrfuzzynutz said:

@zeeguy91: Yes, seriously if a bill of goods is presented to me as hitting the reset button on your entire line of books to update your characters and take a modern spin on your properties..Great.

But once you hit that reset, and the new product is inferior to the one you wanted to update, I call that a failure.

Do you remember the crapload of bad runs that came before the New 52? Teen Titans had had years of mediocre writing. Outsiders was a shell of its former self. Pretty much the entire DCU had become dominated by the happenings of the Lantern universe, in order to link it with Geoff Johns and therefore boost sales. The only surefire sellers at DC during that time were Green Lantern and Batman. Its pretty much the same old story with the New 52, except a lot more is worth buying. New 52 revitalized and gave an exciting new direction to some of the properties, with good writing, and at the same time failed with others.

Its not the reboot. Because, actually, a majority of the New 52 titles came out incredibly strong at the beginning. I can't think of any of the first arcs of the titles that I read that I didn't enjoy. I even thought the first arc of Teen Titans was pretty strong. No, instead, its what DC editorial has chosen to do once they were some ways into the reboot. All of sudden rewriting what had already been written, interfering with creative teams, etc.

End of story, Bob Harras needs to go. NOW!! He's is ruining what could have been and what still could be a great opportunity for the DC Universe.

#74 Posted by SwampPing (138 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like I just got dumped :(

#75 Edited by ghostcopy (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really going to miss James I believe he has done an amazing job on earth 2. Will be looking forward to seeing what he does next.

#76 Posted by manwithoutshame (654 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the first few issues of Earth 2, but it became overwritten and boring to me. I think a new writer is just what this series needs.

#77 Posted by judasnixon (6586 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope James Makes a killing at Image.......

#78 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

It does seem like dc wanted a better writer for earth 2. I hope somebody interesting can help do the podcasts bec. James Robinson was great in the podcasts.

#79 Posted by InkInk (181 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@mrfuzzynutz said:

Do you remember the crapload of bad runs that came before the New 52? Teen Titans had had years of mediocre writing. Outsiders was a shell of its former self. Pretty much the entire DCU had become dominated by the happenings of the Lantern universe, in order to link it with Geoff Johns and therefore boost sales. The only surefire sellers at DC during that time were Green Lantern and Batman. Its pretty much the same old story with the New 52, except a lot more is worth buying. New 52 revitalized and gave an exciting new direction to some of the properties, with good writing, and at the same time failed with others.

Its not the reboot. Because, actually, a majority of the New 52 titles came out incredibly strong at the beginning. I can't think of any of the first arcs of the titles that I read that I didn't enjoy. I even thought the first arc of Teen Titans was pretty strong. No, instead, its what DC editorial has chosen to do once they were some ways into the reboot. All of sudden rewriting what had already been written, interfering with creative teams, etc.

End of story, Bob Harras needs to go. NOW!! He's is ruining what could have been and what still could be a great opportunity for the DC Universe.

Like any company in time there will be strong titles and weak titles. DC's pre new 52 universe had weaker books but it was DC's fault it was there fault from not having any of the the big 7 on the Justice League then they blamed fans when the title did not sell. Many of the new 52 titles that have been huge successes did not get full reboots. I mean tell me one reason why Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, All the Green Lantern books and most of the other successful book could not of been done in the old universe? Truth is you can't books that failed got chanced so much fans did not want this new character dc was selling them.

A reboot is build to last not fall apart 2 years in. So the new 52 is a failure it was not built do last it, It started out hot but burnt out very quickly by sub pair writing bad directions and terrible storytelling that is held together by cross overs. Its not just Bob Harras that needs to go Dan Didio and Jim Lee all need to be given there walking papers as well. The only person I would keep is Johns and lets hope he can fix this mess by rebooting the reboot.

#80 Edited by The Mighty Monarch (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@mrfuzzynutz said:

THIS SO MUCH.

#81 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully, Warner Brothers will put some fresh managers over dc.

#82 Posted by Mr. Messy Face (122 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#83 Posted by Icarus_Ashes (18 posts) - - Show Bio

This should make for an interesting future podcast. Marvel would be wise to pick him up.

#84 Posted by benblanks86 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

I for one simply wish James good luck on whatever he gets up to next. His run on Starman was fucking epic, and I was one of the few (apparently) that picked up The Shade mini because of said work, however I'll be honest in admitting that I haven't kept up on Earth 2 or any of his other endeavors because of budgetary constraints and lack of interest in where DC was headed. Here's hoping he moves on to some awesome project elsewhere.

#85 Edited by Batnandez (511 posts) - - Show Bio

James at Marvel!!! or he can do Image stuff!!!

#86 Edited by bloggerboy (575 posts) - - Show Bio

Soooo, I'm no dectective, but it seems like if you're not Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder or Jim Lee...DC comics is not a fun place to work

#87 Edited by Aeroman (503 posts) - - Show Bio

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

#88 Edited by Kal'smahboi (3519 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, that's really disappointing. He's barely made a scratch on his intention for the series, too. What a shame.

#89 Edited by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio

@inkink said:

@zeeguy91 said:

@mrfuzzynutz said:

Like any company in time there will be strong titles and weak titles. DC's pre new 52 universe had weaker books but it was DC's fault it was there fault from not having any of the the big 7 on the Justice League then they blamed fans when the title did not sell. Many of the new 52 titles that have been huge successes did not get full reboots. I mean tell me one reason why Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, All the Green Lantern books and most of the other successful book could not of been done in the old universe? Truth is you can't books that failed got chanced so much fans did not want this new character dc was selling them.

A reboot is build to last not fall apart 2 years in. So the new 52 is a failure it was not built do last it, It started out hot but burnt out very quickly by sub pair writing bad directions and terrible storytelling that is held together by cross overs. Its not just Bob Harras that needs to go Dan Didio and Jim Lee all need to be given there walking papers as well. The only person I would keep is Johns and lets hope he can fix this mess by rebooting the reboot.

Agreed, except, I would also demote Johns.Then I'd bring back Waid to take his job. And I'd bring in Morrison and Rucka and people who actually care about the characters and their histories.

#90 Posted by tec79 (167 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel this is what happens when each book is treated as part of a whole and the individual stories about the characters are second. The solo titles and books like Earth 2 and Demon Knights need time to develope and adequate support, that is how to build the universe. Wonder Women and Green Arrow since Lemire took over are great examples of how to begin to build a new mythology for these characters, before thrown of Atlantis (which I did enjoy very much) Aquaman was on the same path. Writers have to build the New 52 from the ground up, editorial must understand this event books and cross overs wll not create a thriving shared universe that readers will stay invested in.DC needs to look to someone like Mark Waid to come in to the fold in an Editorial capacity and write Superman.

#91 Posted by Captain13 (3331 posts) - - Show Bio

How many good writers has DC lost now? Diggle, Fialkov, Robinson, Morrison...

#92 Posted by modunhanul (407 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain13: DC still have Morrison I think.

So sad James Robinson is leaving...

#93 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

How many good writers has DC lost now? Diggle, Fialkov, Robinson, Morrison...

First, we don't know Robinson's reasons for leaving. Second, Morrison left simply because he wanted to leave superhero comics for a while and focus on his creator-owned stuff.

#94 Edited by davidgrantlloyd (347 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Didn't see that coming. I wonder who's gonna pick up where he left.

#95 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1109 posts) - - Show Bio

@inkink said:

Well for one, Wonder Woman is vastly different from what the title was before the reboot. The gods have pretty much all been redesigned and pushed in new directions. Wonder Woman herself got a major overhaul in terms of her origin. Swamp Thing and Animal Man are likewise pretty different. I'm pretty sure Buddy's children, Maxine and Cliff were de-aged. Maxine wasn't nearly as connected to the Red before the reboot. And the whole "changes killing a character" theory is pretty untrue. Wonder Woman and Aquaman both had their histories go through overhauls and yet those books are selling higher than they were pre-New 52.

Look. There are things I miss about the Pre-Flashpoint universe too. But I've realized that its probably not coming back and I accept that. Instead, I embrace the good stuff that came with the reboot and hope that some of the elements I loved about Pre-New 52 will be reintroduced.

And I agree about Didio. But Lee should stay on as an artist. I don't care what anyone says. He's still a great artist. And he sells. There's no denying that.

Plus, Geoff Johns would probably not reboot the reboot, even if he wanted to. Because it would make DC look like it made a mistake, and even if you don't like the reboot. There's no way that DC would admit to making a mistake.

#96 Edited by Mezmero (932 posts) - - Show Bio

Cor blimey! This is not good news. Sad to see him leaving.

#97 Posted by StrangeMan (411 posts) - - Show Bio

Welp, as Mr. Fialkov said:

Sending good vibes and love to super brain and huge talent @JamesDRobinson. You should all do the same.

If only DiDio and Johns stopped sucking their own dicks...

#98 Posted by Sawcesome (137 posts) - - Show Bio

My heart is broken and my feelings have gone away.

#99 Posted by jesusdisciple001 (546 posts) - - Show Bio

Now go and write a Ninjak ongoing at Valiant

yeah ninjak FTW still sad and hope a very good writer replaces him

#100 Edited by InkInk (181 posts) - - Show Bio

@zeeguy91 said:

@inkink said:

Well for one, Wonder Woman is vastly different from what the title was before the reboot. The gods have pretty much all been redesigned and pushed in new directions. Wonder Woman herself got a major overhaul in terms of her origin. Swamp Thing and Animal Man are likewise pretty different. I'm pretty sure Buddy's children, Maxine and Cliff were de-aged. Maxine wasn't nearly as connected to the Red before the reboot. And the whole "changes killing a character" theory is pretty untrue. Wonder Woman and Aquaman both had their histories go through overhauls and yet those books are selling higher than they were pre-New 52.

Look. There are things I miss about the Pre-Flashpoint universe too. But I've realized that its probably not coming back and I accept that. Instead, I embrace the good stuff that came with the reboot and hope that some of the elements I loved about Pre-New 52 will be reintroduced.

And I agree about Didio. But Lee should stay on as an artist. I don't care what anyone says. He's still a great artist. And he sells. There's no denying that.

Plus, Geoff Johns would probably not reboot the reboot, even if he wanted to. Because it would make DC look like it made a mistake, and even if you don't like the reboot. There's no way that DC would admit to making a mistake.

Lets see before the reboot Wonder Woman was lost in JMS story arc odyssey so I see zero reason why Azzerello could not have told his story. Aquaman has seen very little change he is still married he still had a son that died there is no reason he could not of had these stories in the old DCU. Animal Man and Swamp Thing could of existed in the old DCU and had the same stories all they needed was a new number one issue it was that simple. Most of these good stories would have worked fine in the old DCU and its simple to see that.

The new universe is a mess that was not well thought out and it has been around to long to fix the mess it has become. So the simple answer is you have to shake it up hugely or you have to reboot again. People forget Marvel had rebooted one after Heroes Reborn so if you do a second reboot that is good people will forget the bad. I think the idea that people will just forget about 70 years of history is ridiculous and far fetched especially when you give them a universe that was not thought out. I am curious what do you miss from the old DCU?

Lee is a great artist but he is one of the worst business minds in comics look at his track record. He is an artist and only and artist people need to learn that. Well when they are losing so heavily to there arc enemy Marvel in market share it obvious to everyone that they made a mistake. DC knows this and if you think they would not reboot again because of pride you are delusional, they want to make money and beat there competition. Right now there making money but not as much as they can and there losing BAD to Marvel.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.