James Robinson: "EARTH 2 Wonder Woman Was Not The Last Amazon"

Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

After the release of the first issue of EARTH 2 this Wednesday, the series' writer James Robinson agreed to join us on the latest Comic Vine podcast to answer any questions you might have. What we got in addition to the many answers to your questions was some top-secret, exclusive details in regards to the new series. According to James, Wonder Woman will not be the "last Amazon" as readers were led to believe in issue one. But we'll let him tell you himself.

That [the characters had planned] was all planned from the beginning [i.e. Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman knew they were going to die].The reason why Superman dies the way he does is a very important reason for later. The reason why I had Steppenwolf kill Wonder Woman is because there is a character I am creating for EARTH 2 that will directly involve that…Perhaps Wonder Woman…There might just be one [Amazon] left, that's where I am going with this. As a result, that person hating Steppenwolf…That's important. You will see the "last Amazon." The last Amazon was not Wonder Woman as she had thought. There will be a member of this team, down the line, that will be that [Amazon/Wonder Woman] figure.

If you've followed any of Robinson's work then you already know that he certainly has an affinity for Donna Troy -- he even made her a prominent member of his Justice League series prior to the launch of the "new 52" last year. Now that Earth 2 Wonder Woman is dead, and Donna is clearly missing from the current DC Universe, will she be appearing as a member of Robinson's team in EARTH 2? Or could it be that Robinson is planning to introduce a whole new Earth 2 Amazon character to readers?

== TEASER ==

James also showed the Comic Vine staff some pages from the series next issue, and we tried to ask him about it. The writer mentions during the interview that he is curious as to the next issue's reception because "[there] is a different tone in the second issue." As for those pages we got a peak of? Althought that's "still a secret" and he "can't reveal that," when we asked him about whether he is at all hesitant about the scenes in issue two he replied "absolutely not. I'm ready for it."

The writer also revealed that Hawkgirl would be making an appearance in the upcoming issue and that this Hawkgirl will have some major differences than the version we are currently familiar with. In regards to her origin, Robinson revealed that that's still something "they are working out."

That's something we're still talking about. Her origin is that she linked with another member of the team that we haven't seen yet. The fact that there is no Hawkgirl on Earth Prime means that this will lead to the two eventually meeting.

If you enjoyed EARTH 2, check out the podcast here where James answers all of your questions and reveals exclusive information in regards to his new series.

#1 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

I literally just read Earth 2 before this went up. Score.

#2 Edited by BlackArmor (6137 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really care because I already read the issue but this is a pretty big spoiler to put up the day after the book dropped don't you think? I mean you put a picture of Wonder Woman being killed on the main page........

that being sad this looks cool

#3 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe a return of Fury? Earth-2 Wonder Woman's daughter?

#4 Posted by sentryman555 (765 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really glad their is gonna be a reason for superman dying the way he did. I just felt it was a weird way to send him off but at the time I thought maybe its supposed to have that war sudden death feeling.

#5 Posted by cagedleo730 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm thinking that'll it be a whole new character.

#6 Posted by kennybaese (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say that this post should've had a spoiler tag on it. I guess the narrator let's slip the big three's fate early on in the book, but it's still a pretty big reveal.

That said, I'm still good and on board with this series. I'm going to give it three issues before I add it to the pull proper, but I'm really digging the direction it has gone thus far.

#7 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

I have yet to read all this but already am shocked by what I see here. Still, its sad to see Superman go but this story of this Wonder Woman intrigues me...

#8 Posted by cagedleo730 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus: James Robinson also mentioned that there's a reason why Superman died in that specific manner.

#9 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there on more Superman?

#10 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

More than likely it is not Donna, seeing as how Robinson said he was creating a character, not just including one.

#11 Posted by sj_esposito (457 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't wait for issue two. I know it's probably just me overthinking, but from what was said in the podcast, I think James is going to introduce Green Arrow to E2. If that's the case, then, I'm ready for it too. (I don't want to spoil anything for anyone or even hint at anything if someone doesn't want to know, hence the spoiler tag.)

#12 Posted by cagedleo730 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@sEsposito7: The person you mentioned is on the gatefold cover for FCBD. So he'll appear in Trinity War on Earth Prime. Mr. Terrific has already been announced as coming over from Earth Prime.

#13 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (926 posts) - - Show Bio

Make way!! for the JSA!!!!! mwahahaha. But anyways i hope the new 52 introduces the freedom fighters and the wildcats..... oh my god, thinking about it, since Supes is gone, who would be the new superman??? can it be Mr. Majestic???? cause that would be plausible

#14 Posted by JSAVen (100 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think is, Lyta (Fury), This Diana looked too young, and The real Earth 2, with his husband is Over.

Maybe is Hipollyta or Artemis. perhaps Donna , who knows-

James Robinson thanks for ruined the JSA and Earth 2

#15 Posted by hyperman (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14: The return of Fury would be fantastic. Power girl and huntress are back, and they have had prominent roles in the DC universe the last decades, so what can't Fury have the same treatment????

I think it would be interesting having Donna back as Wonder girl (Yes! if Kara was back was Supergirl after being removed from the universe for almost 20 years and even Barbara is back as Batgirl, what about Donna as Wonder girl???) and Cassie as the new Fury. I like Cassie Sandasmark, but I must confess I'm a huge fan of Donna Troy. XD

#16 Posted by JonesDeini (3620 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mbecks14 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

#17 Posted by htb106 (1641 posts) - - Show Bio

I really want it to be donna because I'm a massive fan of any ex-teen titans, even though they probably wouldn't exist on E2.

#18 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

So we have Atom, GL Alan, Flash Jay, Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific and an Amazon. Not Bad. Need One more for Seven Though.

#19 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11376 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving Earth-2. Not loving that the Trinity died.

#20 Edited by Sekele (276 posts) - - Show Bio

While I love Alan and Jay, there's one character I'd really love to see making a comeback

Abigail Hunkel!

#21 Posted by rfagen62 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

James Robinson and earth 2, after 12 years, has brought me back to comics. Art and story are amazing. Can't wait for issue 2.

#22 Posted by Outside_85 (8700 posts) - - Show Bio

It's strange to read James apparently having affinity for Donna, considering his JLA portrayal off her was perhaps the worst interpretation of her ever written.

#23 Posted by Skaddix (3114 posts) - - Show Bio

Some writers cannot write the characters they say they love well. Matt Fraction springs to mind.

#24 Posted by Onemoreposter (4021 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else think E2 Superman isn't dead?

#25 Posted by entropy_aegis (15210 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I'm pleased that even Stepphenwolf was good enough to kill the Trinity.

#26 Posted by Outside_85 (8700 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

It puts things into a strange perspective that Steppenwolf was able to do so much, while Darkseid was able to do so little.

#27 Posted by eter (203 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sekele said:

While I love Alan and Jay, there's one character I'd really love to see making a comeback

Abigail Hunkel!

Don't forget her granddaughter Cyclone. Both were awesome. I hope they'll appear soon in Earth 2

#28 Posted by entropy_aegis (15210 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

It puts things into a strange perspective that Steppenwolf was able to do so much, while Darkseid was able to do so little.

Johns and his bad writing.

#29 Posted by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

@eter said:

@Sekele said:

Abigail Hunkel!

Don't forget her granddaughter Cyclone. Both were awesome. I hope they'll appear soon in Earth 2

In a move surprising no one, I second this request!

Robinson has reiterated multiple times that Donna is not showing up in Earth-2... either that was a fib (possible), something that has changed given the amount of vocal for it (meh, unlikely) or still entirely true... I'd be down for Donna appearing... wouldn't mind it at all. Initially I thought the Hawkgirl/Last Amazon connection might be the same... she was an "Amazon" during FP after all... I think that might make some people upset though, so I'm not sure I'd buy into that theory... also still waiting on Dr. Fate to make his debut...

#30 Posted by DanteTheRedKnight (114 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow its like james robinson is reading my mind or something! As much as I want to see Donna Troy and i really do a lot! I dont want her to make a debut this way, probably Artemis should be the Amazon figure in the team. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ISSUE!!

#31 Posted by Jake Fury (18394 posts) - - Show Bio

Never been a big fan of JR but issue #1 was REALLY good.

#32 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonesDeini said:

@Mbecks14 said:

Exactly what I was thinking.

For sure.

And she deserve to be redeemed after what Gaiman did to her (looooove Sandman but this still sucked).

#33 Posted by ObsideonDarman (62 posts) - - Show Bio

For fuck sake Comic Vine, way to go and ruin the first issue for me.

#34 Posted by Mercy_ (92685 posts) - - Show Bio

@ObsideonDarman: It's not even in the first issue >_< This is a multi-issue spoiler and I assume something that will be addressed later in this arc, or perhaps further down the road.

#35 Posted by movieartman (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope its Artemis, and if so i hope the colorist gives her a more red colored hair and less the Bright Orange she usualy has

#36 Posted by capelesscrusader (103 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that the removal of the Trinity allows the revamped Golden Age characters to have more of a role in the book that is basically devoted to them.

#37 Posted by MysteryMan38 (20 posts) - - Show Bio

I was reading that issue, and it literally blew my mind. To kill off the Big Three, in a matter of pages, utterly wow. But at the same time, we are introduced to the civilian identities of three of the JSA's original members, Alan Scott, Al Pratt (as an awesome gung ho army man) and Jay Garrick. This whole new take on these Golden Age characters has me excited. Hope this series lasts longer than the revival of the Blackhawks did.

#38 Posted by GothamRed (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm hoping for donna, but fury could work too, let's roll the dice together shall we

#39 Posted by thegamerdaddy (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Great interview!

#40 Posted by cagedleo730 (231 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: Johns had his Deus ex Machina in the form of Cyborg. He cleared the field easily. Earth 2 didn't have that luxury.

#41 Posted by herrweis (431 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe its donna troy AS fury?

#42 Posted by ATVhero (15 posts) - - Show Bio

James Robisson will probably create a new Amazon. Also was Jupiter/Zues Diana's father on Earth 2?

#43 Posted by Peregrine (163 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope the new Amazon is Helena Kosmatos, always felt she was underused in the comics

#44 Posted by AndersAnd65 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Fury??? I'd love to see Lyta Trevor again - but my guess is that her (ret-con) mother Helena Kosmatos might return... A warrior possessed by the Blood Avenger would fit right into the new JSA to avenge Wonder Woman's death. Since our new JSAers are all in their twenties, we probably won't see any pre-Crisis, pre-Flashpoint Infinitors within the next three decades ;-)

#45 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

I am really enjoying the first issue

#46 Posted by Metron144 (102 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

@Outside_85 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Johns and his bad writing.

Uh, you think Geoff Johns is a bad writer? Sorry, but any man who can make aquaman awsome deserves props. Ironically, the JSA is his weakest book. Not that it's a weak book, but it's not as stellar as the green lantern and aquaman. I'm actually looking more forward to the captain marvel stories when i pick up jsa.

This is a book that i'm loving. Issue 2 made me an instant current fan of Jay Garrick. I've always respected that flash and thought he was cool in a classic way, but now I like him even more. I love the direction this is going with the flash still green as far as fighting. I also like how hawkgirl is black, I thought that was a nice touch as far as mixing things up. I hope hawkman is white just to make their relationship interracial. I hope they keep up the great work on this book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.