James Robinson Talks 'War of the Supermen' and Free Comic Book Day!

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

If you don't already know, today is free comic book day! FCBD is a celebration of comic books by fans, store owners and creators all throughout the country where readers have the chance to pick up free comics when they visit their local comic shops. One of the most highly anticipated books being released today is War of the Supermen issue #0. To celebrate the cool day, we caught up with Superman writer James Robinson to ask him some questions about the book which hits stores today and what fans can expect from the story. 
  
Comic Vine: War of supermen has been a long time coming, how does it feel to finally see the release of issue zero?
James Robinson: It's great to finally see the culmination of two years worth of stories and characters.  From Geoff Johns' Last Son arc through all the developments with my entry into the world of Superman through to Sterling Gates and Greg Rucka all adding something to the stew.  Now it ends with me and Sterling bringing about a war between Earth and Krypton.  It's been a long road, but a fun one, that I hope those who tagged along for the ride enjoy too. 
 
CV: What can we expect from the characters?
JR: Kal-El goes back to being Superman, Supergirl is a hero in her own right, Superboy and Krypto both kick ass, and Zod returns to his evil ways.
  
CV: What can fans expect from the book? Any surprises in store?
JR: I think fans of Mon-El might be surprised and delighted with the finale in Adventure #11.  It takes the character into unexpected places and then onwards towards the place (and more importantly time) that he was always meant to be.
 
CV: What is the importance of an issue zero?
JR: In regards WoS#0, it's a build up/intro to the weekly roller-coaster that is the War of the Superman.  It will be an added moment of drama for people following events do far, while being a great jumping on point for people new to the story.
 
CV: Why the release on free comic book day? What is the importance of the FCBD to the industry, in your opinion?
JR: It's fun. Free comics.  An intro to the crazy, wonderful world of comics.  Dive in, the water's fine.
 
Be sure to check out your local comic shop today and pick up your free issue of War of the Supermen and let us know what you think!
#1 Posted by llagrok (677 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm honestly glad that JMS will be taking over Superman. Robinson took his shot, with me it didn't land. Good things'a comin'

#2 Posted by Icon (2054 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously, Supes looks constipated on that cover. Art not good. 

#3 Edited by Caligula (12417 posts) - - Show Bio

i can't wait he is coming to speeding bullet in norman OK, for a signing in about a month :D along with Sterling Gates

#4 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I did love Johns Last Son arc.

#5 Edited by Jordanstine (907 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

the cover on my Copy looked Different... But I Sorta like this one too.
#7 Posted by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio

can't wait for all of this to come to an end...these have been some of the best Superman stories in a long time and that goes for all of the Superman family titles

#8 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

JR: Kal-El goes back to being Superman, Supergirl is a hero in her own right, Superboy and Krypto both kick ass, and Zod returns to his evil ways.  

I hate you Robinson. Full year of Greg Rucka painting Zod as a sympathetic warrior who loves his people above all else and is actually relatively reasonable, and you just handwave it.
#9 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by WW-Fan (2738 posts) - - Show Bio

why is there a diffrent cover?
#11 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like Superman or Superman stories for the most part.  A few have held my interest:  Death of Superman, Funeral for a Friend, All-Star Superman, Superman For All Seasons, Red Son...that's about it. 
 
This was an excellent issue.  I felt like it sufficiently caught me up with what I needed to mainly know, the narrative was great, the tete-a-tete dialogue between Superman and Zod was phenomenally written. 
 
I am psyched for this mini-series!!!

#12 Posted by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
"

JR: Kal-El goes back to being Superman, Supergirl is a hero in her own right, Superboy and Krypto both kick ass, and Zod returns to his evil ways.  

I hate you Robinson. Full year of Greg Rucka painting Zod as a sympathetic warrior who loves his people above all else and is actually relatively reasonable, and you just handwave it. "
no....all of the things he did during World of New Krypton were him preparing to invade earth and do you really think that Rucka and Robinson didn't talk all of this over or that Rucka left and said to Robinson "hey do whatever you want"....again no....all of these events have been planned out for the last  year
#13 Posted by lostlantern13 (860 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
"

JR: Kal-El goes back to being Superman, Supergirl is a hero in her own right, Superboy and Krypto both kick ass, and Zod returns to his evil ways.  

I hate you Robinson. Full year of Greg Rucka painting Zod as a sympathetic warrior who loves his people above all else and is actually relatively reasonable, and you just handwave it. "
 
Zod acted that way to gain his people's adoration and trust....doesn't seem that left field to me. Zod's a great strategist....sounds like he's been playing it from the start.
#14 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Rucka let because Robinson didn't like to do research.

RUCKA WE LOVE YOU!

#15 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" no....all of the things he did during World of New Krypton were him preparing to invade earth and do you really think that Rucka and Robinson didn't talk all of this over or that Rucka left and said to Robinson "hey do whatever you want"....again no....all of these events have been planned out for the last  year "
Because he said so in the first 5 exposition pages in WoS0. You can't deny that Zod of  WoNK had character development. The scene where he watches Superman hang out in his cell despite his imminent execution and pardons him afterward, that wasn't part of his all encompassing plan. That was him gaining respect for Kal-El. That was him being a three dimensional character. Reading WoS0, I could easily picture him twirling a mustache. I don't know if Robinson and Rucka shared notes and I don't care, but you can't deny that as soon as Rucka left, all the relations between Superman and Zod simply evaporated.
#16 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Rucka's speciality is developing characters. Not big crisis stories. I'd have him working at my comic company any time I don't have one.

#17 Posted by danhimself (22292 posts) - - Show Bio
@AtPhantom said:
" @danhimself said:
" no....all of the things he did during World of New Krypton were him preparing to invade earth and do you really think that Rucka and Robinson didn't talk all of this over or that Rucka left and said to Robinson "hey do whatever you want"....again no....all of these events have been planned out for the last  year "
Because he said so in the first 5 exposition pages in WoS0. You can't deny that Zod of  WoNK had character development. The scene where he watches Superman hang out in his cell despite his imminent execution and pardons him afterward, that wasn't part of his all encompassing plan. That was him gaining respect for Kal-El. That was him being a three dimensional character. Reading WoS0, I could easily picture him twirling a mustache. I don't know if Robinson and Rucka shared notes and I don't care, but you can't deny that as soon as Rucka left, all the relations between Superman and Zod simply evaporated. "
if Zod would have came right out and killed Superman or had let him be killed then he wouldn't have gained the trust of the other Kryptonians as quickly....it's called stradegy
#18 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @AtPhantom said:
" @danhimself said:
" no....all of the things he did during World of New Krypton were him preparing to invade earth and do you really think that Rucka and Robinson didn't talk all of this over or that Rucka left and said to Robinson "hey do whatever you want"....again no....all of these events have been planned out for the last  year "
Because he said so in the first 5 exposition pages in WoS0. You can't deny that Zod of  WoNK had character development. The scene where he watches Superman hang out in his cell despite his imminent execution and pardons him afterward, that wasn't part of his all encompassing plan. That was him gaining respect for Kal-El. That was him being a three dimensional character. Reading WoS0, I could easily picture him twirling a mustache. I don't know if Robinson and Rucka shared notes and I don't care, but you can't deny that as soon as Rucka left, all the relations between Superman and Zod simply evaporated. "
if Zod would have came right out and killed Superman or had let him be killed then he wouldn't have gained the trust of the other Kryptonians as quickly....it's called stradegy "
I call it borderline retcon. Besides, didn't he already have the trust of other Kryptonians? Superman was the one who had to gain their trust. Besides, I've given you an example that clearly wasn't just strategy. If they planned this for two years (and I'm not saying they didn't), they could have gone ahead and made Zod ruthless and suspicious in WoNK. They didn't. You can't deny that by the end Zod and Superman gained some respect for each other. And then the first words Superman says to Zod in LSoNK being "YOU MAINIAC" just made me bang my head against the wall.
#19 Posted by Neverpraying (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

I was unable to go to a comic store today, lol

#20 Posted by mattydeNero (520 posts) - - Show Bio

It's good to finally have Superman return to Earth.  It's been a year and a half almost since he's been off-world.  Although it was cool to see a heroic side to ZOD -- almost mentoring Kal-El -- after he was shot in an assassination attempt, it's way better to see the vengeful, evil Zod we all know and love comng back to make the House of El his doormat.
#21 Posted by chucksworld (13 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a great read. I was put off by the whole idea of Kal El living on New Krypton. I'm glad Superman is appearing in his books again!

#22 Posted by mavfan626 (4121 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a rip off Marvel World War Hulks Or Hulk Out Heroes

#23 Posted by Ellesar (5 posts) - - Show Bio

GOT DAMMIT! I MISSED FREE COMIC BOOK DAY >=(! I thought it was in the summer X_X!

#24 Posted by Press Oblivion (1643 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting :) 5 I liked War of the Supermen. Thought the tension between Sam Lane and Lois was well done,

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.